Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131118 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Occam's Razor
« Reply #450 on: July 06, 2021, 10:47:31 pm »

((I hope BP makes another character though. Hope I didn't scare him off too much. After all, what's a little stabbing between friends fellow forumites? Probably be a personal record if I did scare him off. So there's that, I guess))

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 06, 2021, 11:59:41 pm »

((I'm glad I'm not in there with you guys. Although, Sunny is very much a team player.))
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2021, 06:03:32 am »

"Hello."
I speak to the crying individual, mostly just to let her know that I'm here and avoid suprising her.
"Are you able to talk about what happened?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 08, 2021, 09:01:11 am »

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)
I hope I can join

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 08, 2021, 02:09:45 pm »

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)
I hope I can join
((Delete the first line of the spoiler, and post an action to pick up and equip your robe, gloves, and Needle. Then, if you want into the mission, post action to go through the portal. If you want ot explore home base, well, there's a minimap in the OP))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2021, 02:26:25 pm »

Pick up and equip my robes, gloves and needle, then walk through the portal
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 07:47:59 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2021, 07:19:56 pm »

((I hope BP makes another character though. Hope I didn't scare him off too much. After all, what's a little stabbing between friends fellow forumites? Probably be a personal record if I did scare him off. So there's that, I guess))

if i could have gotten on when you asked to stop the fight, i would have agreed.  but unforseen circumstances (and unforseen idiots) caused me not to be able to get on after i posted that last post. 

heres my new character:
take a bath, grab my stuff, hop through the portal, and grab the bag of loot that rairvuch had.  then find the person who looks like theyre the closest to figuring something out and ask how i can help
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:09:23 pm by BlackPaladin99 »
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2021, 07:44:13 pm »

((don't forget to put the needle, robe, and gloves in your inventory))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 09, 2021, 07:48:08 pm »

((Done))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2021, 08:41:45 pm »

if i could have gotten on when you asked to stop the fight, i would have agreed.  but unforseen circumstances (and unforseen idiots) caused me not to be able to get on after i posted that last post. 

heres my new character:
take a bath, grab my stuff, hop through the portal, and grab the bag of loot that rairvuch had.  then find the person who looks like theyre the closest to figuring something out and ask how i can help
We're gonna assume, since a cluster is forming down here, that You're with Tess.

Your Element is "Light".  As in that thing what helps you see, not the quantity of being unheavy.

Pick up and equip my robes, gloves and needle, then walk through the portal
We're gonna assume you're with Lenglon/Tess.

A smile spreads across his face "I was silly to think we'd never be friends, I love you too Friendship." feeling complete Sunny decides it is time to see where he was and why! Once he eventually finds the portal and the board he hesitates to go through "How are you portal? Did anyone pass through you recently? I hope they asked first. " obviously portal's deserved to ask consent before being used as a means of travel.

[1]
The portal says it doesn't want you to come in. No one ever asks.

Uh...I was gonna put you with Tess but now you've gone and annoyed the portal so...I don't really wanna have you just blithely run through because I'm not sure where it will put you. It might shoot you into space or something.

"Hello."
I speak to the crying individual, mostly just to let her know that I'm here and avoid suprising her.
"Are you able to talk about what happened?"

As you approach, hands raised in a non-threatening gesture, the Frog girl turns to you. Tears of molten brass are streaming down her face. She stares at you for a moment and seems about to say something when she suddenly looks up, eyes apparently focusing on something far beyond the ceiling. The look on her face shifts rapidly from despair to surprise and then to rage. She rises to her feet, her eyes still locked on that point far above, and holds herself as she shivers with barely contained anger.  You're about to say something when she finally can contain it no longer and screams out, stamping one foot against the lily pad.  The entire room maybe the entire world rings like a struck bell, the metallic water races outward away from the lily pad and her scream seems to be echoed by a roar that vibrates every fiber of your being.

Grey yells out as he stumbles away from the murderous wheel serpent.
"Magi damned thing!"

"I'll try to keep it from moving!"

He sends out his magic to Maintain the position of the wheel's base/body, spending one fate point and hopefully paralyzing it. He then steps forward and attempts to thrust his needle into the creature, regardless of the magic's success.
Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
[1,1]
"MAINTAIN!" Grey shouts, pointing at the wheel. He then maintains his own position, standing rooted perfectly still where he managed to freeze himself in place.

The Speaker stands back and examines the wheel-serpent through the eye of his needle.

I think I’ll expend 1 fate point on this.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)
[6,5]
The magic in the wheel is the same as in all the others- that twisting root sort of thing- but its been changed. Rather than the living, writhing roots of all the other living objects, these roots are smoldering, blackened, and glowing with an inner fire. The fingerprint brand on the back of the wheel is glowing like a hot ember, visible through the wood as a point of yellow-orange light.

"Damn statues wasting my time....        What the fuck is that thing!"
Keep far from that weird thing, to make sure Elizabeth can't get hurt by that thing.

You bundle Elizabeth against your chest and run to the other side of the room, taking cover next to the throne.

Youare attempts to reach the wheel's base and remove the function "Move" from the gears and pistons.

"Try not to kill it. Not before we can interrogate it, at least."

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
[3] You try to run in and rip the function out of the gears but  are forced to immediately back pedal out of harm's way as the wheel's tail whips around and carves through the space you were standing moments ago.  The entire creature is squirming and whirling about like a tempest of gears and wood,  its wheel head swaying to and fro.

Re-emerge from the ether. Send grass lad and grassassin to attack the wheel. Then do the same with my saber. (Assuming I would be nearby)
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

[5,4]
Luta and her Grassassins charge in and start swinging . They strike the wooden  beast  and cleave into it, but it seems to have little effect. A few chops of a hatchet doesn't seem like it will be enough to fell this monster.

"This looks like a job for Bob! Can I belt it? I sure hope so!"

"Also, Genesis, I would like to see your Needle when we're done if you don't use up that magic. I bet I could turn that dead guy's magic into a glass-manipulating belt. Then we'd still have the guy's utility without the kleptomania. Unless the belt is cursed or something."

Bob is well acquainted with belt snakes since the last mission, and that monster is clearly a giant belt. I mean seriously, the wheel is like a built-in buckle. With that thought in mind, Bob attempts to use his belt powers to control and restrain the steering wheel "snake" which is totally a belt (from a relatively safe distance of course). It shall kneel before Bob!

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

Bob may have convinced himself a snake is a belt. Or that a living wheel with a long tail made of gears and wood is a belt. Its entirely possible he believes this. Luckily for the clothing merchants of the world, his belief does not influence the definition of belt.  His attempt to control the magical wheel snake does not succeed.

"Expose the brand on the back of it's post!"

If Grey's magic takes hold, dash around behind the wheel and stab it in the brand, if  I can reach. Else, stay in front and wait for opportunities to stab. Aim at the eyes, but hit whatever I can.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
"En Garde, foul beast!"
work with Genesis to stab at the wheel, aiming to cripple, not kill.
[4,5]
Genesis and Lambo Both charge in, dodging through the whirling gears and wooden debris. Genesis' blow lands first, the needle sinking surprisingly deep into the wood and metal amalgamation. Unlike the wolf, who burst out of existance like a gore filled soap bubble, the wheel-snake just sort of crumbles. The wood and metal don't vanish or corrode, they just drop to the ground as inanimate as you'd expect them to be. Lambo takes the opportunity Genesis gives him and jams his needle in further up the wheel's body.  After he yanks his needle free and backs off the Wheel is only 2/3rds as long as it used to be, large sections of it laying scattered and dead on the ground. 

The wheel lashes out, swinging its grinding, bludgeoning tail in a wide arc. [6,1,4,3] Luta dives away, straight into a bookshelf [-1 hp]. Youare [+1 fate] [1] gets his feet soundly whipped out of under him and falls flat on his face [-1 hp]. Lambo manages to get out of the way but has to run a fair way back from the creature, out of range for more stabbing. Genesis [-4 HP] gets clipped in the head by the blow and goes tumbling backwards, his precious pureblood spurting copiously from a bone deep gash in his scalp and forehead.

As the wheel winds up for another swipe the room vibrates violently. The crying of the frog outside shifts into a wail that about bursts the eardrums of everyone within every miles.  And then something reduces the balcony to splinters. A metal battering ram arcs up and into the room, slamming through the balcony and directly into the wheel. For an instant  it stops, the house sized rounded protuberance of brass pressed tight against the wheel. Just as the team recognizes what that thing is- the tongue of the giant metal toad- it tears back out of the room like a bullet, the suction of its departure powerful enough to yank everyone off their feet and completely scatter most of the contents of the room. Bits of paper, dislodged ceiling beams, dust, and splinters flutter and rain down in the wake of the thing's departure, leaving a gaping hole and the unobstructed view of the desert. And beyond the desert...mountains.  There is no sign of the wheel, but the frog is hurrying forward. Forward towards the Mountains in the North.

"Spare a thought won't you? For the unique pains of a mage."

From behind those great northern mountains a figure appears. It rises up as though it were just laying behind the mountains, large enough that the great snowy peaks in the distance barely reach past its knees.

"What does a man who can bring anything to life feel when death takes the thing he loves most?"

The figure steps over the mountains like mild inconveniences and walks forward. He takes several enormous steps, covering what must be tens of miles in a single movement, before something odd happens. He lifts his foot up and as it comes down it lands on the shattered end of the room and all at once he's the size of a normal person. There was no obvious shrinking, no change in his appearance...it was as though his great size was some trick of perception, an optical illusion broken as he stepped into the room.

"What subtle empathy lead him to worry about the free will of inanimate objects?"

It is impossible to describe this person, every aspect seems to shift the team's mind and can never be firmly grasped. Old or young, tall or short, fat or skinny, the color of his skin or eyes, the cut of his hair, it all refuses to focus in their minds. It is not that he is changing or shifting shapes rapidly...they simply cannot grasp and hold any detail.  Aside from the vaguest inclination he his male, and one article of his otherwise incomprehensible clothing: A medallion bearing the insignia of an eye. The same eye that adorns the team's robes and gloves.

He stood before broken homes and broken bodies and realized the folly of his war. He took the only thing of value from that burnt and ravaged place and disappeared. Can one life make up for thousands, or was that even his intent? Who saved who that day?

The man stands in front of the group and somehow they know he is smiling in a sad way.

"That is the great secret. In spite of it all, we are still very human at heart."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Seclusion
« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2021, 09:01:44 pm »

"He seemed like a good sort. His creations loved him. I'm sure those he killed were less grateful. But what do I know? Have you come to settle the matter? how may we be of assistance, sir?"

Attempt to converse with the guy without being a jackass. No ack'ing.

Also, attempt to staunch the bloodflow. use the bedsheet or something, but make sure no pointy bits are in it when I do. Let's keep that blood inside my body.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 09:14:00 pm by Ozarck »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Unique Pain
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2021, 09:52:55 pm »

What is the ceiling made of?

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2021, 10:18:41 pm »

"So are we not going to deal with the individual who caused all this?"
Flameo gestures at the wheel and the corpse and the crying fox and the angry frog
ask questions, help staunch Genesis' bleeding

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2021, 10:32:17 pm »

As, questions to figure out what the problem(s) are and what/who caused them

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher