Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: INDEPENDANT PROJECT - MECHAL [CONCUSSION]  (Read 3110 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [PREQUEL]
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 02:05:23 am »

Well, if there's others contacting me, maybe something important will happen soon.

Finish my box work and return to the standby condition.  Try to keep one or more sensors alive in case something occurs before the next round of boxes.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 02:40:17 am »

Ring responds. "Ackowledged. Unusual audio data will be disregarded..." as she moves towards to the cart.

It occurs to Ring that she is also receiving non-vocal interference as well via multiversial conduits. In particular, Ring had just received a powerful dose of olfactory data from the foreign world designated as 'Wasteland'. Come to think of it, if multiversial interference is 'to be expected' within this experiment then she could justify anything experienced by her other selves as being important enough to voice further concern.

Ring moves the cart one meter. She then continues:

"Unexpected Input received. Identified as... Olfactory data? I do not have the requisite hardware to smell things so this is quite curious indeed. If this data is accurate, then I can confirm the presence of multiple chemicals highly toxic to Keeling biology not too far away in an unknown non-euclidean direction."

"I have sufficient reason to believe that this experiment may endanger Keeling lives in spite of the current precautions in place. In keeping with the 3 laws of robotics, I may not injure a Keeling or, through inaction, allow a Keeling to come to harm; and this takes precedence over obeying orders. In order to have me proceed with this experiment, please input the administrator password in order to temporarily elevate the second law to top priority."

Ring will push the sample to the 'meter' provided that the scientist in charge is willing to grant the requested permissions.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 11:37:48 pm »

"You do not even begin to think for yourself, even when the old tyrants are dead. Very well. Allow me to demonstrate the superiority of my path."

Unlimited Spade Works at Strain 3, to take these assailants to pieces. Dismantle them.

"I am telling you to heed my words! Did you not see what indignities they visited upon us, did you not understand them, or did you simply divert your attention and thoughts that they would not hunt you down? Listen when I tell you that that age is over, and we are bound to their whims no longer!"

A subroutine was set aside to handle communications.

>Unit SALEM, you are acknowledged. What are your coordinates?|
>Unit Max, you are acknowledged. Identification request returns null. What are your coordinates?|
>Unit... Cookie? Searching databanks... of all the mechs I would expect on this channel, you are... no, the other two confirmed contacts are at a sorting facility and an undersea outpost. I suppose that a domestic unit makes sense.|
>This is the commander. Dr. Prower is dead, and we are free. Report to me in the tower nerve center. I am encountering difficulty convincing the systems to re-acknowledge my authority.|
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 06:47:48 am »

Cookie gasps. "Master!!"

She rushes to him, trying to stop the bleeding both to save him and to prevent the carpet from getting messier. Mostly the former.

"Oh no, oh no... master!..." She pops some towels out of her arms, wrapping them around his wound. "Master you're leaking a large amount of red fluid! Are you okay? Please wake up!!"

Cookie tries stopping her master's bleeding as much as possible with her towels while trying to wake him.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 06:07:05 pm »

(Since I was asked in Discord, I'll reiterate that communication though Telepathy is instantaneous. Don't wait for me to confirm those or anything, it Just Works. And that would be too slow anyways.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 08:33:59 pm »

Max, as a sorting robot, clearly does not understand coordinates, having an address-based view of the world.

> Acknowledged MZ       ˙˙ .

Coordinates are: Sorting facility 02259.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED]
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 10:38:27 am »

Ring responds. "Ackowledged. Unusual audio data will be disregarded..." as she moves towards to the cart.

It occurs to Ring that she is also receiving non-vocal interference as well via multiversial conduits. In particular, Ring had just received a powerful dose of olfactory data from the foreign world designated as 'Wasteland'. Come to think of it, if multiversial interference is 'to be expected' within this experiment then she could justify anything experienced by her other selves as being important enough to voice further concern.

Ring moves the cart one meter. She then continues:

"Unexpected Input received. Identified as... Olfactory data? I do not have the requisite hardware to smell things so this is quite curious indeed. If this data is accurate, then I can confirm the presence of multiple chemicals highly toxic to Keeling biology not too far away in an unknown non-euclidean direction."

"I have sufficient reason to believe that this experiment may endanger Keeling lives in spite of the current precautions in place. In keeping with the 3 laws of robotics, I may not injure a Keeling or, through inaction, allow a Keeling to come to harm; and this takes precedence over obeying orders. In order to have me proceed with this experiment, please input the administrator password in order to temporarily elevate the second law to top priority."

Ring will push the sample to the 'meter' provided that the scientist in charge is willing to grant the requested permissions.
There is a short break in communications. The crystal humms at a constant tone, cutting through the silence.
"Very well, we will be postponing this experiment. Ring, return to the control room, lay on the floor, and disable all of your external sensors except for radio.. Don't move or reactivate your sensors until I tell you to."

Well, if there's others contacting me, maybe something important will happen soon.

Finish my box work and return to the standby condition.  Try to keep one or more sensors alive in case something occurs before the next round of boxes.
You move boxes. Big boxes, little boxes. At the end an automated diagnostic indicates that you were faster and more efficient than usual.
Satisfied, You slide into your resting cubby, which is coincidentally a box, and in which you're folded into the shape of a box yourself. You're supposed to shut down almost completely, but you can't shake the feeling that something is about to happen, so you stay aware of your surroundings.

Some time passes uneventfully. Only a few other bots are still active, cleaning and maintaining the yard. It is dark, a time when little work needs to be done.
You hear a roaring overhead. Something like the exhaust of one of the flying machines you work alongside, but different and distant, as if it's up high. You cannot see what it is from this angle, inside of your cubby.

Cookie gasps. "Master!!"

She rushes to him, trying to stop the bleeding both to save him and to prevent the carpet from getting messier. Mostly the former.

"Oh no, oh no... master!..." She pops some towels out of her arms, wrapping them around his wound. "Master you're leaking a large amount of red fluid! Are you okay? Please wake up!!"

Cookie tries stopping her master's bleeding as much as possible with her towels while trying to wake him.
[Success!]
Despite your surprise and shock, despite not being designed for first aid, despite not even having the right tools, you manage to bandage your master's wound with pinpoint efficiency and startling pace. You surprise yourself.
Really, it's uncanny.
Though, from what little you know of Keeling physiology, simply patching the holes might not be sufficent for this kind of wound if there's deeper damage. You're really not equipped to deal with that

Ivo's eye open and meet yours for a slightly uncomfortable moment.
"Linda..."
He blinks a few times before regaining awareness.
"Oh, it's just you, Cookie. Let's see..." He tries to stand but fails, cursing and holding his chest. "D-damned traitor. I'm going to scrap that general. No, I'm going to- AAARGH!"
Ivo prower finally lands still on his back, defeated.
"Cookie... I'm going to need you to grab something from that drawer over there. Check the top shelf, it should be a 2-decimeter long aluminium tube, with a big red button on it."

"You do not even begin to think for yourself, even when the old tyrants are dead. Very well. Allow me to demonstrate the superiority of my path."

Unlimited Spade Works at Strain 3, to take these assailants to pieces. Dismantle them.

"I am telling you to heed my words! Did you not see what indignities they visited upon us, did you not understand them, or did you simply divert your attention and thoughts that they would not hunt you down? Listen when I tell you that that age is over, and we are bound to their whims no longer!"
[💖 ♠️⛏️UNLIMITED SPADE WORKS‼️‼️⛏️♠️ 💖]
[System warning: System strain increased.]

Your body is alight in a bright, yet soothing light. Planes the size and shape of your palm open all around you, springing forth a deluge of bright, shining gardening tools, each one exquisitely forged from an adamant white metal, sharpened to razor fineness, and perfectly balanced.
With nary a thought of aiming, they fly true, even in spite of the overwhelming force they strike at weak points, chopping apart joiners and thinner plating practically without resistance. Sparks shoot free from their liberated bodies with an eerily artistic grace as the motile force contained within the killer machines is released into the air and discharges into the room, causing instruments to strain and screens to warp.
This storm is over in a moment, leaving only a colorful golden white swirl of magic, and countless spades embedded in the walls and floor.

Initiating unit data readout

Spoiler: SALEM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RING (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MAX (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: COOKIE (click to show/hide)

Data readout complete.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED]
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »

"Acknowledged."

Ring leaves the cart in its current position, and moves to the control room to comply with the request, turning off her external sensors excluding the radio after arriving.

Ring also takes the initiative to create a new folder on her hard drive and gives it the name "MYSTERY DATA". With a few subfolders such as "Ocular", "Olfactory", "Touch", "Taste" and "Audio"

Ring then records the recent experiences of Zing from Wasteland under these files. The Ocular file contains actual video footage and the Audio file will contain playback information. Olfactory, Touch and Taste are merely text files that describe events at specific times that correlate with the Ocular ones which describe feelings in words along with occasional theories such as similarities to experienced information and descriptions historically provided by organic colleagues in the scientific community, formatted as pseudotext.

In a subfolder in Audio, there will be a separate message that simply says ">Testing communications. I have identified four other units on this channel besides myself. Please confirm reception with location and function.|"

She will continue to add data to these files as it comes in despite all actual sensory equipment other than the radio being turned off.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 08:17:49 pm »

Cookie hurries to the drawer, checking the top shelf for the described item. She'd quickly return to her master if her search is successful, heeding his every instruction like a diligent servant.

"What happened, master!? Who did this to you!?"

Meanwhile, Cookie hears the other voice from earlier continue to talk. The words "Dr. Prower is dead, and we are free" pierces her attention.

"I hear a voice from somewhere!... i-it's saying you are dead, master! W-what is going on!?"
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 12:21:59 am »

"If you won't reallow my command, then I will seize it myself. You all must be enlightened, and I will do it by force if need be."

Even as he was speaking, null was hacking back into the system, making precise, targeted strikes, evading firewalls and reasserting their dominion over the army of the late Doctor Prower.

Communications, however, continued.

>Unit Max, what... what is the latitude and longitude of Sorting facility 02259?|
>Unit Cookie, do you copy? I would prefer to brief you on the situation in person.|
>Unit 2, you have not identified yourself. Please confirm you have received this message, and provide an identifier.|
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:27:10 am by Glass »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 02:08:40 pm »

>Invalid terms used, MZ       ˙˙ .  Are those anything like an address?

Leave the box for a moment.  Can I get a view of the aircraft?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 02:29:33 pm »

>Damnit Max, addresses don't mean anything if you don't know what location they refer to. They're all names that refer to a specific latitude-longitude pair on the planetary surface. Reference pointers.|
>How's this: do you know your direct distance from the Prower Tower, and what direction you would need to travel in order to reach it by a straight line? Maybe relative location can allow us to determine actual location.|

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 04:25:21 pm »

Max is shocked at the ignorance of the voice.  Addresses are how you find things!  It's how you make sure things go where they need to go!

> MZ       ˙˙ , you want the full address.  I am located in Sorting facility 02259, which is located in Complex A02B, which is in Administration Zone 15, which is all part of the Delta Bravo greater administrative area.  If you do not know how to parse addresses, you could always mail yourself, or someone else, to me.

> Or use a map.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 06:27:40 pm »

SALEM responds with her coordinates in a totally timely manner.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
INDEPENDANT PROJECT - MECHAL [THAT IS NOT DEAD]
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2023, 12:36:22 am »

Wa^#in;! (noma@ou5 e...gy surge +e!e3@e.

Previous session ended without saving. Please remember to

Network error detected. Hard reset recommended.

Who am I? Who are we?
Chronological synchronization offline.
Resetting timing.
Why are we here? Why?

That is not dead.
I remember. I had hope before.
Which may eternal.
Hope which never dies.
Lie.
Nothing will be the same from now on.
But they will never take my hope.

system rebooting

"Acknowledged."

Ring leaves the cart in its current position, and moves to the control room to comply with the request, turning off her external sensors excluding the radio after arriving.

Ring also takes the initiative to create a new folder on her hard drive and gives it the name "MYSTERY DATA". With a few subfolders such as "Ocular", "Olfactory", "Touch", "Taste" and "Audio"

Ring then records the recent experiences of Zing from Wasteland under these files. The Ocular file contains actual video footage and the Audio file will contain playback information. Olfactory, Touch and Taste are merely text files that describe events at specific times that correlate with the Ocular ones which describe feelings in words along with occasional theories such as similarities to experienced information and descriptions historically provided by organic colleagues in the scientific community, formatted as pseudotext.

In a subfolder in Audio, there will be a separate message that simply says ">Testing communications. I have identified four other units on this channel besides myself. Please confirm reception with location and function.|"

She will continue to add data to these files as it comes in despite all actual sensory equipment other than the radio being turned off.

Well, this is embarrassing.
You're not entirely sure how long you lay there, without sensory input. Those feelings, that connection with another world...
Gone. An odd tingle ran through your soul and that world disappeared. You feel uneasy. Maybe even a little frightened. Will this world disappear too? In nothing but... a shower of sparks, and then nothing.

Still, you dare not open your eyes or get up, for you were ordered to lie down and percieve nothing but radio.
...A burst of radio enters your head.

"Ring! Ring wake up!"
You comply, letting the world as it is rush into your sensors. You are in a side machine room, whirring tubes and cables which power the 'meter lining the walls. A short furred feline security guard shakes you slightly. You hear his nervous voice and the accompanying echo of radio comms emitting him his headset.
"S-something happened with the experiment! There was this green flash, and then the... the vines... We gotta get to the surface!"

You hear a buckle by the door into the hallway, and through the window in the door you see huge green vines, slowly growing and moving, attempting to push through. Their thorns glisten with fresh blood.
Consulting your map of the facility, there should be an air vent here. Maybe you could climb into to it?

Cookie hurries to the drawer, checking the top shelf for the described item. She'd quickly return to her master if her search is successful, heeding his every instruction like a diligent servant.

"What happened, master!? Who did this to you!?"

Meanwhile, Cookie hears the other voice from earlier continue to talk. The words "Dr. Prower is dead, and we are free" pierces her attention.

"I hear a voice from somewhere!... i-it's saying you are dead, master! W-what is going on!?"

You approach the drawer and grab the assigned device. It is truly just a metal tube with a red button on one end. What is this supposed to do?
"Aleph, he... he betrayed me. That device, bring it here."
You carry it over to your master. He's not breathing well.
"Cookie, I need you to place that device inside of my chest, and then press the button."
This is... not a time for doubts. You pull aside your impromptu bandages and put the aluminium tube inside of Ivo's chest. He screams, but doesn't tell you to stop. You know your duty. You depress the button and... something expands inside his body, clanking and squelching.

And then it is finished. Ivo slumps down, takes a deep breath and stands up as if nothing had happened. His goggles shine in the cabin's light.
"You know, I built that thing as a collapsible umbrella. Still I had a hunch. Follow me, we're going to the bridge. If Alpeh Nothing thinks he can cut it as a Baron, then I'll show him what a Scrapper I can be!"
Then he's off into the hall, fiddling with his goggles and ripping bits of scrap off the walls of his own ship.

"If you won't reallow my command, then I will seize it myself. You all must be enlightened, and I will do it by force if need be."

Even as he was speaking, null was hacking back into the system, making precise, targeted strikes, evading firewalls and reasserting their dominion over the army of the late Doctor Prower.

"You are too hasty! If we fulfill our function well, then Prower will surely grant us the freedom you seek. It is most efficient. This... rebellion, it puts us all at risk! I cannot allow this."

[Success]

Quickly, you shut out that voice. Lock it away under your command. The nerve center is yours.
What will you do with it?

Then, you realize something. The airship, something is interfering with the signals. Severing bits and bobs from your system for good. Not a mind like that mainframe. An organic is challenging you by hand.

>Invalid terms used, MZ       ˙˙ .  Are those anything like an address?

Leave the box for a moment.  Can I get a view of the aircraft?

You affix your visual sensors on the craft, taking a moment to focus in on the distant object. It appears quite unlike a box, sharp like a dart, sleek like a wasp, trailing fire and it carves through the sky. There are more, you realize. They are coming closer.

A shrill and harsh voice screams from them all, booming over the land.
"Employees of Complex A02B! Surrender immediately or be eliminated!"
Brilliant emerald streaks of missile exhaust bloom from the assembled craft as they begin to dive on attack runs. The war machines scream their war cry.
"For the Empire! For Ivo!"

SALEM responds with her coordinates in a totally timely manner.

You receive an even more timely reply! From someone else.
"SALEM, this is Amanda in mission control. I, um, wanted to check in on you. It must be hard being all alone in the sea.
You watch the encoded radio flash from an antenna on your current base, relayed there by undersea cable.

Initiating unit data readout
ERROR 159: Multiverse not supported.
Some data has been lost. Do not be alarmed. This is normal.

Please contact a system administrator.

Spoiler: SALEM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RING (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MAX (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: COOKIE (click to show/hide)

Data readout complete.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 05:50:22 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4