Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Difficulty Rating System  (Read 1000 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Difficulty Rating System
« on: January 28, 2021, 01:31:26 am »

For both fortress and adventure mode. Depending on where the player sets he's fortress location and how many starting points remained unspended the game will comment on the player how much of a challenge he put on self.

In adventure mode difficulty rating can be easily increased by playing as a peasant, weak at combat race and having a lot of needs.

I wander if they should take forms of score multipliers. If Dwarf Fortress had a score systems for players looking for breaking they're records instead of experiencing stories. Score can ultimately be farmed forever until defeat and that's why I think it's amount should be divided depending on the amount of endured days. Ending game by losing and defeat on the same day would not divide score. Doing so on the second day halves it and so on. Ultimately if the game is to be challenging it should also challenge the player emotionally but it is all for the players looking for difficult tasks not necessarily great stories.

In the end Dwarf Fortress attracts story seekers, art admirers, ASCII fans, A.I. researchers and masocore gamers.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Difficulty Rating System
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 01:52:14 am »

Eh, sounds too arcadey.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 02:36:35 am »

At it’s heart, DF is a fantasy world simulator that seeks to create histories just as detailed as (possibly even more detailed than) The Lord of The Rings.  Fortress mode and adventure mode are but two “windows” on this simulation (another is legends mode).  Toady isn’t really interested in catering to arcade type players and has shown a strong aversion to making things “gamey” in the past.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 03:19:20 pm »

At it’s heart, DF is a fantasy world simulator that seeks to create histories just as detailed as (possibly even more detailed than) The Lord of The Rings.  Fortress mode and adventure mode are but two “windows” on this simulation (another is legends mode).  Toady isn’t really interested in catering to arcade type players and has shown a strong aversion to making things “gamey” in the past.

Ok.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 04:57:34 am »

The game already tells you stuff like You have embarked in an area with an aquifer.  This can make it very difficult to get stone. and Are you sure you want to embark?  Some points remain!  I think it would be nice to add onto these warnings, and the idea of This may be a difficult embark for the following reasons: seems entirely reasonable.

Score, on the other hand, seems extremely out-of-place for Dwarf Fortress.

How do i use sigtext properly?

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 06:39:50 pm »

“You have embarked on an evil biome. You may be assaulted by disgusting weather and flesh-eating zombies if you embark here.”

“You have embarked on a glacier/tundra. Your dwarves may freeze to death if you embark here.”

“You have embarked on a scorching biome. Your dwarves may overheat to death if you embark here.”

“You have embarked on a badlands/mountain/desert. You may have difficulty finding trees if you embark here.”

I mean, at least do it for evil biomes because for some people the spooky colours weren’t enough

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 07:42:23 pm »

What the game needs is to add anuses to people (or at least nobles), allow you to shove things inside orifices, and have the noble give you your quest on paper.  That way, when a noble gives you an impossible quest, you can tell them to place it in the proper receptacle.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 08:23:38 pm »

What the game needs is to add anuses to people (or at least nobles), allow you to shove things inside orifices, and have the noble give you your quest on paper.  That way, when a noble gives you an impossible quest, you can tell them to place it in the proper receptacle.
Well, with a bit of modding you can.....get yourself banned forever from these forums and go down in DF history. Ha ha. :)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 08:31:52 pm »

Well, with a bit of modding you can.....get yourself banned forever from these forums and go down in DF history. Ha ha. :)
There’s a difference between sticking something inside an orifice and just “punching” said orifice...  :P

Besides, is it really assault if they placed it there themselves?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 05:18:55 pm »

Keistering stolen artifacts would sure make fort mode investigations more interesting. And think of the expanded storage space for adventurers.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 03:29:17 pm »

I will say that something that I personally think would be interesting would be that the amount of points you can spend on embark would be based on the "difficulty" of that particular embark.  Of course, there's still the problem of properly defining "difficulty".

How do i use sigtext properly?