Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding a seed from an already generated world  (Read 692 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Finding a seed from an already generated world
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:23:00 am »

Now, I'm insanely curious about this... As with the updates and whatnot, I would very much like to find a way to discern a seed from an already generated world.

The reason why is that, frankly, I found a fairly pristine area to start off in and build a gargantuan fortress. The problem is that I've heard various things about updates to map generation and whatnot, and I'd like to figure out the seed for this world I have, Bokstrasp, so I can regenerate it with major version changes if there are any, you know... Fixes for bugs I may not have known exist in my area... Say, fixes for gem cluster generation... Magma vent things... What have you...

So, I have a challenge for all you brainy-smarties out there (or people who know how these things work)... Can you find the seed that generated a world? I'll send the world to anyone who thinks they can. Or who just wants to see it. :P I have it all zipped up with an enclosed image to denote a pristine area. The area I'm using. :P

No clue if you actually can find a seed from an already generated world, but it would be nice to have...

[EDIT]
Oh, and the only reason I haven't provided the file right off the bat is mainly because I have nowhere to host it. :P
[/EDIT]

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: Zombie ]

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a seed from an already generated world
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:37:00 am »

Fastest way to grab a seed is to go into the esc menu while playing and generate a screenshot. A text file will be outputted at the same time with your world info (including seed.)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:00:00 am »

Awesomeness. Thanks a bunch.  :D I should see if people want it on the wiki. :P I think it's a pretty sweet place...
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

There should also be a .txt file called "world_gen_param-region#.txt" in your main dwarf fortress folder, if you don't feel like booting the game up.