Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1 - Bloodless Town Victory  (Read 19319 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2021, 12:12:24 pm »

Egan_BW: It is in the nature of these games to be twisty affairs. We all wear masks of deception, some more than others. It can be a trying situation for many. To what extent can we truly trust our reads of players during the ‘Day’ phase?

Aww, I don't get a nya? :c

I'm not so great at reading people generally, and I consider doing so to be made a lot more difficult than in person by this medium. While I might try my best to keep track of my reads on people, it's probably for the best if I keep an open mind and consider if my previous reads could have been wrong as the game progresses.

Honestly, I prefer reviewing the more mechanical hard facts before considering more social stuff. Which is probably why I don't play Mafia so often!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2021, 12:18:48 pm »

webadict. Your username is putrid and I refuse to attempt to engage with your nonsense.
I didn't even get a question!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2021, 12:19:39 pm »

Nirur Torir, what is sanity?
One must experience sanity for oneself, it cannot be described. For you, I'd suggest aiming for a sanity variable wrap-around and pulling an all-nighter to twelve hours of Carameldansen before drafting a set of high powered BYOR roles.

Nirur Torir: Have you pondered the rate of our deaths? There are many different ways for a player in this game to die. An Assassin could have started the game with the ability to poison, for simply one example. Should we expect the death rate to snowball beyond our control in time?
Yes. We'll all die, and I don't remember seeing a lot of protects. I was going to track who claims abilities from roles with level 4 and 5 kills, but after a re-read, that's most of the roles, so I don't think I will.

TricMagic: Should I try to mug the GM and steal some of his analysis techniques?
Toony: You claim that you've almost never been voted D1 as scum, but you've been voted here. Since you've been double voted now, are you double confirmed as town?
Caz: How does Wuba not asking you an RVS question in public make you feel?
FallacyofUrist: How do you plan to make up for your lack of fries this game?
Vector: Imagine if you and Wuba were the scum team. How would town survive?
LuckyOwl: What have you learned from your recent mafia games, and how will it change your playstyle from BYOR 15?
Secretdorf: What's the dorfiest profession in this game?
mightymushroom: Hi, I don't know you. What's your general strategy for this game, and how do you plan to go about it?
Juicebox: I think it would be fun to have you as a D1 lynch target, to keep you from being inactive, one way or another. How does that make you feel?
Egan BW: Why aren't you voting for the people RVS lulz team you've found?
  Pre-post edit: There's not a lot of investigation powers. Which hard facts other than investigative powers do you plan to pursue?
Nirur Torir: How are you so cool?
Webadict: Did you put your RVS question to Caz in the wrong chat? I don't see it.
Jim Groovester: I didn't think you'd play again after the BYOR 15 effort thing. What's your game plan to win while avoiding burning out here?
Toaster: Who would you rather have on the scum team, Wuba or Vector?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »

Vector, you weren't talking in Mafiachat much, what's our plan?

eat the scum :D

FallacyofUrist, you rolled scum AGAIN? Shame on you!

I'm going to --> hunt the scum --> probably find at least one

One must experience sanity for oneself, it cannot be described. For you, I'd suggest aiming for a sanity variable wrap-around and pulling an all-nighter to twelve hours of Carameldansen before drafting a set of high powered BYOR roles.

Vector: Imagine if you and Wuba were the scum team. How would town survive?

Vote us -> eliminate us

Orrrr maybe, distancing argument for cred gets nasty and turns into a bus? IDK, we've never been scum together.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2021, 12:37:39 pm »

The sad part is that this is eerily close to how I already make BYOR roles...

Webadict: Did you put your RVS question to Caz in the wrong chat? I don't see it.
Caz KNOWS what their question is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2021, 12:55:27 pm »

Egan BW: Why aren't you voting for the people RVS lulz team you've found?
  Pre-post edit: There's not a lot of investigation powers. Which hard facts other than investigative powers do you plan to pursue?

Come on, you can't expect me to answer two questions, this is unfair treatment. :(

I didn't vote for them because they're very scary and would probably beat me up and take my lunch money if I voted for them. If I had to pick the one who's least scary, I guess it would be Toonyman? Sorry don't hurt me, Nirur implied that I should and I am but a slave to authority. D:

As for question two, there's not much, but at least we know how many scum there are and there are no false flips, so we can use that to temper our judgement.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2021, 01:01:15 pm »

Ok, Egan_BW, I actually do think you're on the scumteam. Not voting people 'cuz they're scary is a classic inexperienced scum thing.

Third vote on the bandwagon? I'm shaking my head.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2021, 01:18:52 pm »

Ok, Egan_BW, I actually do think you're on the scumteam. Not voting people 'cuz they're scary is a classic inexperienced scum thing.

Third vote on the bandwagon? I'm shaking my head.
Really? You think Egan is scum? Not seeing it, but I do see youoverexplaining that vote you got there, Vecky.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2021, 02:17:29 pm »

I see that we've both been influenced by our time abroad :V The explanation is to help you see it, Wubsy ;3

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2021, 02:33:18 pm »

Okay first of all, Webadict. That first post was made to confuse, your vote was made to confuse, and your username apparently confuses Fallacy.(Why that is I don't know.)

I will answer questions though. You shouldn't vote yourself webadict, not unless it will catch scum.

To Fal. Luckyowl and Falacy. Baffle them with streamers and nyan.

To TM(not me the other TM), bit harsh to claim us as the lower players. Who do you think should die first for the Greater Good of town?(the answer isn't the bad players it's the scummy ones.)

To lunch. Just a few toasted turkey sandwiches, but it counts.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 02:37:28 pm »

Webadict: I'm going to say your question is best answered by asking questions of my own.

Toonyman, I have two games on this subforum. I ... would not rate my own performance highly. Honestly,
*deep breath*
I'm naturally an introvert and simply joining up for this socially aggressive exercise was quite the challenge. Kind of a low bar, I know. I have been watching games during the interim since I last played; I've convinced myself that I've absorbed a better sense of how to read town from scum but whether I can put it into practice is a question I won't be able to answer until we're done here.

FallacyofUrist: Yes, though reserving skepticism regarding any one instance of magic. Are you willing to lend some of your inner voices to someone who has difficulty formulating RVS questions?

Nirur Torir: As mentioned, I'm rarely one to put initiate contact out without some provocation; my strategy will be to read things closely, ask questions where I seek clarification, and hopefully I'll have an aha moment. Even better would be to create an aha moment. My biggest regret from my first game was spotting a chance to test/challenge what turned out to be a scum fakeclaim and dithering until it was too late. I (should have) learned from that not to count on other town to do my work for me.

Oh and Nirur Torir,
there are not a ton of investigation abilities on the list, but their presence in the game is determined randomly at start and later by choice. How do you know how many are not out there? Don't you think town should pursue them?

Secretdorf, ToonyMan: Do you think parakeetkin should be forthcoming with what goes on in their quicktopic?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2021, 02:39:43 pm »

Grrr, EBWOP

I'm rarely one to put initiate contact out without some provocation

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2021, 03:03:06 pm »

Oh and Nirur Torir,
there are not a ton of investigation abilities on the list, but their presence in the game is determined randomly at start and later by choice. How do you know how many are not out there? Don't you think town should pursue them?
I don't know how many started with them, of course.
I don't see the point in most of the investigates, other than truth verification. The good ones I see are Spy 2(Track), Surveyor 4(Watch), and Surveyor 5 (50% of actions tonight are public).
They're worth it, especially if Surveyor 5 uncovers the mafia kill. But they won't win the game, and so a strong day game, and doing more than relying on investigates, remains important.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2021, 03:04:11 pm »

FoU

Caz: How powerful is lurking, for the mafia?

In this particular game? The role craziness would make it difficult to figure out who's mafia mechanically.  Lurking can work but it can also put a target on you. Tbh you are better off just playing the game imo. With everyone having abilities any lurker is going to get checked. And you are better off actually being able to influence the lynch, which is easy to do if you have 3 people who know each other. So I don't think it offers many advantages (compared to a smaller game with less PRs)

Toony

What if I said I was poisoned? Was it you? Would town use poison?

I'd use poison if I was reasonably sure I was targetting mafia, yeah.

I just realized I lied so I'm going to correct that.

omg, lynch now!!1 death to the budgies

webadict

Caz.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nirur

Currently listening to this on youtube now. It makes me want to vote you in revenge.

Dance to the beat wave your hands together
Come feel the heat forever and forever
Listen and learn it is time for prancing
Now we are here with Caramelldansen

O-o-o-oa-oa
O-o-o-oa-oa-a...

Caz: How does Wuba not asking you an RVS question in public make you feel?

Uplifted and enraged, like an angry soap bubble.

RQSing everyone because I'm copying what everyone else is doing so that I look proper towny. Is it working guys. Guys?

TricMagic: If you knew that mightymushroom was scum, would you reveal this information?
Toony: If you could choose between a block and an inspect, which would you use and why?
Caz: Why haven't you written that essay yet?
FallacyofUrist: If you could choose between an inspect and a block, which would you use and why?
Vector: Do you think mechanics will be key in figuring out who is scum this game?
LuckyOwl: Would you use the ability to randomise on someone you thought was town?
Secretdorf: Do you think the scum will avoid talking to each other this game or purposefully get into a fight?
mightymushroom: As a sinister fungus, will you bus a team mate this game?
Juicebox: Is lurking going to be your main strategy this game?
Egan BW: Why should town keep you around if you're just going to follow scum's first bandwagon?
Nirur Torir: Do you really listen to that acoustic torture?
Webadict: Do you think LuckyOwl is scum?
Jim Groovester: Should you claim if your lover is about to be lynched?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2021, 03:15:16 pm »

Nirur Torir: Do you really listen to that acoustic torture?
Only rarely, but I'd like to point out that you're the one who typed out translated lyrics when I casually mentioned it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21