Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A House of Knives [8/16]  (Read 2000 times)

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
A House of Knives [8/16]
« on: February 06, 2021, 07:15:45 pm »

I know now...
What I didn't before...
There's money in these walls.

This is a forum game that's played on a different forum, though with activity on the forum dying I thought I'd bring the game here to scratch my itch for it.

This is a game of deductions much like forum mafia, though with the twist that everyone is on a team on their own. Every role is unique in that you can be sure that you are only one in play and each one comes with its strengths and weaknesses, and roles are not revealed on death under normal circumstances. There are three phases during each day; the challenge phase, the voting phase, and the dinner phase. The goal is to be the last player alive by any means possible.

Spoiler: Role List (click to show/hide)

Challenge Phase
Challenge phase lasts 48 hours or until all challenges have been submitted. Time may be extended at moderator's discretion, such as for challenges issued at the last minute. A challenge phase may be skipped by majority vote so long as no challenges have already been issued.

During the challenge phase, you may challenge a player to either a dance or a duel. You can be challenged any number of times during the challenge phase, but you may only issue one challenge yourself even if it is denied. The player you challenge may either accept or deny the challenge but if they do not respond by the end of the challenge phase, all challenges are automatically accepted. Each role has a different position on the dance/duel list and the highest role taking part in the challenge will win. An example post of a challenge might look like this...

Quote from: Bjornewolfe13
Prepare you fancy feet, you scounder!
/Challenge PirateLoreMaster to a dance!

Quote from: PirateLoreMaster
I suppose I have no choice...
/Accept Bjornewolfe13's dance

Alternatively...
I see what you're playing at, I won't give you the satisfaction of winning!
/Deny Bjornewolfe13's dance

You can also enter /No Challenge if you do not want to challenge anyone at all, however you cannot take this back once submitted. This does not, unfortunately, protect you from being challenged yourself. You may also offer to /Accept All and all challenges sent toward you will be autonomously accepted. This cannot be taken back either.

Spoiler: Duel List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dance List (click to show/hide)

Voting Phase
This phase lasts 24 hours and due to its nature, it cannot be skipped. Time can still be extended at the moderator's discretion.

During this phase, everyone votes for the player they would like to be executed. Only players who have lost either a dance or a duel are eligible to be executed. Whoever has the plurality of the votes is executed and removed from the game and in the event of a tie, the tiebreaker will be settled by RNG. Votes are sent in by PM and the targets of everyone's vote is not revealed. For every challenge you participated in, regardless of whether you won or lost, you will get your choice of gift during this phase. These are...

• Free Guess: You may only have one of these and it cannot be saved for later. Use this to PM the moderator during Dinner Phase to guess as to another player's role. If your guess is correct, their role is revealed publicly. If you do not use your free guess the round you acquired it, it will be lost.
  • Free Deny: You may use this to deny another player's challenge during the Challenge Phase. Each player starts with one of these and you may hold up to five.
  • Encore: You may use this to make a second challenge during the Challenge Phase. You must specify you are using an Encore during your challenge. You may hold up to three of these at a time.
  • Guess Immunity: This will render all guesses as to your role invalidated during the Dinner Phase, correct or not. You may only have one of these at a time and if you have one it will be used automatically during the Dinner Phase.
  • Premium Food: This food cannot be poisoned or altered with steroids. This can still be stolen from you via plate switching. You may only have one of these at a time and it is used automatically at the start of Dinner Phase.

Dinner Phase
This phase lasts 24 hours and due to its nature, it cannot be skipped. Time can still be extended at the moderator's discretion. At the end of the Dinner Phase, the Challenge Phase begins again.

During the evening, the sixteen of you will sit down and eat dinner. During this phase, you may swap your plate with any other player's which will be helpful as someone's plate might either be sedated or poisoned. Do this by typing /Swap with [Playername] in the public chat. The plates are swapped in a random order resolved at the end of the Dinner Phase. You may only swap your plate once per Dinner Phase. A typical plate swap might look like this...

I saw you participated in a lot of challenges today, chances are you got Premium Food.
/Swap Bjornewolfe13's plate

Also during the Dinner Phase, you may guess someone's role by PMing the moderator if you have a Free Guess gift. If your guess is correct, their role will be revealed publicly. If incorrect, it will be stated publicly that they are not that role. If you do not have a Free Guess or don't want to use it, you may instead do a Deathstake Guess - with this method, you are staking your life on the validity of your guess. If you are correct, their role will be revealed publicly and that player will die. If you are incorrect, it will be publicly stated that they are not that role and you will die in their place.

There are three ways to die during the Dinner Phase, poison, bullet to the head, or by fatal guess. Dying by fatal guess means someone correctly guessed your role and dying by poison means you were killed by the Butler. Dying by bullet to the head means that player was either killed by the fugitive or was the fugitive who was killed by the detective.

Note: Guessing must be done in PMs. DO NOT DO IT PUBLICLY!

Other Rules
  • Private Communication between players is perfectly acceptable, however I must be included in the PMs. You also cannot send PMs to dead players.
  • Editing posts is illegal. Don't do it or you will die.
  • As is quoting or pretending to quote mod messages. Quoting the rules is perfectly acceptable.

Player List...
  • A_Curious_Cat
  • Secretdorf
  • The Canadian kitten
  • a1s
  • ToonyMan
  • heydude6
  • notquitethere
  • Yellow Pixel
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 03:24:57 pm by Ddynamo »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [0/16]
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 09:47:08 pm »

I’m confused (I’ve also never played mafia, for that matter).

What’s the purpose of having lists for dances/duels?  Is it to control in which order people are allowed to issue challenges (I mean, the duels/dances are going to be decided by dice, so why does it matter what order they’re in.  Also what happens when it’s someone’s turn to issue a challenge and they never post?  Doesn’t that tie the whole game up?)

What’s the difference between a dance and a duel?  Are there any consequences for losing one?

How are roles assigned?  Do you PM the GM with whatever role you want?  What happens if two people request the same role?

Also the part about the challenge phase says that you can only issue one challenge, while elsewhere it says that isn’t the case.  Same thing for denials.  The part of the rules about challenges says one thing, but the other parts of the rules say something else.

Anyways, those are the questions that popped to the top of my head.  I might have other ones in the future...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:35:34 pm »

I’m confused (I’ve also never played mafia, for that matter).

What’s the purpose of having lists for dances/duels?  Is it to control in which order people are allowed to issue challenges (I mean, the duels/dances are going to be decided by dice, so why does it matter what order they’re in.  Also what happens when it’s someone’s turn to issue a challenge and they never post?  Doesn’t that tie the whole game up?)
  • Whether you win or lose and dance or duel isn't determined by dice roll; your position on the list is what matters. Barring roles that can interfere, a role higher on the list will always win against one that is lower. For example, the Detective is above the Fugitive on the duel list, so if there's a duel between them, the Detective would always win.
  • So long as it's the challenge phase, anyone can issue a challenge in any order. You don't even have to issue a challenge at all. With that in mind, not posting would just mean you don't issue anyone any challenges.

What’s the difference between a dance and a duel?  Are there any consequences for losing one?
  • There's functionally no difference between a dance and a duel, however some roles are better at one than the other. For example, the butler is second from the top on the dance list, but on the very bottom of the duel list.
  • The punishment for losing a dance or duel is that you're up for execution during the next Voting Phase. The incentive to participate in a challenge is receiving the gifts, but the ultimate purpose of them is to use them to help you with deducing the roles of your opponents when you guess them during the Dinner Phase.

How are roles assigned?  Do you PM the GM with whatever role you want?  What happens if two people request the same role?
  • Roles are assigned randomly.

Also the part about the challenge phase says that you can only issue one challenge, while elsewhere it says that isn’t the case.  Same thing for denials.  The part of the rules about challenges says one thing, but the other parts of the rules say something else.
  • You can normally only issue one challenge during the challenge phase unless you use an encore gift, in which case you can do two. However, you can be challenged by someone else any number of times.
  • Denials work a similar way. Everyone starts with one free deny at the start of the game and you can get more by redeeming the gifts you get at the end of the Challenge Phase. For every challenge you participated in the challenge phase, you get a gift of your choice which can include denies. You can hold a maximum of five denies, which means during any given Challenge Phase you could deny five challenges assuming you had enough.

Sorry if the rules are a bit complicated and I don't explain it well. I promise the rules make sense once you start.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:41:10 pm »

I have another question...

How do I sign up?

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 12:01:20 am »

I have another question...

How do I sign up?

Just make a post asking to join.
I'm not picky about the wording.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 12:49:53 am »

I’d like to join, then.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [1/16]
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 01:51:40 am »

This looks interesting. Sign me up please.

How many players are needed for the game to start?

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [1/16]
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 10:10:20 am »

This looks interesting. Sign me up please.

How many players are needed for the game to start?
Twelve at the very minimum, I suppose. Sixteen is preferred, however.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [2/16]
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 11:50:57 am »

I'll like to join as well.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [3/16]
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 08:01:56 am »

I'll play
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 08:14:50 am »

What if this was in mafia board or you could tell players there about it?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 09:13:56 am »

In.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 10:18:40 am »

What if this was in mafia board or you could tell players there about it?
Looking at the games played on there, they do seem to be flexible on the rules of mafia. Still, I think having no teams at all might be a step too different.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:02:56 pm by Ddynamo »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [5/16]
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 03:02:32 pm »

What exactly is the win condition? Be the last team standing?

In btw

EDIT: I see it now, but you should bold "Be the last player alive by any means necessary"

It's easy to miss as is.

NotherEDIT:

Wait a minute. Does this mean that if your team survives, you have turn against them and take out your teamates?

Are votes public or by PM?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:06:20 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: A House of Knives [5/16]
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 03:23:44 pm »

It's every player for themselves. Only the last one standing wins.

I imagine that alliances may form at the start still, as PMs between players is allowed.

Not that these alliances can last.
Pages: [1] 2