Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - IC: Jeoathica  (Read 3878 times)

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - IC: Jeoathica
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2021, 06:52:30 am »

Aera

"I do not. I am a simple wanderer of these lands, come to visit your establishment. May I stay and rest here? And how is the situation in the east, I'm curious?"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:54:30 am by MeimieFan88 »
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2021, 05:43:04 pm »

Turn 9

Acter Nobody
(Your turn was missed as you didn't post. See turn 8 to see what is currently happening for you.)

A couple of events catch your notice. You see a group of purplefolk gathering with spears at the edge of the village, the elder informs you that they are preparing for a hunting trip. You also notice another spear-wielding person standing at the edge of a lake, apparantly trying to catch fish.

Aera
The purple person responds to you. They inform you that there is another settlement to the east, and that its not a very common occurrence to get news from other villages. The locals have also decided that you are permitted to stay here if you want, and they have a few additional shelters that are not currently in use; though if you want food you would need to either get it yourself or work for it.

The beetle hunters are returning to the village carrying parts of their quarry, bringing a considerable amount of excitement. Evidently, not all such hunts go very well.

Lysirithanth
You gather some of the clay and begin to assemble a kiln. You manage to get a decent shape for one, but you find yourself with a minor dilemma now. You'll need to decide on how you are going to provide heat and fire for this thing, both for hardening the kiln itself, and for getting enough heat in order to produce bricks. There isn't a whole lot of wood in your current location, and while you do see some small trees in the distance it would be a bit inconvenient to go harvest them then return and the wood would need to be dried for this purpose as well.

Oh, and you notice a couple of the purplefolk gathering clay from the hole you dug out.

Max
You head south to look for sources of ice. Where you currently are, the snow is not very deep and there is also what appears to be living grass and foliage lying dormant below the snow. If you go by how the temperature felt in the places you have been to so far, going further south would bring you to an even colder area. You can handle the current temperature fine, but if things get moderately colder you might have some difficulties without additional preparations.

You don't get any new interference from the gods, but you do figure out a non-zero amount of things. Namely that the gods are virtually if not completely unbeatable when it comes to their own domain. Forcibly preventing Morse from communicating and preventing Homer from engaging in cartography is simply not going to be possible even with demigod powers; but preventing Homer from being able to communicate with you would merely be difficult as that is not their domain. Exactly how difficult is not yet clear.

Salem Monroe
You travel to the north along with your boat, and you can see the waters from your current location. During your travels, you end up setting off a tripwire that managed to escape your notice! A camoflaged net below you starts to rise. Its actually quite impressive that such a thing managed to escape your enhanced senses!

Though this particular trap appears to be intended for smaller quarry as the net lacks the pull force to lift you, your heavy armor, or your boat into the air; thus the trap does little to actually impede you. The fact that there is a trap in a place like this is more interesting than the trap itself.

You still have a bit of travelling to do to reach the waters.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2021, 08:50:51 pm »

Max

Continue travelling in an auspicious direction for finding the pingos I'm searching for.  The snow shovel should help for making snow shelters, such as quinzees, which should help if it starts getting too cold.  A glacier or ice sheet should not be necessary, but will do if I end up finding one first.  Sea ice and lake ice is no good.. sea ice gets piled up by wind when near shores, which makes it into a jumbled pile of tumbled pieces on top of each other.. too cracked.  Lake ice is the same way for large lakes, and a small lake is probably both too small while being dangerous to walk on.

I think the best terrain for pingos is open permafrost tundra, with few or no trees, no mountains, and no construction, so avoid all three of them.  Just open, flat tundra where the hills from pingos are most visible.

Continue pondering the machinations of the gods.  Would it be possible to block a deity by changing the conditions of a situation?  Like would the god of cartography be able to map an area that has eternally unstable terrain?  (Such as certain locations of seafloor, where currents are continually moving around piles of sand, leaving no fixed features to map.)  Or an infinite plane, such as the infinite depths of space?  Or would it end up being simply labelled as such, with something like 'Space', or 'Shifting seafloor'.

Another question would be if the god of the ocean could block homer from mapping the ocean.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:50:19 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2021, 11:12:48 pm »

Could use the sun, but that would require glass, and I can't make glass without heat in the first place. Maybe carrying some molten rock to the kiln in my hands would work, but in the time it would take to dig a hole to the mantle or find an active volcano I could have gathered the wood several times over. Friction is also a source of heat, and I myself am a perpetual motion device, but I'm not sure if the material in question would be able to hold a high enough heat before it's shedding that energy faster than I'm adding it. Could I store up a bunch of potential kinetic energy and then release it in the form of heat all at once? Well, not with the materials I have, really.

Walk to the trees.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2021, 09:12:57 pm »

Salem leaves a hunk of his meat on the trap as an apology for ruining someone's dinner, then makes a mental note of the trap's location so he can replace the offering with some cooked food if they haven't taken it by the time he's done preserving the rest of it. He then continues on his path north to the water.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:07 pm »

Acter

That is interesting, but I am afraid that my skills lie elsewhere. I am more of a craftsman. Is there any item you might need, or perhaps a sort of animal or plant that would be advantageous to have around? I assure you that I can provide.
[A pre-turn response on what is requested would be helpful, so that I could decide how to go about the task.]
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2021, 11:48:14 pm »

(Not allowed to ask for faster content while your own world was neglected for over a week.)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2021, 11:50:17 pm »

(That's fair. :p
Will post... tomorrow. It's almost midnight here, and tomorrow's open.)

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2021, 02:40:16 am »

Aera

Make myself at home in one of the additional shelters.

Take a walk at some point towards the southwest, and blow a wind of prosperity towards the forest in that direction.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2021, 02:39:08 pm »

Turn 10

Acter Nobody
You ask the elder about the kind of resources that they need. The elder thinks on this for a moment before informing you that they are more concerned about the kind of animals and plants that are not advantageous to have around. Of particular concern to them is the 'Konnavaal' which is described as monster that is too large to hunt. It is known for its gigantic mouth, occasional sightings by hunting parties, and its ability to traverse both land and sea.

... Though he does mention that if one were to lose a fight with another titan at land, they would be able to make great use of its bones.

Aera
You spend some time in one of the shelters. Its not a particularly great place, though it does offer some protection from the elements. The only real element it is protecting against at the moment is the wind, which didn't bother you in the least to begin with. It would be better than nothing when the rain comes though. Nobody comes to visit you during your stay.

After some time, you head to the southwest and blow a wind of prosperity in that direction. Its not immediately obvious what effects this has, but you do notice that Homer has been keeping track of where you used this ability, denoted as a triangle in your color.

Lysirithanth
You head outside of the village to get to the trees, and travel to the southeast to do so. The trees in this area are sparse, and maybe about six to eight meters tall, their branches spread out further than one might expect from a tree of this scale with many leaves with a large surface area. It won't be sufficient for a large scale industry, but you should be able to harvest more than enough to keep a kiln running for a while. Removing the trees from this place without the proper tools would cause serious damage to the wood, but if you just need it for fuel then cutting them down by bashing them with your titanium body would be fine.

Max
You continue to travel to the south. It has stopped snowing yet the air is getting colder in spite of that; or maybe its just aided by the wind. While you've yet to find any quality ice you can tell that south from here things get even colder. You notice a couple of small creatures not far from your current location, maybe about a foot in diameter. They have a light blue to white coloration, large scales and a short tail...

You consider your problem further; and while you have yet to get a solution for deific meddling in general, you found one possible solution to the specific problem that you have with Homer! His cartography domain appears to be restriced to entities that are capable of cartography, and perhaps also physical maps themselves. Impairing yourself to the point where you would lack the ability to create maps is unwise among other things, but if you can enable someone else to be able to do this then the fog of war would lift around them too! Homer has already agreed to conceal your mark on the map directly. If the world was fully mapped, it would be harder to find you! Doing such things would clearly be playing into the god's hand though.

Its not immediately clear to you what would happen in regards to evolving terrain, though you do know that technically, the world is always changing so it seems unlikely that expediting the process would be enough to stop him. As for the clashing of opposing domains... That's still unclear to you.

Salem Monroe
You put some of your meat on the trap and continue on your travels. You and your boat head north to the water. When you arrive, you can see that if you wanted to continue going north, you could just have gone along the coast to do so; but if you wanted to go sailing you can see plenty of water to the east. You can probably set up a campfire here without causing too much damage.

Looking to the waters you can see some interesting wildlife. There are a number of colorful insects that, at a glance, have an uncanny similarity to a beach ball.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2021, 02:55:51 pm »

Acter Nobody

Interesting. I'll see what I can do.

With a goal in place, Acter begins work on an artifact, an intricately carved steel spear, that - when struck into a living thing - multiplies the effect their own weight has on them, with greater effect the heavier and larger it is. A person would find their limbs sluggish and unresponsive, the large creature Acter had encountered previously might have to lay down so as not to break its legs.
Something as large as the 'Konnavaal' was described to be would doubtlessly be toppled by the weight, rendered helpless to hunters.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2021, 11:43:37 pm »

There's an easy way to prevent myself from being able to make a map.  I could just be blind, allowing 'homer' to simply 'map' the terrain under my feet.. the mental maps made by the blind are maps in time and not in space, which might sidestep his ability quite nicely.

But changing terrain should work.  Either I'm being forced to spread the power of the god of cartography, or changing terrain would render the map useless, if it's a static image.

Continue looking for ice.  Westward this time, as I'm in prime pingo latitude.  I'm not trying to block Homer, specifically, although consider the blindfold idea.  What I'm looking for is the ability to detect Homer's power.  I want to build a general (if limited) solution, and I think having access to ice may be the key that I need.

(Also, I have absolutely no idea what those creatures might be that were just encountered.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:42:34 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2021, 01:26:02 am »

Climb up the tree and chop off all the limbs first, then chop through the trunk. Use the side of my hand to minimize the contact area of my strikes. Hit as hard as physically possible, since there's no chance of this damaging me.

Once that's done, gather up all the limbs and the trunk and drag them back to the village, laying them out in the sun to dry.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2021, 05:12:45 pm »

Turn 11

Acter Nobody
You decide to craft an artifact, but quickly encounter an issue. You don't have any steel to create the artifact out of, or any kind of metal for that matter! It would be possible to craft an artifact out of lesser materials if you had the inclination. Wood, Bone and Rock are immediately available, but it is less clear if it would have the durability needed to properly pierce a Konnavaal... Though you do notice that a minority of the bones in the village are remarkably large and tough.

If you want something made of metal, you may need to dig up the ores and smelt it yourself. Or at least nudge the locals in the right direction.

Aera
(Your turn was missed as you didn't post. See turn 10 to see what is currently happening for you.)

Lysirithanth
You spend some time removing the limbs of the tree, then cutting it down with your hands. Its far from a perfectly clean cut and it turns out that you had more than enough strength to bring down this particular kind of tree. Dragging the trunk is rather tiresome but eventually you get it back to the village.

When you return and set the log down, you notice that there is a second kiln not too far from the one you made! Closer inspection reveals that its actually less of a kiln and more of a little house that one of the purple folk is resting in made out of clay. One that looks an awful lot like a kiln.

Max
You head to the west to continue your search while making bold assumptions about the latitude, and manage to find some ice below your current location. A closer inspection reveals it to be a couple of inches thick, with an occasional footprint of a massive creature breaking the uniformity of it. The snow above the ice does not have the footprint so its safe to say that whatever caused that passed through quite some time ago.

You disregard the critters, but find that they do not disregard you! One of them started clinging to your leg and gnawing at your boot!

(Most Jeoathican animals have no real life counterpart.)

Salem Monroe
(Your turn was missed as you didn't post. See turn 10 to see what is currently happening for you.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2021, 06:59:45 pm »

"I wasn't going to use mine for that, it's for cooking the clay into blocks which can be used for building. Good job cutting out the middleman, though!"

Patiently wait for my wood to dry out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6