Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - IC: Jeoathica  (Read 3881 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - IC: Jeoathica
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 09:15:15 pm »

Acter Nobody

Ah, excellent!
Acter strode toward the natives, shovel by his side and hand extended into the air. Salutations, all! Might we be introduced?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »

Turn 6

Acter Nobody
You go to introduce yourself to the locals and ask them about introductions. It seems like you might have somehow used less syllables than expected upon saying that, but the message appears to have been understood well enough. A few of them talk among themselves for a bit, and they appear to have some apprehensions about you. One of them asks you to wait there while he speaks to the chief.

Aera
You follow above them in the air to see where they are situated, and you find it before too long. They appear to have a village at the edge of a forest! You'll need to descend below the treetops in order to get a good look at it, but they appear to be transporting the parts of the hunted beetle to this location.

Morse tells you <You're welcome.>

Lysirithanth
You inform the two that they don't have to be scared of you and just sort of push on through to travel more to the south. You suspect that one of them might have tried stabbing you with a spear; to which you respond by just continuing to walk and they wisely choose not to follow up on that.

You find yourself strolling through what appears to be a village. You see quite a lot of primitive shelters, some clay pots filled with water and some kind of animal fur on a drying rack. You draw quite a bit of attention to yourself here. One of the more courageous purple folk approaches you to ask you who you are. And what you are.

You can see some mountains in the distance to the south.

Max
You take a moment to yell at a god. At the very least, you are quite certain that you can still understand your own thoughts. Morse even responds. <Since it means so much to you, I will retract my blessing.> This is probably just going to make things harder for yourself, but at least you'll probably be able to enjoy the language.

As you go looking around for some nicely shaped sticks, you consider if you will need to actively use direct adaptation in order to resist the shenanigans of the local gods. The problem with gods is that they are... Well... GODS! Some psionic resistance or advanced stealth might help, but if you ever had a serious problem with one or more of the gods it will take a lot more than willpower and a pointy stick to resolve it. You've actually got some half decent results by yelling at them actually.

After some time you manage to assemble half a dozen wooden spears. The use of a strap does not seem to be strictly necessary as you manage to hold them under one of your arms. With that in hand, you travel to the south. The trees are much more sparse now. You notice some animal footprints in the snow. The tracks suggest a quadruped several times your size, moving to the west from the east.

Salem Monroe
You lift up your boat/log to defend against the creature's attack, and only budge a couple inches from the impact. The creature wraps itself around the boat for a moment before realizing that it is not food. You hear its high pitched screech once again as it lets go of the log and it starts looking around.

You note that the creature has some kind of claws, which thankfully did not pierce through the log in an unfortunate location. It looks like it would serve you better than your sharp rock if you could extract one. Alternatively, you could probably avoid getting into a proper fight easily enough.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 08:32:47 pm »

Acter Nobody

Of course, of course. There is no rush. Simply, you are the first people I have encountered in my travels here! It is somewhat difficult not to be excited.

Acter plants his shovel in the ground and leans on it, looking over what he can see of the natives' constructions, as well as the general area. What materials do they use, what is the nature of their craftsmanship, what resources seem to be of ready availability?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2021, 09:06:20 pm »

Well, a metaphorical pointy stick could work, with something that could threaten something the deity cares about.

Also, Morse called it "withdrawing a blessing."  That implies that Morse set up something globally to handle all communication, rather than adjusting individuals to match.  That is frightening, but in a different manner.

There should also be lots of ways to resist these gods.  Could try to achieve a higher taxonomic grade, could try to establish ontological limitations on them, could change self into something that is unaffected by said abilities due to working differently.. say, gain the ability to predict the future, but instead of understanding the language, simply evaluate all possible futures resulting from saying specific noises.  That technically wouldn't even count as communication, and Morse wouldn't have power over it.  There's always some solution, even if it's esoteric or weird.

Set two problems for adaptation.  I'd like to hunt this quadruped (better tracking and stealth), and I'd like to be able to detect the god machinations that are going on.  At least the ones affecting me.  That'll give me information on how to evade or counteract them.

In the meanwhile, continue following the treeline and the tracks through this snowy tundra?  Keep an eye out for any predators doing the same, and try to move to the downwind side.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2021, 09:38:55 pm »

"Made from titanium, obviously. Think I'm supposed to be a demigod or something in this reality. Doesn't matter much, though; I can only do things which are possible with my own two hands."

Lysirithanth holds out her two shining metal palms to demonstrate.

"Ah, speaking of. I believe that my other selves know a little bit of geology. Useful materials lie under the ground. I wonder if there are any right here? Wouldn't hurt to spend a few weeks to find out."

Begin digging a hole somewhere near the village (not anywhere it'd be in the way), looking for useful minerals, especially anything containing Titanium. Beero should have the necessary knowledge. Use my hands to scoop dirt and chip away at stone with my punches. It may be slow, but I'm in no hurry.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 05:08:47 pm »

If I left it alone, this thing would probably end up making trouble for someone without superhuman strength. Best to put it down now before someone gets hurt.

The surprisingly versatile log/shield finds a third use as a club. Salem smashes it into the creature, attempting to pin it under the weight to keep it from escaping. And also crush it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 01:20:06 am »

Aera

Descend nearby and unsummon my pterodactyl. Shapeshift into one of the purple people and walk to the village to take a look around.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 06:01:47 pm »

Turn 7

You should go update your own world now.

Acter Nobody
You decide to wait patiently, and check out the constructions of the village. They seem to work primarily with leather, bone and some other kind of sturdy biological material. They also make use of untreated sticks and twine. Stone seems to be used for certain kinds of tools, but not for making shelter. All in all, its not very impressive.

After some time, an elderly looking purple person approaches you, supporting itself by wielding a wooden stick. It considers its words for a moment before responding. "Greetings stranger. What brings you to our village?"

Aera
You have your Pterodactyl descend and use your Physical Manifestation: Shapeshifter ability to take the form of a purple person. You then approach the village on foot.

The village here has what looks like houses built from animal leather, using the naturally grown trees as support. Some carved segments of logs seem to be used to collect rainwater here. Some of the trees you see have markings made by scratching them with stones, the purpose of this is apparantly to either keep track of something, or to indicate what lies in a specific direction.

One of the people notices you and greets you. "Hail foreigner! Do you come bearing news from the east?"

Lysirithanth
You respond. In spite of the obviousness of your titanium exterior, the people appear to be quite confused about what you mean, and equally confused about the comment about your other selves.

More importantly, you begin digging. The sand below you proves rather easy to displace. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be titanium in the immediate vicinity; or at the very least what you can sense is too widely dispersed to be of much use, though you cannot rule out the possibility that there might be denser deposits too far underground for you to detect from here. After digging down a few meters, you find some manner of stone and trace amounts of clay.

Beero's craftsmanship knowledge suggests that there are a number of uses for the clay, such as creation of pottery, bricks for construction, and it could also have a few industrial purposes which are not immediately viable. It is not immediately clear if any useful metals are contained within the stone you found. The sand itself could also have uses.

Max
You consider your adaptation ability to focus on two different problems. Hunting an animal and aversion of divine influence are two very different things, but the two problems have a few commonalities. You feel a bit less adept with spear creation but in return gain temporary use of the "Analysis" ability. This will enable you to get more information about things you seek information on. This may enable you to find vulnerabilities in your quarry, and perhaps even the slightest bit of intel of the machinations of the local gods.

You follow along the treeline. The quadruped's tracks seem to be going further away from the forest and may necessitate deviating from your intended route to follow them. As you travel however, you notice another quadrupedal creature; but this one doesn't match the tracks. This animal stands about two meters tall, with powerful looking hind legs. It has a stout body, light grey fur and long ears. Upon its head are two forked antlers, about a meter in length. It glances in your direction, and it either didn't notice you or doesn't care about your presence.

Salem Monroe
You use your boat as a makeshift club to pound the creature into the ground and with a few good hits you manage to kill the creature... However in doing this the partially hollowed log splits in two! This particular log is no longer going to be suitable for seafaring purposes.

... Some parts of the felled creature look like they might be useful, in particular: The claws.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2021, 06:55:07 pm »

Acter Nobody

The lights behind Acter's mask's eye slits shift from their default red to a friendly green. Salutations, chieftain. I would be Acter Nobody, a... perhaps the term would be "itinerant deity". I have only recently entered this land, and I have been searching for its denizens. I am glad to have finally made contact with some of you. If I may, I would like to offer my services; I specialize in the encouragement of progress, improvement, learning. If it would not be considered rude, remiss, I should be glad to grant my blessings upon you and your fellows.

If Acter is given approval - which he does expect to be - then he will bless the village with Inspire Progress, intending that their technology - limited as it may be - will develop, perhaps even reaching the point of constructing in stone and working metal. Not immediately, of course, but much faster than it otherwise would.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2021, 07:41:11 pm »

(Will update today.)

Mmm, so it can be directed, but only in one direction at a time.

I was going to use an animal for raw materials, but come to think of it, there are better options.  In a tundra, there should be pingos, and large quantities of ice could be very useful.

Before the wood crafting ability runs out, go back to the trees and make a snow shovel.  Then, start wandering around the tundra area, looking for hilly ice formations, while practicing my new ability.  Maybe I can detect the machinations of the local gods.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2021, 01:34:50 pm »

Harvest anything that looks useful or tasty on the beast using its own claws, then get back to making the boat with a fresh log.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2021, 01:42:08 pm »

Turn 8

If you don't post, you can miss your turn!

Acter Nobody
You offer to grant your blessing upon the village. The village elder seems incredulous, but more in the fact that he doubts your ability than your intentions and you are 'permitted to try'. You enter the village proper, and invoke Inspire Progress. The changes are not immediately obvious, but Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

A couple of events catch your notice. You see a group of purplefolk gathering with spears at the edge of the village, the elder informs you that they are preparing for a hunting trip. You also notice another spear-wielding person standing at the edge of a lake, apparantly trying to catch fish.

Aera
(Your turn was missed as you didn't post. See turn 7 to see what is currently happening for you.)

Lysirithanth
(Your turn was missed as you didn't post. See turn 7 to see what is currently happening for you.)

Max
You head back towards the trees with the intention of preparing a shovel. Your remaining woodcrafting adaption is on its last legs, but you try making up the difference using Analysis. This reveals that not all wood in this area is equal. You manage to find a branch that will serve as a tool handle easily enough, but the shovelhead proves to be more awkward as this is not a shape that the trees want to produce naturally.

Utimately you need to carve out that shape yourself by whittling the wood with a pointy rock. The process is a bit arduous, but you manage to perservere and end up with a functioning wood shovel with a flat edge. It might not be suitable for chipping at ice, but moving snow should be easier now.

Salem Monroe
You manage to remove a claw without too much trouble, and then make an attempt to figure out what else would be useful to harvest. The wings seem thin yet durable and mostly undamaged; and might be able to serve as a boat's sail with a bit of preparation. You are also able to get a few servicable cuts of meat, though it may not keep for long without proper preparation. Some parts of it might have alchemical uses, but without knowledge of alchemy the best you could really do is guess as to what else to take if you were so inclined.

The claw proves to be sharper and not much less dense than the stone, and before long you are able to carve out a proper boat before anything else can go wrong! Its only after you complete this task that it occurs to you that it might have been better to move to the water first and THEN make the boat. You'll need to actually bring it to the water now, but at least you can use it for carrying your new stuff.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2021, 07:06:31 pm »

Lets go explore the tundra looking for pingos, then.   If I find a handy one, start shoveling the snow off.   Keep an eye out for the machinations of the local gods.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:09:40 pm by Devastator »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2021, 07:42:20 pm »

Well yeah. We made it here so we didn't have to drag the tree all the way to the water in the first place!

Fortunately one of the Other Mes is a sailor. An unconventional sailor but a sailor non the less. I'll head over to the ocean and smoke the meat on the less flammable part of the shore, with some added sea salt for flavor. The sailor part doesn't really help here. After that I'll finish making the boat, which presumably the sailor part will help with.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2021, 02:51:57 am »

Extract the clay, build a kiln, and start making bricks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6