Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131395 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.
« Reply #1575 on: April 11, 2022, 10:44:57 am »

"Thank you."
I really don't want to get targeted out of the air like that again.
attempt to convince my robes to change to look like a comfortable casual outfit in sky blue with grey highlights, and feed my needle a simple knife so I can reshape it into something much smaller and less distinctive, and then store it in my reshaped robes.
afterwards go wander around and see how the cavern has reshaped itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The knife you can do. The robes, however, need something to copy. They duplicate things, not generate new things.

Hugh wakes up and goes to the kitchen.  While there, he stuffs a bunch of food, dishes, silverware, cookware, and serving and cooking implements into the sleeve of his robe (enough that he can cook while out on a mission).  Additionally, he looks for a larger frying pan (the largest and heaviest that he can find) and threads it through the eye of his frying pan/needle.  After this, he finds Genesis and Grey and asks to relink with them (and does so, if they agree).  Finally, he goes and checks to see what made that rumbling.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

[6]
Hugh feeds a Wok through the eye of his needle before gathering the rest of what he wants and relinking etc.

"If you want to stay in the cave I won't stop you, but I will say that not every mission will be like that, and as for things you can do here well there's a library with books you could read, a training room in case you want to stab a guy made of wood, and a kitchen you could cook in if you wanted, so there are a few things you can do to entertain yourself while we're not here."
Grab a can opener from the kitchen, the search the library for a book on first aid, then tell Elizabeth she can stay in the cave if she wants to, also go ditch tree cult book in the library.
[2]
You grab a can opener, fail to find a book on first aid, leave Liz behind, and ditch the book.

"It sounds like something is happening. I wonder if our services are needed already."

Aaron goes with Genesis to look at the portal plaque.

Check the plaque at the portal for instructions.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)
The Teleportation gate is closed, and the plaque is displaying nothing. As you ponder this another rumble shakes the cave, stronger this time.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 11, 2022, 07:27:00 pm »

Hugh goes and finds Aaron.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  Aaron, my boy!  What do your cognizant eyes tell you is causing that rumbling?  And where is it coming from?”, Hugh inquires of the cognizant.

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home
« Reply #1577 on: April 11, 2022, 10:05:07 pm »

"I was just going to see if I could bring that knowledge to mind. I don't know how accurate my knowledge is, given that some of the stuff I thought I knew last mission didn't seem very correct. We'll see, though."

Aaron attempts to know what is shaking the cave, whether it has hostile intent. He then tells Hugh what his answer is.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 12, 2022, 03:04:07 am »

"So what's happening?"
Go to the portal room with the others and ask the rumbling what's going on.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1579 on: April 15, 2022, 03:50:40 pm »

"So what's happening?"
Go to the portal room with the others and ask the rumbling what's going on.
"I was just going to see if I could bring that knowledge to mind. I don't know how accurate my knowledge is, given that some of the stuff I thought I knew last mission didn't seem very correct. We'll see, though."

Aaron attempts to know what is shaking the cave, whether it has hostile intent. He then tells Hugh what his answer is.

Hugh goes and finds Aaron.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  Aaron, my boy!  What do your cognizant eyes tell you is causing that rumbling?  And where is it coming from?”, Hugh inquires of the cognizant.

Aaron considers for a moment. Then he raises one finger and shouts "GADZOOKS! THE LIBRARY!" before sprinting away. Hugh and Debby follow after him into the library where they find that part of the cavern wall has collapsed and exposed a crystalline tunnel beyond it. Standing in the hole is...it looks like a humanoid windchime. Its a cluster of golden bejeweled charms connected together with thin silver cords. The charms and cords are all sort of floating in mid air without any clear means of support, but together they form a vaguely humanoid shape.  The windchime places one....its not really a hand but its the end of the arm appendage...on a stone wall smooths the stone down as though it were wet plaster.  As it does this, it gestures at a book shelf thats been knocked over and the shelf rights itself, the books flying back into place.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: April 15, 2022, 04:20:09 pm »

I follow the commotion to the library.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 16, 2022, 02:28:15 am »

"So do we do something about this thing or do we ignore it since it seems to be doing something helpful."
Ask the wind chime thing what it's doing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 16, 2022, 01:04:03 pm »

"Or perhaps it needs our skills for something."

Aaron asks the thing if it needs our assistance for anything.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 17, 2022, 06:00:40 pm »

Mmmm!  Perhaps, the problem’s tasty!  Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs while licking his lips.

Hugh then waits patiently for the construct to speak.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 12:11:31 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1584 on: April 20, 2022, 12:24:16 pm »

Mmmm!  Perhaps, the problem’s tasty!  Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs while licking his lips.

Hugh then waits patiently for the construct to speak.

"Or perhaps it needs our skills for something."

Aaron asks the thing if it needs our assistance for anything.

"So do we do something about this thing or do we ignore it since it seems to be doing something helpful."
Ask the wind chime thing what it's doing.

I follow the commotion to the library.

Aaron asks the construct what its doing and if it needs help. The construct continues to work, smoothing things by hand, but about half its mass floats out of its body and begins arranging and rearranging itself in mid air. These pieces rapidly spell out words, through which it silently explains the situation.

It states that it is a member of the Artisan Corps, another of the Homunculi corps. It is here creating an expansion to the cave and working on some of the underlying mechanisms, as well as doing other work nearby. The other work is why it came here; it needs some help. The area where it needs to work is overrun by what it calls "Crystalline Ants". These ants are known to be intelligent but it cannot speak to them. The Artisan isn't a fighter; though it's form is effectively immortal it can't fight effectively while being "Constantly scattered".  Its stuck; it can't negotiate, it can't fight, and it can't work. It sought out the cavern for backup with its endeavors.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 21, 2022, 03:51:56 am »

"That sounds easy enough I'll go talk to the ants and see what they want."
Get the wind chime guy to show me where the ants are so I can talk to them and find out what they want.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 23, 2022, 09:05:02 pm »

Hugh follows Debby.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 23, 2022, 09:19:21 pm »

"That sounds reasonable enough. Debby, I hope you can resolve this peacefully."

Aaron attempts to know how large these crystalline ants are, tells the others, and then goes to help, staying with Hugh.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1588 on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:21 pm »

"That sounds reasonable enough. Debby, I hope you can resolve this peacefully."

Aaron attempts to know how large these crystalline ants are, tells the others, and then goes to help, staying with Hugh.

Hugh follows Debby.

"That sounds easy enough I'll go talk to the ants and see what they want."
Get the wind chime guy to show me where the ants are so I can talk to them and find out what they want.
[?]
Aaron considers the ants and thinks they're probably larger than normal ants.

The "Wind Chime Guy" reconjoins with the floating pieces and then splits a chunk of himself off again. This one, about the size of a human head, hovers off down the tunnel without a word. The group follows along behind it. The tunnel leads into a large room thats been smoothed but is clearly made of a combination of normal gray stone and gleaming blue crystal.  Further on the tunnel becomes more of a raw cavern and the crystals jut through the stone in glittering spikes and columns. Eventually the floating ball of charms stops  in a largish section of cavern and hovers in place. The group looks around for a few moments before noticing something moving. Inside a crystal near them is a small tunnel, which exits through a hole in the crystal's side. An ant the size of a house cat is sitting at the entrance to this tunnel, waving its antennae. It looks a lot like a normal ant save for two distinctions. First is the size, while the second is the fact that it seems to be growing small clusters of crystal across its black exoskeleton. It has apparently noticed the group but hasn't moved from its position.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 27, 2022, 03:17:18 am »

"I was actually expecting them to be bigger."
Ask the ant what it's doing here and why they're preventing the chime guy from working.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 116