Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131623 times)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Castle Doctrine
« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2021, 02:17:17 am »

The speaker turns to the others.

It sounds like there are mundanes upstairs. We’d better be careful.”, he says with worry.

"It sounds more like magical constructs, like the cannons. Though we should definitely show caution."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Timberwolf
« Reply #241 on: June 06, 2021, 08:31:53 am »

Reach out with my needle for Bob to grab hold of to pull him to shore. Brace my self so he doesn't pull me in as well. Once we're both ashore, head to the elevator. Ask the frog:
"Can you remember what it was that Elias said had been subverted? was it a person? a part of the castle? something external? Something of his magic?"

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:54 am »

“What are our ‘rules of engagement’ for threats we encounter? And what kind of danger can we expect?”
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 06, 2021, 12:48:33 pm »

The Speaker then turns back to the toad.

Yes, please call the elevator for us.  And thank you for warning us about the mundanes upstairs!

He then heads to the elevator.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2021, 06:58:02 pm »

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Suppose that's true.

Turn some of this LIQUID BRONZE into a DRONE.  Order it to follow me as I get on the elevator with the rest.

[5]
Drip places a hand on the surface of the copper lake and manipulates some of its essence. The "DRONE" that emerges is about 7 feet tall and appears to be liquid bronze just sort of...staying in a roughly humanoid shape. It sort of sloshes and sides around.

Bob still did not understand the fascination with bronze, even floating on it. He supposed it was pretty cool, but it would be even cooler if it was belts. And not suspending him in the middle of the laziest river ever.

Back to the basics. While floating on his back, Bob stretches his arms out to the sides before bringing them back parallel to his torso.  Bob tries to use this repeated motion to swim himself back to the edge of the liquid and climb out. Failing that, he holds onto his belted Needle and controls the belts on it to fly the Needle to a dry spot on solid bronze carefully. It wouldn't do to dislocated his wrist or shoulder, but he also needs to get to the platform with the others.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

Bob half slides, half backstrokes his way over to the edge of the lake and then drags himself up and out of it. Even doing this is surprisingly hard, but he manages with the help of a few other Homunculi.

“What are our ‘rules of engagement’ for threats we encounter? And what kind of danger can we expect?”
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

This seems to confuse the frog, whose head tilts quizzically to the side as she tries to think of a good answer. Finally she bobs back into the water for a moment before rising up again.

"I don't know. No one tells me what the problem is. But...you should do anything you can to help Elias. Even if it means breaking something or causing trouble. You can say I said it was ok. Even if he gets mad at me, its ok...as long as he's ok." She nods as she says the last part, as though affirming it to herself as well.

Reach out with my needle for Bob to grab hold of to pull him to shore. Brace my self so he doesn't pull me in as well. Once we're both ashore, head to the elevator. Ask the frog:
"Can you remember what it was that Elias said had been subverted? was it a person? a part of the castle? something external? Something of his magic?"

"I think it must be a thing he made alive, like me. Something upstairs, or that used to be upstairs. He wouldn't say, but he was looking at all sorts of things. And there aren't people around here, at least not like you. There are lots of living things upstairs though. Lots of things."

She gets a bit quiet, speaking more to herself.

"He likes having lots of things around. Everything he makes is really pretty."

Grey talks to the frogge some more, and pulls Bob out of the bronze if he reaches one of the edges.

”Yes, finding Elias sounds like the best idea. I assume that platform in the bronze lake is the elevator?"

Grey crosses the stepping stones over to the platform. If he reaches the end, he also examines the frog through the eye of the needle.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
The frog shows up like white hot metal in the pool of cold liquid bronze, her body radiating massive amounts of magical force. It connects to the walls and floor and ceiling and all around in thin strands of light.  [4] You get the direct impression that she's not just this frog, she's the entire colossal toad.

"I can help with the stuff."
Go to the elevator and ride it where it goes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A hole opens near the apex of the ceiling, metal flowing away, and something like a giant bird cage made of woven metal vines lowers into the room on a thin chain. It jangles to a halt near the gazebo. Immediately small bronze toads begin crawling out of the water and onto the elevator, waddling heavily into its edges and hopping up between its woven bars.

I'll take you as high as I can, but my elevator only goes up to the cannon platform. From there you'll need to find your way up to the top tower. Be careful around the cannons and the rest, they're not bad but sometimes they don't think things through. 

As though to emphasize this, there's a rumble from above as the cannons begin firing again. The frog looks upstairs with a worried expression.

"Find out what's happening to Elias, ok?"

The team boards the elevator one by one, metal toads crawling between their feet and hopping onto their shoulders and heads. As soon as they're aboard the cage shivers and begins to rise, sliding soundlessly into the ceiling while the frog watches from below, waving one webbed hand.  For a long few seconds everything is dark, then the elevator emerges. Its not being pulled by a chain anymore, its being shoved up from the bottom by the metal that was enclosing it. It pushes up through a ring of metal and very odd wood. They've emerged in what looks like the belly of an ancient galleon, though made with bands of iron over impossibly large and long logs of Cactus "wood". The room is shaped like a barrel, with a single round door directly ahead. Candles, hovering in mid air, drift down to surround the party and provide them light in the otherwise gloomy room. They can hear voices from beyond the door, shouting commands and wailing, the thunder rumble of cannons drowning them out in intervals.

"Here somewhere!"

"Hunt them down!"

"Never falter! We will have what is owed us!"

"To arms! To arms!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Home sweet home
« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2021, 07:13:34 pm »

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip screams that he has this!

Order the BRONZE DRONE to open the doors and take any first hits.  Don't like go punching things but don't let us get shot either.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2021, 08:50:29 pm »

Wait for Drip's drone to do it's thing. Attempt to communicate with the little frogs. Are they extensions of Big Frog?

I have a feeling we're going to end up with a very sad frogtress before this is over.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2021, 10:56:56 pm »

((Hey, anybody remember this?:

<snip>

A Mage has died. Without its master, her home has grown violent.  In accordance with the Covenant of Balance discover the cause of death and pacify the structure. This is our will.

<snip>

I think think there’s a reason the frogge hasn’t heard anything from Elias… ))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2021, 11:10:13 pm »

[Ya. Finding the corpse should give us something to go on.]

Grey Maintains the Drone.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2021, 12:16:01 am »

Flameo, who was always with the team, definitely, will wait on the drone to do its thing. If the cannons prove hostile, try to assure them (from the relative safety of the elevator) that we are not hostile to them, and in fact, likely have the same goals as them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:01:40 pm by m1895 »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2021, 01:57:40 am »

I hope this Alice person is alright!  Hopefully the mundanes won’t give us to much problem.

The Speaker follows the others, needle at the ready, making sure to keep the drone between himself and any threats.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2021, 05:51:33 am »

"Do we have any idea as to how many things are in the next room?"
Stay behind the rest of the group.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2021, 06:08:31 am »

"One gunner for every cannon, possibly?"

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2021, 06:45:59 am »

"One gunner for every cannon, possibly?"

(( A historical gunnery crew would have had at least 5 people for each weapon depending on the period. ))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2021, 06:52:54 am »

((Hey, anybody remember this?:
Quote from: piecewise
<snip>
A Mage has died. Without its master, her home has grown violent.  In accordance with the Covenant of Balance discover the cause of death and pacify the structure. This is our will.
<snip>
I think think there’s a reason the frogge hasn’t heard anything from Elias… ))
((We're being diplomatic. Or did you want to announce to the spirit of the giant living monster fortress, and all it's many, many inhabitants that their beloved master is dead and we're here to shut them up about it?

side note: I feel sad for the silly frog. She seems to genuinely care for her master.))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116