Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Design  (Read 2182 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 08:12:39 pm »

For a later revision, once we have the normal banana.

Spicy Banana
This banana is not just any banana, it is a Spicy Banana. When eaten it causes the eater's mouth to catch fire, allowing them to breath out gouts of flame and smoke until their taste buds finish melting. Of course once they get a drink of water they'll be ok, but any annoying enemies set on fire will be less ok.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 12:31:46 pm »

Quote from: Vote Ox
Hedge Mage (1) : Dustan Hache,
Jester (5) : Happerry, Doomblade, Rockeater, Chaotick21, TFF
Banana (4) : Happerry, Doomblade Rockeater, TFF
Novice Mechanic (1) : Nirur

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 01:35:45 pm »

After some clarification from the gm in discord and to draw attention to the possibilities of hedge mages and banshees respectively, I am drafting two spells.

Sparks: a spell for hedge mages to cast, spraying a shower of burning sparks in a cone in front of them. The range is short, but it can be used to start a fire and is much better at deterring than screaming alone.

Earsplitting wail:A spell for Banshees, this low level spell deals moderate damage to anything else in the same room as the caster By having the caster scream at the top of their lungs. This also affects allies, because as long as it has hearing, this spell can and will be able to do damage to whatever hears it from the sheer volume involved.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Revision
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 12:36:57 am »

Proposal: Jester
Difficulty: Normal
Result: 4+2=6, Average

Behold, a new schlub to get us phat loot! The Jester is a colorful character in as many ways as possible. The Jester has trained his sharp wit and fleet feet in many a court after insulting many a noble and dodging many an executioner's blade. He may not be the sneakiest character, but The Jester makes up for it in slipperiness.

The Jester's Starting Weapon is the Slapstick, a wooden rod with more reach than most one-handed melee weapons. Funny until it isn't.

The Jester has the Harlequin Legs Passive Ability, which guarantees successful bypassing of agility- and athletics-based traps once per floor.

Proposal: Banana
Difficulty: Hard
Result: (5+5)-1=9, Above Average

Bananas are a blessing for adventurers. Cheap, tasty, and yellow, the Banana has great appeal. Bananas can be used to recover a small bit of health, leaving a peel behind for the adventurer to utilize. The peel is capable of knocking over a single enemy and providing a short-duration stun. The peel can be recovered after clearing the room. Be careful not to slip on it yourself!

The Banana is Uncommon Loot.

It is the revision phase! You have two revisions!

Spoiler: Protagonist Caches (click to show/hide)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Revision
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 01:44:00 am »

Reposting these for reference.

Hero Sandwich
When the NPC eats this banana bread and meat sandwich, they feel more like a hero, allowing them to heal (ignore) some of their wounds and giving them a rush of strength to face the next chamber ahead.

Rusty Throwing Knives
The lockjaw is a feature, not a bug. Hammered out of old metal spikes to give them a new life, about as effective as the user, but they're very pointy.

Quote from: Votey Box
Hero Sandwich (1): Happerry
Rusty Throwing Knives (1): Happerry

And as was discussed last phase, this is what I'm voting for.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 10:36:36 am »

Neither of those are revisions. That said, I have one.

Banana, revision Cronch: Intact bananas can heal a bit extra in exchange for removing the peel as a usable item. Pirates especially love eating them whole! (Alternate use option)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 08:34:13 pm »

Courtesy of Doubloon:

Elvis Sandwich

A peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich, this hearty sandwich makes the consumer  feel full and whole, and burst into inspiring song to lift the spirits of their party and scare off enemies.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 11:53:15 am »

Elvis Sandwich (1): Rockeater
Rusty Throwing Knives (2): Happerry, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:42 pm »

Elvis Sandwich (2): Rockeater, Doomblade
Rusty Throwing Knives (3): Happerry, Rockeater, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:25 am »

Elvis Sandwich (2): Rockeater, Doomblade
Rusty Throwing Knives (4): Happerry, Rockeater, Doomblade, TFF
Banana, revision Cronch (1): Dustan Hache
Iron Torch (1): TFF
I personally think the Elvis sandwich is a bit too ambitious for a revision.

Iron Torch: Upgrades the wooden torch with a metal body so it can bonk as well as cast light. The torch burns a bit shorter as a result.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 10:30:43 am »

I concur that the elvis sandwich is a bit hard. Bananna Cronch is good for extra health, but I think iron torch is the better option for rev 2.

Elvis Sandwich (1): Rockeater
Banana, revision Cronch (1): Dustan Hache
Iron Torch (2): TFF, Doomblade

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 11:32:28 am »

Elvis Sandwich (0):
Banana, revision Cronch (2): Dustan Hache, Rockeater
Iron Torch (2): TFF, Doomblade
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 02:32:20 pm »

Elvis Sandwich (0):
Banana, revision Cronch (2): Dustan Hache, Rockeater
Iron Torch (3): TFF, Doomblade, Dustan Hache

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Planning
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:36 am »

Proposal: Rusty Throwing Knives
Difficulty: Normal
Result: (5+3)+1=9, Above Average

Everyone knows you can make any metal object into a bladed weapon with sufficient application of force. After hammering some spikes flat and leaving them outside for a few weeks we have successfully created Rusty Throwing Knives. These throwing knives aren't really aerodynamic, but they fling real good, and stick even better. The judicious application of rust also causes Lockjaw in victims, locking their jaw, obviously, and briefly preventing communication past angry painful grunting.

Rusty Throwing Knives are Rare Loot Item since we can just beat spikes into shape and neglect them for a bit whenever we need to sneak more into dungeon chests.

Proposal: Iron Torch
Difficulty: Very Easy
Result: (5+4)+2=11, Masterwork

It was always weird that the torches were made of wood. I mean, how did they hold the batteries? And what about the heat from the bulb? By swapping the wood casing to iron, we've made ourselves a light-casting device that is also heavy enough in the hand to make one feel extremely confident in their ability to beat asses. And that confidence is well-placed! Iron Torches can be used to illuminate and eliminate alongside one-handed weapons or weapon-like objects or weapon-like object-like entities with ease!

The Iron Torch completely replaces the old things. Turns out someone thought they were the classical torch and set them all on fire.

IT IS NOW THE PLANNING PHASE!

You have to decide who to throw into the maw of the dungeon! Remember, they enter only with their starter weapon, natural skills, and lack of the concept of self-preservation.

Spoiler: Protagonist Caches (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:16:39 pm by Man of Paper »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Planning
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 09:59:19 am »

Jester: (0)
NPC: (1) Doomblade
Pages: 1 [2] 3