Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131406 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.
« Reply #1590 on: April 27, 2022, 10:14:08 am »

Ask the artisan if it dug into the ants' nest, or if the ants expanded into our territory. Then wander a short distance into the raw cavern - far enough to explore, not so far as to lose contact with the team (aka within shouting distance or so).

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 27, 2022, 08:28:10 pm »

(Well, some light activity won't hurt.)

At some point Grey replaced his torn robe and gloves.

Grey goes back into the library to pick out a book on crystalline ants, looking for information on their capabilities and whatever motivates them aside from their queen.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 08:36:00 pm by Fire and Glory »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 29, 2022, 02:07:45 am »

Hugh waits beside Debby while she speaks with the ant.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home
« Reply #1593 on: April 29, 2022, 07:00:27 pm »

"It would probably be best to negotiate with the leader or queen of the ants. This just looks like a guard."

Aaron looks around at the cave and crystals through his needle while he waits to see the outcome of Debby's negotiation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 30, 2022, 01:56:05 am »

"It would probably be best to negotiate with the leader or queen of the ants. This just looks like a guard."
"Gotta start with the little guys, also we have to find her first."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 30, 2022, 11:59:42 am »

"Fair enough. I'm guessing the guards will be the hardest to talk to, so I'll leave you alone, now."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 02:04:55 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1596 on: May 02, 2022, 04:49:18 pm »

"I was actually expecting them to be bigger."
Ask the ant what it's doing here and why they're preventing the chime guy from working.

You ask the ant what its doing and why the hive is preventing the "chime guy" from working.  The ant, a bit confused as to why you can speak to it,  says that this is the hive's territory and that that thing is encroaching on it. Interestingly, it further states that its hive is following a mission granted them by the Magi. When you ask about that, it says it doesn't know specifics.

Ask the artisan if it dug into the ants' nest, or if the ants expanded into our territory. Then wander a short distance into the raw cavern - far enough to explore, not so far as to lose contact with the team (aka within shouting distance or so).

The artisan "Says" that he dug into this area and discovered the ants. When he attempted to continue his work they swarmed him and carried off his charms. This didn't harm him but he did have to keep reassembling himself, which made working impossible.

You walk little ways off on your own. The cavern is certainly nice, all these glowing crystals and such, but doesn't seem particularly special. At least not from what you can see here. There does seem to be a lot of ambient magic around though.

(Well, some light activity won't hurt.)

At some point Grey replaced his torn robe and gloves.

Grey goes back into the library to pick out a book on crystalline ants, looking for information on their capabilities and whatever motivates them aside from their queen.

[4]
There are no books specifically about the crystal ants, but in a book entitled "The astrodynamics of the planetary vessel" it does make reference to them. Specifically it states that they are responsible for the "Maintenance of leylines" and that they have complex and vast subterranean dynasties which trace their power back to the  Magi.

Hugh waits beside Debby while she speaks with the ant.

Hugh tries to look friendly and intimidating both at the same time.

Aaron looks around at the cave and crystals through his needle while he waits to see the outcome of Debby's negotiation.

There is a LOT of magic here, and it is moving. It doesn't have the distinct "flavor" of magic used by mages or your kind, its something more primal and raw. Below you can see it in a flowing current so dense and bright its hard to look at while out here you can see wisps of that current drifting by like the gentle water at a river's edge. The crystals here don't seem to be absorbing the magic so much as they're directing it.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 02, 2022, 10:06:38 pm »

Grey rejoins the group.

It is here creating an expansion to the cave and working on some of the underlying mechanisms, as well as doing other work nearby. The other work is why it came here; it needs some help.
He asks the Artisan what exactly does it need to do within the ant's territory.

Afterwards he tries to catch some of the wisps of magic with his needle, outside of the main flow. Best not to stick the needle in there lest it do something unpleasant.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:58:56 pm by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 05, 2022, 12:35:10 am »

"I wonder if they are trying to siphon off the weird extra magic that is infecting the Homunculi Cauldron and causing all those guys to be loonies?"
Inspect the ants through the eye of my needle. Fondly recall my murderlance.
" I only really stabbed that one thing with it, and she didn't even die, really."

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 05, 2022, 05:19:05 pm »

"There is vast amount of magic here in this cave, but it is much more wild looking than even the stuff used by the black homunculus. I think it is the ants' very own magic, or else truly ancient. The crystals seem to direct its flow."

Aaron attempts to know what the original source of the magic river is. He also looks to see if there are any loose fragments of crystal nearby, and picks one up if there is.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 05, 2022, 09:00:38 pm »

Hugh puts his hand on Debbie’s shoulder, looks at her, and asks:  “Soooo!… What’d they say?!

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: May 05, 2022, 11:52:06 pm »

"There is vast amount of magic here in this cave, but it is much more wild looking than even the stuff used by the black homunculus. I think it is the ants' very own magic, or else truly ancient. The crystals seem to direct its flow."
"I found out that Crystalline Ants serve a function in maintaining leylines, by the looks of it this is one of those lines."

(Edited my action.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:59:16 pm by Fire and Glory »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1602 on: May 09, 2022, 08:26:13 pm »

Grey rejoins the group.

It is here creating an expansion to the cave and working on some of the underlying mechanisms, as well as doing other work nearby. The other work is why it came here; it needs some help.
He asks the Artisan what exactly does it need to do within the ant's territory.

Afterwards he tries to catch some of the wisps of magic with his needle, outside of the main flow. Best not to stick the needle in there lest it do something unpleasant.

The artisan spells out that it needs to "Create a new crystalline lattice for the redirection of leyline current to planetary stabilizer number 280."

[6]
You wave your needle around with the intent of gathering some of the wisps of magic that are floating about. Your needle fills with magical energy and you're halfway through going "Huh!" When a crystalline ant jumps onto your face. It doesn't bite or harm you, but it does clamp down hard on your head with its legs.

Aaron attempts to know what the original source of the magic river is. He also looks to see if there are any loose fragments of crystal nearby, and picks one up if there is.

[?]
This magic is the magic of the planet itself for lack of a better word. It comes from every stone, every plant, every animal, from the water, the wind, and the shifting magma deep within. Like a river it has no distinct source, rather endless trickles from all around which run down into it. This river is a Leyline, blood of the planet.

You reach down and pick up a fist sized chunk of crystal. When you look back up the crystalline ant is gone. Huh.

Hugh puts his hand on Debbie’s shoulder, looks at her, and asks:  “Soooo!… What’d they say?!

She apparently says nothing.

"I wonder if they are trying to siphon off the weird extra magic that is infecting the Homunculi Cauldron and causing all those guys to be loonies?"
Inspect the ants through the eye of my needle. Fondly recall my murderlance.
" I only really stabbed that one thing with it, and she didn't even die, really."

[2]
The ant appears to be nothing but a shining mass of magic through the eye of your needle. Magic in the shape of the ant, oddly. Perhaps it is so suffused with magic that its all you can see?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 10, 2022, 09:33:01 am »

"Alright! I won't take any more magic."

Grey slides his needle up his robe's sleeve into the inventory dimension to show the ant that he won't use it to suck up any more magic.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 10, 2022, 04:12:39 pm »

((Is there another All-Tongue somewhere?  This one is broken…))
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 116