Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a problem with gathering zones when there are no step ladders?  (Read 1088 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first attempt a 0.47.05 is the continuation of a 0.47.04 save where I've retired the fortress and made a new embark during the summer. However, when I started as normal (for me) to set up gathering zones around trees and designating plants to be picked the herbalists just got stuck under some trees.
I thought the issue was the scripts I've used to set these up (the zone one in particular had some technical issues due to DFHack changes). However, when I repeat it with the normal manual zone designation I see the same thing: The dorfs stand under an oak (because that's the tree they got stuck under previously, so that's were I designated the zone) and just stand there, longingly looking at the acorns above. Disabling gathering from trees will eventually get them to realize they can go back to gather the plants they can actually reach, and building step ladders will get them to get the acorns.
I haven't seen this problem in the past, but on the other hand I may have made step ladders by the time fruit ripens (but date flowers are edible and show up fairly early, so I feel I should have encountered the issue in 0.47.04).

The question: Is it only me (possibly cause by scripts), or is it a common issue, and, if so, is it new to 0.47.05?

Edit:
There does seem to be a change. When I repeat this with 0.47.04 (-r04 for LNP), embarking in a slightly different location, the dorfs take some time to get the fruit, but eventually does get it. With 0.47.05 (-r02 for LNP) they just stand there until getting thirsty, at which time they drop what they'd gathered before getting trapped on the ground to get a drink (and none of the fruit they stared at is actually in those piles).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 10:20:00 am by PatrikLundell »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought they just collected stuff from the ground if there were no ladders, but I've also been too lazy to bother setting up anything resembling proper orchards.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are three different parameters for gathering zones: fallen fruit, plants on the ground, and fruit on the trees. You can Enable/Disable these in any combination. However, the fallen fruit collection did result in bycatches of other plants if they had fallen on top of those in 0.47.04 and earlier (it's probably the same in 0.47.05, but I haven't checked).

In my case I tested my oak tree both with and without collection from the ground (where there wasn't anything to be picked), and they just kept staring upwards.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

I often don't have stepladders, either through not building any or having them stolen. The dorfs still gather stuff they can reach. I just end up with more carrots and fewer sand pears.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's about how I understand it but since my food and drink stocks are so plentiful tree fruit has not been a significant priority.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath