Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread.  (Read 7270 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 10:31:34 pm »

Hmm, they're supposed to be aware of their own branchination? That changes things a little from how I was envisioning it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 11:55:41 pm »

I'd recommend a bit more clarification about the Incindia magic system. The implication is that Incindia magic requires some special conditions such as genetics or expensive equipment or something in order to actually be used, to make it so that player characters cannot simply use magic knowledge from a more magic-rich world. (Unless that is sort of the point)

Also assuming that the whole 'also being other people in other worlds' thing is not counted as a supernatural ability for the purpose of being eligible for making an Incindia character on account of that being the whole game premise.

I'm fine with knowledge of magic, just not its function.  I haven't worked out the details, but basically only a small number of natives on that world have it, and it isn't immediately apparent who does and who does not.  Like genetics, but it takes years of training to go from 'almost no magic' to a useable amount, and thus most people don't waste it.

And naturally being people on other worlds wouldn't count as a supernatural ability.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 12:04:47 am »

Right then. Thus, the canon is probably something along the lines of: Magic from one world will not necessarily be usable in another world, on account of extreme differences in the laws of physics, local gods, and different energies that permeate the land (Or whatever other reason). For instance, the knowledge or ability to use magic in Mechal (Which is actually a requirement for players in that world) will be completely useless in Incindia.

The actual rule will be: What does and does not work in a world is determined by the creator of that world. I should add that to the first post somewhere.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 12:07:02 am »

Figures that magic is very setting-dependent. Mechal magic doesn't even really depend on knowledge to work, though practice helps.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 12:25:22 am »

Since we're on the topic, I'll note that it'll be relatively easy to translate most magics from other settings to Lands Adrift, but not immediate. Your character would still need to spend some time figuring out how to reproduce any spells.
Essentially: it's not that you get to take your magic with you, it's that magic in Lands Adrift is very flexible in output.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 12:26:59 am »

Do LA people have souls? :p

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 12:35:18 am »

I went on ahead and added the world lore to the first post. Please let me know if any changes need to be made. I'll be setting up the character application form soonish.

If you want certain fields to be on the character application form for your world, let me know.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 12:46:00 am »

Different fields for the form of your body and which powers you start with would be useful. For simplicity, I'll say for powers you get five points, and each power can cost somewhere between 1 and 3 points to buy, with the more points you spend bringing more raw power.

Hmm, and perhaps one for "purpose", which states what the robot was designed to do and acts as a skill boost to doing that thing.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 12:55:18 am »

Name, description, field of excellence, and reason for being there.  I'd like one or two more after it starts for something like 'Class Major', but that should be all.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 01:20:40 am »

No.

Oh, you meant Lands Adrift. That is different.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 01:29:04 am »

Probably, sure. And if they don't, someone can probably figure out a way to manufacture them.

If you want certain fields to be on the character application form for your world, let me know.
Species and description, and occupation and description, as well as a set of preferred bonuses and maluses for each, probably with a baseline of 2 bonuses each before adding bonus-malus pairs. I'm thinking of running my setting on 2d6 psuedo-RTD.
And, of course, name, appearance, and backstory.

Also, do people want a Discord to discuss this on? I have one where I've made a channel for this.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 03:14:19 pm »

So I've been reworking my world and I think it's more manageable if I had my digital world be the actual world, instead of it being like a world within another world. So here is my new world proposal:

World Name: System Zero

World Description: A purely digital world existing inside of a universal machine. The world when experienced from within is a landscape stretching infinitely in every direction (including upwards into space and downwards into the ground). There is a sun, moon, and stars in the sky that rotate around the universe, but are unreachable, existing beyond the boundless edges of the universe. There are a multitude of beings that inhabit the universe, both sentient and non-sentient, including a human-like species with a highly advanced society and a government that is attempting to bring absolute order to everything. Since the world is based on code run on a machine, it is occasionally subject to glitches and bugs occurring--however this is fairly normal, in fact many of the things that exist in the world were at one point or another some kind of code malfunction that became normalized over time.

Player Restrictions: Must be a being that exists within System Zero.

Character creation fields would include Name, Description, and Other. Still working some stuff out but I feel this is more manageable than my previous thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:23:08 am by MeimieFan88 »
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 05:15:00 pm »

I have replaced the old world with System Zero.

I think we are just about ready to open up character applications. Once I do that, we can actually attempt to start the game! Just to be 100% sure, make a post in this thread if your world is in a state where it is ready to accept applications.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 05:51:43 pm »

Lands Adrift is indeed ready for characters.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2021, 08:32:44 pm »

Okay... I have created the first draft of the character application. Please let me know if you think anything should be changed about it. Also, this is not the final version of this, so do not actually attempt to make a character yet. This post is outdated now.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:04:14 pm by Supernerd »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8