Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange mood - plant cloth  (Read 3386 times)

Ironreaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood - plant cloth
« on: January 31, 2021, 10:00:20 am »

This is an issue I have been having with my most recent fort. I've lost three (maybe four) dwarves to strange moods that call for 'plant cloth'. I've been producing plenty of the stuff, using the farmer workshop to '(p)roces plants', after which dwarves will automatically bring it to the loom to '(w)eave thread into cloth (plant thread)'. I'm not manufacturing clothing in any real quantity. The hospital has all the thread it needs. Am I following the incorrect steps to produce plant cloth? Is the cloth being earmarked for something else without me knowing (and how would I find out)? Can dwarves in a mood require a specific type of plant cloth that I may not have? Currently have my game saved with yet another dwarf crying out for plant cloth to make his fancy artifact, and I'd rather not have to execute him with militia.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood - plant cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:12:19 am »

Check your hospital screen. If your hospital has more cloth assigned to it than you have in your fort, making more will simply see it marked as reserved by your hospital, rather than free for use by a moody dorf.

Where does the cloth actually go that you manufacture for this mood? Could burrows or stockpile settings be stopping the moody dorf get to it?
This is a blank sig.

Ironreaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:21:24 am »

The hospital is maxed on both cloth and thread. Cloth is 50000/50000. I've got no burrows active, and have not applied any special settings to stockpiles that modify permissions.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 11:35:55 am »

Is it actually the plant cloth they're waiting on? IIRC, they gather items in a certain order, not based on which ones become available.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ironreaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 12:01:12 pm »

I am fairly certain it is plant cloth which is holding things up. Mainly because I've watched each of the dwarves that run into this problem gather other items (logs, furs, gems, bars etc) and then stop at their workshop, unproductive until they go crazy. I suppose it is possible that the dwarf wants something other than plant cloth, but everything else on his list is also in abundance within my fortress, so it would really be back to square one.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 12:24:17 pm »

I suggest using DFHack and its showmood command to see exactly what the dorf wants, and in what quantities.
This is a blank sig.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 12:52:30 pm »

Are you sure it's plant cloth they need? Only one of the mood types specifies the type of cloth, while the others just indicate cloth and leave you guessing at which kind it is (plant/wool/silk).
MonkeyHead mentioned the DFHack command you need to check what the mood actually needs.

The typical cloth type missing for moods is silk cloth, as it usually takes some time to get production of that going, although if you don't bring any wool producing animals on embark wool may be the issue as well. Plant cloth tends to be an issue only if I've forgotten to forbid some (for moods), and thus have used it all up to produce bags.

Ironreaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 12:59:56 pm »

The dwarf specifically says plant cloth when I examine his workstation.

I've also done a fair amount of animal shearing, and purchased silk thread that has since been woven into cloth.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 04:00:27 pm »

There are several types of plant cloth. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Plant_fiber

If your dwarf is possessed, they likely want a specific kind of cloth. You can perhaps get a clue by looking at their preferences. You can also carefully examine the surface to see if you have any of the cloth plants growing, then have a herbalist gather some plants and make it into cloth. Trading with elves and humans are another way of getting more cloth types. Good luck.

Ironreaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 05:45:35 pm »

Sadly, the dwarf in question has no preferences related to plants. I'm doing a mass plant collection on the surface, in hopes that whatever specific plant is desired ends up being collected / processed in time.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 07:59:04 pm »

Do you have plant cloth in the hospital's storage? Reduce the hospital's cloth setting to 0 and if the dwarf does not react, de-construct the hospital's storage boxes.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 08:05:41 pm »

Could be a Bin issue.  IIRC, cloth stacks is among the items that become unavailable in a container, it has to be placed on the ground.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 10:24:43 pm »

I would recommend abolishing your hospital for a short while.

There are several types of plant cloth. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Plant_fiber

If your dwarf is possessed, they likely want a specific kind of cloth.

Moody dorfs want either Silk Cloth, Plant Cloth or Yarn. They do not require a specific type of plant cloth, so long as there is plenty of plant cloth, they won't check which cloth it is, although if they have a preference they will choose that preference over other plant cloths. So any plant cloth should do. Same as if they want silk, they won't care if it's cave spider silk or forgotten beast silk, or if they want yarn, they won't judge as to whether it's from a sheep or an alpaca.

Could be a Bin issue.  IIRC, cloth stacks is among the items that become unavailable in a container, it has to be placed on the ground.

This seems like the most likely answer, and it is the one I was going to suggest.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Ironreaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 07:48:41 pm »

New strange mood dwarf, I checked his workshop, and he has cloth. I believe he wants bone (he is drawing skeletons). Have plenty of bones lying around from all the butchered llamas and pangolins. Maybe he wants the bones of a specific creature?

Currently running the newest version of DF, so dfhack is not an option yet.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 07:59:30 pm »

New strange mood dwarf, I checked his workshop, and he has cloth. I believe he wants bone (he is drawing skeletons). Have plenty of bones lying around from all the butchered llamas and pangolins. Maybe he wants the bones of a specific creature?

Currently running the newest version of DF, so dfhack is not an option yet.
Are the bones outside, or in a stockpile?  It shouldn't matter, but since he found cloth, I'm rather stumped as to why this Dorf is stuck.
Pages: [1] 2