Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Games that were only made once and never replicated  (Read 10656 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Games that were only made once and never replicated
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 09:07:01 am »

As far as I'm aware, there's not been another survival game with the sheer purity of Unreal World. Fortunately it's still being worked on, but I'd love to see a game that's just as survival focused in 3D realtime. Most "survival" games pretty much boil down to "We have food and water meters. They're both wildly abundant so you can ignore them for the most part. We might be daring and even include a temperature meter! Most of the fun comes from everything else". Unreal World is uncompromising in displaying how difficult survival actually is when you have no experience with it. You're far less likely to be mauled to death by a bear, or stabbed by a raider or something, and much more likely to starve to death or freeze in your first dozen or so runs because you can't hunt anything down, or you don't know how to fish, or preserve food.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 10:35:17 am »

I like to feel like DF's Adventure mode follows in the wake of Unreal World's survival mechanics.

Cataclysm DDA isn't so off from Unrealworld, if you'd like a more modern setting.

On the more mystical side, Elona is also rather unforgiving as far as dying from hunger is concerned, but I don't usually play with permadeath.

But yes, Unreal World is the best of the best in survival sims.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 04:28:15 pm »

Warzone 2100 https://wz2100.net/ uses the same mechanic with persistent units, as well as bases that you gradually develop over several missions before eventually abandoning them.
You beat me to it. Best RTS ever made.
It's still a great game, today. Lots of kudos to the community keeping it alive.

EDIT: there's another game / series that uses the concept of keeping your units over campaings though.. Lemme think.. What was it called.. Earth 2150
EDIT: haha ok I didn't read past the post I replied to yet, Earth2150 already covered
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:32:41 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 04:36:28 pm »

die by the sword was pretty unique and there was never a game quite like this befor or after.

granted, if you only played in arcade mode games like soul and stuff come pretty close.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 06:25:58 pm »

Eh, there's been a few since, actually... especially since VR has come around, some of which very much taps into that whole jank-as-hell slashfest vibe.

Pretty sure there was stuff with a similar concept (fairly detailed/physics-based-ish swordfighting) prior to it, too, for that matter. It was definitely a major benchmark for that sort of design, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 09:20:53 pm »

There was a game called "Seven Kingdoms II", it was kind of... hybrid of RTS and city builder?  You could play as either various humans, all sorts of old world cultures, or as frythans, various monster races like rock golems, giant lizardmen, meat demons(?), minotaurs and other sorts.

Humans had towns defended by forts.  You built structures like mines or factories, or temples and science towers, which all pulled workers from your towns.  Drafting soldiers also drew from your populace. Unemployed people were considered farmers, they generated food.  Mines and factories build goods to sell at markets, with most other structures revolving around military stuff at some point.

Each culture had a vaguely different base soldier, and a special structure that built a unique soldier as well.  Japanese got special samurai, while Egyptians got chariots.  Each also got a unique "seat of power," a big temple that summoned a unique god each with a different function.  Egypt got Isis, who could bless towns and give them 20 population, while the Chinese got a dragon cat that breathed fire.  It was possible to absorb other cultures by converting over neutral towns by building a fort, but generally each kingdom only gets one seat of power.

Frythans were much simpler, and geared much more towards constant aggression.  They only had a lair for housing and creating new creatures, as well as a unique ability/structure for each species.  Minotaurs got alchemy, lizards could build mage towers that cast spells, one species builds siege engines, so on.

Frythans needed to enslave neutral human towns for a flow of tribute money, but also they needed life force which they got by killing enemies.  Frythan kingdoms starved without conflict.  You could also mix species under one kingdom, by recruiting neutral lairs of the other species.

There was also SimAnt.  You controlled a single ant in a big colony.  There was another colony of red ants you had to outgrow and eventually exterminate.  This mostly involved hauling food to your colony, but also recruiting swarms of fellow ants and leading attacks onto the red colony.  All while managing your ant's energy and avoiding other insects and spiders, or the human's lawn mower.

There was a 'full game' mode that involved a greater strategic grid of the back yard and into the human's house.  You could breed drones and queens to spread new colonies into the yard, and eventually into the house.  Again the goal was to exterminate all red colonies, but also infest the house so much the human moves out.

There was a fatal flaw with the full game though, only the colony you are at is really simulated, and the game doesn't remember colonies you left.  It only really cares about the relative black and red populations of each square.  Leaving and returning to a colony just means an entirely new and randomly generated map and colony, not the home you left.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2021, 10:35:00 am »

There was a game called "Seven Kingdoms II", it was kind of... hybrid of RTS and city builder?  You could play as either various humans, all sorts of old world cultures, or as frythans, various monster races like rock golems, giant lizardmen, meat demons(?), minotaurs and other sorts.

Humans had towns defended by forts.  You built structures like mines or factories, or temples and science towers, which all pulled workers from your towns.  Drafting soldiers also drew from your populace. Unemployed people were considered farmers, they generated food.  Mines and factories build goods to sell at markets, with most other structures revolving around military stuff at some point.

Each culture had a vaguely different base soldier, and a special structure that built a unique soldier as well.  Japanese got special samurai, while Egyptians got chariots.  Each also got a unique "seat of power," a big temple that summoned a unique god each with a different function.  Egypt got Isis, who could bless towns and give them 20 population, while the Chinese got a dragon cat that breathed fire.  It was possible to absorb other cultures by converting over neutral towns by building a fort, but generally each kingdom only gets one seat of power.

Frythans were much simpler, and geared much more towards constant aggression.  They only had a lair for housing and creating new creatures, as well as a unique ability/structure for each species.  Minotaurs got alchemy, lizards could build mage towers that cast spells, one species builds siege engines, so on.

Frythans needed to enslave neutral human towns for a flow of tribute money, but also they needed life force which they got by killing enemies.  Frythan kingdoms starved without conflict.  You could also mix species under one kingdom, by recruiting neutral lairs of the other species.

There was also SimAnt.  You controlled a single ant in a big colony.  There was another colony of red ants you had to outgrow and eventually exterminate.  This mostly involved hauling food to your colony, but also recruiting swarms of fellow ants and leading attacks onto the red colony.  All while managing your ant's energy and avoiding other insects and spiders, or the human's lawn mower.

There was a 'full game' mode that involved a greater strategic grid of the back yard and into the human's house.  You could breed drones and queens to spread new colonies into the yard, and eventually into the house.  Again the goal was to exterminate all red colonies, but also infest the house so much the human moves out.

There was a fatal flaw with the full game though, only the colony you are at is really simulated, and the game doesn't remember colonies you left.  It only really cares about the relative black and red populations of each square.  Leaving and returning to a colony just means an entirely new and randomly generated map and colony, not the home you left.

Hm. There is empires of the undergrowth. It has a sandbox mode where its kinda like simant. I think its close its ever gotten to a SimAnt game.

Also unreal world...doesn't get a better survival game than that

day6reak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2021, 11:56:28 am »

Dominus - 90s era DOS game. Control a kingdom being invaded by totally different factions from all sides. Research traps and spells to develop new technology/magic to slow down and kill their scouts before the armies come. Capture their soldiers and torture them for information and secrets before sending them to the lab where different bodies of organic matter are combined into powerful abominations. Deploy different races of monsters to fight the invaders including the custom creations from the lab. Fly down in a chariot and throw fireballs at the invaders. Discuss strategy with your advisors and plan out future goals.

Its a super fun game and I wish this kind of thing got picked up.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2021, 12:59:15 pm »

They're never making another kirby air ride, are they?

I just want city trial really.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 04:33:49 pm »

Millennia: Altered Destinies - you have a time-travelling ship, the seeds to 'plant' 4 alien races on different planets, and the ability to move through time at 100 year increments. You help these 4 races develop by talking to their representative and keeping them to whatever path is best for the given species. The bug people are authoritarian collectivists, for instance, and won't react well if you try and introduce democracy to their society. There's also some other interactions you can occasionally make use of, like moving inventions around, or blasting some surface structure. Every change you introduce causes the future to be rewritten. And then the big bad problem of the future is an invading 5th alien species that seeks to eradicate all life in the galaxy. You want the 4 races to develop fast enough to fight them off and for them to create 4 components you need to go back to your own galaxy. And there's also an alternate time you that keeps undoing your work by jumping around through time and wrecking your race's developments.

Despite largely coming down to dialogue tree interactions, the concept was really unique and pretty much never again handled with that much freedom. But then adventure-strategy games seem a dead genre in general.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2021, 07:01:46 pm »

I think that both of David Eastman's political sims need either remake or replication, namely Floor 13 and Conflict Middle East political simulator.
Apparently, Floor 13 had a Japanese remake last year. Pretty weird, huh?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2021, 07:40:07 pm »

I think that both of David Eastman's political sims need either remake or replication, namely Floor 13 and Conflict Middle East political simulator.

Really?  Got any more info on it?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 12:41:10 am »

None, other than that it's released.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2021, 03:53:48 am »

None, other than that it's released.

Looks like basically the same exact game, right down to the negative reviews, lol.

I was kinda hoping it was actually set in Japan or something.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2021, 02:13:55 pm »

Wilderness: A Survival Adventure

This game manages to capture the feel of being really lost in a wilderness. I remember the panic when I found that the valley I was walking towards for the past 3 days isn't the one that I thought it was. I was just barely holding on, starving for past four days and dehydrated from food poisoning diarrhea. The idea that I have to backtrack those three days just to a point where I'm not even sure where the hell I am... At that moment I've understood how somebody in survival situation can just give up, sit down and die.

The Aurora Wager

7DRL Jam game from the volo airsport guys. You fly a balloon and navigate air currents to reach the north pole. On the way you need to try to land on islands to search for better gear and supplies. I loved this game, very relaxing, great for listening to podcasts and audiobooks.

Lone Spelunker

A speleologic roguelike with climbing, zip lining and scuba diving.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8