Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131740 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #825 on: August 22, 2021, 04:50:04 am »

"Luta's idea of having sea creature minions is not a bad one. If the ship has any fishing gear other than harpoons, perhaps they could haul up a catch of fish and have Debby talk to those as well. I'm not sure a several kilometers wide circle of light would count as bait for sea monsters. Well, I guess those plant things in the water might grow there and attract small fish that the bigger fish would eat ... but I doubt that would matter on account of the Rod of Bounty generating it's own food source. On second thought, I suppose the Hammer's appetite is growing as much as the bait is, so there's that.

I don't have much to report on this end. My investigation into where the Rod came from will take me a day's travel north to a sunken village, and 350 miles north to the local branch of the Grand Atelier.  It's a different sub-group than ours up there, if my local contact's info is anything to go by.

What might really help is something to help you see the situation clearly. Sonar or some kind of scrying pool. And don't forget, we are probably going to need some method of fighting in and over the water. Keep your needle links fresh, in case you need to be pulled back to solid ground."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 22, 2021, 05:10:06 am »

"Debby? How did your efforts go?"
"According to the ocean the hammer is coming up from the bottom a few miles from here and is heading towards the town, then the waves became and arrow."
Debby then points to where the arrow had indicated.
Grab some spare rope, then sew my axe and rifle together while I wait.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 22, 2021, 05:54:46 am »

"Luta's idea of having sea creature minions is not a bad one. If the ship has any fishing gear other than harpoons, perhaps they could haul up a catch of fish and have Debby talk to those as well. I'm not sure a several kilometers wide circle of light would count as bait for sea monsters.

I don't have much to report on this end. My investigation into where the Rod came from will take me a day's travel north to a sunken village, and 350 miles north to the local branch of the Grand Atelier.  It's a different sub-group than ours up there, if my local contact's info is anything to go by.

What might really help is something to help you see the situation clearly. Sonar or some kind of scrying pool. And don't forget, we are probably going to need some method of fighting in and over the water. Keep your needle links fresh, in case you need to be pulled back to solid ground."

"The idea is to catch the the thing's attention, if this beastie is mean enough to go around destroying ships then hopefully a globe of light will be unusual enough to draw it in. Worst comes to worst Tess can always stab it with her needle, though we want to avoid getting that close of course. I'll see if Youare can manage the bait though."

"A scrying pool would definitely make this easier. Debby just said the ocean told her where the hammer is, and that it's headed towards the town, for now at least. So we have a decent idea of where it is at the moment."

"Frankly fighting underwater sounds like suicide to me. Tess should be durable and quick but for the rest of us to go down there would be a quick path to a watery grave, even if we could breathe underwater. Maybe Dew can come up with something but I think if it keeps out of our reach magic will have to suffice."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 22, 2021, 06:11:47 am »

"Heading toward town? I better warn Ericson."

Return to Ericson and let him know that the Hammer seems to be heading toward town. Let him speak directly to Debby through the link if he needs more info. Then ask about the use of a balloon (and guide) to fly up to the sunken town and then to the Atelier branch.

Additionally, I have a secret action I am posting via PM. Don't worry, it shouldn't affect anyone but Genesis.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:23:48 pm by Ozarck »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 22, 2021, 06:20:00 am »

Grey talks with the captain.

"We have determined that a purely magical solution is impractical and so we are ready to assist with whatever strategy you decide to put into action, captain."

Grey relays to the captain what Debby discovered in regards to the rough location of the hammer, how deep it is, and where it is headed.

Grey later examines the rifle-saber through his needle to determine if the saber-bayonet's magic is concentrated in the blade or if it's spread into the rifle as well.

Grey also determines if the Leaden Crown has any small boats attached to it, in case someone has to go out alone.

The captain also mentioned something about a fleet of smaller ships accompanying us earlier? How many are we looking at here?

By the way, I'm not sure I want to ask but where is the teleport conduit?

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:33:05 am by Fire and Glory »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 22, 2021, 09:47:40 am »

Grey appears deep in thought for a few moments before speaking out.

"Alright, I'm going to admit that this plan is not very good. The best plans are simple, and this plan isn't, there's too much magic involved. Magic shape shifting, magic bait, magic monster levitation, magic light source for seeing in the dark, magic pinpointing the monster's location. It's too much."

"The latest issue I've thought of is that if we place some kind of monster bait on Tess's person, she could easily be intercepted by a different kind of leviathan, even if she's headed straight towards The Hammer. The captain even said that if we go spreading lots of bait around to attract the hammer, we're liable to fight a few other monsters first."

"In order for this plan to succeed, first Tess needs to turn into water and be able to carry her stuff, something she's not sure she's able to do. Then she needs to be able to see in the dark, which might be time consuming to give her the ability, assuming the magic doesn't backfire and do something terrible. Then she needs to find the hammer without getting caught by another leviathan, which could easily happen. And while Debby has told us the direction and rough depth the hammer is at, there's no guarantee that Tess will be able to find it by the time she gets there. Then she needs to induce the monster to give chase, and then zap it with the magic spell which would launch it out of the ocean. This is assuming the monster doesn't have messed up powers which would be deadly to Tess, and that the monster isn't in fact several monsters, and that a spell in a needle is powerful enough to effect a beast of great size long enough to achieve its purpose."

"It's not a completely terrible plan that would never work, it's just that I think the captain's plan is much better. Sorry for bringing you out here Tess, my enthusiasm got the better of me."

"If none of you object, I propose we go with what the captain originally planned. We spread a heap of bait around, kill a mundane monster or two which shouldn't be too hard. The bait and gore will draw the hammer in, and then we kill it."

"Using the information Debby gave us of the hammer's whereabouts, we might not even have to fight any regular monsters as the captain could potentially get us close enough to draw the hammer in before any other sea beasts take notice."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:26:30 am by Fire and Glory »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 22, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »

Explain to the squid that it will need to find the boat and attack any monsters that come after the boat. Then ask it to use it’s tentacles to help pull itself into the water.

Whether or not the squid gets in the water, once again use a ROCK to make a ROC

Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 22, 2021, 03:22:42 pm »

"Using your abilities to assist in the Mundanes' plan is probably wisest. They have experience with this and are seasoned and skilled seafarers. And as you said, Grey, their plan has fewer complications than our collection of random ideas does. I am sure that you will be better able to act once things start happening."

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 23, 2021, 08:26:04 am »

"I don't hear any objections so I'll inform the captain of what has been decided."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 23, 2021, 10:30:11 am »

(Question, I think I remember the captain saying everyone gets an axe and spear, correct me if I’m wrong, if so, what did the captain give us?)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 23, 2021, 11:16:55 am »

An axe and a rifle

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 23, 2021, 12:45:28 pm »

(Thanks, what do bullets tend to be made of? I know the axe head and rifle are made of metal, and the handle of the axe is likely made of wood or metal)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Take a bullet and put the words TALL CASTLE in my needle using METAL BULLET CASING as the letter source
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:30:06 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 23, 2021, 08:48:01 pm »

(Thanks, what do bullets tend to be made of? I know the axe head and rifle are made of metal, and the handle of the axe is likely made of wood or metal)
((Bullets can vary but usually the bit fired out of the gun is lead while the shell casing is made of brass. Often the lead can be “jacketed” with some other metal, like copper, to grant it better penetration. This is common for rifle rounds, I think. There’s also the primer and gunpowder of course, but those are sealed in the casing. Still, anagram magic could possibly reach through the casing and touch those materials as well.))

((Considering the time period I think it’s likely for the rifle to have some wood on it too.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:02:40 pm by Fire and Glory »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 23, 2021, 09:55:11 pm »

((Bullets can vary but usually the bit fired out of the gun is lead while the shell casing is made of brass. Often the lead can be “jacketed” with some other metal, like copper, to grant it better penetration. This is common for rifle rounds, I think. There’s also the primer and gunpowder of course, but those are sealed in the casing. Still, anagram magic could possibly reach through the casing and touch those materials as well.))

((Considering the time period I think it’s likely for the rifle to have some wood on it too.))

((A few more things:  depending on the time period, the lead in the bullet might be alloyed with a small amount of bismuth.  The primer compound might contain either mercury or lead as one of it’s components depending on the time period.  The primer compound will be inside a tiny tin cup.  Also, the gunpowder is likely to be nitrocellulose, which is also called guncotton.  There’s probably more to add, but I think I’ll stop here…))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 23, 2021, 10:09:04 pm »

((Yeah there's a lot of little changes and variations. It's hard to say what exactly you would find in these bullets.))
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 116