Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is wrong with my world?  (Read 1297 times)

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is wrong with my world?
« on: May 09, 2021, 11:54:36 am »

All that yellow-brown-red on the edges is supposed to be water. I don't have any tilesets installed. During world generation, the oceans start out blue but transform into these ugly colours when caves are being placed. It doesn't affect gameplay and after embark, water shows blue - except on the Civilizations/News/World screen where they are the same ugly colour. Fresh install of 44.05.

Urist mcbayblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with my world?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 02:45:09 pm »

The water is an evil biome.
I'm assuming your using advanced world parameters, if your not this is probably a glitch.
You can fix it by setting the desired amount of evil squares in large regions low in advanced would gen.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 03:21:27 pm »

Oh
My
Gawd

Well, that's it yeah, my oceans are haunted. And I did use Advanced Parameters. So the only way to fix it is to re-create the world? Dammit.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:45:18 pm »

In the recent update, I've had about one in three of my worlds generate an evil ocean. Some have both evil and normal water. It's been interesting, but I don't remember it ever happening to me before. Has something changed?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 03:49:18 am »

It's possible to write a DFHack script to change the evilness value of all the ocean tiles, run the script and then embark (as you can't save DF in pre embark after hacking). However, it's probably not worth the effort. Another question is: does it matters that the oceans are evil? It only affects fortress mode if you embark next to the ocean, and otherwise is just an eyesore during the comparatively brief pre embark phase. It may affect an adventurer more if you plan to adventure along the ocean shore.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:15:28 pm »

It's mostly an eyesore but I am planning to use this world for a bunch of different forts and two ideas I have require the ocean.

Actually, I'll recreate this world. I used Perfect World so I have the map template. I'll dial down the number of evil tiles and hopefully avoid the ocean from becoming evil. I assume because I'm making an island/Pangaea world that if even one evil tile is in the ocean, then the entire ocean goes evil?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 01:29:23 am »

I assume because I'm making an island/Pangaea world that if even one evil tile is in the ocean, then the entire ocean goes evil?

To test this hypothesis, I generated a (1) new "Medium Island" world with no good/evil biomes besides 1 "large" square each. The evil biome is some coastal desert, but the good biome is the entire ocean.

It seems the safe approach is to set "large" biomes to None and instead increase the amount of "medium" biome by a significant amount (I set 8 times as many to get roughly the same total area of good/evil). The medium biomes may be adjacent, resulting in pseudo-large biomes.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 04:48:41 am »

It seems the safe approach is to set "large" biomes to None and instead increase the amount of "medium" biome by a significant amount (I set 8 times as many to get roughly the same total area of good/evil). The medium biomes may be adjacent, resulting in pseudo-large biomes.

Yeah, the large square counts in the presets are also set to none (probably for that reason, I guess).

Personally I tend to have small good & evil biomes increased a ton and keep medium ones lower (somewhere around 512:64:0 in a 129x129 world). This way I get loads of small evil/good pockets all around the world (often next to each other), which I like.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 05:57:20 am »

I used Perfect World to tinker with it and dropping the number of evil tiles worked. I still have evil tiles but none are in the Ocean. Just like you Mobbstar, there's a good tile in the Ocean so the entire ocean is good. But that works for me!