Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game  (Read 7743 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:50 am »

The NukaGuard

The Council decided to for a civil police force as a response to criminal activity in Vault 98. The first step to formulating and arming the rotating police force was unsealing the armory meant for Vault-Tec's security teams. Seen as a sort of Pandora's Box, The Council had avoided opening the doors and letting whatever could be within out. When the doors were opened the first witnesses to the stockpile were speechless.

There wasn't just the typical expected set of guard uniforms and a handful of sidearms, batons, ammo, and cuffs. The room, which was made up of multiple floors of it's own, was absolutely packed with weapons and munitions most people could only dream of. For some reason, Vault-Tec had decided they'd need to arm themselves with high-tech energy weapons and armor. Plasma Rifles, Gatling Lasers, EMP Grenades, deactivated turrets...there was enough firepower here to win the Sino-American War! Obviously, the Council restricted the guard's access to weapons beyond the Laser Pistol, and the suits of T-60 Power Armor were strictly off-limits.

The Nuka Families were able to create a less-than-lethal weapon based off of the energy weapons in the armory that utilized weapons-grade Nuka Quartz developed by the Nuka Families. The liquidy blast from a Quartzgun was powerful enough to sting and bruise targets, but more importantly the soda's natural glow was able to "mark" targets, meaning that a fleeing suspect could be identified later by the white glow a Quartzgun left on them.

Initially, guards were selected via lottery. As the Nuka Families were a much smaller fraction of the population than the Independent Families, the militia was largely Independent at any given moment. Active-duty guards worked in pairs, with one Nuka and one Independent paired together, and this left the reserve force practically completely Independent.

The chief selection process was randomized from volunteers, but this process became rapidly politicized as less and less people would volunteer while also acquiring completely unrelated gifts from their aligned families. This process ultimately led to two militarized positions of leadership within the Vault as neither side wanted to surrender their Chief role to someone of lesser to no experience. The odd thing though was the lack of a rivalry between the Nuka Chief and the Independent Chief. Both Chiefs agreed that the only way to prevent the power struggle between Families from becoming something worse, especially with the insanely overstocked armory opened up, would be through empowering the biggest joint project between them.

The power of the Chiefs rose within their families until both were on the Families Council. With a strong level of political power within their families, the Chiefs began to slowly give more power to themselves and the rotating militia beneath them. This was somewhat problematic for the Council as well, since it turned out that giving people a strong militant figure to follow would lead to them actually following that figure, especially if they seemed more interested in the people than the rest of a many-faced Council was. Oh well, sometimes history's lessons go unheeded.

It was very difficult for the Council to restrain the Chiefs with popular opinion skewed heavily in their favor, and only rising as time passed. It became more difficult still with the occurrence of the first assault with a firearm in the Vault. An Independent recently relieved of their militia duties had managed to steal away Combat Armor and a Laser Rifle, and put them to use trying to settle a rivalry with an extreme level of finality. The gunman targeted another Independent, killing him and the two officers who arrived on-scene. As a barricade situation with hostages developed, the Council, under pressure from their populace, granted the Chiefs the ability to pull heavier arms and armor from the Armory. Two Independents and two Nukas, all immensely loyal to their Chiefs, assaulted the gunman while decked out in full T-60s and Plasma weaponry. The matter was settled quite quickly.

Although such an event was seen as unlikely to happen again, the Chiefs posited that it still could happen, and put forward reforms to the militia that were accepted by a Council pressured by a populace that by this point had almost all served directly under the Chiefs - including some of the Council themselves. While the militia was still rotated yearly, Combat Armor, modified to look slightly less imposing, as well as Energy Weapons became standard issue alongside a Quartzgun sidearm. An elite unit was also drawn up, consisting of four permanent members and the two best marksmen in the current militia rotation. Known as the NukaGuard, they trained extensively in their Power Armor (now modified to use Quantum fuel) and with the entire array of weapons at their disposal (minus the Fat Man). The NukaGuard stood watch over every Council Meeting, and became a quiet, constant reminder of the power the Chiefs now had over the citizens of Vault 98.

The first decade in Vault 98 managed to pass by without many more issues, although there were some tense moments. Scientific and cultural advancement dipped only slightly with the mandatory service requirements of the militia. With training accidents becoming a little more dangerous and slightly more common now, the scientific minds of the Vault (that is, the Nuka Families) made an attempt to advance their capabilities beyond reliance on a stockpile of stimpacks and a few bags of RadAway.

Propose the medical advancement made in Vault 98 during this time. This can be directly related to medical assistance, like a robot or medicine, or medicine-adjacent, like drugs or selective breeding. Get creative!

Spoiler: Vault 98 Experiment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:19:48 am by Man of Paper »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 08:35:30 am »

A simple suggestion. I'm not super happy with it.
Quote from: Nuka-Cure
So, here's the thing about nuclear war. It's gonna leave some, uh, Fallout. When the doors eventually open, we're going to find a world that is suboptimally radioactive. Okay, fine, we can deal with that. What we can't deal with is this: the Nuka-Cola out there is going to be radioactive. I mean, even more radioactive than Nuka-Cola Quantum. But you try telling someone from Vault 98 that they can't drink Nuka-Cola. There would be riots. Instead, it was considered a priority to develop a method of curing minor radiation poisoning, in a more affordable manner than RadAway presents. Thus, Nuka-Cure.

Nuka-Cure is made from Nuka-Cola syrup, a pack of RadAway, a dosage of Rad-X, and... chemicals. It just says chemicals. Let's not ask too many questions. The end result can be mixed with carbonated water to form a disconcertingly orange drink, which can then be bottled for later consumption. The off-tasting soda can treat minor radiation poisoning symptoms and bolster radiation resistance, which is a thing, trust me on this. It has less negative side effects than RadAway, although it is also less effective. I mean, it's basically just diluted RadAway and Rad-X mixed with sugar syrup, but still, it's useful.
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2021, 09:53:05 am »

Well, that was... certainly not an expected result of the police program. Though with knowledge of the setting, a moderate level of militarization is not a bad thing for once we get out.

Anyway, medial suggestions.
Quote from: Sink-Cola
Topside is going to be radiated to hell as a result of the nuclear war, which means two things: one, things are going to be irradiated, and two, people are going to get irradiated. While it may be simplest to just try to treat the result - the second part, radiation poisoning - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and so methods of capturing radiation in a way that doesn't leave the result similarly radioactive - making "rad sinks" - were researched. The result: a derivative of Nuka-Cola that absorbs radiation, using it to break down the sugars and other high-energy molecules in it. This essentially results in radiation being transformed into heat; as a side effect, while the Sink-Cola remains active, it will give off a slight green glow, only dimming once all rad-absorbing particles have broken down or there is no radiation left in the area (so, when the particles have broken down).

There are three main methods of use: sprinkling Sink-Cola over a relatively large but lightly irradiated area, putting a bottle of Sink-Cola in smaller but more heavily irradiated areas, or drinking Sink-Cola to draw the radiation out of somebody. In the last case, the heat-releasing byproduct of Sink-Cola has the capacity to leave one with the symptoms of a fever for a few days, but it is much more thorough about removing radiation than any other anti-rad drugs available, even if it's slower. It also tastes vaguely of sour green apples.
Quote from: Doc Pop
Not everybody likes injecting themselves with a stim-pak whenever they need quick healing. In fact, most people don't; those needles are big. So, one of the Nuka families decided to look into how they worked, and noticed that there was a surprising level of overlap between the chemicals involved and the additives used to give Cherry Nuka-Cola its flavor. The next step was obvious. Unfortunately, it was also incorrect.

The family tried to get "Doc Pop" to work for a while, but neither injecting it like a stim-pak nor drinking it like Nuka-Cola worked (and the medicinal aftertaste it left wasn't terribly pleasant). The breakthrough only came when one of the testers accidentally broke a bottle, cutting up their hand and getting it covered in Doc Pop in the process. As they watched, though the process hurt - it was a lot like having a wound immersed in hydrogen peroxide, in fact - their wounds visibly began to seal shut. The next chance to test the process came about a week later, when a first-time policeman accidentally shot their partner in the leg; pouring Doc Pop over the wound stopped the bleeding quickly, and while they were still walking with a limp for a few months afterward, the patient made a full recovery.
Quote from: Lumen
Lumen is unusual in that it was actually invented by a member of the Independent Families while mixing Nuka Cola flavors to get something new. As it turns out, putting together 50% Nuka Quartz, 25% Nuka Wild, 25% Nuka Orange, and a splash of Nuka Quantum gives you a liquid that is not only extremely bright, but also stays extremely bright for a long time, and can be "recharged" by running an electrical current through it, making it a very efficient replacement for electrical lights, as well as being useful to doctors, engineers, and the like for lighting up otherwise hard-to-illuminate areas, allowing for far greater visibility in surgery, mechanical repair, and other similar situations.

One man, who'd had relatives in Florida, said that it tasted like Ironbeer if it had been blessed by the sun. He glowed for a month.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:59:33 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2021, 12:45:05 pm »

Hmm I wouldn’t mind going with a Nuka-Cola medicine/drug, but here’s something a bit different.
Quote from: Nuka Powered Prosthetics
Bored one night-cycle, a young researcher who was messing around with prosthetics for a cousin who lost an arm in an industrial accident when she on a whim thought to try powering the device with Nuka Quantum. After making a few prototypes,  she was surprised to discover that the Nuka Quantum, when it accidentally contacted her cousin’s skin, allowed her cousin to control the mechanical arm with nearly all of the precision and control of his original hand, erewhile maintaining an incredible strength. Upon further refinement and testing she found it consumed about a bottle of quantum for a day of active use, while providing incredible strength with fine control.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »

I kinda hate, but find it amusing that this whole thread has devolved into a Nuka-Cola fest  :P

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2021, 02:08:34 pm »

I kinda hate, but find it amusing that this whole thread has devolved into a Nuka-Cola fest  :P
Well, if you have a suggestion that doesn't stick to the Nuka theme whilst still fitting our situation, feel free to share it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2021, 02:27:59 pm »

Listen we were given Nuka-Cola in vast excess and it's ridiculous enough that some of it can be used as nuclear fuel, is it so ridiculous that useful chemicals and drugs could be made with it?

And as Nuke said, feel free to provide non-soda-y ideas like Nuka-Cola Dark.

EDIT: Besides, once we're developing behaviors and relationships, we won't be so universally soda. This is just the materials we have to work with, and by God is it a versatile material for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:48:34 pm by Glass »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 02:31:39 pm »

Nuka-Dew
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2021, 02:40:24 am »

Partial Cloning
given the greater potential for loss of limb or organs in training accidents (and the generally higher risk of renal failure of your average vault 98 denizen), several of the more medically minded members of the Nuka Families made various attempts to create replacements for any missing parts.
While early on mechanical substitutes were attempted, relatively high rates of prosthesis rejection put a damper on that. Eventually, it was decided that limited human cloning would be attempted, as cloned parts would not be rejected assuming they were derived from the patients own genes. The final process they settled on involved creating a bioscaffold with implanted stem cells, grown in a vat of Nuka Cola derivative, and putting it in a vat of a slightly different Nuka Cola derivative to further stimulate cell growth.  Now, a variety of concerns involving the balance of power and general ethics meant that a whole body, or even just the brain, was officially banned, and a reasonable degree of security was kept to ensure that no lines were crossed that couldn't be uncrossed.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2021, 05:25:09 am »

At this rate the entire Vault will be Nuka powered and that's a beautiful thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2021, 02:59:36 pm »

Quote from: Nukabox
Partial Cloning (1): m1895
Nuka Dew ():
Nuka Cure ():
Sink Cola ():
Nuka Powered Prosthetics ():
Doc Pop ():
Lumen ():
The Man demands votes

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2021, 03:02:07 pm »

Paper, please clarify: is there any requirement here to vote for proposals to go through, or are all inventions valid so long as nobody specifies that they're against it going through?

EDIT: Also, should I make a channel for this game in my Discord?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:09:56 pm by Glass »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:45 pm »

considering it says "The Medical Advancement" singular I think we only get one.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2021, 04:24:46 pm »

No discord, I want people to at least try to pretend this is a forum game. Also you get to be bonked by the look at the op stick.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 05:02:32 pm »

Got it. Whoops.
Wouldn't have made three proposals if I'd remembered we could only do one. Oh well.

EDIT: Have le vote.
Quote from: Nukabox
Partial Cloning (1): m1895
Nuka Dew ():
Nuka Cure ():
Sink Cola ():
Nuka Powered Prosthetics (1): Glass
Doc Pop ():
Lumen ():
I just kinda feel like partial cloning is prosthetics-minus, with the sole exception of the power source - which, given that the prosthetics also come with the understanding of how to get such that are both stronger and more dexterous than the human equivalent, implies to me that we'd just need to figure out potential alternative power sources if we start running low on Quantum (somehow), and it opens the way for additional limbs better than partial cloning does, as well as better robots.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:38:20 pm by Glass »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10