Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about caravans  (Read 577 times)

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about caravans
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

I am running into a problem with caravans. Traditionally I have just kept the depot outside. But I decided that I wanted much less hauling, so I built it inside this time, just before the chasm. The first caravan (an elven one) came along and we traded perfectly fine, but then it wouldn't leave. Eventually they all went insane, including their mules. I wasn't too worried about this, I don't really care about the elves. However, it happened again with the humans. What's the deal? I tried to figure it out in the wiki, but I didn't have any luck. Thanks to anyone who answers.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about caravans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 01:18:00 am »

there was another thread about this, where channels sometimes block caravan pathfinding.  if you have a channel (unfilled moat, perhaps) between your depot and the map edge, caravans might not find their way out.

supposedly if you bridge over it, the problem will be fixed.

now, i cant confirm this, because i have an indoor trade depot that i have a fillable channel blocking off, with no bridge, and never in about 10 years has a caravan gotten stuck.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Question about caravans
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

Generally speaking, I don't put the depot any further in the mountain than about halfway to the river.  I've never had any problems. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin