Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bloody merchants  (Read 1159 times)

Blaidd_Drwg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bloody merchants
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

Keep swaggering up to my fortress and ripping me off. I'll offer them a fair trade for their crap and they'll say "yeah but we want everything else you have too." If I deselect some stuff they'll just put even more on until they're making something like 5000 profit. And if I keep trying to reduce the amount I'm being ripped off by, eventually they'll just leave in a huff. I really should look into building a booby-trapped depot.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody merchants
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

A long corridor full of spikes is best, it takes a bit of effort to set up (and a lot of mechanisms) but once its done it is re-usable and will instagib those merchant scum (that is if you use about 5 spikes per trap like I do)

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: thatguyyaknow ]

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

Give your broker a few levels of Negotiator in your starting build.

Kidinnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

With 2 levels of negotiator (no-adjective skill), I usually only give traders 10-20% profit. I found it tends to go easier on me if I offer them that profit up front, instead of proposing an even trade and letting them decide which of my things to set their hearts on...

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

It's only 'cause your broker is incompetent.  

Go on.  Make a few trades at a loss in the beginning.  It's probably only crap anyway, made from all of the waste stone you have lying around in your fort.  Let them think they're getting the better of you for a year or two.  Give your broker a chance to figure things out.  He might seem slow, making only one small trade at a time, but he's shrewd and he's learning how to please the people coming to your fort, hoping that you'll trade away your wealth for nothing.  

Then, after you've uncovered that vein of gold, pocketed with aluminum, and have given your metalsmiths a chance to craft a few golden goblets, and had them encrust those things with all the precious metals and stones your fortress has to offer...then sic your broker on 'em.  Buy out their entire caravan with a single goblet that your appraiser *swears* is only worth about 2.5k, but the humans think is just the epitome of awesome, what with it's menacing spikes of silver and hanging loops of copper and it's masterfully carved engraving of a dwarf looking plantive in fire opal.  The humans?  They think it's worth 15k.  But you?  You know better.

Stupid humans.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

I have a booby trapped Trade Depot. It is just a simple bridge over pit right now, so my next fort will have a levered spike floor design.

It was actually built to piss of the elves, since they don't like buying wooden objects, and they rarely ever bring me anything, and just bitch at me for not giving them a 3000 profit. I'm hoping to make a dozen Elven Skull Totems, and place them around the road leading to my fort.
That ought to scare off those hippies. If it doesn't, good. More to kill.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

A thief has made off with -Elf Skull Totem-!