Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131902 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Not a Great Start.
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2021, 09:08:06 pm »

"They are conjured from my vitality, something I would rather conserve for the moment considering the giant over there." Bob responds to the Speaker before turning to Youare. "All of them, I think. Any type of belt."

“What about him?” The Speaker asks gesturing towards Creation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:10:05 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2021, 12:14:05 am »

"That sounds like it might work. Firstly though, I think we're going to need to stop the Mundanes firing at it for a minute, unless we want to get blown to smithereens."
”I don't think the humans are going to keep up their rocket barrage when that beast hits the town, it'll be too close. If you hold that thing in place then I will be right behind you.”

If Youare manages to apply HOLD to the dogzilla creature, then Grey will Maintain the magic's effect on the monster, and then charge forward and start stabbing the beast in the foot/paw with the needle.

If Youare fails to apply HOLD, or does something else entirely, then grey will Maintain his own body, and attempt to lodge his needle into the beast's foot. After which he will abandon the needle inside the creature and take cover behind the nearest building.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2021, 12:28:37 am »

”Sounds like as good a plan as any.  I’m going to try asking the snow falling around it to turn to ice and encase it.  I hope that won’t be a problem for you?”

The speaker follows Youare and Grey to the creature.  Once there he asks the snow falling around the creature to turn to ice and encase the creature and then stabs his needle into the back of one of the creature’s ankles aiming for the Achilles’ tendon.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2021, 12:58:23 am »

"So long as we don't start slipping on the ground instead, it should be fine."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2021, 02:03:02 am »

"I'm gonna go into the town and see if I can't get a hold of some kind of weapon."
Run into the town and try to steer clear of where the shooting is happening.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:14:41 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2021, 03:44:59 am »

The forest isn't near you. As it says in the end of the last turn, the town is directly ahead, the Wolf to the right, and the forest it came out of beyond that. So you can probably find a singular tree around here, but getting to the forest would require running all the way past the titan, back to where it came,
Are you saying the three miles or so from where we dropped have had little to no vegetation besides grass, and there have been no trees except beyond the Wolf Titan? I assume the Blizzard isn't obscuring them since we have had sight on the town and Titan, and now the forest. We've been walking for over half an hour to get to this point. Can I get a list of items I may have picked up along the way? pebbles, gravel, rocks, dirt, snow, grass, ice chunks? I can't exactly guess which items are available from the descriptions so far given of our surroundings (blizzard, teleport beacon, distant town wolf and forest). Or are my current options really that sparse?

Well, whatever. try to make a train again, using the same method as before. make gas also. Maybe a train car full.

Spoiler: Character: Creation (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:57:31 am by Ozarck »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2021, 04:12:05 am »

IGNORE.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:14:21 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2021, 05:15:44 am »

"They are conjured from my vitality, something I would rather conserve for the moment considering the giant over there." Bob responds to the Speaker before turning to Youare. "All of them, I think. Any type of belt."

"Alright then. I'd suggest you head for town, get hold of any kind of belt they'll give you, and get ready to reinforce us."

"Anyone else, we're going to try to stop the creature before it reaches town. If magic fails, try to slash its tendons."

Youare breaks into a run, and heads for the giant. He waits for a break in the rocket fire, then runs up to the thing's foot and forces "Hold" into the sole. Time allowing, he attempts to pull "Support" from the leg, but just runs away if the giant notices him or more rockets fire.

Spoiler: Youare (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:11:45 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2021, 10:35:42 am »

((Throw me in chief))
You escape the cauldron. All new characters start exactly here, so you best hope the team out there is smart about moving and positioning the teleport conduit.

We'll assume you read the plaque, get your gear, and notice the giant teleport gate directly across the hall.

Since I didn’t get to last time, try again to make SABERS from a GRASSBLADE and since there’s enough left over, try to make a LAD as well
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

[5]
Luta bends down and tears out a handful of grass. The grass glows golden as she manipulates its essence. She tosses the shimmering mass away from her and it breaks in two. One of the pieces congeals into three sabers that seem to be made of a greenish metal. Its blades look like blades of grass and their grips and guards resemble roots and a curving leaves.  The other piece forms what looks like a humanoid grass doll; A wickerman of sorts made of woven grass. It moves in an odd, boneless way and has no real features: no face, no hands, not even a real front or back.

Get my items from the box and then head towards the town, gazing at it with all the curiosity and wonder I can muster while trying to see what my cognizance can learn from it.

Spoiler: Amyclas (click to show/hide)
We'll assume you already have your stuff and are with the team at the town already.
[?]
Small town, about 45 years old. Population of about 1000. Bordertown, here for multiple reasons but one of which is to kill things trying to get further into the territory to the south. They've not dealt with something like this before, its always been smaller monsters their weapons can handle. Half the town is hiding out underground right now. They're considering abandoning the place but the storm and remote nature of the town means they'd probably die in the wilderness.

Disappointed in his continued lack of at least one belt, Bob looked around. "I need belts to do things." If he couldn't make a belt, maybe he could find one. He looked towards the Wolf Giant for a moment. "No belts." He grumbled before looking towards the town. "Maybe belts?" An idea started to form. A poor and possibly unrealistic one, sure, but it was one of the few Bob had since emerging from the cauldron.

After moving a few dozens of meters away from the group, Bob attempts to summon/control the belts in the town to move to the space 5 yards in front of him. Preferably loosened or untied and by moving around the buildings instead of through them.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

[1][+1 fate point]
Screams ring out from the villiage as every belt within about a half mile suddenly awakens and begins acting like a big leathery snake. Some squirm off into the darkness while others constrict limbs and bite with buckle jaws.What they don't do is follow orders.

I hope it's not too late to jump in.  Assuming it's not...

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip runs to the box, grabs and puts on one of each item, then jumps through the portal to try and catch up with the crowd.
(Toaster has returned! Been a while, buddy!)
You figure out whats going on quite quickly. You don your gear and run straight to the portal, which gladly sucks you in. You end up on the barren snowy plain, but thanks to the flares can see your identically dressed compatriots down near the town. [1] [+1 fate point] You attempt to run down and meet them but get all of 3 feet before slipping on the snow and flopping face first into slush.

"I'm gonna go into the town and see if I can't get a hold of some kind of weapon."
Run into the town and try to steer clear of where the shooting is happening.
Debby runs into the town. The shooting, and basically all of the activity going on in the town is concentrated in one place further in. She attempts to  avoid that area and instead looks for a weapon in the darkened and seemingly abandoned buildings on the outskirts. [2] She can't find anything to work as a weapon. Not so much as a goddamn rake around here!

The forest isn't near you. As it says in the end of the last turn, the town is directly ahead, the Wolf to the right, and the forest it came out of beyond that. So you can probably find a singular tree around here, but getting to the forest would require running all the way past the titan, back to where it came,
Are you saying the three miles or so from where we dropped have had little to no vegetation besides grass, and there have been no trees except beyond the Wolf Titan? I assume the Blizzard isn't obscuring them since we have had sight on the town and Titan, and now the forest. We've been walking for over half an hour to get to this point. Can I get a list of items I may have picked up along the way? pebbles, gravel, rocks, dirt, snow, grass, ice chunks? I can't exactly guess which items are available from the descriptions so far given of our surroundings (blizzard, teleport beacon, distant town wolf and forest). Or are my current options really that sparse?

Well, whatever. try to make a train again, using the same method as before. make gas also. Maybe a train car full.

There are other trees, tall grass, bushes, stones, dirt, etc. I'm just saying you said "Go to the forest" and the only forest around here is over past that titan. So I just wanted to make sure you understood the layout of the area before you go running somewhere you don't wanna be.
[1] [+1 fate point]
You try the same thing again and again something goes wrong. But this time, instead of  GRASS STAINS becoming STINGS, they become ASSASSIN. Much like Luta's LAD, the thing which forms is a boneless, humanoid grass doll. But instead of having stumpy handless limbs, its arms end in thick, cleaving grass blades.
[3,5] -5 hp.
The Grassassin lunges in an odd, puppet like way, flopping and dancing forwards before twisting into a full body spin, blades whirling like a blender. Creation dodges backwards, arms coming up to protect himself. His movement takes his neck out of the way, but not his arm. His right arm is cleaved off right above the elbow. It spins away, leaving a vivid red trail in the pure white snow.

"Alright then. I'd suggest you head for town, get hold of any kind of belt they'll give you, and get ready to reinforce us."

"Anyone else, we're going to try to stop the creature before it reaches town. If magic fails, try to slash its tendons."

Youare breaks into a run, and heads for the giant. He waits for a break in the rocket fire, then runs up to the thing's foot and forces "Hold" into the sole. Time allowing, he attempts to pull "Support" from the leg, but just runs away if the giant notices him or more rockets fire.

Spoiler: Youare (click to show/hide)

”Sounds like as good a plan as any.  I’m going to try asking the snow falling around it to turn to ice and encase it.  I hope that won’t be a problem for you?”

The speaker follows Youare and Grey to the creature.  Once there he asks the snow falling around the creature to turn to ice and encase the creature and then stabs his needle into the back of one of the creature’s ankles aiming for the Achilles’ tendon.

"That sounds like it might work. Firstly though, I think we're going to need to stop the Mundanes firing at it for a minute, unless we want to get blown to smithereens."
”I don't think the humans are going to keep up their rocket barrage when that beast hits the town, it'll be too close. If you hold that thing in place then I will be right behind you.”

If Youare manages to apply HOLD to the dogzilla creature, then Grey will Maintain the magic's effect on the monster, and then charge forward and start stabbing the beast in the foot/paw with the needle.

If Youare fails to apply HOLD, or does something else entirely, then grey will Maintain his own body, and attempt to lodge his needle into the beast's foot. After which he will abandon the needle inside the creature and take cover behind the nearest building.

Youare, Gray, and Speaker make a run straight towards the advancing titan, moving as low and fast as they can, ducking everytime a new barage of rockets strikes home or a stream of machinegun fire lances past overhead. If the titan notices them, it shows no indication of it and simply continues forward. The group times its advance: they have to anticipate the footfall of the titan, to be near enough to reach it mid step while not being crushed in the process. They're maybe 50 feet away when its left foot comes down. The ground under their feet jumps and then falls away, taking them with it. They hit the ground and immediately scramble back to their feet and close the remaining distance as another barrage of rockets strikes home high above them.

[6][4][3][1][6][1] (+1 fate point and -1 HP to Speaker)

Youare runs straight to the front of the creature's foot  and  jams "HOLD" into its big toe. A shimmering shockwave spreads from the point of contact and halfway down the creature's foot before it fades. Gray raises one hand and shouts "MAINTAIN!". The shimmering light from the shockwave appears again, this time in a faint glowing aura around the foot. That done, Gray attempts to stab the titan in the side of the foot with his needle, but the blow glances off the thick callous and hair. 

Speaker runs around to the back of the creature's foot, asking the snow for aid as he does. The blowing winds and cruching of his feet through the snow seem to come together into a dry and raspy voice. "WARMTH!" It cries and with sudden agony all he heat from his face and mouth is ripped away. His saliva freezes and his lips turn blue, crusted with bloody red frost.  He ignores the pain as best he and and positions himself to attack. He grabs the handle of the needle with both hands and hurls himself forward, driving the point into the creature's ankle with all the might and weight he can muster.  The needle sinks in deeply, nearly up to the grip. Blood flows onto his hands and for a long moment nothing happens. Then the flesh around the needle begins to glow. That glow spreads rapidly outward until it has encompassed a sphere over a meter in diameter. With a flash and a concussive bang the light vanishes, taking all that flesh with it. A four foot spherical crater has been torn into the flesh, with the now free needle at its center. Gallons of blood oozes from shredded flesh and with a disgusting ripping noise a tendon tears free and bunches up into the beast's calf.   

Speaker looks at the needle and is surprised to see that it is glowing with a grayish aura, faint whisps and loops like a solar corona rising and vanishing.

The Wolf Titan falters,  leaning to the left. It attempts to step forward, dragging the damaged leg, but its foot remains firmly planted to the ground. It stumbles and trips, its left foot finally tearing free and taking a massive chunk of dirt and stone with it.  The Titan is falling now, falling in slow motion like a great tree, arms outstreched.to catch itself. It is clear to everyone watching that- if its fall continues unchanged- it will land on at least part of the villiage. 

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Timberwolf
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2021, 10:58:00 am »

Grey quickly Maintains the tallest building that is located within where the beast will land, preferably a church, hopefully taking away the brunt of its impact, supporting its mass, and leaving the rest of the buildings, if not intact, at least still upright.

After it hits the ground, he starts stabbing it in the ribs, or whatever body part is in reach that is closest to its center of mass.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:14:09 am by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2021, 11:00:43 am »

Run away, grab my arm, and run away, toward the other homunculi. preferably faster than the misguided (but cleverly named) grassassin.

"Hey! HEY! Can one of you put my arm back on? maybe one of you functionaries can take the [separated] out of it or something. Kinda hurry, I'm losing real people blood here. Oh, also, there's a doll trying to kill me. Oh, nice work knocking the thing down. Also, this place really hates fun."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2021, 12:53:48 pm »

Oh my!  I wasn’t expecting that.  Or that.  I thought the snow would speak to me and ask me for something that I’d have to provide.  I didn’t expect it to just take what it wanted!  I’ll have to be more careful in the future.  On the other hand, it appears our needles are more powerful than we thought.

The Speaker retrieves his needle before jumping out of the way of the falling beast.  If possible, he tries to stab the beast in the back of the neck just below the skull aiming for the brain stem.  Otherwise, he just stabs whatever part of it looks important.

Edit:  didn’t know I got a Fate Point…
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:49:06 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2021, 01:05:46 pm »

"Hark, could thou teleport this one into the ears of the giant?"

Ask it nicely to do just that

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 02:24:21 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2021, 01:48:15 pm »

first of all, see if an All-tongue wants to try and reason with the grassassin. Meanwhile, I’ll leap into action.

Toss a saber to Lad and take one up myself. Ask Lad to help me defend Creation. Then jump into action, needle in one hand saber in the other. Fend off its attack for nows, if it doesn’t relent, or nobody tries to talk with it, try to jab it with the needle.

Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2021, 01:49:42 pm »

"Hark, could thou teleport this one into the ears of thee giant?"

While the gate is large an thus could be called “giant”, I doubt it has ears.  Besides, what are you trying to do?  Sabotage the gate?

“the” and “thee” are not the same word.  “the” is a demonstrative prounoun and “thee” is the objective case of “thou”.  “thou”, by the way, is used to address social inferiors (and, yes, if English speakers of the 12th century ever read the King James Bible, they’d probably consider the way it uses words like “thee”, “thy”, and “thou” -which hadn’t been in use for at least 200 years when the KJV was translated- to be outright blasphemy). In any case, you sound like you’re speaking to the gate rudely and asking it to teleport your needle into it’s own ear.  I have a bad feeling about this…

Heil Webster!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 116