Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HELP! i messed up my game  (Read 3241 times)

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HELP! i messed up my game
« on: March 09, 2021, 05:21:49 pm »

in one of the game files (i don't remember which and can't find it) i changed the topple (or was it bash?) interaction damage to be less in an attempt to get building destroyers to destroy buildings slower.

Now building destroyers in my game are unable to destroy buildings at all. This has reduced the amount of FUN considerably.

i know it is this variable that's causing it because even procedurally generated creatures can't destroy buildings and it's messing with their pathing.

I tried looking through all raws, interactions, and init files that were recently changed but i can't seem to find the original thing i changed.

much appreciated if anyone can tell me where i have to find the variables i have to change to reverse this. My save is not compressed so i can also copy the changes into my save file to salvage my current world.

"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! i messed up my game
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:35:39 pm »

Did you try changing the raws in the save directory or only the main raw folder? the game saves a copy of the used raws along with each save game to reproduce the starting condition. But even when changing the raws it might be that the setting only affects newly created entities/monsters. Already existing ones might still be screwed up. If so, use DFHACK to teleport them into magma :D
I would recommend winmerge and compare your save's raw folder with a fresh install to see the differences and revert the needed ones back.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:34:32 am »

hey, thanks for the reply

it isn't overwriting my save file that's the problem. It's that i can't find what i changed in order to change it back. I only remember it was either a destroy building interaction or building HP itself. it appeared to be a global value so i think it would apply to existing entities if i could only find it.

asking here in case anyone else was also looking through the raws in details and came upon the variable themselves so i know where to look for it
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 07:34:56 am »

Not sure it this would work for you, but if it was me, I would try using my computer to search (within files) for a key word in the DF folder raws (or other appropriate) subfolder.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:24:15 am »

i tried that using Notepad++'s search within directory function and it didn't turn up anything i tried.

as an update, today ogres during an invasion did end up destroying 1 door and hatch, and a tantruming dwarf managed to topple 2 workshops and a lever. (in a previous fortress in the same world i've never seen anything toppled).

all of these events showed in announcements such as "building was destroyed/toppled". but i remember in previous versions the object would simply become worn until it was completely destroyed.

was the building destroyer system changed perhaps? i only thought it wasnt working because the furniture wasn't being worn out like in previous versions. have to investigate more by looking into forgotten beast data in my save, because right now i'm trapping them with doors alone, maybe they're able to destroy buildings but just don't do it?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 01:41:36 pm »

WinMerge source code comparison tool lets you easily see what has been changed
in a thousand files: https://winmerge.org/screenshots/?lang=en
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »

WinMerge source code comparison tool lets you easily see what has been changed
in a thousand files: https://winmerge.org/screenshots/?lang=en

Wow, this is a great tool.  It will make updating my personal preferences in the init files so much easier whenever I upgrade or try a mod. Thanks TomiTapio!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

5sanon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • be kobold do crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 03:24:59 pm »

reinstall and copy the save files and raws that you want to keep to it?
She personally does not respect the law, has great respect for fairness, finds the following of tradition foolish and limiting and believes that freedom and independence are completely non-negotiable and would fight to defend them.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 05:37:38 pm »

can someone tell me if the building destroyer functionality was changed from previous versions?

does it still wear out built furniture until they're destroyed, or does it work differently now and show destroyed buildings in announcements?

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 05:00:56 pm »

I'm running 47.05 with completely vanilla raws and I'm able to trap both FBs and werebeasts using simple locked doors. It was like that in 47.04 too. Most building destroyers are completely broken and won't target any buildings.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 02:17:45 pm »

I'm running 47.05 with completely vanilla raws and I'm able to trap both FBs and werebeasts using simple locked doors. It was like that in 47.04 too. Most building destroyers are completely broken and won't target any buildings.

thanks for the reply. can anyone else confirm this is the case as of right now?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 03:12:27 pm »

My history doesn't go back many versions (to 44.12 iirc), but in 47.05 there have been many trolls destroying doors.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 01:25:46 pm »

As far as I can tell building destroyers which come as part of a siege have different AI to "natural" building destroyers such as yeti, werebeasts and forgotten beasts. The siege AI works as intended but the others don't.
It should be easy enough for anyone to verify. Just build a pathway from the caverns to your fort with two doors along its length. When something nasty appears, wait for it to be between the doors and then lock them both. In my experience this is sufficient to trap almost any creature indefinitely. I kept a titan trapped between a pair of glass doors for at least a month while I extended my main trap system by digging a shaft up to the surface, installed a bridge, and linked it up to a lever. A pair of doors with cage traps in between is also my main defence against werebeasts. Just lock the doors and wait for them to turn back into their regular form, at which point they'll be caught by the traps.

Personally I'd like it if someone else could confirm this behaviour too. I assumed it was common knowledge, but I can't find anything about it on the bug tracker or wiki.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 06:07:54 pm »

My history doesn't go back many versions (to 44.12 iirc), but in 47.05 there have been many trolls destroying doors.

were those trolls a part of a siege?

can anyone else confirm building destroyers which didn't come as part of a siege, aren't functioning properly.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 08:29:37 pm »

Yes, they were part of a siege. When you asked the question, I didn't realize it wasn't pertaining to besiegers.
Pages: [1] 2