Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Worst Accidents  (Read 2082 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Worst Accidents
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »

Hey, let's stripmine all 3 sand levels below my wooden fort to level everybody up to legendary. After that i channel them all for aditional xp.

2 years later:
Hmmm, more goblins, let's dig a moat. Huh where did my fort go?

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »

I've lost a few forts to stupid mistakes...

Once I tried to make a magma channel. I bumped into warm stone, made a 2-wide channel, then asked a miner to channel the wall to the pipe. I knew magma didn't follow pressure, so I was rather surprised to see my miner burn up. Some time later I realised that I asked the miner to mine the wall above the channel, and that magma will in fact not follow pressure, but will still fill, albeir slowly, that entire fortress section. I had no means to stop the magma at the time, so I abandoned. It took some 8 more tries to dig out that channel and keep the miner alive at the same time.

There were two times when I did some stupid things with flooding.

Once I tried to make a waterfall in my dining room. It was an ambitious project, the dining room was nicely outfitted with statues, and the water was supplied from two levels below the dining room, while power was transferred from some 3 levels above it. The whole construction was rigged to two levers behind the waterfall, one linked to the waterfall drain floodgate, another to the pumps' power supply.
So, I rigged it all together, sealed the machinery up (it needed to be watertight), and ordered the pump lever pulled. Yeah, it all worked fine for two seconds, before I realised that water hitting a down ramp (that formed a sort of emergency escape route out of the fort) also split in all directions, and that my dining room was flooding. I hastily ordered the lever pulled again. Some time later, someone actually got round to go and pull the lever. However, at that point I realised I ordered the wrong lever pulled! The drain floodgates closed, and water quickly filled the room. All machinery was flooded. Levers were flooded. The only way to enter was dismantling the first in the series of pumps that supplied water to the system, and allowing water to drain - but the system was designed to operate in winter, and with floodgates closed all water remained inside. I considered risking a miner and penetrating the outflow channel, but decided I'd rather start an earlier save.

Another accident almost led to casualties, but I described it in length in another topic. In short, a miner was trapped after digging the start of a drainage channel for a farm under an aquifer. A series of mishaps (including very wrong pressure plates) led to water quickly filling the room. After a series of futile attempts, the miner was rescued - at the last possible moment - and dropped sleeping on the same spot he washed out at, already a normal-grade Swimmer. The whole problem was lack of grates to put over the dug channel. During the whole ordeal, the mason that was doing them managed to do one run, and almost bring to his shop a stone that he brought from 5 levels below and across two fiendishly long winding corridors, that he chose over another that lay on a stockpile 7 tiles away from his shop.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Warhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

For me so far, there has only been one major mishap. Some of my dwarfs needed water for their injuries. I was right near a brook at the time so I decided to make an underground cistern. So I dug out the cistern and mad a channel to the river leaving a one tile wide wall to hold the water till winter. So I waited for winter and the river froze. I ordered the miner to brake through the wall and then ordered a floodgate to be built. For some reason I did not think of placing it before hand. As one of the dwarfs is carrying the floodgate to the site, the water thaws and comes rushing in. I immediately begin work on a wall to block off the passage so that water would not flood my entire fortress. As the last wall is about to be built, the water is 2 tiles away and my craftsdwarf is running for the opening. I could not wait for him since the water would soon make it impossible to build a wall. So he was trapped in the tunnel with rising water. Eventually he drowned to death.  :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

I was building a huge, nearly full-tile map, set on a one-tile mountain range so I could be guaranteed all of the special effects. After carving out a well-room and a reservoir bellow, I used channels to lead up to the river on the surface. Also a part of that channel was an adjacent walkway and a series of axles from my riverside power plant to a branch off from the channel into a room for my mills. I opened up the floodgates by the river, and shortly afterwards, the well activated and all was well. several minutes later, I noticed that there was a slight problem: half of my fortress was underwater, hidden by the rock icons where the debris had yet to be cleared. three dwarves managed to get above the high-water mark and tunnel away, to mine another day...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cajoes:
<STRONG>
My current project, aside from getting this reckless waste of dwarven tax payer's monies. Is to wall off the surface breaching lava went and douse the entire thing with 7+ft of water. Bloody fire imps.

Obsidian: Beats cement mix anytime.
[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Cajoes ]</STRONG>

Funny, I've just been doing pretty much the same project in my fortress.  It's gone somewhat smoothly, with the exception of a legendary miner getting isolated on an obsidian island, then getting blasted by lava mist when a chuck of land caved in.

Fabled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

I didn't even cause mine... I started in the middle of frozen major river that had started thawing  :( (the river also had carp!)
------------------------------------------------
I`m not mad, I''m angry!

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

When I was attached by a group of skeletal rhesus macaques. One of my recruits tumbled down into a murky pool. He constantly strangled the thing, but, of course it didn't die.

I was unable to move any millitary dwarves down to help him, and the pool itself was right beside my entire food/drink stockpile, meaning that everyone was slowly dehydrating due to their fear of a pitted skeletal rhesus macaque. I tried having marksdwarves kill the thing, but the z-axis bug was existent, and none of them hit. I tried digging to the soldier, but my miner was too scared to do so.

I then abandoned the fortress before everyone died of dehydration.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

I always use up/down stairways instead of up stairways and down stairways due to their convenience. Well, my nobles' rooms are located on the floor directly underneath my lava channels for my newly assembled 11x forges and 11x smelters. Whenever I build channels, I always put two or three up/down stairways on the sides of the channels so that anybody who falls in can easily get out without my supervision.

Well, I had decided to expand the nobles' floor and add some new rooms in anticipation of incoming powerful nobles. I'm sure you can guess what happened.   :) When you [d]esignate normal mining on a tile that had an up/down staircase built one level above, it opens up the ceiling... Well, I was messing with my newly set-up forges when I noticed that all the lava was no longer at 4/5 level, and was at 1/2 level instead. I thought, "That's odd. I didn't know Toady caused forges to use up some of the magma flow." Then I started getting strange messages about magma defacing my masterpiece engravings. I didn't realize until the magma was already flowing alllll the way out of this room and touching the doorway of my rooms on the other side of the hallway, when the revelation hit me and I check the floor right below my forges. Yup... totally ruined.

I tried to wall it off, but it was impossible and one of my legendary miners was trapped. This was in a fortress of 138 dwarfs, and I wasn't going to be able to continue, since the lava was about to go down my rock chute and down to the floors I was opening up below the nobles' floor. Sigh.   :)

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: FFLaguna ]

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

Crap. I was expanding a small portion of my workshop, and for some reason a large chunk of the ground caved in, punched through a workshop and two children, then landed on my trader. Fortunately, the kids bodies cushioned the cave in against my trader, so he was fine. The kids, however, had many broken bones, were unconscious, and are probably going to die.

Oh well, work goes on.

Update: A whole series of cavern collapses has gone on, killing or seriously injuring about 15 dwarves so far. I'm scrambling to put in new floors and supports.

I found out that the roof I have been making above my outside farm has been falling in, causing the collapse. A 20x15 section just knocked out (but hardly damaged) 12 guys.  Crap.

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 03:05:00 am »

So far my worst accident was at the beginning of my latest fort. I was up and beside a 10+ cliff and desired to build a huge 5-tile wide ramp all the way down. Since I knew I would be dealing with huge projects like this I prepared myself with 7 miners and send them all to carve the ramps.

My mistake was designating the ramp carving all the way down from the beggining. So, after my dwarves carved the first level they promptly began carving the second level below before cleaning first the upper level ramps. When the first dwarf managed to carve below and existing ramp it triggered a one-cell cave-in which managed to carry with it all the seven dwarves down (weird shock physics there)! Luckily one dwarf just fell one level down (the one who caused the cave-in). The other six weren't that lucky. They fell all the way down the cliff and died instantly. So basically I started the fortress with just one dwarf who managed to survive alone and far from any source of water for two years. Now it's a 50 dwarf strong fortress and they managed to complete the ramp to recover the bodies of the fallen comrades.

Maybe six deaths is not much of a disaster but being them part of the initial seven makes for a 85% population loss in a single accident.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 07:14:00 am »

When I accidentally caved in the entrance to my fort and managed to crush my only miner in the rocks and trapping my forges outside and also managing to block the hallway leading to the stockpiles.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

i started a new fortress on a map with magma with a team of 4 miners, a clerk/broker/leader, a carpenter/architect and a mason/stonecrafter/mechanic with enough supplies to last till the first caravan came, and possibly till the first wave of migrants came at which time i would convert some/most migrants to farmers and produce my own food.

anyway i staked out a location near the magma vent and started digging, i got to the point where i detected warm stone and had my dwarfs start channeling it out...

big mistake on my part was i selected to channel a small row and 3 of my miners began to channel while standing on the designated areas, 1 miner got undermined by another and fell into the magma, lesson learn, channel 1 tile at a time :)

kirunobliv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

My FAVORITE dwarf.

She had gone through alot, even had on her personality "is getting used to tragedy." She lost a baby from falling off a tower I was building, luckily she survived somehow, dehydrated and starving, drug herself to my foods stores and recooperated... she then was drafted into the military and became my first Axelord with Legendary Axe skill and maxed stats, and even had another child.

Was shot in the head by a goblin archer, instagibbed. This left her baby wandering around in puke and blood from the goblin seige.

Her baby grew up eventually, immediatley threw a tantrum which broke three masterwork things... etc etc etc...

It -was- a nice fortress.

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: kirunobliv ]

quot;..." - anon., Emo
Pages: 1 [2]