Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grates in arena deconstructs  (Read 1151 times)

papperwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grates in arena deconstructs
« on: May 04, 2021, 04:25:45 pm »

Hi guys,

I created an arena for my loved ones to purge undead and other scum. The arena contains four water intake to flood the whole arena to clean it and four drains covered with golden grates. But those grates deconstruct all the time.

Is it normal behaviour?

At first, it happened when I flushed an arena full of dead bodies. I thought maybe in the fight some undead toppled it because it was building destroyer, but then it even happened in the part of the arena, where no undead managed to go.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Grates in arena deconstructs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:04:14 am »

In the four tiles orthogonal to the grates that deconstructed, what constructions or buildings are in those tiles? Can you post an image of the room?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

papperwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 04:55:08 am »

Here is the image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because my dwarfs live in dead roamed land, I have to kill them every time miasma disappear, so sorry for the mess.

Basically all around the grates is only either a smooth diorite floor or some grass from mud (I did not found out how to clean mud effectively, so I let it grow there for now).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:59:35 pm »

Trolls are building destroyers, undead or not.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

papperwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:28 am »

Yeah, then the main question is, why the grates deconstruct. Is it a bug? If so I will move this discussion into the bug section. But if it is normal behaviour, I did not want to spam it there.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 04:04:41 pm »

Four grates surrounded by nothing but natural floor and mud; I would guess that it is not a bug unless there is reason to believe the grates deconstructed at the same time.

Your gamelog.txt will contain most or all mentions of grates being toppled. You could search it for the word "toppled" and the word "grate", just in case there is something notable near the end of the gamelog.txt that explains what happened.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

papperwing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 03:35:19 am »

Four grates surrounded by nothing but natural floor and mud; I would guess that it is not a bug unless there is reason to believe the grates deconstructed at the same time.

Your gamelog.txt will contain most or all mentions of grates being toppled. You could search it for the word "toppled" and the word "grate", just in case there is something notable near the end of the gamelog.txt that explains what happened.

There were no mentions at all in the log. Can a force of a goblin/human body cause a deconstruction? Something like when the drawbridge is dropped on a dragon?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 04:13:47 am »

According to the wiki, all undead gain [BUILDING_DESTROYER:1], though the same page does not specify whether grates are vulnerable to level 1 or level 2 of that trait, and I'm not sure of that one myself.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.