Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Games that were only made once and never replicated  (Read 10671 times)

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games that were only made once and never replicated
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2021, 11:01:36 am »

Does anyone remember the 8 bit adventure game Eureka with the £25,000 prize money? 

I always thought that could do with a remake, but maybe that's just nostalgia talking.

Autoduel also needs a remake, as i am unaware of any mad-max rpgs since.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2021, 11:09:32 am »

I think Autoduel would benefit from an "Inspired by" rather than a "Remake".  I never could "get" into the action sequences. 
They were mostly BLAM BLAM DEAD or BLAM BLAM WIN.

Didn't someone already mention Roadwars?  I'm either mentioning it or promoting it further.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2021, 12:21:10 pm »

Hidden Agenda wasn’t mentioned in this thread, so I thought I mention it here. Ruling a society that is heavily divided between warring factions backed by callous superpowers, where your options are limited to what your advisors and influential folks tell you to do, where you’re forced to make moral compromises to acheive the “least-bad outcome”, torn between ensuring your survival and actually making your country a better place...

All of this can be very entertaining, although I did get tired after playing it for a long time and exhausting almost all possible options, in the hopes of finding a least-bleak ending (which is arguably possible, though it generally require suspending elections outright, which isn’t ideal as well).

There hasn’t been any other nation-sim like Hidden Agenda, to my knowledge. Tropico and Dictator are probably close, though both games leans more towards dark humor. I did try to make a HA-like game in the past, set in a Middle Eastern country that was mentioned in Hidden Agenda, but I didn’t get far, and now I moved onto other interests and concerns.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:44:27 pm by Skynet »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2021, 01:56:48 pm »

Funny, I was just thinking about Hidden Agenda yesterday.  Might be a bit of a pollyanna, but I'd like a version with something less awful as an outcome.

You might like Alliance of the Sacred Suns when it becomes available to purchase (again).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2021, 02:04:35 pm »

Oh yes, this Hidden Agenda was really brillant with some events and character acting differently depending on your decisions.
Managed to make me dislike some of the characters there, some of them having been close allies in some playthrough and then directly murdered me in other, those ungrateful bastards :D

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2021, 02:12:50 pm »

A new game with a lot of Hidden Agenda in it's DNA would be Suzerainhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1207650/Suzerain/

Leans a bit more towards Visual Novel than screns of stats, but very much the having to weigh bad choices and survival with your fictional nation's well-being!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2021, 03:39:58 pm »

The combination of click shooter character progression, and achievement progression of Elona Shooter is something I don't think I've found in another game, and is a particular sort of fast action game I can keep coming back to that I miss.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2021, 05:59:09 pm »

Autoduel also needs a remake, as i am unaware of any mad-max rpgs since.
There's been several mad max style rpgs over the years, including an entire jrpg series (The metal max stuff). I'm forgetting names, but I've seen three or four indie vehicle focused post-apoc type dealios just in the last two or three years. It's not a huge thing, but it's a fairly existent genre niche, it just doesn't get much visibility.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:01 pm »

You might like Alliance of the Sacred Suns when it becomes available to purchase (again).

Yes that one looks promising, I think I helped test a very early alpha a long time ago if that is Texashawk's game. I can't remember if I was able to help by finding anything, it was years ago. I was planning on picking it up at some point, the premise is very sound though I have no idea how it's evolved since then.

Has anyone mentioned Arcanum yet? I would love to see an Arcanum II in a Fallout style game.
I made this guy and I thought yeah Arcanum II would be sweet
Spoiler: are images (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2021, 10:12:30 pm »

A new game with a lot of Hidden Agenda in it's DNA would be Suzerainhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1207650/Suzerain/

Leans a bit more towards Visual Novel than screns of stats, but very much the having to weigh bad choices and survival with your fictional nation's well-being!

How often do you get to make the choices vs. read the text?  If it has Hidden Agenda's pacing, it's fine, but if it leans more the Visual Novel* direction, pass.
*Visual Novel direction being "wade through half an hour of text before you can make a decision." Blech.  >:(

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2021, 12:21:50 am »

mandatory SPORE mention. i like how Thrive is developing but it will be the next ice age before it gets to the same level of content, pretty weird that no other indie company has tried to replicate the success of that title, we have a lot of new god games but still nothing can compare to it (even when it had missing features like aquatic stage or actual life simulation).

another mention would be
, i like its spiritual successor but it just doesnt have the same feel...

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2021, 02:22:50 am »

Whatever happened to the whodunit genre?     Mallory Manor on the BBC micro deserves a roguelike/AI-dungeon make-over.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2021, 04:07:59 am »

The mention of Hidden Agenda reminded me that in all those playthrough i did , things were getting so personal sometime that i had made a personal enemy in that game, as whatever type of president i was "roleplaying" in my decisions, i was unable to NOT have a dislike of this character as she backstabbed me so many times, that bastard :D

And what about Shadow President ? was there something like this made since then ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:10:39 am by Robsoie »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2021, 05:18:31 am »

The mention of Hidden Agenda reminded me that in all those playthrough i did , things were getting so personal sometime that i had made a personal enemy in that game, as whatever type of president i was "roleplaying" in my decisions, i was unable to NOT have a dislike of this character as she backstabbed me so many times, that bastard :D

And what about Shadow President ? was there something like this made since then ?
The most satisfying run I've ever had of Hidden Agenda was when that woman was killed in the failed coup and clicking the button to fund Farsante's death squads once again. The worst thing about National Liberation is that they almost always get the army on their side. You have to pacify and splinter them if you want to be a real despot. Fund their co-operatives with one hand and funnel arms to the death squads taking them over for private landowners with the other

As for Shadow President, there's Cyberjudas, I guess? It's not quite as good. It is a lot buggier and the new mechanics are gamey and dumb. There isn't really a game that merges geopolitical simulation and grand strategy quite as well. There definitely isn't a game that completely dynamically simulates a post-apocalyptic world the same way Shadow President does, either.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:21:06 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2021, 05:43:15 am »

I must agree with some before : SimEarth.
Not ever a game has tried to do "this" after. At least SimLife was tried (like in species the game, or the bad Spore, or Ecosystem more recently on Steam).
I also agree with Capitalism II. And Democracy.

One other game was Conquest of the New World. Not so original (strategy game), but the fact that it was the only game where you could also play the amerindians, with a distinct goal. You could actually win against the europeans if you were good. You could also win without fighting with a good score. I miss a game where you can play the "indians" which is not EU4...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8