Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Games that were only made once and never replicated  (Read 10662 times)

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games that were only made once and never replicated
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:49 am »

Gangsters: Organized Crime. Nothing ever came even close to that old gem.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 09:38:34 am »

Vagrant Story is the obvious answer.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 09:45:59 am »

Darklands.  If I'm wrong, please please tell me.
This is what immediately came to my mind, and, unfortunately, I really haven't been able to find anything with the same feel as it had.
It did a great job of presenting as a 'real world' medieval Germany simulator, with an undercurrent of the magic/mystical world running through everything.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 09:57:26 am »

Covert action
This. One of Microprose timeless masterpiece, i replay it every few months since decades.
Incredible how something that good was never replicated since its release.
I, too, thought of Covert Action as soon as I saw this thread.

With that one already mentioned, I'll shout out Naval Ops: Warship Gunner 2. Trying to genre it is hard... An action RPG? A simulation? You build naval warships with all sorts of weapon customization, from basic guns to missile systems, and you go cruising around firing your weapons to blow up other ships in a campaign with a silly but reasonably well told campaign. I loved all of the customization you got around weaponry. It was originally for PS2, but was apparently ported to the PSP, and none of the actiony naval games I've played since have felt as fun or customizable.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 11:11:31 am »

Battle Brothers is similar in many ways

Outpost 2.

As far as I know, it's the only RTS where you actually kept your stuff between campaign mode maps. Admittedly, most of your buildings were abandoned due to narrative reasons*, so it was mostly a matter of resources and, more interestingly, the tech tree. Due to how it was structured in campaign, you couldn't get too far ahead, but it was enough to end up with a very real advantage if you went into each map fully loaded and as advanced as you could be, as opposed to just ending each map ASAP.

*Plot is kind of awesome in a scifi B-movie way: They were trying to colonize the planet and released (I want to say it was intentionally, but that'd be TOO dumb...) into the wild a microbe that would actively seek out and split all water into gaseous O2. Oops. So most of the game is spent getting enough resources to keep outrunning the wave of death.

Warzone 2100 https://wz2100.net/ uses the same mechanic with persistent units, as well as bases that you gradually develop over several missions before eventually abandoning them.

Also the Earth 2150 series, and it's many expansions did this, not sure about that sequel set on Mars tho, that one's kinda fuzzy. And both Homeworlds had you with a persistent fleet that followed you around, think it also scaled the difficulty depending on how well you were doing in terms of tech/fleet size, so staying around to farm the map wasn't always the best idea.

Also Emperor Battle For Dune

John Romero released something similar recently.

I never got the gameplay of G:OC. I liked the flavor, but never managed to "get" the game.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:13:51 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 01:44:08 pm »

I never got the gameplay of G:OC. I liked the flavor, but never managed to "get" the game.
Hiring goons, giving em jobs, and then watching it all play it.  You could intervene and tell them wait to do their job or go home or go shoot at cops/opposing gangsters.

Had to look up this romero guy.  Empire of Sins.  What stops me from getting it is turn based battles.  Personally I am tired of how slow they can be.  Even easy battles can take over half an hour(or more, quickly getting repetitive) and they typically do not let you delegate it in any way.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 01:51:27 pm »

Outpost 2.

As far as I know, it's the only RTS where you actually kept your stuff between campaign mode maps. Admittedly, most of your buildings were abandoned due to narrative reasons*, so it was mostly a matter of resources and, more interestingly, the tech tree. Due to how it was structured in campaign, you couldn't get too far ahead, but it was enough to end up with a very real advantage if you went into each map fully loaded and as advanced as you could be, as opposed to just ending each map ASAP.

*Plot is kind of awesome in a scifi B-movie way: They were trying to colonize the planet and released (I want to say it was intentionally, but that'd be TOO dumb...) into the wild a microbe that would actively seek out and split all water into gaseous O2. Oops. So most of the game is spent getting enough resources to keep outrunning the wave of death.

Warzone 2100 https://wz2100.net/ uses the same mechanic with persistent units, as well as bases that you gradually develop over several missions before eventually abandoning them.

Also the Earth 2150 series, and it's many expansions did this, not sure about that sequel set on Mars tho, that one's kinda fuzzy. And both Homeworlds had you with a persistent fleet that followed you around, think it also scaled the difficulty depending on how well you were doing in terms of tech/fleet size, so staying around to farm the map wasn't always the best idea.

Yep, Earth 2150. I still remember how I used up all of my resources and units in one mission only to have them all hacked (thus losing them), so I reloaded and failed the mission on purpose. As a consequence I got a really hard mission which I can only assume was supposed to be unwinnable (and losing it caused a game end), but after like 50 tries I managed to win and it had so many minerals on it it slingshoted me half way through the campaign (the whole campaign goal was to send 1 mil res to orbit).

And to add to the topic. Original War, a blend of RTS with RPG. you had a fixed amount of people, and everything required people. Research? Tank production? building a turret? having that turret actually shoot at enemies? having a tank drive around? gathering resources? All of it needed people doing the job, and if someone died there was no replacement. And you had on average maybe 10-12 people per mission, each with their own stats.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 01:56:01 pm »

(...)

G:OC and Empire of Sin are very different, G:OC is more of a simulation, while EoS is a kinda (new) X-Com-lite set during the Prohibition. 

Man, I really hope I can get some free time in the coming weeks, I might be able to try to do a prototype of a G:OC remake in Unity. The original team had like 10 members, including studio staff like producers etc, so it might not that difficult to create a playable prototype in a few weeks.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 02:22:25 pm »

For me there's never been a game just like Imperium Galactica.

Advancing the ranks, and the enemies getting stronger later if you are slow with stuff was rather interesting.

Someone made an open source version in java that's really faithfull to it.

https://github.com/akarnokd/open-ig

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:57 pm »

Covert action
This. One of Microprose timeless masterpiece, i replay it every few months since decades.
Incredible how something that good was never replicated since its release.
I, too, thought of Covert Action as soon as I saw this thread.

With that one already mentioned, I'll shout out Naval Ops: Warship Gunner 2. Trying to genre it is hard... An action RPG? A simulation? You build naval warships with all sorts of weapon customization, from basic guns to missile systems, and you go cruising around firing your weapons to blow up other ships in a campaign with a silly but reasonably well told campaign. I loved all of the customization you got around weaponry. It was originally for PS2, but was apparently ported to the PSP, and none of the actiony naval games I've played since have felt as fun or customizable.

idk how much overlap is there but ultimate admiral dreadnough has a way smaller scope but a very similar feeling

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 04:40:09 pm »

Battle Brothers is similar in many ways

Hm, not sure how much I agree, but since I own Battle Brothers, might be worth playing a bit more, just in case.  :P

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 04:43:50 pm »

idk how much overlap is there but ultimate admiral dreadnough has a way smaller scope but a very similar feeling
Oh, it's already out? I thought it was still in development!

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 07:29:12 pm »

Race the Sun

High speed racing against the clock on a procedural generated racetrack.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 12:13:12 am »

The Democracy series: clicky graphy political simulator.

Capitalism series: a business sim that is very businessy. Similar in some ways with supply chains etc, but very different to Factorio.

Pyro II: procedurally generated arsonist game where you attempt to burn down buildings in a silly manner while wearing a bright pink outfit.

M.U.L.E: kind of a business sim, I guess. Or a colony sim. Or something. But there's nothing else out there like it. There's remakes, but not other MULElikes.

(I'll probably add to the list as I think of them)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:16:27 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 05:09:55 am »

Capitalism - I remember how economy, accounting and marketing classes at university really made me appreciate the depth this game has.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8