Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive  (Read 11370 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2021, 04:02:38 am »

Quote from: ThoughtSlime
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (0)
[Simple]Kovask: (0)
[High-Moderate to Hard]Barrier Crab: (0)
[Moderate] Medusa (3) 10ebbor10, TFF, Doomblade
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Noble crab(Tric's version) (4) DGR, TricMagic, Maxim, Rockeater
[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (2) Flabort, Taricus,
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2021, 09:31:13 am »

[Moderate] Medusa (4) 10ebbor10, TFF, Doomblade, Taricus
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Noble crab(Tric's version) (4) DGR, TricMagic, Maxim, Rockeater
[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (1) Flabort
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2021, 11:58:08 am »

Ugh back in a tie? Let's fix that.
[Moderate] Medusa (5) 10ebbor10, TFF, Doomblade, Taricus, Flabort
[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (0)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2021, 12:06:34 pm »

I was actually willing to compromise and go for the Grasshopper, but I guess that's not an option. Still. Here's a Rozer Revision to help with our big honking fire Issue.
Rozer Flame Foam production An additional variant of the chemicals produced by the Rozer, this material is a fast foaming substance which can expand from a single drop to a large glob of flame retarding foam, which hardens and forms a solid insulating surface after a few seconds.
Murphy A being designed to channel bad luck, it is blind, deaf, weak, and constantly in pain. Therefore any Grub which randomly evolves into it has some level of bad luck. It's body is designed to amplify that, incorporating numbers, symbols, and motifs believed to be signs of misfortune. The main feature of this creature, its purpose you could say, is its ability to direct this Misfortune using its psychic powers, and amplify what is normally almost undetectable to a level where it goes from a statistical fluke of bad luck to a clearly unnatural phenomenon, effectively crushing a target under the weight of all the curses the Misfortune Beast has been made to bear as everything goes wrong for the target.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:32:57 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2021, 01:08:25 pm »

I really really hope you have revisions line up you five. Really really really. Do you? Also when it gets killed by acid and liquid plastic and robot guns I'm going to laugh.

Thinking on it.. I'm also going to feel sad for our grubs when the toxic fumes fill the tunnels and force the grubs out into the cruel world above, where there are never enough masks for them to ever receive any. Or when the underground creatures die from lack of air despite the Medusa. At this point I'm listing the things that can go wrong. In the hope that DB or TFF breaks off for the crab.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:14:56 pm by TricMagic »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2021, 01:24:49 pm »

I really really hope you have revisions line up you five. Really really really. Do you? Also when it gets killed by acid and liquid plastic and robot guns I'm going to laugh.

Thinking on it.. I'm also going to feel sad for our grubs when the toxic fumes fill the tunnels and force the grubs out into the cruel world above, where there are never enough masks for them to ever receive any. Or when the underground creatures die from lack of air despite the Medusa. At this point I'm listing the things that can go wrong. In the hope that DB or TFF breaks off for the crab.

Toxic fumes filling tunnels is a far greater problem for the Noble crab than the Medusa.
Medusa will ground nearby toxins, purifying the air.
The noble crab relies on displacing the air, something which is problematic because air has a tendency to mix. Outside the shelters the volume of air needed to keep displacing toxic air is way too large to be practical.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:29:09 pm by 10ebbor10 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2021, 01:35:24 pm »

Toxic fumes filling tunnels is a far greater problem for the Noble crab than the Medusa.

I note this is with the assumption of the Noble Crab gaining control over it's own gas. And the air it produces is breathable, unlike the toxic gas. If one were to create a support creature.

Why not. Not like it could hurt.

Paralyst

The simple grub enters into an egg. And doesn't come out. Instead the shell hardens and pores form, and it begins producing a parasitic goop that other grubs feast upon. This then translates to their evolved forms eating of it as the Paralyst grows larger. The parasites rest within their bodies and scrubs foriegn chemicals/organisms while promoting healing via the creation of scabs. Eventually the Paralyst ripens, and is eaten by an alpha creature, granting them greatly enhanced healing and scrubbing of foreign influences.

The Paralyst is a support organism meant to confer an advanced healing factor and infect the creatures that eats' of it's body.(and goop being it's blood.) The parasites get it's nutrients from what the creature(s) eats, and breaks down other foreign chemicals/organisms for itself.

The above design is Hard.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:07:56 pm by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2021, 01:50:04 pm »

I've been convinced. The medusa does the stuff I want, thanks Ebbor.
[Moderate] Medusa (6) 10ebbor10, TFF, Doomblade, Taricus, Flabort, DGR
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Noble crab(Tric's version) (3) TricMagic, Maxim, Rockeater
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2021, 02:12:22 pm »

[Moderate] Medusa (6) 10ebbor10, TFF, Doomblade, Taricus, Flabort, DGR
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Noble crab(Tric's version) (2) Maxim, Rockeater
[Hard]Paralyst: (1) TricMagic

Not like their are negative dice this game, just effectiveness.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2021, 04:10:10 pm »

Design Phase 2 - Omega

Medusa Crab
[Efficacy: 6]
-Evolution Chance: 35%
-Incidence Rate: 30%
 -Available Evolutions:
 -- Medusa+ 100%
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
-Description: The Medusa is the first true return to one of the many important features of the old forms of splendor: legs. Six legged and striding like a demigod over its former siblings, the Medusa is, comparatively speaking, a very tough cookie. Four of its legs act as its primary means of locomotion, while the front pair feature grasping pincers of not inconsiderable strength.

The medusa has no mouth of its own. Rather, from a soft section of its back, the medusa is constantly budding out grub-like polyps. These polyps are semi-indepedent, with their own isolated neural and gastric structure, but a shared (if gated) circulatory system. The polyps have mouths and simple eyes, and are capable of feeding when the Medusa offers them meals from its claws. The polyps produce a unique binding secretion: a spray of misty organic vapor that binds and encapsulates a number of dangerous chemicals and toxic compounds. It’s not a universal agent by any means, but it does serve well as an emergency shower.

The misty spray hardens into a resin after accreting on a surface, and after further drying becomes a shell-like layer of smooth material - potentially quite colorful depending on the metallic ions it may have captured. This effect is used by the Medusa to build up their carapace with a thick layer of this inert material, harvested from their polyps, applied liberally, and psionically nudged into an even coat over the shell - greatly thickening a native carapace whose primary purpose is structural.

The polyps themselves, thanks to their semi-isolated systems, can be removed if they become damaged or infested, or if they need to be distributed to other members of the swarm to help reduce a region’s toxicity. Granted, if the other members of the swarm don’t have some form of pinchers, this means holding the polyps in the mouth, which can present some side issues. Detached polyps will die over time, but can function for relatively extended periods after being removed.

The Medusa has simple and dim vision, similar to that of an ordinary grub, but its psionic senses are very modestly increased to keep pace with its increased speed.

Medusa Crab+
-Evolution Chance: NaN
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
-Description: The elite Medusa has only a few changes in the primary organism’s physiology. The legs are a little stockier, the body a bit larger, the forelimbs stronger with spiked claws and increased crushing strength, but no major alterations. The polyps, however, are considerably more aggressive. Their mouths have been upgraded with rows of small but tough teeth for grinding, and a powerful serrated radula. In combat, adrenal secretions from the Medusa will cause systematic necrosis of the buds of the oldest tumors, causing them to drop off and wriggle towards the target, attaching themselves like leeches and drilling into the enemy with their radula. Upon death, necromones produced by the Medusa cause rapid necrosis of the soft pad which produces the polyps and drives the remaining polyps into a frenzy, immediately detaching all of them in a suicidal burst.

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 2 revisions to spend.

TURNTURNTURN
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:49 pm »

Rozer Revision: Prehensile Tails
The Rozer spouts three segmented limbs on it's backside behind it's specialized chitin cuticles. These tail-like limbs have jointed exoskeletons up to half-ways, with razor-bladed edges for chipping plates of chitin off, and then the other half are much more flexible but much less protected, able to curl around objects to move them into place or shove them aside. It's brain power is moderately increased to handle the manipulation of these limbs, as well as more precisely placing plating to more effectively cover unprotected allies or form more durable structures.

It also lets it grab excrement and throw it.

Rozer Revision: Nuclear Energy
There are many materials toxic to a Rozer. Particularly metals, but also other soil minerals and gasses in the air. A hardened digestive lining is formed to prevent them from harming the Rozer, and a second stomach is formed free of digestive enzymes - rather, toxic materials and waste of no metabolic worth is routed here, and put under great pressure until it starts to create an ongoing nuclear reaction of random elements fusing into denser ones - improperly controlled fusion in a nuclear pile. This produces a great deal of heat, while also consuming rock and soil so that it doesn't need to be hauled away. The Rozer absorbs most of this heat through it's blood, and the increased heat and pressure radiates it's blood outward, where some of the heat is dissipated out of it's shell and excretions. The rest of the heat causes a metabolic hyper-state, where the Rozer moves faster with more powerful bursts, giving it the energy to eat more. This feeds more material into the fusion reaction, continuing it and eventually causing a critical mass to be reached - upon which, the Rozer has two options: it blasts all of it's plating off and vents copious amounts of molten hot goo, stopping the reaction and then excreting out the super-dense granule of radioactive rock, OR, it goes critical, detonating in a nuclear blast that wipes out nearby enemies.

Medusa Revision: Polyp Utility
A polyp, once removed from the Medusa it was borne from, has a very limited life cycle. This revision aims to increase that by giving it additional functionality - they gain retractable limbs resembling the pudgy limbs of Tardigrades which can aid in their ability to keep up with the rest of the swarm once detached, so that they need not necessarily be carried. Their circulatory system is improved upon with a redundant slightly more independent system, so that their eventual decay is postponed. The binding secretion they produce is also made slightly more sticky so that it can also be used to stick their own bodies to the surface of a faster moving unit should their own legs be insufficient. These improvements are also enhanced in the polyps of the Medusa Crab+, especially the retractable legs, giving them increased speed with which to chase down and attach to prey.

Medusa Revision: Polyp Reattachment
The necrotized tail of a detached polyp gains a small healing factor, capable of turning into a parasitic bundle of razor sharp nerves and veins that writhe about seeking for a host to sink into, where they slice into the host's vascular system and merge into it, allowing a medusa crab to re-attach a polyp to itself, or for a polyp to be bound to another member of the swarm, where it symbiotically shares it's nutrients with it's host, or leeches them out. Without the medusa crab's specialized neural and immune system, polyps attached to other species will still die much sooner. Further, polyps which have been detached due to over-saturation of toxins or an infestation of disease or parasites do not have enough metabolism or energy to regrow enough to be re-attached.

Quote from: Thoughtslime
Dozer Prehensile Tails: (1) Flabort
Dozer Fusion Energy: (0)
Medusa Polyp Utility: (0)
Medusa Polyp Reattachment: (1) Flabort
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:28:56 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2021, 05:19:01 pm »

Grub Revision: Improve Evolution
Though an advancement in digestion, the grub gains even more energy and nutrition from what it eats, improving their survival, and hence evolution rate due to more energy for it.

Grub Revision: Hovering
Through the addition of a psionic resonance into the epidermis layer, psionically connected to the grubs core, the grub itself gains the ability to exert telekinetic force near it's body. This can be used to lift themselves to hover along the ground, as well acceleration over the ground the hover above. Make no mistake, it isn't any better than the walking some creatures perform, but a grub can reach speeds as high as a runner by exerting force downward to keep them lifted, and using that to slide by pushing themselves. Issue is a bit obvious though, stopping and speeding up is both slow, and crashing tends to rip a grub apart on impact due to a lack of chitin to take the grinding blow. It's hovering though, and decent for moving at walking speed, which is much faster than crawling. Just don't expect them to cross any ravines if there is nothing beneath them, or for such a thing to actually hurt an enemy.

[/u]

More evolutions, or hovering to grant our future units a useful skill. Given scouts are next turn, having it ready can be useful in reducing difficulty further. Honestly if you want grasshoppers, this would go a long way to helping. And any flight unit would appreciate it.

Rozer Revision: Heatproof Foamceramic Production

A revision to the Rozers, this gives their slime production the ability to produce a type of foam made up of certain ceramic structures. As it sets quickly it will harden just like the slime normaly does, but this foam acts as a suburp insulating material, able to handle an ridiculous amount of heat while staying cool. In a formation of foam/plate/foam/plate outside heat won't be an issue. The foam's viscosity can also be adjusted on production. This pretty much replaces the slime for the most part outside of certain situations, and due to it's makeup can block gas from passing through once put together and set. It can also double as armor against the environment for a Rover if left to dry due to being produced from the pores on the skin, and grubs can make use of it too if applied properly and left to set.(Note as environmental armor, it allows some protection from acid rain for a time, but this will corrode it. It is not suited to long-term or for battles. And only reason grubs can use it is because they do have some intelligence and can be ordered to sit still so it sets properly and just needs to be applied. Other creatures can receive it too, but would likely need a Rozer+ to apply it properly as Rozers don't have the brains for the different body types.)

Quote from: Mutabox
Improve Evolution: ()
Hovering: (1) TricMagic
Heatproof Foam: (1) TricMagic
Medusa Polyp Reattachment: (1) Flabort

Flabort. Rozers are dumb. And those revisions to them are mostly slated for improving wht their structures protect anyway. Foams flabort.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2021, 05:20:28 pm »

Medusa Crab mist manipulation:
The medusa crab already uses psionics to nudge the resin that forms on their bodies around to form an even coat. By upgrading this the Medusa can manipulate its mists, restricting their movement or directing them onto a structure and smoothing the resulting resin. Not useful in combat at all, but it lets the Medusa coat our hive structures in its resin, making them more resistant to corrosion, and generally tougher.
Rozer pincers:
The Rozer is a builder unit first and foremost, thus we will equip it with two pincer limbs it can use to manipulate its environment more easily. They also let it do some digging without eating the material. These pincers aren't too sharp, but they're shaped for carrying stuff and digging, and can be brought together to form a surface upon which to carry loose material out of a hole.
My Power armor arms race

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:56 pm »

Quote from: Mutabox
Hovering: (1) TricMagic
Heatproof Foam: (1) TricMagic
Medusa Polyp Reattachment: (0)
Medusa Mist manipluation: (1) Flabort
Rozer Pincers: (0)

Flabort. Rozers are dumb. And those revisions to them are mostly slated for improving wht their structures protect anyway. Foams flabort.
Agree to disagree. Slimes chitin plate over Tric's face.
The Cyan Menace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2021, 05:46:04 pm »

Of note, we can spend the Medusa's mutagenic potential to grant the Grub an extra point of MP. As well as any children, like the Medusa+. Children also have an easier time developing the locked organisms traits. In short, the grub can get hovering and evo up, and hover can be applied to new evos we make, or upgraded more easily. Given a scout is upcoming, it would be nice to have. And flying squid if we want.

More particular, the creation of Hydra, a creature that has multiple heads and when you cut one off, it grows back. And the detached head becomes a snake, hence fitting the legend. We even have the Node system setup for it. With the boost, it will be much easier to do, yeah? And Snakes that just glide across the ground at silly speeds eating everything.

I Like This Idea!(in case you can't tell)
3 MP is spent, Locking the Medusa into our tree. In return, the Grub gets 1 MP, as do Children like the+. Children also have an easier time developing related traits.

Grub>Medusa>Hydra

The Medusa's lower body regresses into that of a snake, even as it's psionic power grows. It forms scales as armor to improve it's movement across the ground, and begins exerting the dormant Hovering of the Grubs. Combined this makes them quite fast and slippery. And then they grow, and grow, and grow. The head and arms are lost as the Hair becomes 9 snake heads splitting from the main body. The body absorbs the poison into it's blood and stomach acid, and gathers in the 9 heads' fangs, and scales are fully developed. Each head develops a nose and eyes like a snake, and the jaw fully forms it's fangs as the evolution completes. What stands is a creature with deceptive speed, making full use of hovering and their scaled grip to dart across the battlefield and strike quickly. Their psionic sense has been split into each head, and has actually shrunk, and the nodes and ganglia that make up it's processing are now in each head, and the heart of the creature in it's sternum where the heads meat and converse. It's control over the mists is such that nothing around it is spared from becoming deeper scales, but is honestly not really that improved, just that there are 9 of them. Of note is that the Hydra can often have arguments and seek to bite one another and rip them off their neck, when this happens(Or Omega Queen demands it), the head detaches to the ground, and the regenerative power of the Hydra shows. A new head grows where the old resided, and the old head forms into a subservient snake to stride across the battlefield with the same grace as the hydra. These Snakes have the same basic abilities of the Hydra heads, though lose some if not most of their regenerative ability, and have nowhere near the psionic senses due to being only one among many.

Grub>Medusa>Hydra>Dragon
The hydra begins to bicker endlessly among themselves, eventually splitting into 9 Snakes and fighting each other.
The Victor devours them all and Their very heart, gaining their psionic might and mass to become a Dragon.
The Dragon has ridiculous psionic senses, and enough power to fly through the sky. This also extends to their control over the mists, giving them an untold control over the poisons of the battlefield. Their long bodies twirl through the sky and crash and rip apart those caught by their coils on the ground, and their fiece fight with their siblings have bestowed upon it unmatched regenerative ability. Killing a Dragon's 10 hearts is no small feat. 9 are placed along it's body merged with the nodes of it's brain and one of the psionic cores, the ganglia stretching beneath it's ridiculous scales, and the 10th from the hydra in located in the head, a true brain with a developed psionic mesh overseeing it's movement and sight. A dragon's primal intelligence is no small thing, though only due to the scale of it's nodes and brain. The large eyes at the front of it's snout, huge teeth from it's Snake days, and highly poisonous body to anything that enters, is almost an afterthought in comparison to it's physical might.

Plan: Evolved for Hovering
Use the Medusa's Mutageinc Potential to Preform a Lesser Mutation.
Improve Evolution Revision for Grubs.
Hovering Revision for Grubs.

Quote from: Mutationbox
Hovering: ()
Heatproof Foam: ()
Medusa Polyp Reattachment: (0)
Medusa Mist manipluation: (1) Flabort
Rozer Pincers: (0)

Evolved for Hovering: (1) TricMagic

Plans, for those who ant to do two revisions to grub. As a scout is up next turn, Hovering can be improved, reducing difficulty. In more important news, it makes Grubs FASTA, and allows more to evolve out of that stage. And the abilities a skin-level telekinetic boost offers can be twisted into improved strength, better defense, or skating speed across the ground. Or leaping and gliding on it, which is what it offers flying scouts. Much easier to go airborn and stay up, which means adding chitin is easier due to less concern for weight. Or those garsshoppers everyone was tying things up with.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:07:21 pm by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13