Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rimworld MarsX: Mars Colony (total conversion mod)  (Read 4859 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rimworld MarsX: Mars Colony (total conversion mod)
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:51:55 am »

I was considering putting this in the Rimworld thread. But decided since because personally been looking and looking and more looking for a Mars game that is (for me) enjoyable and indepth, decided to make this its own thread. Didn't really want the mod to end up buried in the thread, when its actually a really good indepth and complex mars (game/mod)

https://github.com/Dubwise56/MarsX/

Put the folder into the mod folder in the rimworld directory in the steam folder.

Here is the OLD version (it is NOT compatible with current rimworld at all, but you can see the jist of things)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732754899

By default, he made mods not work for MarsX. It is supposed to be a completely new game based off the Rimworld engine and its a mod. It isn't the same at all, hence another reason this is its own thread. Though mods CAN work, but it takes a lot of work and knowing how to do it to do so. If anyone wants, I managed to make vegetable garden and a few other mods work, tried to get tiberium but it didn't work I don't think (or maybe it did but I think its missing things) and that is fine so if I end up uploading what I got, you'll see tiberium startup errors. It doesn't cause crashing or issues in-game though (well I haven't tried tiberium stuff, so maybe trying to use tiberium be bad, but otherwise if untouched its fine definitely).

I got vegetable garden so I can do terraforming mars, which...is actually vastly harder than it sounds in this mod. The start needs precise timing (and lots of pausing), and an exact order of things. Stockpile very close to rocket (which the rocket you can launch and not sure where can go with it, also don't touch the rocket controls when its landing otherwise...well maybe you want to see a michael bay explosion :P). And there is barely any time to do research, so getting to the terraforming stuff is more longterm. After stockpile is down, under blueprints is a hub, do the cheaper smaller one and make sure you started with two colonists that can do engineering (need a biologist of a sort, a specialized engineer of some kind and a geologist of some kind, the last two can do engineering with the engineer being the best at it). I'll let everyone else figure the rest out on their own :)

Outside of that, this has turned out to be rather amazing and exactly what I was looking for in a Mars game. The github is still in development, been in development a while. But it works on Mars, and its playable with one caveat...when you get new colonists that come on a rocket, you gotta debug them to full battery for their suit cause they arrive with an empty battery. Or you'll end up with only dead new arrivals. He'll probably fix it in his next update. I think thats the only major bug and its easy to fix.

There is also the moon and europa (which is locked and will come later). The moon is more a showcase project, in discord he said the moon is not finished and not in a playable state, but you can check it out. Keep in mind, only 15% of the content is in (but there is a lot of content already). So some stuff isn't there, and the moon while really cool isn't really playable.

Here is the only recent let's play someone did, there are others but no english ones besides the ones I link below.

Of the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh2FyR-4Q4M

of mars (the focus of the mod)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em_bECptOUQ

Very much enjoying it :)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 05:49:15 pm by The_Explorer »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Rimworld MarsX: Mars Colony (total conversion mod)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 04:33:19 am »

Does it work on 1.2? I'm seeing a last release date as being pre 1.2 release.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:25:14 pm »

Does it work on 1.2? I'm seeing a last release date as being pre 1.2 release.

The github build does, yes. The workshop one is too old. I'm playing the github version of this conversion on the latest steam rimworld build and it works fine. Though I did run into a bug (that others have experienced) where the save dies and got to find an autosave that isn't broken, the whole screen turns grey. It only happened once though, and probably because I added stuff to it which I'm sure didnt help. Its super rare in any case, because I played all day yesterday with a bunch of mods and it never happened again. Though I'm not using any mods next time, just how its intended.

Its also better to disconnect any controllers you may have so the landing isnt messed up, since he put in controller support (I got an xbox controller) for landing the rocket. No idea how he did that cause never seen rimworld with a controller lol.

Its however quite challenging, like dark souls challenging lol. I'm gonna go back and just play the mod as intended, but wow is it hard. Its a lot of fun though, and colonizing mars shouldn't be easy anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:31:00 pm by The_Explorer »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 12:33:59 pm »

Looks interesting, thanks for posting.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 03:53:43 pm »

Looks interesting, thanks for posting.

Hope gets more attention :)

Though on discord he said about 15% of the stuff been ported over. Which if that is all, there is already a lot of content. And works rather well as it is and playable (except humidity is always 100%, and doesn't seem to have any positives/negative (which is good since it doesnt go down) so there are some bugs to be fixed). Then future content will be like the deep drills will mine ice for water instead of whatever they mine now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:14:13 pm by The_Explorer »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 04:09:06 pm »

Huh, neat!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 07:50:26 pm »

Well, my third colony failed.

The water extractors (the humidity ones don't work, so don't build those) need to be placed on sand. Spent until the end figuring that out lol.

The other problem is I don't think airlocks right next to each other works out, they kept getting stuck at the airlock doors. It would been better to make a 4 wide hallway and have a separation between them, but lesson learned.

And think made things a bit too compact and didn't layout everything too well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:16:38 pm by The_Explorer »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 06:03:32 am »

How do you get air to work? I've got a fully sealed habitat, there's a MOXIE creating air, it's being pumped out of an outlet (or should be, it's hooked up to gas and electricity)... And the atmosphere inside the hab is still martian atmosphere?

EDIT: OK, I was being stupid, fixed it. Got to manually offload the ship then hook that up to the system to bootstrap it.

Second question: How do you force EVAs? I ended my EVAs because they needed to sleep. Now they refuse to EVA again; I get them to start the EVA and they refuse to do anything after that EXCEPT end the EVA.

EDIT2: Alright, found out that you have to schedule it otherwise they abandon the EVA as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:31:38 am by Great Order »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 08:49:17 am »

How do you get air to work? I've got a fully sealed habitat, there's a MOXIE creating air, it's being pumped out of an outlet (or should be, it's hooked up to gas and electricity)... And the atmosphere inside the hab is still martian atmosphere?

EDIT: OK, I was being stupid, fixed it. Got to manually offload the ship then hook that up to the system to bootstrap it.

Second question: How do you force EVAs? I ended my EVAs because they needed to sleep. Now they refuse to EVA again; I get them to start the EVA and they refuse to do anything after that EXCEPT end the EVA.

EDIT2: Alright, found out that you have to schedule it otherwise they abandon the EVA as soon as possible.

Glad figured it out. There is quite a bit micromanagement here required,. You have to keep an eye on their suits as well, and end their EVA if the suits get damaged manually. But if the suits being used too much where they start running out of power, got to change work orders so they do other stuff.

(edit1: Turns out for water needed a MISPP constructed and a wind trap)
(edit2: Actually that creates methane xD The last game I couldnt get water at all in my shower/bathroom area, this game I can. Even though it shows 0% water. It must be a visual bug)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:46:33 am by The_Explorer »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 10:28:58 am »

Anyone else got a 12 hour clock instead of the 24 hour one?

It messed with me for a while when I couldn't work out why it was light at 1am. Turns out it was 1pm.

A bit annoying that there's no option to revert to the 24 hour clock, it's much better in my opinion.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 10:52:25 am »

Yeah I got the 12 hour clock too, didn't actually notice that but it did make doing the work orders confusing at first since they are still in 24 hour format.

In other news, I got water figured out. Got to do an order to dig icy soil to get water, to put in that machine and it finally makes it

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 10:58:06 am »

How do you fix EVA suits? Had an accident which dropped it... 1%. It doesn't seem to have an effect, but the constant beeping is irritating.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 02:27:50 pm »

How do you fix EVA suits? Had an accident which dropped it... 1%. It doesn't seem to have an effect, but the constant beeping is irritating.

Just put them back in the EVA holder thing and it repairs it. It'll still beep though which yeah is pretty annoying

This is my base after surviving to the first fleet reinforcement of supplies

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And for reference, I find this works well. Don't want everyone on EVA (once get the basics setup and the stockpile moved indoors where they can get access to it), and I have two on EVA but at different times in case something goes wrong. But not long EVA times either, I find things go bad if they are out too long in their suit. One for engineering/maintenance, and another for the same but specialized for mining

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still setting up the farm area, it takes a lot of dirt and I probably made it too big lol. Ignore the messy pipes and stuff, never been good at wiring and organizing :P

The only thing I did wrong kinda was forgot to change some solar panels to aluminum, but now I'm running out of that so maybe for the better. I setup the production first since steel is super important, then setup the shower/bathroom area. Inbetween moved the stockpile inside. At that point after the shower area was made, is when I set up their work order like that in the second screenshot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:41:21 pm by The_Explorer »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 12:26:47 am »

Ooh. I remember loving this mod back in the day.  I still have fond memories of my first game in it, which was (naturally) a Watney challenge.  I'll definitely be watching this again.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:33:20 am by Culise »

Fowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 02:35:19 am »

Great mod. Spent a lot of time on it and have no regrets
Pages: [1] 2