Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: OOC - Fear No Gods | A Low Fantasy Succession Game  (Read 3369 times)

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OOC - Fear No Gods | A Low Fantasy Succession Game
« on: February 17, 2021, 05:15:19 pm »

IC Thread

Fear No Gods | A Low Fantasy Succession Game

Hello everyone ! As I was roaming in the alternatehistory games subforum, I discovered the awesome concept of succession games, which I think might very well interest you.

To be clear, this thread is for rules, claiming and general discussion around the game. IC thread is for Game Master and players' posts, plus for votes if needed.

The principles

You most probably know the bloodline games in Dwarf Fortress. This is a bit like this. The GM will give context, and issues, and players, one each turn, will describe the ruler, his personality and his goals to solve these issues. You will understand what I mean in the character sheet. For each rule, I will roll dices (mostly D100) to know how successful a reign is, how long it last, how many children and so on. The game end if you lost all control over your lands (becoming a tributary, being on losing side of civil war / rebellion, or end of dynasty are not game ending, being conquered and absorbed is).

To have a chance to give a ruler in the game, the players need to claim a place in the queue. Thus, when your turn is on, I'll give you a few days to post your own ruler sheet. I will give probably give a week two weeks to respond, so the game is not stuck by an inactive player.
For those who are waiting, I will sometimes give polls for events.

Claims

Players can claim whenever they want by a post in the OOC. The order for the first 5 or 10 (depending of how many claims in the first days) will be randomized, next will be first come, first serve. Once the claim list is done, we get back to the beginning.

Votes

Sometimes, votes will happen at the end of a post to create an event for the game. Everyone can vote, players and non-players. You can vote in IC thread.

The character

You are quite free to tailor your ruler, aside from some restrictions that I will specify at the end of a post. More generally speaking, please stay consistent with what happened with previous rulers. Also try to not make perfect characters and rulers, those are not the best material to create good stories.

RP points

If you want to create some roleplay texts and articles, to flesh the lore and the world of the game, you can post them in the IC thread. The lore created need to be about the past or present, and in coherence with other lore and events in the game. Though you don't need to be a player to post lore texts, you need to be a player in the queue if you want to get RP points from it. One point is granted per RP text, with one RP point giving you a +5 to a roll of your choice (for a goal, longevity, effectivness...). You can only stack up to 5 RP points, and use up to 5 RP points for your character.

The character sheet

Avatar : (Optional. A picture found on Internet, with coherence towards the era of the character)
Name :
Age when becoming leader :
Religion : (Old Ways / Ancestors Worship in the beginning of the game, might be way more important when religions arise)
Leadership Style :
Leader Personality :
Biography : (Explain your character's background, occupations, rise to power and beliefs)
Goals : (What your character wants to achieve during his time as ruler. Better deal with the most pressing issues. Can also be more personal and minor goals. Please try to restrain between 3 and 6 goals per character)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 01:46:01 pm by Ixarys »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: OOC - Fear No Gods | A Low Fantasy Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:38:02 pm »

Iiiiinteresting.

I'll toss my hat into the ring for a claim spot in the queue. Is the "avatar" part of the sheet a picture of the character?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:07:09 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:11 pm »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:22 pm »

Iiiiinteresting.

I'll toss my hat into the ring for a spot in the queue. Is the "avatar" part of the sheet a picture of the character?
I also wondered this. I'm interested in the concept but I don't do pictures.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 05:51:44 pm »

This sounds like a really cool concept, I'm excited to see how this'll turn out. I'll PTW for now.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:29 pm »

Iiiiinteresting.

I'll toss my hat into the ring for a spot in the queue. Is the "avatar" part of the sheet a picture of the character?

Indeed, this is just a picture found on Internet, no drawing skills required !

Just for sake of clarity, what means PTW ? Just a « will follow » or a claim for the game ?

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 05:57:40 pm »

Posting to Watch. It's so that people can keep track of the thread easier, now that they've posted in it.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 05:59:36 pm »

Ok thank you !

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 06:35:32 pm »

I'll bite.

Name : Angus Starseeker
Age when becoming leader : 18
Religion : Ancestor Worship (for now, see Goals)
Leadership Style : Diplomatic
Leader Personality : Non-violent.  Grandiose but manipulative.
Biography : Followed the Polaris star to the tribe's new home.  Claims the Polaris star is a god that speaks to him.
Goals : 1. Merge lineages with predecessor non-violently.  Take eldest sister as a wife.   Claim their wedding night as "Night of Unification," accepting as a "wedding gift," all other sister as concubines and adopting the young brother.
2. Promote the Cult of Polaris.  Establish the Starseekers as Speakers of Polaris, with appropriate Divine mandate.
3. Cultivate new fields and orchards.
4. Divy lands into vassalage/patronage system, ensuring the loyalty of the various minor chieftains.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 06:55:06 pm »

-sheet-
Wait until your spot in the queue comes up, alright? What we want to do is likely to vary based on what's happening when our turn starts.

(Also, Ixarys, so we're clear, I'm in the claim queue.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:16:24 pm »

Yep, just wanted to get a baseline down.  Will edit as appropriate.

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 02:21:48 am »

-sheet-
Wait until your spot in the queue comes up, alright? What we want to do is likely to vary based on what's happening when our turn starts.

Yes indeed, I’ll put ConscriptFive in the list, but if he is not the first to play he will needed to adapt his character accordingly to the previous one.

The avatar part seems to give you all more troubles than expected, I can make it optional if you want.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 03:09:58 am »

Interested
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Sketchykeeps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 09:12:29 am »

Just going to claim a spot in the line

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile