Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wizard Court: New Judges and Magicians-at-Law welcome!  (Read 1753 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Court: New Judges and Magicians-at-Law welcome!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 05:25:09 pm »

"Objection!"

"While the utilization of magic to reanimate corpses is not in and of itself a forbidden magic, it is subject to heavy regulation. The fifth law of magic specifies that the act of necromancy involves unwilling dead. A séance is a request for the presence of a spirit and not a command, thus the wizard court is not in violation of this law. Now, allow me to provide additional clarity to the case at hand!"

"As I previously mentioned in my opening statement,
'you must stay at least 50 feet away from any marked graveyard whenever casting a spell which can raise the dead or create undead!'. I will also point out that graveyards and cemeteries are in fact, affiliated with the church, as the act of performing funerals and burying a corpse underground at the foot of their tombstone is the duty of the priesthood. Thus, I establish that the act of exhuming a corpse at a cemetery also constitutes messing with the church!"

"Also as I previously mentioned,
'You can't raise corpses or make undead of corpses which are in good standing with the law, except with written consent by the corpse, verified by an official.' Thus, to not be in violation of this law Q.T. Wiz would have also needed to obtained written permission from the church prior to casting at the cemetery! If you want to claim that the church has not been made upset by Q.T.'s roguish behavior, then I suggest that we actually ask a representative of the clergy about the church's opinion of the matter."

"And furthermore, it has been established that both flora and fauna were witness to the events of the day. Thus, this is not a case of there being no witnesses!"
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 12:51:21 am »

"As I previously mentioned in my opening statement, 'you must stay at least 50 feet away from any marked graveyard whenever casting a spell which can raise the dead or create undead!'. I will also point out that graveyards and cemeteries are in fact, affiliated with the church, as the act of performing funerals and burying a corpse underground at the foot of their tombstone is the duty of the priesthood. Thus, I establish that the act of exhuming a corpse at a cemetery also constitutes messing with the church!"

"Also as I previously mentioned,
'You can't raise corpses or make undead of corpses which are in good standing with the law, except with written consent by the corpse, verified by an official.' Thus, to not be in violation of this law Q.T. Wiz would have also needed to obtained written permission from the church prior to casting at the cemetery! If you want to claim that the church has not been made upset by Q.T.'s roguish behavior, then I suggest that we actually ask a representative of the clergy about the church's opinion of the matter."

"And furthermore, it has been established that both flora and fauna were witness to the events of the day. Thus, this is not a case of there being no witnesses!"
Three, the Court is aware the cemetery is publicly owned by a largely politically non-magical kingdom, and that as of this hearing any religious authorities in said kingdom are unaware of the specifics of this incident--although we have stopped monitoring the crime scene at this time. Local magic authorities may have already stepped in, but it is their responsibility to contact us unless the defense can think of a sufficiently serious reason to warrant our more direct involvement. And on this point, given these prior clarifications, the Court will not move to dismiss or strike the case as of yet.
"Civil cemeteries can and do exist. The Judge has previously clarified that this particular graveyard is owned by the kingdom rather than any particular Church. Thus the Church is not as such, particularly involved, beyond potentially in burial rites."

"Further, necromancy is sometimes seen as holy.1. I have no recourse against the 50 feet clause, but note that we still do not in fact know for certain that the accused was planning on performing any necromancy, and have not yet performed and necromancy when apprehended."

1.: Faiths of Eberron, p.78: Clerics  of the Blood of Vol pursue and master spells of the necromancy school, especially those dealing with death or the animation of the dead. A strong grasp of how divine magic interacts with death and the soul is fundamental to understanding the Divinity Within. Those who have the power to raise the dead, for example, are seen as spiritually advanced, thus gaining greater status and respect.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:06:19 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 01:12:33 pm »

[hmmm, I think theres enough here for me to rule unless anyone wants to propose further arguments or reanimate this guys corpse lol]
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 06:34:57 pm »

"Now now, even if the defendant did not plan to perform an act of necromancy, the fact remains that they have cast a spell of unknown purpose. It has already been established that suspicion is grounds for a trial, thus so long as there is a chance that the spell could have had necromantic effects, this suspicion will remain."

"Furthermore, there is something that I am not quite clear on in regards to the witness testimony. See, our connection to their afterlife is unstable to the point where a part of their testimony has been cut off. This is also
suspicious on account of the fact that this court uses perfect law-magic. What this means, is that in order for such a disturbance to occur someone would have needed to cast a spell with properties that could interact with their afterlife!"

"And the most probabe cause of that, is that someone was performing a spell with the intention of exploitation of the dead! Thus I have another question for our witness. Has anyone other than Q.T. Wiz visited your place of final resting in the past few days?"
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 11:07:20 pm »

[hmmm, I think theres enough here for me to rule unless anyone wants to propose further arguments or reanimate this guys corpse lol]
[I'm good]

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 11:49:20 pm »

[We'll question our spirit-y friend one more time and see where it goes before calling it--if that's amenable to all. I am just big tired, so I'll get to it on the morrow!]

why would we be calling it? We are not calling it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:52:14 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 04:49:51 pm »

What do you mean calling it? I thought we were still at the opening statement phase. We haven't even got to the evidence yet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 05:51:41 pm »

Oh nevermind lol

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 11:52:36 pm »

[I thought we were at stage III ish? Anyway, whatever is cool]

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:18 am »

Ah its okay, in the future--we'll be more clear about the delineation of things. My bad. Update coming later today.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 09:05:14 am »

"Um... The investigative wiz sure is taking their sweet time with delivering the evidence aren't they? I was expecting them to be here like a week ago!"
Pages: 1 [2]