Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 29980 times)

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2021, 10:37:16 am »

That or it walked off map - it isn't in the units menu.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2021, 09:02:04 am »

Nice updates Knight! Despite being uneventful it looks like a fair amount of expansion was completed.

I've had many visitors up and leave after a season of rampage. Must be contract workers.

Sent a PM to Imic, otherwise I will take over. And honestly I would likely dedicate my entire turn to military matters. Poking the beast, should it come to that..

edit: as seen below, Imic will pass turn. Intro update today or tomorrow..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:34:26 am by Salmeuk »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2021, 10:53:04 am »

Due to my continued delusion that Salmeuk and Ququasar are the same person wearing exponentially elaborate costumes to trick the general public into believing otherwise for reasons yet unknown, I replied to Salmeuk's PM forgetting that Salmeuk, as it happens, is not the OP of Fishheads. So, uh, I'm going to request that I be dumped to the bottom of the turn list for the time being while I sort out some IRL stuff that popped up today.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2021, 06:57:36 pm »

Nice updates Knight! Despite being uneventful it looks like a fair amount of expansion was completed.

I've had many visitors up and leave after a season of rampage. Must be contract workers.

Sent a PM to Imic, otherwise I will take over. And honestly I would likely dedicate my entire turn to military matters. Poking the beast, should it come to that..

Battle. Colloseum.

My only request - we've got plenty for it, and can probably breed the animalmen we have.

Also - try to upgrade the Aquamarine guard.. and please don't change the squad name
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2021, 08:57:46 pm »

Battle. Colloseum.

My only request - we've got plenty for it, and can probably breed the animalmen we have.

Also - try to upgrade the Aquamarine guard.. and please don't change the squad name

noted. I like the name too!

We still have that giant narwhal sitting in a cage, and he could probably do with some lotion after all this time away from the ocean. I'll put in a motion...

Hilariously, our entire fortress is held up by like one, maybe two wooden pillars. Leading to the possibility an evil overseer could collapse the whole place with one designation. lol

I might try to bring up magma to the docks.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2021, 09:36:13 pm »

Just wanted to chime in and offer props to the past few Overseers.  Between the bedrooms and workshop overhaul, you guys have managed speedy building work.  At this rate, we might be able to indulge some vanity projects, like finally building a room for our mascot (is she still alive?).  I have an idea for an ocean-based megaproject, but that needs to wait at least a few more turns.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2021, 10:51:18 am »

Just wanted to chime in and offer props to the past few Overseers.  Between the bedrooms and workshop overhaul, you guys have managed speedy building work.  At this rate, we might be able to indulge some vanity projects, like finally building a room for our mascot (is she still alive?).  I have an idea for an ocean-based megaproject, but that needs to wait at least a few more turns.

Describe your idea further, I would be happy to lay the foundations for such a project. Salmeuk the dwarf is an architect, after all. .

======

scribbled margin notes from blueprints dated Dwarven Year 208

I have returned. Tasked with building a fighting area, some kind of "Amphitheater of Violence." Can it be done in a single year? My masonry must be rebuilt, with proper workflow. Blocks must be built. Blocks and blocks and blocks and blocks. .

There are too many puppies. Must lock them in cages.

Some artistic decisions were made during my absence, but I can tell you I will put a right stop to that nonsense.

Only straight and forward from here on out! I will pursue the true classical form as the Gods described it, in those myths handed down from the beginning of time itself!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, there will be columns.

However, one asterisk to this whole plan is the need for the arena to be occasionally filled with seawater, and then drained, while also capturing any deployed water beasties and not drowing them. This element may be unattainable without cooperation with successors.

We now have a library, home to an odd assortment of useless trivia journals and strange diatribes. One particular book, a poorly written tourism advert for a nearby town named Thundersnuggled, has sent shockwaves through the local readership, and even impacted some dwarves in a deeply emotional way. Dast is not a happy individual, I can't imagine why:

One admirable feature I would like to detail is the completely saferoom / dining room. At first, I was concerned the room was too far from the food stockpiles, but when I realized this room was literally airtight, I was quite pleased with the whole idea.

I might add some emergency stocks, above or below. If it's true what the travelers are saying, many thousands of trained flying devil-birds may descend upon our fisherman's paradise at any moment.

I occasionally remind myself of the wealth of this land. Almost endless iron desposits, and magma only a hop-skip-jump away from the stairwell. Something recently set the cavern moss aflame, perhaps an Imp, or something else. Concerning.

EDIT: oh lord the menagerie has arrived, 5 days later... call the AQUA GUARD!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:14:55 am by Salmeuk »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2021, 04:56:34 pm »

The war kiwi Stalu has come! A small, brown, flightless bird. It eats insects and grubs and is known for its keen sense of smell. It's feathers are brown. It's small, beady eyes are black. Now you will know why you fear the Witch of Anger!

I'm guessing that that other siege reported that we were no threat, so they sent a more cost-effective force consisting of tiny flightless birds and slightly overgrown housecats to deal with us. Can't blame them, I imagine Roc flight time is expensive what with maintenance and refueling and occasionally eating the pilot.

It's going to be really embarrassing if we die to this.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:03 pm »

Wow, I forgot kiwis were even in the game.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2021, 01:36:46 am »

Oh shit guys I guess the fort is fucked because they brought the WAR KIWI the most fearsome bird god ever created.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2021, 08:13:15 pm »

a fragment of the story of Fishheads, as overheard in a dirty, unnamed tavern some years later. .

Their cavalry arrived quietly, riding a mixture of Giant Kingsnakes, Giant Kiwis, and Giant Monitor Lizards, and as they approached our gate they rustled up a wild tiger from the underbrush, who must have itself been waiting in ambush for one of our haulers. Unbelieveably, the tiger ran straight into our final empty cage trap (the remaining cages were occupied by some very hungry looking crabs)! So, good news, we have captured a tiger. . .

I asked Zultan of the condition of our premiere fighting squad, the Aqua Guard. He said, "We have two legendarys already!" Incredulous, I questioned him further, only to discover the 'legendary' were in fact legendary poets, not fighters. We would have to hold off on direct confrontation. The total enemy force was about 3 dozen strong, all riding on mounts and flanked by two squadrons of War Lynx.

Their archers had no interest in us peering at them from the top of Imic's Wall, as we've come to call it, and so I believe this to be merely a party of scouts. It is truly impressive how those goblins stay balanced on top of the kingsnakes as they writhe about the jungle ferns.

All that being said, the goblins and their mounts would make great training fodder for my yet-to-be-constructed coliseum. I recall in my youth I visited a fortress in far away lands. The fortress was defended by a large, spiraling labyrinth dug just underneath the surface. Invaders were forced into devious traps and tight, inescapable drowning chambers. I recall too that this labyrinthine fortress suffered from a periodic weather phenomenon that drowned the landscape in a sticky purple goo, which caused debilitating mental fatigue in anyone it touched. Perhaps this memory was just some youthful dream, or a story I had heard and misremembered, but something tells me that we could make the maze of traps a reality.

---

Our saferoom is very nice and safe, and is pretty much perfect in all regards, excluding one small issue I originally overlooked: it is full of bees.

---
One of the previous overseers took the time to build a series of iron statues, which detail a number of varied people and events. I took the time to catalogue them for your persusal:

I am deeply curious as to the life of this elf called 'Masterwave':
Some artwork of some other artwork:
Some local history, forever enshrined:

A donkey:

And finally, a truly inexplicable piece:

---

A gremlin was spotted in the caverns, but ran away before we could bag it. I make a note to future overseers, take care putting important levers in the depths.

---

This is what 102 dwarves look like piling into the saferoom:

It's as tight as a tuna can in there, and it smells like one too. . . the smell really never leaves you here at Fishheads.

---

The masonry was reconfigured:
While I would like to use the wonderful built-in mason shops up at the dock, I find that when efficiency is called for, placing the stockpiles closer to the quarry does wonders for production. The dwarves will work in the red sand.

---

A month passes with no particular events. The invading riders have chosen to camp at our southeastern wall, and seem to be living off the giant horseshoe crabs that swim out of the water on a nightly basis.

Then, in the distance . . .*stomp* *STOMP *STOMP*

Chaos ensues

OOC:
so, at this point, why even bother building a coliseum lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:24:56 pm by Salmeuk »

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2021, 12:45:19 pm »

Amazing coincidence.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2021, 06:53:53 pm »

brilliant, a siege, sardine canned dwarves and then a bronze colossus. I don't know whether to pity or envy you salmeu

and nice shoutout to smallhands in there. Thanks for reminding me about designing a drowning chamber in smallhands at some point x3
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:21 pm »

Perhaps this memory was just some youthful dream, or a story I had heard and misremembered, but something tells me that we could make the maze of traps a reality.
Personally, I really like the idea of a trap maze with retracting floors that simply dumps them in the open ocean too far away from shore to swim back. Sacrifice the goblin hordes to the ocean for good weather and biting fish!

Our saferoom is very nice and safe, and is pretty much perfect in all regards, excluding one small issue I originally overlooked: it is full of bees.
I applaud the willpower it must have taken for you not to make the obvious Nicolas Cage joke here.

Then, in the distance . . .*stomp* *STOMP *STOMP*
Kiwi birds and snakes vs the dwarven equivalent of a Gundam. Place your bets now!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2021, 03:42:17 am »

This siege keeps getting better worse and better worse.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17