Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can Anything Be Done About the Thieving Problem?  (Read 3529 times)

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Anything Be Done About the Thieving Problem?
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:41:40 am »

I'd like to start another DF playthrough on the current build but it seems that the criminal underworld is unfinished and unbalanced leading to some pretty annoying issues with repeated theft attempts.  I really don't want to deal with this at all.  Can anything be done about this currently?  Any variable buried somewhere I can tweak to reduce or even stop it from happening?  Anything that can be removed from the un-compiled files to accomplish the same?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anything Be Done About the Thieving Problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:08:01 pm »

I've just been executing the visitors that corrupt my dwarves. I've only had 2 so far in my current fort, but it might vary per world.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:13:26 pm »

I think for the most part if you just don't allow visitors in your meeting areas you won't have problems with this.  Just set all of your taverns, temples, libraries, museums, guildhalls, and meeting areas to allow only citizens and long term residents (or members only for guildhalls).  You lose out on some positive visitors, but the upside to visitors is really minor other than if you just like the fun and variety they create.  But some of that variety is thieves.  So you can just not have visitors.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 08:13:29 pm »

For a different approach, you can change the ethics of dwarves to not care about theft. Doing that actually works (murder too), Captain of the guard will go about his day and no-one will report all the attempted thefts. Much more peaceful.

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 09:25:10 am »

Well, thats just the thing.  I really like visitors from a gameplay standpoint even if they don't add much.  Having a bunch of visitors is a lot of fun.  I just don't want them frequently turning my dwarves into thieves.  Bumber, you said you just execute them, have you had any negative consequences yet?  Seems like that could cause a civil war or something.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:55:12 pm »

Bumber, you said you just execute them, have you had any negative consequences yet?  Seems like that could cause a civil war or something.

I convict the visitor for the espionage, then have a single military dwarf visit them in their cell. You could also flood the room, though that won't work on intelligent undead or vampires unless you use magma. (FB syndromes also won't kill undead, even though they suffer the usual wounds.) Maybe you could atomsmash them when they step into a tile next to their chain, but I'm not sure what that will do to the chain itself.

If you just leave the visitor locked in their cell without killing them, the corrupted dwarf will continue to steal.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:01:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 07:59:30 am »

So far I haven't seen a single positive visitor since updating to .47.05. Every single one of the several dozen visitors has been an intrigue actor of one sort or another. After few years I just started sending the militia to greet those painfully obvious infiltrators as soon as they appear. No ill effects whatsoever.

I'm starting to think visitors are currently broken in .47.05.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 04:33:58 pm »

I've been getting plenty of scholars that eventually join my fort, so it doesn't seem to be outright broken.

Might have something to do with the number of necromancers in your world. Mine had two towers with <10 populations each. Wiped out one of them via raid and the espionage crime attributed to "Somebody" disappeared. Guess I wiped out that entire organization.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 04:47:48 pm »

So far I haven't seen a single positive visitor since updating to .47.05. Every single one of the several dozen visitors has been an intrigue actor of one sort or another. After few years I just started sending the militia to greet those painfully obvious infiltrators as soon as they appear. No ill effects whatsoever.

I'm starting to think visitors are currently broken in .47.05.
Not finding this in my fortress. Tons of regular visitors in my taverns. Don't assume what happens in one single fortress is any indicator of a "broken" game.

Mercenaries seem to be incredibly rare though. 4 in the past 10 years in this fortress, none in the previous one.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 05:19:00 pm »

Don't assume what happens in one single fortress is any indicator of a "broken" game.
You're right, but this is from three different fortresses and over ten years of game time. Maybe my favored worldgen settings just happen to produce loads of intrigue and no mercs or artists?

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 05:26:37 pm »

Don't assume what happens in one single fortress is any indicator of a "broken" game.
You're right, but this is from three different fortresses and over ten years of game time. Maybe my favored worldgen settings just happen to produce loads of intrigue and no mercs or artists?
Maybe. Do you have a library, tavern and temples open to the public?

Mercs seem in very short supply, often I get none at all, despite the large number of active mercs in most of my worlds. Entertainers plus temple and library visitors I have tons of.

Check how many active performance troupes are wandering your world in Legends Viewer, that might indicate if your world is in short supply generally.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 05:45:50 pm »

Maybe. Do you have a library, tavern and temples open to the public?

Mercs seem in very short supply, often I get none at all, despite the large number of active mercs in most of my worlds. Entertainers plus temple and library visitors I have tons of.

Check how many active performance troupes are wandering your world in Legends Viewer, that might indicate if your world is in short supply generally.
In this current world there are 151 performance troupes and 44 mercenary orders in a medium-sized world, should be enough to see at least one visitor from them over several game years.
On the other hand there are 2039 bandit gangs, 67 outcast collectives and 22 necromancer groups; that might explain the unending conga line of infiltrators knocking at my tavern door.
So maybe I should tweak my worldgen settings somewhat to get more sensible numbers.

As always, I have separate visitor taverns and temples open to attract visitors. I could maybe bump up my visitor limit a bit (from 20) but I'm afraid it would only mean more undead criminals trying to poorly impersonate performers.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 06:01:21 pm »

Yeah, over at this thread, it was reported that too many bandit gangs were preventing mercenaries, might be related. Personally I didn't find any difference removing banditry from the game, but I play with a crowded worldgen, prioritising histfig numbers over worldgen speed. Might make a difference.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:06:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 02:16:13 am »

Oh is THAT why I get plenty of monster hunters and the occasional performer, but never a mercenary turn up? I miss having mercenaries.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 03:27:04 am »

Oh is THAT why I get plenty of monster hunters and the occasional performer, but never a mercenary turn up? I miss having mercenaries.
Well, I think the exact reason is up in the air.
One thing is that many (and now perhaps all) mercenaries are attracted to danger, in the same way migrants become hesitant to come to your fortress because of the danger.

It may be coincidence, but in my current fortress they only started turning up after my reputation for Fun became known (a large migrant wave appeared next to an invading army I was turtling from with unpleasant results).

Still, even then, not many.
Pages: [1] 2