Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 132227 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1230 on: November 17, 2021, 02:05:41 am »

Aaron attempts to know what side of Grey the creature is on, and tells him the answer through the needle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 17, 2021, 03:07:35 am »

"Just like to let everyone know that the trees and animals seem to be afraid of whatever the big head guys are."
Stay with the group and be ready to teleport to Grey's position to help fight whatever might attack him.
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 17, 2021, 10:10:18 pm »

Observe Grey and the gourds through my glove links.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 18, 2021, 01:30:28 am »

Hugh points the eye of his needle towards the link with Grey and speaks into it.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  You’ve got a friend there, do you?  Would you mind scanning the area around you with the eye of your needle?”, Hugh asks.  Hugh then watches the scan through his own needle.  If the scan reveals anything that looks like it might be the creature, Hugh attempts to eat the vegetation between it and Grey through the optical link.  If Grey appears to be in danger, Hugh teleports in, relinking with Grey at the next opportunity.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 18, 2021, 01:58:03 am »

"Alright."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1235 on: November 19, 2021, 12:13:16 pm »

While calling for immediate reinforcements would be the safest option, trying to pin one of these creatures down is proving rather difficult, and beaming in more people would scare it off. Hmm...

Grey flips his needle and quietly speaks to everyone he is connected to. That is, Genesis, Debby, Aa-tou-tou, Youare, Tess, Hugh, and Aaron.

"I think I've tracked down one of the creatures. Only problem is, I believe it knows I am here."

"What I want you all to do is use your links to look through my needle, and if I get attacked or incapacitated, teleport in and back me up. Like what we planned with Aa, but with me as the bait instead. Alright?"

Grey stands his ground. At Hugh's request, Grey brings the eye of his needle up to his face and examines his surroundings for signs of magic.

After a full sweep he switches his grip on the needle, holding it diagonally so that the eye of the needle is near his hip and can view what's in front of him, while the point is next to his head. Wary of any attack, Grey is ready to absorb incoming magic with his needle and if he catches sight of a hostile creature, Maintains its position.

If Aaron can tell Grey where the creature is, and no attacks occur after a few minutes, he Maintains its position and investigates.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)
Hugh points the eye of his needle towards the link with Grey and speaks into it.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  You’ve got a friend there, do you?  Would you mind scanning the area around you with the eye of your needle?”, Hugh asks.  Hugh then watches the scan through his own needle.  If the scan reveals anything that looks like it might be the creature, Hugh attempts to eat the vegetation between it and Grey through the optical link.  If Grey appears to be in danger, Hugh teleports in, relinking with Grey at the next opportunity.

"Just like to let everyone know that the trees and animals seem to be afraid of whatever the big head guys are."
Stay with the group and be ready to teleport to Grey's position to help fight whatever might attack him.
Aaron attempts to know what side of Grey the creature is on, and tells him the answer through the needle.

[1][?]
Hugh attempts to bite at a thing he cannot reach but only see...and ends up chipping several teeth as he bites his own needle. [-1 hp]

Aaron shouts through his needle that there are 6 attackers, all moving in at once in a circle, roughly evenly spaced around Grey. They intend to jump him all at once after distracting him.

[3]
Looking with his needle, Grey can make out several "lumps" of magic out in the darkened woods. He tries to focus on them, looking for a figure by trying to pick out the familiar forms of bones or tissue against the background of plant matter but fails. He mentally notes where each attacker is though.
[6,5]"
The distraction Aaron warned Grey about turns out to be a severed tree branch being hurled at his head from out of the undergrowth. "Not a distraction so much as a first strike" Grey thinks to himself as he deflects the branch with his needle and squares up to face the ambush. The things which burst from the  trees take him by surprise. Gourds. At first he thinks more foliage is being hurled at him but no, these gourds are moving under their own power. They're the things he saw from a distance, vaguely human shape, swollen guard heads on bodies made of twisted vines. Though his impression of a humanoid form was off: it is true those vines cluster together and form limbs but the configurations are not static nor bound to any human plan. What might run like a man one moment runs on all fours the next, then spiderlike, then bunched up in a slithering motion. They shift configurations with distressing speed and ease to whatever will allow them to move the most quickly. They cover the tree strewn distance themselves and him in a matter of moments. As they close in, the bright orange, yellow and red flesh of the gourds reveals that each has a face carved into it. Simplistic faces, but faces none the less.
[1]
Grey attempts to Maintain the position of the incoming Gourds but his magic backfires and pins his feet to the ground.
[5]
Grey, unable to move, has no choice but to stand his ground.  He raises his needle and takes the charge of the nearest gourd head on, using its momentum with a thrust of his own to pierce straight through its hollow "head". The pumpkin shatters in half  and the magic within, a horrible looking twisting black stuff, is sucked into the needle.

An instant later Debby appears out of thin air and  takes up position at Grey's back.  The remaining five gourds are circling the two like wolves, slipping between the trees and probing for weaknesses with sudden charges and retreats.

Observe Grey and the gourds through my glove links.

One set of gourds in the woods do nothing. The other set harass gray. You see both.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 19, 2021, 05:00:12 pm »

Teleport to Grey. The leap straight into the pack, stabbing end first. Aim for the gourd heads. If they start circling me as well, try the perspective trick to grab one and stuff it into my sleeve. If they just rush me, just keep stabbing, and try not to get too separated from Grey and Debby, either way.

Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 19, 2021, 06:07:42 pm »

”Ho! Ho! Ho! The fight is on!”, Hugh laughs as he teleports to Grey and attempts to eat the gourds’ ability to fight, as well as their ability to escape.  If necessary, he switches to using his needle, and/or doing the other things that Genesis is doing.  He also, relinks to Grey at the first viable opportunity.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 09:59:46 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 19, 2021, 06:44:37 pm »

"So the trouble has come to us!"
Aaron jogs down the path toward Grey, with his needle at the ready for the first sign of trouble. If attacked, or when he gets to the fray, he grabs and holds in place one of the monsters with his glove, and stabs any others in range.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 20, 2021, 02:32:28 am »

"Why are gourds attacking us, I thought we'd be fighting people with big heads."
Shoot any gourd that gets near me and try not to shoot any other members of my group.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 20, 2021, 09:49:16 am »

"They don't look very dangerous, relatively. Do they just beat travelers to death?"

Let's try to do something specific, exert our fine control a bit.
If any melon heads are still fighting by the time Grey acts, he forms a new spell, creating a field of magic that Maintains the downwards acceleration of any combative melon head’s head that moves towards the ground.

Ideally that should send any fighting melon head’s gourd plummeting towards the dirt the moment they move, unless they can keep their heads perfectly level.

Grey'll defend himself if attacked but otherwise he'll concentrate on shaping the magic.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:07:45 am by Fire and Glory »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 21, 2021, 02:45:20 pm »

I pull on my thread connecting to Grey and prepare to defend myself and him using my needle.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Hungry
« Reply #1242 on: November 21, 2021, 07:49:19 pm »

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

Not paying attention at the moment but if you update before I catch up, I do the thing the other people are doing, link to Grey and stab the baddies.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1243 on: November 22, 2021, 08:47:54 pm »

I pull on my thread connecting to Grey and prepare to defend myself and him using my needle.

"Why are gourds attacking us, I thought we'd be fighting people with big heads."
Shoot any gourd that gets near me and try not to shoot any other members of my group.
”Ho! Ho! Ho! The fight is on!”, Hugh laughs as he teleports to Grey and attempts to eat the gourds’ ability to fight, as well as their ability to escape.  If necessary, he switches to using his needle, and/or doing the other things that Genesis is doing.  He also, relinks to Grey at the first viable opportunity.

Teleport to Grey. The leap straight into the pack, stabbing end first. Aim for the gourd heads. If they start circling me as well, try the perspective trick to grab one and stuff it into my sleeve. If they just rush me, just keep stabbing, and try not to get too separated from Grey and Debby, either way.

[5,1,6,5]
Tess leaps into battle and immediately splits the head of one of the gourds with the tip of her needle. The ugly magic within the dead gourd vanishes into her needle and she's just turning to attack another when something strikes her square between the shoulder blades [-6 HP].   Debby, who was aiming at another gourd, accidently shot Tess in the back. Hugh, continuing to try and eat very abstract things, attempts to eat the gourd's "Ability to fight".  This proves rather blunt as he simply eats two of them whole, which does prevent them from fighting or escaping as it turns out. He swallows and almost immediately regrets it as he is hit by a debilitating case of hiccups [-1 on next roll]. Genesis leaps out and stabs one of the two remaining gourds in its vines and then smashes the gourd head with a baseball swing. Twisted dark magic is sucked into his needle.

"They don't look very dangerous, relatively. Do they just beat travelers to death?"

Let's try to do something specific, exert our fine control a bit.
If any melon heads are still fighting by the time Grey acts, he forms a new spell, creating a field of magic that Maintains the downwards acceleration of any combative melon head’s head that moves towards the ground.

Ideally that should send any fighting melon head’s gourd plummeting towards the dirt the moment they move, unless they can keep their heads perfectly level.

Grey'll defend himself if attacked but otherwise he'll concentrate on shaping the magic.

[1]
Grey lashes out with some magic but he fucks it up twice. First, he manages to hit Debby. Second, instead of maintaining downward motion, he maintains upward motion. And so Debby, in the midst of apologizing to Tess, suddenly starts floating into the air, pulled by her own head.

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

Not paying attention at the moment but if you update before I catch up, I do the thing the other people are doing, link to Grey and stab the baddies.
[6]
Aa does a flying stab into the remaining Gourd immediately after appearing next to Grey. It looks very cool, except for when she lands face first as the gourd breaks apart under the needle. [-1 HP]

"So the trouble has come to us!"
Aaron jogs down the path toward Grey, with his needle at the ready for the first sign of trouble. If attacked, or when he gets to the fray, he grabs and holds in place one of the monsters with his glove, and stabs any others in range.

We're going to assume you teleport to him, not run down the path. Because remember he ran off into the woods following tracks, not down the path.

Silence, aside from panting breaths, returns to the forest. All the gourds are dead, the ugly black magic which animated them now bound in the needles of their killers. Well except for Hugh; that magic is somewhere in his infinite belly. From a great distance, a strange sound resonates. A musical cry which seems to echo through the trees for several seconds before fading away.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 22, 2021, 09:12:35 pm »

"Good work, everyone. Now, where are we?"

Genesis ignores Debby's floating head and Aa's question - both being issues he was sure would resolve themselves, one way or another. Instead, he considers what he views a a more pressing problem: what was the source of these creatures, and what other tricks does it have on hand?

Relink. Contemplate the difference between this animating magic and that of Elias. Aside from being different due to being two different sources, does this magic display any noteworthy difference? An air of hostility? Death? Mental illness? Also, investigate that cry: did it come from a direction? What kind of music did it evoke?

Edit: Follow along if Grey's needle magic leads him anywhere.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:31:20 am by Ozarck »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 116