Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive  (Read 11345 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2021, 01:39:35 pm »

Quote from: Antifool Box
Grubbin Punishment: (2) TricMagic, T2E
What's In the Crater?: (3) Flabort,10e10, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2021, 01:47:22 pm »

I'd ask why you are voting that way. Then again, you think my plan is foolish and that one genius?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2021, 02:19:19 pm »

A. I voted and agreed with you before.
B. You really need to stop doing that.
C. We need to see if the Crabs worth something, I trust Draig that if the unit would be effective but in insufficient numbers we would know, and the enemy greatest lead on us is 2, it very recovereble and considering we are not even gonna fight the enemy this round it's the best time for experimentation.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2021, 02:28:47 pm »

C meanwhile is our greatest lead. Why risk it?

Glowing Crater (0/4): 20 Symphalian Crabs, 6 Stymphalian Crab+, 50 Medusa, 162 Aeroplanar, 100 Aeroplanar+, 48 Rozer, 650 Grubs, 180 Grub+

48 Rozer to shelter 76 crabs 830 Grubs. 906 total. Just counting grubs, 17 grubs per Rozer tunnel... Compared to my 680 grubs, and 168 rozer. Not counting the Rozer+ supporting them, and crabs. 4 grubs per Rozer. (Maybe that's a bit much, but a 4 times increase in shelter-building time does not make a speedy army. Why send any at all in that instance? A Nomadic plan would suit that rank of force better.)

Seriously, it's so painful to me seeing so few rozers. At that level they are a hinderance, not a help. And without a single Rozer+ to direct better building the quality will likely suffer as well. It would be better off just assigning them to the desert. They're too slow otherwise.

Rereading what we are facing.

The Glowing Crater: Kilometers across, with ridges like a mountain range, this crater home to strange lights that form and fade without rhyme or reason. They connect periodically to the crater's surface with blue-white arcs of electricity, and when they do space and gravity go mad. Stone rips free in a climactic rush of splintering rubble, whirling to orbit the mote like a newborn planet for just a moment - before smashing back into the crater with the force of a cannon-shot and breaking free more sections to begin the dance anew. This process will continue for seconds or minutes, until, as quickly as it began, the mote fades and all is still again.

So, not as flat as I thought? Which makes the Rozers a tried and true method of creating shelter. And this time without the reactions making it hazards. We can make use of the mountains to build homes within for rest, greatly easing the journey. Which is the same argument which got the Rozers made in the first place. Not sending them in sufficient number is a bit weird. Not even sending 10-15 Rozer+ with them is weirder still, as you can't say you are testing the terrain when half their potential don't even show up. Sufficient numbers should see us advance quite quickly, and by next turn I expect us to be well ahead in the zone by the time they finally reach it.. This isn't a case where we meet in the middle. Last turn's forces are ridiculously suited to the area.

I'm not really one for dipping our toes in the water when we are suited up to dive right in and see how deep it is.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:16:23 pm by TricMagic »

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2021, 11:10:20 pm »

Quote from: Antifool Box
Grubbin Punishment: (2) TricMagic, T2E
What's In the Crater?: (4) Flabort,10e10, Rockeater, TFF

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2021, 09:47:13 am »

Quote from: What's In the Crater?
Misted Ravines (3/4): 250 Medusa, 108 Medusa+, 50 Aeroplanar, 160 Rozer, 100 Rozer+, 100 Grubs, 120 Grub+

Desert of Mirrors (1/4): 37 Stymphalian Crabs, 12 Stypmhalian Crab+, 120 Medusa, 69 Medusa+, 100 Aeroplanar, 68 Aeroplanar+, 260 Rozer, 142 Rozer+, 850 Grubs, 180 Grub+

Glowing Crater (0/4): 20 Symphalian Crabs, 6 Stymphalian Crab+, 50 Medusa, 162 Aeroplanar, 100 Aeroplanar+, 48 Rozer, 650 Grubs, 180 Grub+

250+120+50=420/468Medusa
108+69=177/177 Medusa+

50+100+162=312 Aerplanar
68+100=168 Aerplanar+

37+20=57 Stymphalian Crab
12+6=18 Stymphalian Crab+

160+260+48=468/468 Rozer
100+142=242/252 Rozer+

100+850+650=1600/1600 Grubs
120+180+180=480/480 Grub+

... I have no words. I am glad I spotted it.  Flabort, you may want to add the missing numbers.

Quote from: What's In the Crater?{v2}
Misted Ravines (3/4): 298 Medusa, 88 Medusa+, 50 Aeroplanar, 125 Rozer, 80 Rozer+, 100 Grubs, 120 Grub+

Desert of Mirrors (1/4): 37 Stymphalian Crabs, 12 Stypmhalian Crab+, 120 Medusa, 69 Medusa+, 100 Aeroplanar, 68 Aeroplanar+, 260 Rozer, 142 Rozer+, 850 Grubs, 180 Grub+

Glowing Crater (0/4): 20 Symphalian Crabs, 6 Stymphalian Crab+, 50 Medusa, 20 Medusa+, 162 Aeroplanar, 100 Aeroplanar+, 83 Rozer, 30 Rozer+ 650 Grubs, 180 Grub+

Added missing Medusa, adjusted Rozer numbers and added the ones missing. 200 Rozers is enough. And 80 rozers with 30 + is better than a mere 46. Also minor adjustment of the Medusa+ to give the Glowing Crater some in case they are needed.

Quote from: Numbers Checkbox
Grubbin Punishment: (1) T2E
What's In the Crater?: (4) Flabort,10e10, Rockeater, TFF
What's In the Crater?{v2}: (1) TricMagic
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:41:44 am by TricMagic »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2021, 11:59:45 am »

... I have no words. I am glad I spotted it.  Flabort, you may want to add the missing numbers.

Quote from: What's In the Crater?{v2}
Misted Ravines (3/4): 298 Medusa, 88 Medusa+, 50 Aeroplanar, 125 Rozer, 80 Rozer+, 100 Grubs, 120 Grub+

Glowing Crater (0/4): 20 Symphalian Crabs, 6 Stymphalian Crab+, 50 Medusa, 20 Medusa+, 162 Aeroplanar, 100 Aeroplanar+, 83 Rozer, 30 Rozer+ 650 Grubs, 180 Grub+

Added missing Medusa, adjusted Rozer numbers and added the ones missing. 200 Rozers is enough. And 80 rozers with 30 + is better than a mere 46. Also minor adjustment of the Medusa+ to give the Glowing Crater some in case they are needed.

This is an acceptable compromise. Quoted to make sure no sneaky edits are made afterwards.
Thank you for catching my math errors. I guess I lost a couple while I was moving them around.

Quote from: Numbers Checkbox
What's In the Crater?: (3)10e10, Rockeater, TFF
What's In the Crater?{v2}: (2)  Flabort, TricMagic
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2021, 12:02:42 pm »

What's In the Crater?: (2)10e10, Rockeater, TFF
What's In the Crater?{v2}: (3)  Flabort, TricMagic,10e10

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2021, 12:26:56 pm »

Grubbin Punishment: (0)
What's In the Crater?: (2) Rockeater, TFF
What's In the Crater?{v2}: (4) Flabort, TricMagic, 10e10, T2E
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2021, 03:44:44 pm »

Quote from: Grubbing for Votes
Grubbin Punishment: (0)
What's In the Crater?: (2) Rockeater, TFF
What's In the Crater?{v2}: (4) Flabort, TricMagic, 10e10, T2E, Doomblade

Bandwagon? More like banned-wagon
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2021, 07:58:49 pm »

It is now Design Phase 5
You have 1 Design and 0 Credits. (1 lesser advantage)

Contest: A Mirror, Shattered

As both the Alpha and Omega entity mature, you become increasingly aware that you are not the ‘mother’ you were cloned from - nor are you even that much like your sister. In order to escape the devastation the natives of this land created, your former self had to make sweeping changes to your form and structure, changes she never repeated for fear that she’d condemn whole swathes of her survival caches to destruction. Wise, considering that the two entities that remain are the only ones known to remain from hundreds.

Your form will be unique, and while your abilities are similar to your mother’s, they two are subtly mutated by her re-shaping. Your mind is… your own. You remember being her, much as one can remember being someone else in a dream, but those memories fade. Each entity is becoming something else, less and more at once than your Mother-Self’s reflection.

For this contest you need to write-up three things:

What you look like: Can be anything. Won’t be useful in the field unless the enemy is literally invading your cave.

What your ethos is: Part personality, part philosophy, part artistic style. You are an empire unto yourself, a potentially eternal I AM with the power to sculpt flesh like clay and mother tens of millions. You are, in a very real sense, a Deity who devours worlds to convert them - but what drives you?

What your Mutagenic quirk is: When you were fragmented from your creator’s original genome, you were fundamentally altered in a thousand ways. In combination, this has changed the way you create, and potentially given you an advantage in some of your creations over your sister. What are you good at when you create?

Rewards: The team with the most interesting result for 2 out of 3 categories will win a greater advantage credit, which will allow you to roll 4 dice and take the highest, and does not forbid rolling a ‘dirty’ 9. In addition, both teams will receive a long-term bonus related to their Mutagenic quirk.

Duration: You have until the end of Turn 5. Submission are only valid when in core. One submission per category allowable per player. Having more submission for a team grants no intrinsic advantage.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2021, 08:32:25 pm »

Wrym doesn't seem like it will work, as the largest lifeforce anywhere. So..

Zeever Spider

The Rozer undergoes metamorphosis, it's previous body becomes the back body while eight sturdy spider legs form along it's body, and a newly formed head part as the front body gains insect eyes capable of night-vision as well as the old parts of the Rozer's mouth. With this evolution the ganglia and nodes of the grubs spread through it's body, while the psionic core nestles within the head. Of note is it's telekinesis allows the manipulation of thread it produces thanks to the thread acting as a psionic channel so long as it is touching the spiders end or it's legs, as those have the emitters which lead back to the core. Unlike ordinary spiders, it's threads are flameproof thanks to adapting the foamceramic of the Rozer into it, though like ordinary spiders it can also come be sticky or with steel-like strength. The Zeever Spider like the Rozer is a builder, if one with an eye for traps and making use of web control in combat. This building allows the creation of rope bridges and ladders, their potential size determined by the number of Zeevers.

All this is nice, but one can't forget that it can still exude the typical Rozer stuff through the back of it's body, and the chitin production still applies. Unlike before it has the legs and thread to make for some interesting ideas, and the brain to think of them. (It has the organelles and same processing ability too, so it can also dig as Rozers do when and where needed,[if with legs] which can help with making higher nests for Aerplanar.[Compared to Rozers who would have to climb up slowly and then dig into the rock, making it overall not worth the time or energy.])

Build little spider, build. If we can't dig we shall climb! And as a second evo it has combat applications.

I might suggest the Lesser Advantage for this, just so we don't end up with missile crab.

As before with Flabort, stellar job with the additions. Though I will add my own part to the Mutagenic Quirk.

Quote from: Final Lore: As One
What you look like The war the first queen fought, assuming she was the first, was brutal. Her plan to remake herself and seed clones to take up her cause almost failed: Many were destroyed by the enemy, and the memories of the Omega queen tell her that she herself was almost destroyed. The enemy, great and terrible as the first queens army was, was able to hunt down most hidden queens; they thought they destroyed the one who called herself Omega when their orbital lasers caused her cavern to collapse on top of her.

But she lived, her mind fragmented into parts throughout her body, redundant features built into her by her progenitor so that as long as one small segment remained, she could rebuild. Fortunately, many fragments survived. As she drank from the slime of memories, her grand head sprouted small legs and tentacles out of it's neck stump, and out of the cracks and in her carapace, and the large chunk missing from her face. Her mind found other fragments nearby, a pair of her original legs still connected with a fragment of thorax, two more legs nearby, and a much larger section of thorax with a shoulder and most of an arm - at the elbow, it had split into two arms, but one of them had broken off. Each mind was given telekinetic life and vigor, nutrients teleported into the redundant respiratory and pulmonary systems from her head, as the much smaller limbs carried it deeper into the slime pool to consume. Soon these segments too started to spout new smaller limbs from their wounds, and carry them into place, and grasp each other to form a semblance of her form as it would have been if she had been left undamaged. She soon discovered her remaining pieces, the last piece of her face, which was little more than a eye and a section of her brain, which she sent to the surface to scout; and her abdomen, which was far to heavy and great to move under it's own power. Even though it had been almost flattened, enough of it remained to repair.

Her eye went to act as lookout, and her head climbed out of the hole to look for more food as she telepathically supervised the reparation's of her body. Her many legs cleared the area and carried different goos produced in vats forming on the sides of her abdomen. Her remaining arm crawled through her wounds, cleaning out infections and reshaping her flesh to begin preparing herself to bear young. Eventually she finished, and her abdomen became the factory to create her weapons of revenge and conquest - large sacs of fluids would swell up on the sides filled with young, and hormones and goo would be pumped in through external veins that writhed about. Between these, open cauldrons of flesh filled with different fluids, ranging from caustics acids to destroy mistakes to regenerative fluids to accelerate healing and growth. As the young mature, the sacs are cut open and the grubs spill out onto the ground, nutritive fluid draining around them for them to eat as they mature. The work done, her legs and arm separated to roam and tunnel out her nest, hunting pests and farming fungal growths to feed her ravenous mouth.

Her main head resembles that of an ants, with her right eye being large and multifaceted, although the left eye is missing, and down the front of her face are a series of smaller different eyes resembling those from different species, each able to see in a different range of colors; some "see" things which are not even electromagnetic waves at all. Cracks exist on her face, which have been "healed" by having grasping tentacles and pointed limbs grow out of the wound, and the head crawls along the ground on a random assortment of several small similar limbs. Her mouth is lined with rings of teeth, and is surrounded by three pairs of mandibles, one for grabbing prey, one for pulling it into the mouth, and one for lacerating it.

Her shell, on her head and the remains of her torso, and what parts of her abdomen haven't been opened up, is an armored carapace so black it dims the light around her; Over time she has decorated it with refractive dyes and crystals, to create a prismatic display to better confuse and daze her enemies with. Her shell is also stained with the blood and juices of her food around her mouth, as she does not bother to clean them off. She would have once had wings, grand and multicolored and as large as her abdomen, capable of space flight, but they were unrevivable and recycled for nutrients. And from her abdomen, if one looked through the sacs of young and the vats of myriad fluids, a glow of light is emitted, an eternal flame of internal hatred emanating out into her cave.

She is capable of teleporting small objects, particularly ones inside her body, short distances, allowing her to keep her ruined body alive while each limb performs a different function. Her smaller tentacles, grown after her supposed death, allow her to manipulate things much finer than she would have been capable of otherwise, improving on her ability to reshape life as she saw fit. In times of danger, her separated pieces can cling together to form a facsimile of her once mighty form, allowing her to fight as she once would have, with tooth and claw and massive crushing legs, bringing the weight of her abdomen down upon even the most monstrous of foes. But when she is idle, she resembles little more than a dead, splattered insect, her limbs lying about, her head far from her body, with the only sign of life being the ever churning factory. Albeit the largest insect you've ever seen.

What your Ethos is: (Verbatim Ethos's version, with typos fixed) Omega is, like all of the creatures, driven by a constant desire to improve herself. She would like to believe she has surpassed her mother's design. But how can she know that she has improved, if she does not know what her original intent was? In time, what was once a minor niggling of doubt has turned into an obsessive desperation to unearth the past and lay these fears to rest, or see them confirmed and remake herself once more.

What your Mutageneic quirk is: [Single Mind Unfaltering]
Omega's Spawn is her Self. Every piece of the swarm is a part of her body, their minds merely an offshoot of her own. They fight and cling to life, fiercen as she does, even when their bodies are torn apart do they still bite and strike. As a result, they are tied more closely to her, moving as her own limbs would. But distance renders this link latent, so their own physical brains must fulfill her orders, clear as they are as part of her being. The Hivemind is as one beating heart, constantly seeking survival and improvement, and no matter how fragmented it may become it fights to one circadian beat, growing as one immeasurable will.

A trunk with many branches, and themselves many leaves. Though each part is different and distinct, it is still a single being. Every last resource will be used and taken, and the dying continue to fight even though they die, for they still live as part of the Queen herself. So long as the Queen Lives, the swarm lives, and it will fight without faltering or confusion.

Quote from: Loreslime/Botebox
As One: (1) TricMagic

Designs Here
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 04:00:56 pm by TricMagic »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:11 pm »

I say save the lesser advantage just a little longer, we can use it to improve the accuracy of our missiles. Maybe.

Anyways, here's a couple of design ideas:

Turbo Rozer
The turbo Rozer is an advanced Rozer, with the ability to produce more advanced caustic agents that it spits out onto stone to be dissolved, and hardened teeth to crack through stronger stones that the average Rozer can. More importantly is it's ability to derive nutrients from even the least likely materials, leading to much less waste so it's tunnels are not self-sealing. The cuticles of the Rozer have been adapted to automatically line the tunnels dug by the Turbo Rozer, creating smooth road-like surfaces for other units to travel along. This makes use of the rozer glue and foamceramic to stick the plates to the tunnel edges and detach them by creating purposely thin and weak lines of material and then snapping them off, rather than having to chew them off.

What makes the Turbo Rozer, well, Turbo, is it's ability to basically turn it's face inside out and chew at the whole tunnel around it, rather than directly in front of it, and rather than slowly digesting everything, compress its waste down into dowels of extremely dense material, firing them out of it's backside as it rapidly chews a tunnel large enough for multiple Stymphalian Crabs to walk down at once. The rapid excavation mode does tire the Turbo Rozer out, so it can only do so in bursts before returning to a more standard excavation method, but it does produce results. The dowels it produces can then be lifted by units with grasping limbs such as the crab units and carried out of the tunnels, or wielded as very heavy clubs. The psychic punch ability of a stymphalian crab can even be used to launch one of these dowels at high speeds when a polyp missile won't do.

Esoteriport
The wings of the Aeroplanar are refined wider, improving on the ability to glide. It's body, too, is larger and wider, but flatter, to better take advantage of close range telekinetic wind bursts. The ability to produce lift has been refined to allow for more powerful bursts, so that it may spend long periods of time gliding without psychic assistance in between; although constant use at lower levels is still an option. It's legs are a significant change, each one having a powerful set of grasping digits which can pick up smaller units such as grubs, rozers, or medusa crabs, even stymphalian crabs... though larger heavier things like boulders cannot be lifted, it can in general carry about 4-6 units, depending on weight. The legs can then curl up and hug the units into a depression in it's body, presenting a more aerodynamic profile while transporting it's allies back and forth.

For defense, the Esoteriport refines the Planar Lance into a point defense, able to sense anything traveling towards it and launching psychic threads outwards to spear them, then expanding a burst of energy at the end of the thread within the pierced object to blow it into bits. Right now this is only useful for errant stymphalian missiles, but who knows what the enemy will come up with?

Ironclad Crab
The polyps of the Ironclad Crab create a spray which does not neutralize toxins - rather, the resin-like hardening of the original secretion is improved upon, taking inspiration from (though not directly copying the methods of) the rozer's foamceramic to create a coating of a spongey and flexible, but hard and resilient material. The Ironclad Crab is capable of psionically moving this before hardening to create complex shapes, or to squeeze the air out of it to create even harder, even more durable but much less flexible surfaces; even blades, which it adds to it's claws. As before, it can snip a polyp off and have it travel with other units, this time adhering it to them with it's foamy armor paste. The armoring resin spray produced by the polyps generally isn't as easy for the other units to manipulate, though. The resin spray also has a metalic sheen to it, giving the impression that the Ironclad Crabs are literally clad in iron. Furthermore, it's insulating against heat, especially in thick spongy layers with hardened airless layers to prevent liquids from seeping into the sponge layers.

Besides it's use as armor, the Ironclad Crab can also manipulate the spray to bind to itself and form objects or structures, ranging from long poles to reinforce tunnels, to shovels, to domes for shelter above the surface, or even boats, though the time it takes to do so can vary depending on how complex and how large the created object is.

These are just ideas for now, I almost think the Granroze Wyrm would fit the role that the turbo rozer was designed for better - but the reason Tric gave for not wanting to do it any more is it's large size. I'm not so sure that's a bad thing if we can get under the crater and it turns out to be safe there, but it's just so hard to tell.
The Cyan Menace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2021, 06:14:22 am »

If you want to do the Grantoze Wyrm I am fine with it. You kinda proved me wrong last turn's planning.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2021, 01:32:22 pm »

Draig hasn't yet given difficulty estimates on the designs, but I'm going to set up the votebox now, just in case.

I'm also going to give my own estimates, based on a style that draig used in the discord at least once:
Zeever Spider: Body plan change [Novel], latent psychic traits [evolved], vision [evolved/novel], thread production [novel], independent thought [evolved/novel], building ability [novel] Summary: Hard?
Turbo Rozer: Acid [evolved/novel], harder teeth [evolved], improved digestion [evolved], improved cuticles [evolved], body plan change via face [novel], extreme compression [novel], size [evolved] Summary: Hard?
Esoteriport: Body plan change [novel/evolved], refined psychic lift [evolved], carrier ability [evolved/novel], point defense [evolved], size [evolved] Summary: Moderate?
Ironclad Crab: different chemical [reverse prior/evolved/novel], heatproofing [novel], improved psychic shaping [evolved], building ability [novel], tool using [novel] Summary: High-moderate/low hard?
We already know granroze wyrm is high moderate from when Draig already estimated it for us.

Quote from: boatbox
Zeever Spider (W/ advantage): (0)
Zeever Spider (no advantage): (0)
Turbo Rozer (W/ advantage): (0)
Turbo Rozer (no advantage): (0)
Granroze Wyrm (W/ advantage): (0)
Granroze Wyrm (no advantage): (0)
Esoteriport (W/ advantage): (0)
Esoteriport (no advantage): (0)
Ironclad Crab (W/ advantage): (0)
Ironclad Crab (no advantage): (1) Flabort
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13