Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 71

Author Topic: Risky Ventures: Lazy Fair | Early Spring, Year 3 - New investors always welcome!  (Read 44852 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

LOT3BID: 2 Royal Favour and 1.84 Guineas

Sorry to keep holding up the turn everyone.  If Andrea outbids this, I concede the Auction and give my permission to process the turn immediately.
So Mean, do you have to try and undercut Andrea?

Actually, yes.  If Andrea has sufficient funds to lend to everyone, then nobody would take out loans from me at Andrea's rate of 10%.  As long as Andrea does NOT have sufficient funds to lend to everyone at 10%, I can continue to lend at that rate.  My profit engine actually relies upon Andrea's insufficiency of lending capital.

Plus, this minimum bid +0.05 guinea to win the bid is pissing me off.  Had it been even +0.10 guinea, I might have backed down by now.   :P

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or.. Hear me out. You could offer a 9% loan instead, gaurenteeing business loans. Or use that royal favor to charter new routes to sell navigation to. Or new inventions. (All this does is lose you favor, as I happen to be Andrea's biggest whale right now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or.. Hear me out. You could offer a 9% loan instead, gaurenteeing business loans. Or use that royal favor to charter new routes to sell navigation to. Or new inventions. (All this does is lose you favor, as I happen to be Andrea's biggest whale right now.

9% is less than 10%.
While I'm a little unclear on the last auction, I've always understood the last bid in an auction to be binding, so I'm committed for now.
But I hear you, and I'll consider your thoughts in the future.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What money are you going to loan, exactly?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What money are you going to loan, exactly?

If I win?
I guess then I'd be going into the tariff business instead of the lending business...
Or, the publishing business, with all the ethics of London's Finest periodicals!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let him have it Andrea, he'll find buyers slim on the sea.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, I am curious how it works out.

I'll be willing to buy the title at a later time, if you find no use to it.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:10:01 pm by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Late Winter, Y2
TURNTURNTURN
Spoiler: Actions processed (click to show/hide)

The Fair Feldspar and SWUN sail south, whilst the Warrick, Magierin, Motherland's Bounty, and Pirate's Question sail for Norderland.
The departure of the SWUN is especially extravagant, as the owner attends the ceremony in stylish clothing that makes many an onlooker jealous. Truly, they say, Rock's Firm must be the wealthiest merchant company if its owner can dress in such sumptuous apparel. 

Only a smattering of sand is sold this month, keeping the price high.
[5 Sand Sold]

A generous dump of Wool is greeted with relief by wool brokers. They'd still prefer to have larger stockpiles, though, so the price remains high.
[24 Wool Sold]

After some intense competition between them and Sharky's Financial Services, the title "Lord of Norderland" goes to Lazy Jack's Investco. The CEO is invited to the Royal Court, where they are presented with a grey sash. It's grey because that's the colour of Norderland, not because it's cheaper, shut up. They are also tapped on the shoulder with a sword and proclaimed Lord, which is the important part.
The CEO of Sharky's Financial Services, in a show of good sportsmanship, attends the ceremony. In a show of less good sportsmanship, they come dressed in luxurious clothing that makes the new Lord look poor and shabby.
The newly minted Lord is presented with a dossier on Norderland, and promised regular reports from the royal agents stationed there.
[Lazy Jack's Investco receives the title "Lord of Norderland". Intel is sent via PM]

With the auction concluded, the Crown recognises the services of Wilco Ventures and the Bathtub Corsairs in donating to the Wool industry. On top of this, Wilco Ventures' generous donation to the Crown's coffers yields another invitation to the royal palace. A brief audience with the Queen takes place, wherein she complements the CEO on being appropriately dressed this time.
[Wilco Ventures and the Bathtub Corsairs receive 1 Royal Favour each, as promised. Wilco Ventures also receives 3 Royal Favour]

After a year of good behaviour, the Crown sends a letter in which Happy Crab LLC is forgiven for their earlier slights.
[Happy Crab LLC receives 1 Royal Favour]

Shh. Do you hear that? It sounds sort of like a rambling madman, but it's coming from the sea... oh no.
Luther Van Pillar is back. His ship is a little bedraggled, but the man himself appears to be entirely unchanged by his voyage. If anything, he seems more enthusiastic about his theory. However, he is true to his word, and hands over charts (and a SCOPE) to the Bathtub Corsairs. Aforementioned charts show the way to a previously unknown landmass, lying across the great ocean to the west. As for the name of this newly discovered region... well, you see...
After a long journey across featureless ocean, Luther encountered a bounteous land of woods and grass. The natives seem to spend most of their time sitting on sacks full of dried beans and listening to weird music, not actually doing any work. When asked what the land was called, they responded "Hey, land is land, man, it doesn't need a name. Chill out". When asked who owned the land, one of them inhaled some sort of strange smoke from a wooden pipe before replying "You can't own land, that's like owning the sky. Woah, what if I owned the sky?".
Giving up on trying to get information from the natives, Luther decided to stick a Motherlands flag in the ground and claimed the entire region for the Crown. Now dubbed "New Motherlands", the region would make a great place for a colony- if anyone actually wanted to move away from the Motherlands, but nobody does. So we'll just stick to trading trinkets to the natives for, uh, "hemp". It's... useful for making rope. Yeah. Sure.
The primary danger in crossing the ocean is apparently boredom. So long as one sticks to the route Luther charted, you'll be fine. Probably. Well, fine-ish. It's a long voyage, so things can still go wrong.
[I... swear there are destinations whose names don't start with N. Really, I promise]
[The Bathtub Corsairs receive Exclusive Charts to New Motherlands. Also they get a SCOPE back]

Aywanez' Own, Hardtack, Giddy Chicken, and Coppermold return on schedule and without issue. The Great Granular Galleon arrives, somewhat delayed and with a slightly depleted crew, but otherwise unharmed. The Yet Another Pirate also returns, significantly delayed but in perfect condition.
The captain of the GGG explains that they were boarded by pirates when leaving the Nearsouthlands, but managed to fend them off. Subsequently, they took refuge in a Nearsouthlands port, to recuperate and avoid other pirates in the area. There are a few dead sailors as well as a few crippled ones, who will need to be replaced, but the costs are manageable.
The captain of the YAP sheepishly admits that after leaving Norderland, he had his charts the wrong way up, and spent a month sailing in the wrong direction before realising his mistake.
[The Great Granular Galleon is damaged. It will cost 1 Guinea to fully repair. She can sail without repairs]

Two ships are missing this month: the Bloody Shark and Jolly Crustacean. Of the Bloody Shark, the captain of the Hardtack confirms the story told by the Warrick's captain last month- they witnessed the Bloody Shark plowing headfirst into a storm (whilst the Hardtack took a minor detour). However, he does not think the storm alone would be enough to delay the Bloody Shark.
Neither the captain of the Giddy Chicken nor the Coppermold have any leads on the Jolly Crustacean's whereabouts.

PRICES
Sand    - 0.44 Guineas per unit (+0)
Wool    - 0.82 Guineas per unit (+0)
Copper  - 1.75 Guineas per unit (+0)
"Hemp"  - 1.2 Guineas per unit (new!)
Ship    - 11 Guineas each (+0)
Caravel - 9 Guineas each (+0)

DESTINATIONS
Nearsouthlands  - 2 Month round trip, yields Sand   | Public charts
Norderland      - 3 Month round trip, yields Wool   | Exclusive charts
Nordestlant     - 5 Month round trip, yields Copper | Public charts
New Motherlands - 4 Month round trip, yields "Hemp" | Exclusive charts

SHIPS
<Great Granular Galleon - Returned Late Winter Y2 with 10 units of Sand. Intending to depart for Nearsouthlands Early Spring Y3 [SCOPE] Damaged 0-1gn
<Aywanez' Own           - Returned Late Winter Y2 with 10 units of Sand. Intending to depart for Nearsouthlands Early Spring Y3 [SCOPE][Sanded]
>Fair Feldspar          - Departed Late Winter Y2 for Nearsouthlands. Expected return Early Spring Y3 [SCOPE]
>SWUN                   - Departed Late Winter Y2 for Nearsouthlands. Expected return Early Spring Y3

>Warrick                - Departed Late Winter Y2 for Norderland. Expected return Mid Spring Y3 [SCOPE]
!Bloody Shark           - Departed Early Winter Y2 for Norderland. Expected return Late Winter Y2 Missing
<Hardtack               - Returned Late Winter Y2 with 10 units of Wool. Intending to depart for Norderland Early Spring Y3 [SCOPE][Sanded]
<Yet Another Pirate     - Returned Late Winter Y2 with 10 units of Wool. Intending to depart for Norderland Early Spring Y3
>Magierin               - Departed Late Winter Y2 for Norderland. Expected return Mid Spring Y3
>Motherland's Bounty    - Departed Late Winter Y2 for Norderland. Expected return Mid Spring Y3
>Pirate's Question      - Departed Late Winter Y2 for Norderland. Expected return Mid Spring Y3

<Giddy Chicken          - Returned Late Winter Y2 with 10 units of Copper. Intending to depart for Nordestlant Early Spring Y3 [SCOPE]
!Jolly Crustacean       - Departed Mid Autumn Y2 for Nordestlant. Expected return Late Winter Y2 [SCOPE] Missing
<Coppermold             - Returned Late Winter Y2 with 10 units of Copper. Intending to depart for Nordestlant Early Spring Y3 [SCOPE]

<Lying Bastard          - Explorer. Returned Late Winter with charts to New Motherlands.

INVENTIONS:
SCOPE - 3 Sand - Private
Lace Pattern Clothing - 2 Wool - Public
Spinning Jack - 1 Wool, 1 Guinea - Public (6/12 donated)
Sandpaper - 2 Sand - Public

OTHER OFFERINGS
Moira Libum is always taking donations of any amount/combination of resources, and will provide blueprints in return.

MECHANIC CHANGE: Moira's Whims. If multiple players donate the exact same combination of resources in the same turn, Moira will pick one at random to accept (I had previously said it was first come first served).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:28:44 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Lazy Fair | Late Autumn, Year 2
« Reply #1013 on: May 25, 2021, 04:03:54 pm »

ACTACTACT: Sell 6 copper for 10.50, Sell 10 sand for 4.40

We, the undersigned private entities, agree to purchase the ship 'Irreplaceable III' to sail the route between the Motherlands and the New Motherlands until the ship has sunk or it has been chosen otherwise. Percent shares will be given out to all investors proportional to how much they have invested into the vessel. They can be sold or given away at any time. These shares entitle the holder to a percentage of the Irreplaceable III cargo as much as the amount of shares that are owned. Repairing the ship will be carried out through the use of a "repair fund". Owning shares obligates the owner to pay that percentage of the missing sum to fully repair the ship. Failure to pay into the "repair fund" will lead to those shares being auctioned off, and the money being put into the "repair fund". Any costs associated with travelling of a route or upgrading the ship shall be borne by all participants in proportion to their share of the ship. Any executive decisions of the ship, such as changes to the name or destination, require the owners of at least 60% of all shares of the Irreplaceable III. Any modification to this contract requires all shareholders of the Irreplaceable III to be in agreement.

-Aywanez Enterprises 6.6 guineas

What is this going to cost us, Sharky?

Spoiler:  Aywanez Enterprises (click to show/hide)

Edit: misread the price of sand.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:34:11 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

ACTACTACT: Sell 6 Sand for 2.64 Guineas.
ACTACTACT: Powder and Partner provides 0.66 Guineas for the repair of the Great Granular Galleon
ACTACTACT: As allowed for per contract, Powder and Partner claims 0.34 Guineas from Lord Pibleton to complete repair of the Great Granular Galleon.

@Andrea: Powder and Partner pays 2.8 Guineas of the principal of the loan back to Sharky's Financial Services.
Spoiler: Powder and Partner (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Tric: Want to buy some info? I think it involves your ship.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Tric: Want to buy some info? I think it involves your ship.
Not particularly. It will come in when it comes in. If not, so be it.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Lazy Fair | Mid Winter, Year 2
« Reply #1017 on: May 25, 2021, 04:34:56 pm »

ACTACTACT: Sell 4 Sand for 1.76gn
Pay 0.34gn to Powder for repairs and recruitment

@Andrea: Pay 2.5gn of my interest

Spoiler: Lord Pibleton (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ACTACTACT
Yet Another Pirate turns to add it's own brand of trade to the New Motherland.
10 wool is sold for 8.2gn.
7gn is used to pay off the debt to SFS.

Andrea, need a contract for a ship. (10gn, also a notice I'll be withdrawing my money in three-four turns.)
Likewise, a meeting to discuss with your navigators the route as agreed. Good selling. (Though keep the one sold to 1 today, preferably to someone with their own ship. You can get more out of it, which leads to more money to loan.)

Spoiler: Bathtub Corsairs (click to show/hide)

Of Note, I am currently selling the Pirate's Question, No questions asked, for 10gn.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:59:44 pm by TricMagic »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That I can agree to.

We, the undersigned Aywanez Enterprises, agree to transfer 1.4 guineas to the undersigned company, Lazy Jack's Investco.
Lazy Jack's Investco shall in exchange deliver one unit off copper (or 1.75 guineas) in two turns.
- Aywanez Enterprises
- Lazy Jack's Investco

Transfer my 1 Copper to Aywanez Enterprises this turn to complete the contract as gratitude for helping me get the Lordship.
Advice Time: This is actually the Opposite of what I should be doing.  I should wait until next turn, and either transfer the 1 copper if it is worth less than 1.75 guineas OR transfer the 1.75 Guineas and sell the Copper if the Copper is more valuable.  But I'm being gracious and Lordy.

For those who doubt the power of the Lord of Norderland:
I COULD tell you the "Pirate's Question" was sunk.  This is a lie.  I KNOW it is a lie. But I COULD tell it to you.  If you want the Truth, send me your 0.02 Guineas!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 71