Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Design  (Read 2183 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread/Design
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:18:09 pm »

An Adventurer Is You!

Welcome to Rogue Race! Your only goal is to repeatedly send peons into dungeons run by other dudes in order to purloin all the loot and get a "modest" finder's fee for yourselves! It's the Design Phase! Discuss with your teammates what kind of road you wish to go down and get a general theme for your team. Will you be D&D-style adventurers? Borderlands Vault Hunters? Doomguys? You are restricted only by your own preferences! And your team's majority preference, obviously.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or on the Discord linked in the core thread!

Spoiler: Protagonist Caches (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:22:56 pm by Man of Paper »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Race - Protagonist's Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 11:21:13 pm »

Given our initial team and their starting weapon, i propose we go the X-com route with this and Try to level up a few NPCs into random classes by sending them to fight monster encounters, because what better way to turn nobodies into somebodies than trial by fire?

As an alternative path if someone else joins in, we could create a new caster class called Banshee, and train our fists of fury wielding nobody to turn that confused screaming into a lethal weapon, as opposed to merely unnerving the enemy!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 11:44:04 pm »

Carnival master

Dungeons are conquered not by force, but by tricks. So we hired a bunch of carnies! They know cool tricks like rope usage, how to use fire, and how to perform basic magic tricks! Maybe we:ll get a mime in the lot if we're lucky.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 11:07:04 am »

Will write a banana at some past point

Banana

The greatest 2 in one boost we could have found in the market, supply a small boost of energy when eaten, and have a peal known to be used for tripping enemies making them easier to handle.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:47:35 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 12:11:52 pm »

Jester

Nimble and acrobatic, jesters are good at dancing around courts and dungeon traps alike, and can tell jokes to raise morale and distract enemies.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 12:50:04 pm »

I wouldn't mind doing the jester, but here's an idea to start poking at magic.

Hedge Mage
These young men and women from the country side have the gift of magic, but no training or education on how to use magic beyond their own fumbling efforts. As such, they have learned their arts by trial and error, and also learned that it's often best to carry a big stick and hit people with it instead of going for the magic first.

Thematically I think we should be an adventuring guild in a somewhat schizotech world, so there's room for wizards, mimes, and gun toting bounty hunters.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:06:19 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 01:25:21 pm »

Well, if we have to go some route other than my own two suggestions, I vote for hedge mages.
It's close enough to the other two plans that it would fit.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 03:49:22 pm »

So as discussed in the discord, with a view towards using the NPC at least once here in the first turn, doing the Jester in the second turn, and then the hedge mage turn three-ish, I'm going to vote for the Jester and the Jester's Banana.

Hedge Mage (1) : Dustan Hache
Jester (1) : Happerry
Banana (1) : Happerry

Once we have the banana we'll have a food item and be able to use it to make other food items.

Like this one, which I'd like to revise this turn for the NPC along with Doomblade's not yet posted Rusty Throwing Spikes/Knives (so it can be revised from the spikes).

Common NPC Drop : Hero Sandwich
When the NPC eats this sandwich, they feel more like a hero, allowing them to heal (ignore) some of their wounds and giving them a rush of strength to face the next chamber ahead.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 03:58:02 pm »

Rusty Throwing Knives: The lockjaw is a feature, not a bug. Hammered out of old metal spikes to give them a new life, about as effective as the user, but they're very pointy.

Hedge Mage (1) : Dustan Hache
Jester (2) : Happerry, Doomblade
Banana (2) : Happerry, Doomblade

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 04:36:24 pm »

I would like to point out that, thanks to information in the core thread, we know that the dungeons start out with hordes of rats as their main enemy. We should take advantage of this fact by investing in AOE, not evasion. for this reason, i ask that you ignore and change votes from banana, at least until they have something larger that isnt a boss fight. maybe a mammoth.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 05:06:03 pm »

Hedge Mage (0) :
Jester (3) : Happerry, Doomblade, Rockeater
Banana (4) : Happerry, Doomblade, Dustan Hache, Rockeater
[/quote]
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 05:16:13 pm »

Novice Mechanic
Hopefuls who aspire towards steampunk shenanigans, easily identified by their large goggles and grease-stained clothes. They like to disassemble or adjust traps for their own use, and carry an oversized wrench which doubles as a weapon. Their trap preference may land them in trouble at times, leaving their defenses down while they study mechanical marvels.

Hedge Mage (0) :
Banana (4) : Happerry, Doomblade, Dustan Hache, Rockeater
Novice Mechanic (1) : Nirur

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 05:34:28 pm »

Rockeater, you misread the bolded text I am telling you not to vote for banana. I am not changing my vote TO banana. My vote is still on hedge mages

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 05:37:39 pm »

Hedge Mage (1) : Dustan Hache,
Banana (3) : Happerry, Doomblade Rockeater
[/quote]

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 05:49:44 pm »

Hedge Mage (1) : Dustan Hache,
Jester (4) : Happerry, Doomblade, Rockeater, Chaotick21
Banana (3) : Happerry, Doomblade Rockeater

Pages: [1] 2 3