Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paradox set a world record on Steam!  (Read 2864 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paradox set a world record on Steam!
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:04:29 pm »

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-europa-universalis-4-dlc-has-the-lowest-user-rating-of-anything-on-steam/

Worst reviewed (DLC/Game) on steam! 8% negative as of this post! WOOOOO! NEW STEAM WORLD RECORD. Leviathan for EU4 is the best world record, now what next game will beat that record of greatest reviewed game of all time on steam?

Sorry for the half-troll half haha joke thread at the start of the opening. I never been so angry at a game, they wrecked my laptop ...sure it was old, but cost a little over 1k dollars about 7 years ago dont remember exactly when I got it but beside the point. And I'm about to be literally homeless, I could have gotten maybe 100 dollars for that laptop. So I'm freakin pissed. Eviction is imminent. So not only did I lose a 1k (but old) laptop, I lose 100 dollars too I could have probably gotten that would have been massive to find a new place to live or a future....anyway onto the more serious part of this thread relating to how broken this game is

Tried playing leviathan, suddenly my tracking software saw my CPU spike to 110% (wtf? How does it even go past 100? Granted might been a visual glitch in the software but never seen that before with it, either way even if not it still hit 100% at least), GPU spiked to 100%, my ram usage spiked to 100%) and my entire laptop suddenly made such a loud whining sound that it woke up my parents, and then it made a massive loud BEEEEEEEP and then...well...bye bye laptop. The game is so broken that I was going to quit anyway, but guess was too late.

I guess thats what you get for putting a person in charge who own(ed?) an online gambling business. Seen that before in another company actually but they seem to have gotten off better, daybreak games got bought by a russian investment company that had nothing to do with games at all and are well known to buy and sell at a quick of a dime, usually screwing the company from within. Kinda same thing, but not gambling in that case but same situation. Though at least they seem to treat daybreak better than their usual investments with planetside 2, dunno about the other MMOs they have though.

I'll give paradox the benefit that they lost their office due to covid, its also covid and they also had to relocate. However. I don't give them the benefit of releasing it in a state that breaks peoples pcs/laptops (I know my laptop was old, really old, but EU4 always worked on it), and even if not, one of the most broken patches I've personally ever seen in a game. And literally a lot are sure that this was not playtested what so ever, as things so obviously broken should have been clearly seen in even 1 hour of playtesting.

No matter the cause, one shouldn't release a patch/dlc that is literally unfinished. Unfinished assets, broken features, broken game, break people PC. Literal artwork that isnt finished and "PLACEHOLDER" text and what not.

This thread should show any devs that see this thread to not release a game/patch/dlc so broken....or...maybe you want to set a world record of worst release patch! I guess win either way?

Btw, if this is the state of the company, I hope they do NOT make victoria 3. Imagine how broken it will be...I'd rather just everyone keep playing victoria 2 and keep making better mods for it :P

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox set a world record on Steam!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 01:29:33 pm »

sad_trombone.wav
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 03:31:07 pm »

I thought the record would be the most DLC sold on Steam.

Paradox needs to put EU4 to rest.  They haven't made a decent DLC for it in years.

Also anyone find it lazy there's a DLC for EU4 called Leviathan and a DLC for Stellaris called Leviathans?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 03:42:58 pm »

I thought the record would be the most DLC sold on Steam.

Paradox needs to put EU4 to rest.  They haven't made a decent DLC for it in years.

Also anyone find it lazy there's a DLC for EU4 called Leviathan and a DLC for Stellaris called Leviathans?

actually, to be fair, the DLC sounds good on paper. It should be the most sold (recent) DLC for EU4. If it was finished and not broken, there is a lot of good ideas here. For one, paradox's favorite monument system is pretty cool. I do like that system and was what was what I looked forward to most. Having natives actually be a threat is nice (if it was balanced/not brokenly OP for natives) and the rest are actually rather nice stuff for EU4.

It should not been released the way it did. When so glaringly it has "PLACEHOLDER" text like I said...I mean come on...I have no idea how this was greenlit to be released.

Maybe they released the wrong version by accident...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 03:57:52 pm »

Wow, glad I haven't bothered to install EUIV.  I don't think my interest ever got past the install stage, something about it being the base game and it having DLCs out the ying yang had me figure that I'd have more fun with feature complete EUIII.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »

The game is so broken that I was going to quit anyway, but guess was too late.

"You can't quit, you're fired!" -EU4 (with a flamethrower)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 07:51:35 pm »

They also decided to trash Imperator: Rome just when it started getting good after the 2.0 update, really miffed that I actually spent money on some of the content packs for that game like a week ago lol rip.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 07:54:41 pm »

I already expected it to be something negative about Leviathan considering how awful that DLC turned out to be. It's disappointing but only Paradox game that still seems to produce DLC worth purchasing is Stellaris.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 11:18:46 pm »

They also decided to trash Imperator: Rome just when it started getting good after the 2.0 update, really miffed that I actually spent money on some of the content packs for that game like a week ago lol rip.
Whoa, I haven't seen you forever. Was the DLC so bad that it raised you from the dead?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 08:29:26 am »

Whoa, I haven't seen you forever. Was the DLC so bad that it raised you from the dead?

It was probably canning Imperator: Rome that led to the rise from the dead.  Tell us where the grave is, so we can dump Paradox studios in it.

I'm not too upset about it, only because I still remember Sengoku.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 09:19:24 am »

I came into this expecting "Sold the most incomplete game as a finished product and slowly trickled it out piecemeal to their suckers" but wasn't too far off.

I really don't understand how people can support a company who purposefully sells their games piecemeal, this isn't even at the level of first day DLC or similar practices, this company is literally trying to sell people on the idea that their complete games are worth hundreds of dollars, often times costing more than the computers their players play them on

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 09:40:42 am »

So now we've got the Anti-Paradoxer.  All we need now is the rabid fanboy and this is a right proper thread!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 10:10:26 am »

I came into this expecting "Sold the most incomplete game as a finished product and slowly trickled it out piecemeal to their suckers" but wasn't too far off.

I really don't understand how people can support a company who purposefully sells their games piecemeal, this isn't even at the level of first day DLC or similar practices, this company is literally trying to sell people on the idea that their complete games are worth hundreds of dollars, often times costing more than the computers their players play them on

To be fair many paradox games get huge content updates a long time after release. I´m not entirely happy with all their DLC policies, but they do have a point in broad strokes. Consider CK2.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 10:57:38 am »

The key with paradox is to wait a while after release and read reviews. They keep releasing too much bad stuff, but occasionally they release gold. Also ignore any marketing they do, it has very little to do with the actual games, but this is true for practically any corporation and I would say others do it even more (*cough* fallout 76 *cough*).

While having to buy a ton of dlcs is not perfect, but how else do you expect a game with 10 years of development to be marketed. Still way better then subscription or having to pay massive amounts for the base game. If you think about it I would argue dlc model is the best option. I think only donations model comes close, but that can realistically work only for small indie devs, not AAA games. Until they stop being the only company releasing decent grand-strategy games there is not much choice, they basically have a monopoly, and are abusing this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:02:15 am by Mkok »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 08:08:16 pm »

Further thoughts on this: I think its a matter of the devs of Imperator: Rome doing such a good job that their bosses decided it would be more profitable to put them on their cash cows.  There was some true magic in the last couple of years on that title, they certainly proved themselves capable of producing marketable DLCs for CK3, et al.

The silver lining, for the truly hopeful/desperate is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  But yeah, its probably dead.  Actually, it might be more merciful not to give this false hope.
Pages: [1] 2