Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131234 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Seclusion
« Reply #435 on: July 05, 2021, 10:20:15 pm »

A Hand?”, The Speaker looks at Genesis, then at Elias’s body, then back at Genesis.

Do you want me to cut one off the corpse?!
"No, it was a figure of  ... just forget it. Do not mutilate the corpse!"

((sorry, I didn't see your post earlier))
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:05:32 pm by Ozarck »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2021, 11:15:49 pm »

"Now you," Genesis snarls at Rairvuch, "You wanna drop Elias' belongins and apologize to Miss Elizabeth for your inconsideration?"

“Do you want to be squished Into a red paste next time we fight a monster? If not, I suggest you get some loot and stop being a goody-goody.” 

Pull out the needle.  Order my glass to turn into a ring around my longswords hilt.  have the glass ring stab genesis with the sword, if not, then order the rest of my glass to carry off the armory and my bag of loot toward the portal, and ask around for some bandages.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stab again. use a fate point for attack, and, should I need a roll for defense, a fate point for defense.

"Next time we do what? You've been out of the cauldron all of ten minutes, haven't you? Were you planning on fighting the castle frog?

Are you as stupid as I think you are?"

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
[3v5,3][5]
Rairvuch grabs at the needle, trying to yank it out of him with blood-slick hands. Genesis grabs Rairvuch by one shoulder and rips the needle free before immediately slamming it back into the newly birthed Homunculus' throat.  There's a half second of gurgling before Genesis steps to the side and twists the needle hard, ending the fight with a final crack of bone. Genesis pulls the Needle out of the body and wipes the blood  off on Rairvuch's robe. He stands there breathing hard for a few moments before looking back at the rest of the group.

"We should clean this up."

"Hmh...Fine, you have a point. So long as you have a practical reason for this, I won't interfere."

After observing whatever follows for a few moments, Grey takes the the broken wheel-piece that got stuck in Elias, and fits it in place where it broke off the wheel. He then Maintains contact between the broken piece and the wood of the wheel. After which he will try turning the wheel again.

If the magic fails, he will settle for holding the broken piece in place as best he can.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

[1] +1 fate

We'll get back to that.

Bob watches the outcome of the scuffle to see if anything interesting happens. If he doesn't, he starts searching Elias' bookcase and the walls. Maybe there is a secret compartment up here or something.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

Bob shrugs at the murder of one of his teammates and goes to check for secret passages and hidden walls. He finds nothing, though his method for searching is mostly just to wiggle random books and slap walls.

"Well that shouldn't be to hard to get since some of my colleagues are busy killing each other."
Go find a cup or something to collect the blood of that guy that just got stabbed, then give the cup of blood to the statue.
We'll get back to this too.

"Good that that you're here. I don't think Mages can rewrite the universe, that's roughly the distinction between Mages and Magi, after all. My guess is that they have magic like you and me, but scaled up a bit."
 -

"Thank you. That is interesting. And yes, you're right, mages are not quite Magi."

Youare stands absently for a few moments, thinking. He then calmly walks over to the entrance to the study, before shutting and locking whichever doors he can, separating the party from the rest of the tower. This done, he speaks quietly to the homunculi around him, keeping well away from the metal frogs and the stuffed fox. Time allowing, he looks through his needle at the steering wheel and the huge frog below, trying to determine what the wheel is connected to: nothing, the frog, the whole tower, etc.

"So there are a couple of questions we need answers to. The first is how come this tower thinks that a man called Elias controls it, when we were asked to pacify the home of a "she". A little unusual, don't you think?"

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
And this as well.

I slowly walk towards the source of the crying, continuing to look around as I do so, looking for the source and preparing to offer comfort.

Spoiler: Tess (click to show/hide)
the hall opens up into a wide dome, a sort of terrarium of metal and stone. Its form is that of a sort of decorative lake or swamp, dominated by a great body of liquid ringed by a shore and crisscrossed with stepping stone walkways. The "water" of the pond is liquid bronze, not molten but still liquid. The fronds and ferns and tall grass that ring the pond are bronze, while the floating lily pads are silver and gold. The dragonflies flitting about are platinum and appear to be made of delicate lace instead of prefect recreations of insects. Overhead, sitting on a metal platform that somewhat resembles a wagon wheel, is a larger ball of flame, which waves to the group as they enter. Though it has no face, it has a huge mustache made of curling fire. Out in the lake, across a stepping stone path of what looks like petrified wood carved into the shapes of lily pads, is a gazebo of sorts. It resembles a giant mangrove but curved in a "C" shape, so its boughs overhang its tangled roots and form a covered platform. A large swing, big enough to fit two comfortably and covered in cushions, hangs from the branches. Despite the utter artificiality of it all, there is still a pleasant cool breeze and the smell of rain in the air somehow.

In the center of the pond, curled up on a big metal Lily Pad, is a child sized frog. She's crying quite piteously.

A few very important things happen all at once. Youare begins surreptitiously closing the door and, because there are no homunculi far enough away from potentially prying eyes and ears, checks on the wheel. At the same time, Debby is carrying the statue of the gargoyle over to the spreading pool of blood beneath the body of his former teammate. He places the statue in the blood and it starts getting sucked up and into the base of the thing. And finally, Grey rather stupidly takes the handle from the wheel and attempts to smash it back into place by force instead of magic. 

After drinking its fill the statue whispers "The Wheel" to Debby.  Debby sighs, thinking this is a failure, the result of overly literal interpretation of the question. Meanwhile, Youare thinks of something while staring at the magic in the wheel. That twisted root magic is Elias' signature, and his magic is about animating inanimate objects.  So why does an apparently inanimate wheel contain animation magic?  He thinks of this just as Grey slams the broken end of the handle against the wheel for the third time.  And as he raises his hand for the fourth, the metal eyes of the face plate of the wheel snap open and focus on him. [5] The wheel lunges forward, spinning its handles like a buzz saw of cudgels as the wooden base flexes like a striking cobra.  Grey, apparently through sheer spinal reflex, leaps to the side as the wheel hisses past him.  The wheel pulls itself back a moment later and  its base rips free of the floor, rising up on a coiled length of wood and brass gears and shafts, apparently the machinery of the driving system. 

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Occam's Razor
« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2021, 11:33:16 pm »

Grey yells out as he stumbles away from the murderous wheel serpent.
"Magi damned thing!"

"I'll try to keep it from moving!"

He sends out his magic to Maintain the position of the wheel's base/body, spending one fate point and hopefully paralyzing it. He then steps forward and attempts to thrust his needle into the creature, regardless of the magic's success.
Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:50:03 am by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 05, 2021, 11:38:33 pm »

"Expose the brand on the back of it's post!"

If Grey's magic takes hold, dash around behind the wheel and stab it in the brand, if  I can reach. Else, stay in front and wait for opportunities to stab. Aim at the eyes, but hit whatever I can.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:51:39 pm by Ozarck »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #439 on: July 05, 2021, 11:54:00 pm »

"En Garde, foul beast!"
work with Genesis to stab at the wheel, aiming to cripple, not kill.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2021, 12:10:44 am »

The Speaker stands back and examines the wheel-serpent through the eye of his needle.

I think I’ll expend 1 fate point on this.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2021, 04:18:29 am »

"Damn statues wasting my time....        What the fuck is that thing!"
Keep far from that weird thing, to make sure Elizabeth can't get hurt by that thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2021, 06:22:12 am »

Youare attempts to reach the wheel's base and remove the function "Move" from the gears and pistons.

"Try not to kill it. Not before we can interrogate it, at least."

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 06, 2021, 08:42:28 am »

Re-emerge from the ether. Send grass lad and grassassin to attack the wheel. Then do the same with my saber. (Assuming I would be nearby)
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 11:41:34 am by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 06, 2021, 11:16:24 am »

A smile spreads across his face "I was silly to think we'd never be friends, I love you too Friendship." feeling complete Sunny decides it is time to see where he was and why! Once he eventually finds the portal and the board he hesitates to go through "How are you portal? Did anyone pass through you recently? I hope they asked first. " obviously portal's deserved to ask consent before being used as a means of travel.

Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #445 on: July 06, 2021, 03:45:55 pm »

"This looks like a job for Bob! Can I belt it? I sure hope so!"

"Also, Genesis, I would like to see your Needle when we're done if you don't use up that magic. I bet I could turn that dead guy's magic into a glass-manipulating belt. Then we'd still have the guy's utility without the kleptomania. Unless the belt is cursed or something."

Bob is well acquainted with belt snakes since the last mission, and that monster is clearly a giant belt. I mean seriously, the wheel is like a built-in buckle. With that thought in mind, Bob attempts to use his belt powers to control and restrain the steering wheel "snake" which is totally a belt (from a relatively safe distance of course). It shall kneel before Bob!

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 06, 2021, 04:10:08 pm »

"Also, Genesis, I would like to see your Needle when we're done if you don't use up that magic. I bet I could turn that dead guy's magic into a glass-manipulating belt. Then we'd still have the guy's utility without the kleptomania. Unless the belt is cursed or something."

"I don't think the Needle absorbed any power from stabbing him. Maybe we are immune to that effect."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 06, 2021, 05:21:54 pm »

"I don't think the Needle absorbed any power from stabbing him. Maybe we are immune to that effect."

"Aww, we were gonna be belt bros. Well, the offer still stands. If your Needle picks up some magic you want me to turn into a belt, let me know. Everybody should have belts. Also, they're a handy tool if I need to rescue falling people in the future. It works much better when they're already being worn."
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 06, 2021, 07:14:48 pm »

"Aww, we were gonna be belt bros. Well, the offer still stands. If your Needle picks up some magic you want me to turn into a belt, let me know. Everybody should have belts. Also, they're a handy tool if I need to rescue falling people in the future. It works much better when they're already being worn."
"Maybe it's because I am distracted, what with the murder, the other murder, and the current attempted murder, but you make  a lot of sense, Bob."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 06, 2021, 10:10:43 pm »

"Maybe it's because I am distracted, what with the murder, the other murder, and the current attempted murder, but you make  a lot of sense, Bob."

((I’ve got it!  Genesis in the mage’s room with the needle!))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 116