Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Swallowed Whole  (Read 2776 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Swallowed Whole
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:51:26 am »

A bit of an out-there suggestion, but the idea of being swallowed whole and living to tell the story is a fairly common attribute of mythology, and swallowing prey alive is a typical behavior of some predators, so why not add it to the game's physics?

Swallowing another creature in combat is a wrestling attack performed with the mouth, and requires an organ with the [CONTAINS_FOOD] tag (i.e. the stomach).  It is limited by the size of the mouth and stomach of the eater and the body of the eaten.

When swallowed, a creature takes constant damage from stomach acid.  They can also attack the swallower's stomach from the inside.  Attacks to the stomach can also injure other organs contained in the same body part, potentially causing nausea and forcing the swallower to vomit them back up.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Swallowed Whole
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:57:03 am »

Taking this opportunity to plug a suggestion i previously made that also features a bit of this.

Innate containers and glands
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:23:03 pm »

So basically vore
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 05:56:51 pm »

So basically vore

Technically there's enough arguement in that alone to leave it ambigiously to keep a lid on this kind of stuff but not ruin the fun attack-events that come from it. Like managing to fall past a number of set stages of resistance (like dwarves struggling against aesophagus and mouth muscle contractions bearing down on armor) then simply dissapear becoming more and more likely the bigger the size difference is.

GCT's might accrue a reputation for being under-grown peasant worker gobblers, which im not sure eitherway toady might like the sound of players disposing of unwanted migrant baggage by being extraordinarily cruel. A very roguelike meta strategy out of all of this for adventure mode may be to bathe yourself in a reagent that causes vomiting when encountering giant cave-toads or other special varieties of monsters to prevent a potentially unlucky one-on-one game over.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 07:06:43 pm »

I'm pretty positive about this idea. Mythologically and in other fantasy, the precedent exists.

Grappling is already overpowered, so making it stronger isn't really that bad. Presumably being swolled won't be any worse than having all your nerves broken by being shaken around.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 02:02:11 am »

I think it's planned:
PowerGoal89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 06:47:59 am »

I think it's planned:
PowerGoal89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.
Nothing says epic story like being eaten by a dragon then waiting until it shits your battered and beaten body out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 01:38:11 pm »

Just saying, this is a definite thing in D&D.  In 3e, everyone should always carry a dagger because only small weapons can be used to dig your way out of a stomach like Men in Black.  (You don't have space to swing a halberd inside a stomach constricting you.)  Pathfinder even added enhancements to armor that just taste bad to make things that bite/try to swallow you whole have to pass a Fort check not to spit you back up.  (The T-Rex is probably one of the bigger meme monster/animals for swallow whole, by the way.  Every bite they make, they can grapple (latch on), and if it's still held on the next turn, swallow.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 04:19:41 pm »

I think it's planned:
Nothing says epic story like being eaten by a dragon then waiting until it shits your battered and beaten body out.

I think it would be, lmao.

If we're talking realistic, surviving that long would be a god-damned miracle.
There's a bunch of other things besides the acid that'd kill you. Chief among them suffocation(as mentioned in my thread) if you even make it down to the stomach alive in the first place. I dunno how much time you'd have, but it'd probably not be much.

You are just as likely to be crushed beforehand, especially if it's instead a giant bird that swallowed you.

Even if you do make it to the intestine, there you have the lack of air in addition to extreme heat+a long way down. You might actually dehydrate before reaching the vent alive :P.

Being spit or vomited back out is a more likely way of escaping, but not by much.
But yeah, if you hand-wave all those things, it would certainly not be much of an epic story anymore, if you can just defeat the one remaining danger with a small enchanted trinket, which is laughable in and of itself.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 04:41:19 pm »

This is especially relevant to blob type FBs. Right now they just push you but it would make more sense that they would be engulfing things.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 06:25:31 pm »

And giant zombie sperm whales.
You should be able to cut your way out of them, even if it doesn't make "realistic" sense,  it's a very evocative fantasy scenario.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:45 pm »

You should be able to cut your way out of them, even if it doesn't make "realistic" sense,  it's a very evocative fantasy scenario.

Its very likely there could be more creatures inside the whale that have already perished and reanimated, so it would be less than the simple task you've put out if nothing else is operational. Probably simpler to land in a drop in the ocean and let a sea monster take you instead.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 09:02:22 pm »

Its very likely there could be more creatures inside the whale that have already perished and reanimated, so it would be less than the simple task you've put out if nothing else is operational.
Exactly, so it would be an actual part of the game, not just a one-time combat reaction. And that leads us to the obvious question, can an adventurer necromancer control a zombie sperm whale from inside of it?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 02:05:46 am »

adventurer necromancer control a zombie sperm whale from inside of it?
You strap a couple of siege weapons to it and you've got the makings of a living mech.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 04:34:25 am »

Could we use this on plants, to implement carnivorous plants? For exemple, we could have a plant which could attract vermin in a container and then digest it.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."
Pages: [1] 2