Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131788 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Magnum Opus: Blinded by the Light.
« Reply #885 on: September 03, 2021, 09:32:23 am »

Assume I got on the balloon with Genesis. Also, would it be s stretch to assume that Genesis and I immediately relinked?
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I'd say its fine to assume both.

look below through my needle's eye, then pull the Luta thread. If said thread isn't available, pull the grey thread. If I haven't the piece of mind to remember which is which, pull a random thread.
Do try to pull a thread before I hit the ground, water, or miscellaneous hard, pointy, and/or hungry surface.

p.s. relink after pulling to the other homunculus, if circumstances allow.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
[3]
You don't exactly have a ton of time to carefully examine things: not to mention the increasingly powerful stream of air blowing directly into your eyes. But you do get a momentary glance of something in the water. A sort of luminous haze hanging near the shore.

You yank luta's thread and return to the balloon in a flash. You immediately relink once you're there.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

((Awaiting GM approval.))
Looks good to me.  We can assume you tumbled out of the cauldron and shook the entire cave on impact.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Greed commands the sword to cut the creature in half and then shoots at it.
[5]
Greed points at the shadowy shape of the beast and the blade above his head vanishes in a flicker and the sea in front of him is rended open in a spray of boiling foam. The creature stops its wriggling instantly and, moments later, begins to drift apart. It has been cleanly cut in half, length wise.

I wait and see what happens while maintaining my aerial position.

Getting harder to maintain position. The storm is really rolling in now. What was once a distant wall of gray is now visibly rushing foward towards the ship. Its still a few miles out but it will be here soon.

"Thank fuck I didn't break the damned rifle, not that it's helping very much."
Shoot the monster in any place that looks especially vulnerable, and make sure Elizabeth is all right.
You decide to hold your fire for the time being. Liz is covering her ears from all the noise but seems ok.

Team Boat

Youare enlists the help of nearby homunculi or sailors, or struggles to get into the water alone if necessary.

"Again? Somebody help me overboard! I need to be in the water!"

Youare, once overboard, expends one fate point swimming towards the creature at an oblique angle, and shouts down his needle to the other homunculi if he makes it to the creature's side, allowing them to come in through their links. He then goes ahead with plunging his needle into a water-filled cavity like the throat or stomach and firing the "fresh" spell, hopefully turning the water fresh enough to result in tissue damage. Or hey, just turning some organs into baby organs. Magic is innate and unpredictable.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
Team Boat

Youare enlists the help of nearby homunculi or sailors, or struggles to get into the water alone if necessary.

Youare, once overboard, expends one fate point swimming towards the creature at an oblique angle, plunging his needle into a water-filled cavity like the throat or stomach and firing the "fresh" spell, hopefully turning the water fresh enough to result in tissue damage. Or hey, just turning some organs into baby organs. Magic is innate and unpredictable.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
”Be careful”
Help Youare overboard”what are you going to do?”
"Are you sure that's a good idea?!"

Grey helps Youare overboard if he is certain that is what he wants.

Grey keeps a look out and drops the Maintaining of the ship's hull. The next time the great serpent surfaces, Grey Maintains how much the creature is sticking out of the water. All goes well, this should force the leviathan to remain exposed and also hinder its movements some.

He shoots it with the rifle too, may as well if his hands are idle.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

These actions have all esentially been rendered non-meaningful by Mr. Lightsaber over there so I'm just going to assume you guys don't want to jump overboard into giant flesh eating fish infested waters or waste time reinforcing the boat or whatever.

The storm is roaring in now, the wind battering the ship and rocking it with great salty gusts. The sound of the approaching downpour slamming into the rough ocean surface is like being charged by a rogue waterfall. Everything smells overwhelmingly of brine and blood. In the distance, at the very edge of the approaching storm, a fin breaks the surface of the water. Its cutting fowards, towards the ship and the town beyond, slicing through the water like a knife. Whatever it belongs to is hidden beneath the foam and within the rain, but judging by the size of the fin it is truely massive.

The crew only has a few moments to marvel at this approaching leviathan before the ship lurches upwards and to the side, being shoved out of the way as something rises up from below. A great pink-purple gelatonous mass breaches the surface, followed moments later by thousands of thin tendrils. Each tendril is no thicker than a man's thumb but is at least several dozen feet long and wriggling about at surprising speed.  The Tendrils lash the chum filled water and electrical discharge plays across the flesh of the giant fish that are touched.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Legally distinct laser sword.
« Reply #886 on: September 03, 2021, 04:34:31 pm »

greed has his sword stab into the water at the center of the tentacles.
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 03, 2021, 05:35:30 pm »

Fresh out of the cauldron, Hugh sees the plaque on the wall and runs over to it.

Ho! Ho! Ho!  A humonculus!  Is that what I am?!

He then go’s over to the box, retrieves his robe and gloves and puts them on, and then retrieves his needle.

After this, he notices the glowing coming from the portal room and goes to investigate.

Ho!  The mundanes need our help!  I’d better get going then!

And with that, he goes through the portal.

((Btw, which group has the conduit?))

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 05:37:15 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:37 pm »

(PW said that the conduit is on the shore inside the town, so you might need to catch a boat.)

If the giant fish (the hammer?) in the storm broke the surface of the water with its fin, that means it's moving upwards, so Grey spends 1 fate and Maintains the upward velocity of the giant fish that's in the storm.

In the meantime he also shoots the tentacle monster harassing the ship and fends off any tendrils coming towards him with his magic sword-bayonet.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:35:16 pm by Fire and Glory »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 04, 2021, 03:30:23 am »

"Did we really need to get this many creatures attention to attract that hammer thing?"
Keep Elizabeth close to my while I shoot the shit out of that tentacle thing, also if the tentacles get close to me use my rifleaxe to chop the damn things off.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #890 on: September 06, 2021, 02:50:13 am »

Make my hands like binoculars and look through them, just in general to see if I can get vision that way. If not, place my hands over my eyes such that the eye symbols face outward, and try to see that way. Look around and down, but being careful not to fall out again. Are we still being pushed hard by the wind? If so, continue on to the city. We'll come back here later.

"What do you think, Luta? Should we leave one of our needles here, so we can jump back quickly? I saw something down there. Could be normal stuff though.  don't know anything about the ocean. But it seemed strange. It glowed."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 06, 2021, 03:12:35 am »

I get a bit more altitude to get to clearer airspace and avoid the ground-level turbulance (and also get more altitude that I can afford to lose if I mess up). But otherwise remain in the air and continue to observe and watch for the Hammer itself, as well as see how the other sea monsters are faring and what they're doing. maybe I'll see some behavior patterns or interactions that I could use later? I need to keep gathering information so that when I do make my move (and I think I'm only going to be able to make one move so I want it to be a good one) it'll count.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #892 on: September 07, 2021, 11:12:22 am »

greed has his sword stab into the water at the center of the tentacles.
[3]
For an instant the sword reappears above Greed's head and then slices down towards the jellyfish leviathan. However, whatever magical power is maintaining it seems to falter and the light blade bursts with a flash as it hits the creature instead of cutting through.

(PW said that the conduit is on the shore inside the town, so you might need to catch a boat.)

If the giant fish (the hammer?) in the storm broke the surface of the water with its fin, that means it's moving upwards, so Grey spends 1 fate and Maintains the upward velocity of the giant fish that's in the storm.

In the meantime he also shoots the tentacle monster harassing the ship and fends off any tendrils coming towards him with his magic sword-bayonet.

[1,5][3]
[3]
You point at the distant fin and shout "MAINTAIN!"

The upwards movement of the Hammer was quite small when you caught it, but it was still there. Slowly, the beast begins to rise out of the water. So far only its back is visible. That back is a mass of fins; rows of them beside and in line with each other; like dozens of sharks of different sizes were sewn together into a field of dorsal fins.

You swing the bayonet at the tendrils but whatever damage you manage to do seems minor. They're quite hard to actually hit, rapidly wriggling like they are. But those few you manage to catch seem to transform. The flesh near the cut becomes purplish stained glass and shatters apart.

"Did we really need to get this many creatures attention to attract that hammer thing?"
Keep Elizabeth close to my while I shoot the shit out of that tentacle thing, also if the tentacles get close to me use my rifleaxe to chop the damn things off.

[3,3]
You fire and cut as best you can as the tendrils squirm up the side of the ship but it seems to have precious little effect. The beast continues pulling itself up from the bloody foam and towards the ship unabated. All you can do is fall back from the railing and retreat back on the deck. You hold Liz on your shoulder with one hand as you do.

I get a bit more altitude to get to clearer airspace and avoid the ground-level turbulance (and also get more altitude that I can afford to lose if I mess up). But otherwise remain in the air and continue to observe and watch for the Hammer itself, as well as see how the other sea monsters are faring and what they're doing. maybe I'll see some behavior patterns or interactions that I could use later? I need to keep gathering information so that when I do make my move (and I think I'm only going to be able to make one move so I want it to be a good one) it'll count.

[4]
You get up to about 150 feet off the deck. The winds here are still powerful and only getting worse. Its almost impossible to really observe anything other than your own balance. You do think the...giant shark thing riding the approaching storm is probably the hammer though. It would be hard to think it was anything else.

The ship rocks and lists hard to one side as the Jellyfish Leviathan starts dragging itself up and onto the deck. As soon as its bulbous body  rises above the railing though, the captain shouts "FIRE!" and all the cannons with a line to the critter unleash hell. Shells rip through its flesh, tearing it apart like bullets through a rubber ball. Its body jiggles and thick ooze pours out of it.   The injuries don't kill the creature outright- its anatomy is too bizarre to fall from something as simple as being perforated- but the beast does half tumble back away from the railing and its tendrils lose a great deal of their hold on the ship.

"ALL HANDS!" The captain bellows, pointing his cane out at the storm, "Our prey is coming! Shake off these interlopers and lets give it a fisher's welcome! Dump a depth charge or two into that jelly beast's ruptured head. 20 second timers!  Lets be off with this!"

Make my hands like binoculars and look through them, just in general to see if I can get vision that way. If not, place my hands over my eyes such that the eye symbols face outward, and try to see that way. Look around and down, but being careful not to fall out again. Are we still being pushed hard by the wind? If so, continue on to the city. We'll come back here later.

"What do you think, Luta? Should we leave one of our needles here, so we can jump back quickly? I saw something down there. Could be normal stuff though.  don't know anything about the ocean. But it seemed strange. It glowed."

The first thing...no. The second thing though...that actually does something. Specifically, when you attempt to "See" out through the eyes on your gloves, you actually can. It doesn't show you anything special, its not like the vision through the eye of the needle, but it DOES let you see through those eyes with your normal eyes closed. In fact you can't actually see through those glove eyes when your normal eyes are open. It seems the gloves also correspond to one eye each: Left glove for left eye, right for right. Interesting.

The balloon is still moving in the wind, though it could be steered to go back using its rudder. If you want to head to the city, we can do that but it will take a few turns at least.

Fresh out of the cauldron, Hugh sees the plaque on the wall and runs over to it.

Ho! Ho! Ho!  A humonculus!  Is that what I am?!

He then go’s over to the box, retrieves his robe and gloves and puts them on, and then retrieves his needle.

After this, he notices the glowing coming from the portal room and goes to investigate.

Ho!  The mundanes need our help!  I’d better get going then!

And with that, he goes through the portal.

((Btw, which group has the conduit?))

You find yourself in an empty office. Confused, you walk to the nearest door and step out. You're on the roughly middle section of a town built vertically up a cliff face. Its somewhat hard to tell this, its getting pretty dark, but the lights of the homes running vertically up the dimly lit white cliffs are enough. Down below there's a harbor with lots of ships. The entire town appears to be in a panic, with people running about all over. Most seem to be heading up, to the unseen top of the cliffs, while others are moving down towards the sea below. You can see, lit by the pulsing light of an ancient lighthouse, the glittering spiderweb of a huge metal net stretched out across the opening of this bay. Down below the lights of the ships show black dots of crewmen rapidly skittering across decks as the ships form a sort of overlapping wall, their guns all pointed out towards the sea.

You're not certain what is going on, but it seems pretty clear that something not too nice is coming from the ocean and the town is making ready to fight back.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 07, 2021, 12:05:35 pm »

Greed reinforces the magic on his sword and has it stab down again.
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 07, 2021, 02:18:03 pm »

Go back to the office and see if my immense strength is enough to allow me to pick up and carry the conduit.  If it is, do so and take it with me.  Try to find someone and ask them if they’ve seen any other humonculi and where they can be found.

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 07, 2021, 04:02:17 pm »

Pull grey’s thread, then immediately relink. If I have time to realize what going on and act, my first action is to turn the TENDRILS into LINT
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 07, 2021, 04:13:17 pm »

A few turns? Instead, if the ballooneer thinks it's safe to do so, and that there is shelter to be had, have him descend here and anchor so I can get a closer view of the ruined town. Hopefully there is a reasonably safe way to get close enough to the sea to see what is up with that. Use the ballooneer's judgement on whether to land, how long to stay, and whether we should leave again or weather the storm here instead.

Also, try really hard not to fall out or off of things.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 07, 2021, 05:46:07 pm »

try turning two nearby FLESHY TENDRILS into an ESTER
((Thanks, action edited))
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:17:09 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 07, 2021, 09:28:05 pm »

(It's clinging to the side of the ship, I don't know if its main body can be touched but there should be some tendrils within reach around the railing.)

Grey throws a quick glance to the gargantuan beast slowly rising out of the waters inside the storm.

"It doesn't look like a hammer. Hopefully that part is in its head or tail otherwise we're going to have to throw it back."

Above all else, Grey keeps Maintaining the hammer's upward velocity, spending 1 fate point if another roll is required. If we can pull it out of the water it'll be a sitting duck!

After ensuring that the Maintaining of the hammer is secure, Grey charges in with his saber-bayonet, either slashing the blob-beast's center body if he can reach it without leaning over the railing, or just cutting through any tendril holding onto the ship's railing.

At some point a Luta will appear, and Grey relinks needles with her if there is time.

Now that there's water being splashed around I thought I'd ask, do the water droplets that land on Grey's saber turn to ice?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2021, 12:21:24 am »

try turning two nearby FLESHY TENDRILS into an ESTER
((Thanks, action edited))
((is this valid or should I only do this with one? Or are bonds not valid targets? They are physical so I think they’d count. Of course a failed roll on something like this could release lots of energy since many many molecules making up the tendrils would be gone…does the law of conservation of mass apply? If so, assuming this even happens, where would all of the extra mass go? Would it be converted into energy? What form? Photons? Heat? Would many esters be made with the remaining atoms making new bonds sinking into or binding with ocean water or wood? I am aware I am greatly overthinking literal magic…))
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 116