Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Swallowed Whole  (Read 2771 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Swallowed Whole
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 05:06:27 am »

adventurer necromancer control a zombie sperm whale from inside of it?
You strap a couple of siege weapons to it and you've got the makings of a living mech.
Yeah and since its dead already, nothing's stopping you from digging through its body to make tunnels, rooms and entrances in it's body.

Speaking of digging.
Even taking into account the stupid argument of "Screw reality, this is a game/it's fantasy", DF does simulate tissues does it not? You wouldn't just have to dig through the stomach, but all then also all the muscles and fat too. If and when this is implemented, if the game will do the bare minimum of simulating the lack of oxygen, you probably wont have enough time. Here's another fun thing: internal bleeding. there's an opportunity there to quite literally drown in blood. The dragon that ate you may or may not die as a result of said internal bleeding afterwards, depending on how much damage you managed to do before dying to asphyxiation.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 10:56:12 am »

Could we use this on plants, to implement carnivorous plants? For exemple, we could have a plant which could attract vermin in a container and then digest it.
[flashbacks to the terrifying instakill carnivorous plants in Spelunky]

Speaking of digging.
Even taking into account the stupid argument of "Screw reality, this is a game/it's fantasy", DF does simulate tissues does it not? You wouldn't just have to dig through the stomach, but all then also all the muscles and fat too. If and when this is implemented, if the game will do the bare minimum of simulating the lack of oxygen, you probably wont have enough time. Here's another fun thing: internal bleeding. there's an opportunity there to quite literally drown in blood. The dragon that ate you may or may not die as a result of said internal bleeding afterwards, depending on how much damage you managed to do before dying to asphyxiation.

You're almost certainly not making it out without magic, I'd think. At best your companions could try to make the beast vomit. If you do have magic you'd either need something which lets you survive inside or something which would let you dead a huge amount of damage at once. Maybe a disintegration ray or a magic sword which just makes a huge bladebeam and cuts a way out in one swing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 01:27:30 pm »

Frankly, it takes a lot less effort to force the gag reflex than it does to carve your way out of a giant stomach.  If you start carving your initials into the stomach lining, the stomach is going to respond by ejecting you pretty fast.  (And the stomach, incidentally, has the ability to do this on its own with no word from the brain.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 04:31:52 pm »

Since we're talking giant sperm whales, I notice we're only inches away from the Pinocchio Method of Escaping Stomachs. Having a fire in there cannot be nice...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 03:27:38 am »

I just realized that the fear of being eaten whole must be the reason all those fantasy armours are covered in spikes.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 03:53:40 am »

I've been looking forward to Villains proper release when I can play a crime lord with an underground base and team of thugs to do my bidding.

Now what I really want is to be a vampire crime lord with a base in the belly of a giant whale.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]