Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Alpha Hive  (Read 10843 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Alpha Hive
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2021, 10:43:22 am »

Quote from: VoteBox
Alphaling: (1) NG1999
Lithovore Scavenger: (2) NUKE9.13, Frostgiant

I like the Pterohawk and the Alphaling, But I would prefer to do them next turn, after the food supply has been patched up and we get a lithovore. We are at 2/1/1, We have time to fill out the armory

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2021, 11:28:41 am »

Pterohawk (simplified): (1) Powder Miner

I want them locomotion modes set up reeeeeeeeeee

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2021, 11:33:56 am »

Pterohawk (simplified): (2) Powder Miner, Madman

It's got flight, it's got eyeballs, what isn't there to like?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2021, 01:28:43 pm »

Lithovore Scavenger: (3) NUKE9.13, Frostgiant. Happerry
Pterohawk (simplified): (2) Powder Miner, Madman

I believe a flier would have issues giving directions to underground tunnels.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2021, 01:41:18 pm »

I think we're pretty sure that that won't be an issue. Draig's response, anyway, was basically "stop overthinking this".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2021, 01:42:46 pm »

I think we're pretty sure that that won't be an issue. Draig's response, anyway, was basically "stop overthinking this".
Was that my response?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2021, 04:48:52 pm »

Pterohawk (simplified): (3) Powder Miner, Madman

It seems, from conversations with Draig, that a psionic hawk would be able to ping our other troops for location, and give directions accordingly (or relay to our queen to help build a map of the area, I guess).
I would prefer a smaller/less combat capable version with less emphasis on walking speed, to drop difficulty and focus more on the eyes and the psionic communication. Bigger and meaner can wait later tiers, but this would be a swarm of scouts. However, I had no time nor energy to write such a proposal, so I shall vote the hawk for the time being.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2021, 04:53:05 pm »

Pterohawk (simplified): (4) Powder Miner, Madman, andrea, Kashyyk

I dont think we need the Lithovore this turn.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2021, 06:04:17 pm »

Well, it seems there is more support for the flier. I'm fine with that too, so to speed things up:
Lithovore Scavenger: (2) Frostgiant. Happerry
Pterohawk (simplified): (5) Powder Miner, Madman, andrea, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51:41 pm »

Lithovore Scavenger: (3) Frostgiant. Happerry, m1895
Pterohawk (simplified): (5) Powder Miner, Madman, andrea, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2021, 10:12:47 pm »

Lithovore Scavenger: (3) Frostgiant. Happerry, m1895
Pterohawk (simplified): (6) Powder Miner, Madman, andrea, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, MoP

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2021, 03:13:14 am »

Design Phase 3 - Alpha

Ptero-Hawk
[Efficacy: 5]
-Base Incidence Rate: 30%
-Evolution Chance: 35%
 -Available Evolutions:
 -- Ptero-Hawk+ 100%
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
-Description: The Ptero-Hawk is the first major step towards reclaiming the old forms of splendor - featuring both legs and wings. While the body itself is distinctly grub-like, its internal structure is a tightly wound spiral of muscular and metabolic systems, capable of a speed and strength of motion far beyond that of its parent. On the ground, the Ptero-Hawk is competent. It’s stride could charitably be described as ‘loping’, being much quicker than that of a grub, but inefficient when compared to the memories of previous organisms who once claimed the land.

This is fine, as the Ptero-Hawk was never meant to claim the land.

A powerful flyer, their membranous wings are capable of vaulting into flight from a standstill when needed and provide good aerial speed (when in a dive or at the cost of a lot of flapping) and excellent maneuverability. Strong rear talons allow the Ptero-Hawk to grip into creatures and tear chunks away, completely lift smaller creatures into the air, or merely to anchor the Ptero-Hawk while it tears into enemies with its sharp-beak.

Perhaps most importantly. The Ptero-Hawk has greatly augmented psionic ability and moderately increased (though still animalistic) intelligence that allows it to act as a psionic forward relay for the queen. Sharp-eyed, the Ptero-Hawk can provide enhanced vision of the terrain and the enemy to the queen as any other member of the swarm, but it’s also capable of holding a register of basic instructions and criteria from the queen. This enables it to react immediately to what it sees and provide directions for other creatures in the swarm. These instructions are simple but can be relayed nearly immediately based on what the Ptero-Hawk sees in the field.

Ptero-Hawk+
-Evolution Chance: NaN
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
-Description: The Elite Ptero-Hawk is a beefy creature, with nearly three times the wingspan of its ancestor, dramatically increased musculature in its legs and wings, and heavy, reshaped beak with an axe-like front that allows it to quite literally hammer its way through heavy armor before opening its sharp mouth to bite into the innards. While somewhat less maneuverable in the air by dint of its size, the Ptero-Hawk is just as fast in flight. Its psionic abilities are modestly improved, capable of providing stronger and longer-lasting directional signals - but more importantly, is a vicious streak of animal cunning in its intelligence. While it has no ability (or concept) of going beyond its queen’s instructions, it can be very nearly clever in its method of execution.

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 2 revisions to spend.

TURNTURNTURN
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2021, 03:52:36 am »

Centurion Legs
The ember is a being that lacks mobility, the best way to combat a lack of mobility is legs. Many, many legs. The more legs the better one could say. Following this line of thinking, The queen has decided to add legs to the ember, patterning off the hundred legged menace called a Cen-Ti-Pede, or something like that. By adding a great number of small legs, it allows the ember to maintain locomotion even if legs are damaged, as there are dozens to take their place.

The plethora of legs allows the ember to truly flex its mobility. In order to ensure that the legs do not comprimise the insulation of the ember, The legs contain a robust criculation system and insulating carapace, similar to the main body.
Each leg circulates with glowing hot bodily fluids pumped from the interior of the ember, into the limb and then back again in short order. The fast circulation ensures that while the leg remains burning hot, the inner juices that are returning to the main body do not have a chance to cool. This combined with the insulating carapace, Close proximity to the burning hot main body and the many other legs allows the ember to prevent hypothermia.

If a creature was unlucky enough to say, the touch of these burning hot legs or, Queen forbid, be unlucky enough to be grappled by dozens at a time serve burns are sure to follow. if a foolhardy creature was foolish enough to bite OFF a leg, the jet of burning hot blood is sure to cause 3rd degree burns at minimum, Before the ember clots the bleeding.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2021, 07:49:10 am »

First draft Embervision:
Ember Revision: Active Thermovision
Did you know that hot things generate light? I know, it's bloody amazing. Anyway, did you know that light bounces off of things? Did you know that with the right sort of 'eye', you can see the infrared light that is typically given off by hot things?
The Ember (and Ember+) will be gifted the curse of sight, by way of adding an organ at the front of their body that uses reflective bio-crystals to 'illuminate' everything ahead of it with the Ember's own heat. Two compound eyes then pick up the reflected IR light to get an image what lies ahead. The benefits to this ability are: it works in the 'dark'; IR light can penetrate some obstacles more easily than visible light; and the eye structure is highly resistant to the Ember's own body heat (unlike finicky camera eyes). The downside is that it has a harder time seeing things further away as compared to the 'visible' spectrum (the compound eyes do have receptors for visible light, but not enough to give a clear picture beyond basic light/dark).
The Ember can also 'switch off' the IR projector, and use purely passive IR vision, but due to its own temperature will likely be unable to detect anything but very large temperature discrepancies this way (eg it will be able to see very cold things and very hot things, but not things closer in temperature to the environment)

The Ember+ will, on the one hand, be able to see further due to the more intense IR radiation it can generate. On the other, it may have a harder time making out details due to the higher resting temperature of its eyes- subtle difference in temperature will be harder to notice.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:31:02 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2021, 12:31:18 pm »

Bombardiers Boiling breath
The pterohawk is nearly perfect, except for its lack of any means of offense aside from its beak and claws, While diving attacks are a staple of Ariel combatants, One doesn't Always wish to dive down unto the enemy from above. This lacked has led to an attempt to adapt, as the queen and her hive is want to do.
Drawing on her experience with exothermic reactions, gained from the creation of the ember, The queen has seen fit to add two glands to the mouth of the Hawk. These two glands are the same, Doubling the payload. Contained within the Glands are a mixture of peroxidase enzymes that can oidize the other occupent of the gland, hydroquinones.
When Using its breath, The Glands mi together the enzymes and the Hydroquinones, Creating the mildly noixous benzoquinone. More importantly, This reaction if highly exothermic, Creating large amounts of pressure and Boiling temperatures that rapidly expel the boiling liquid.

This boiling breath gives the Pterohawk a potentially dangerous and deadly breath, Causing burns to those cout in the boiling stream of noxious chemicals. This gives the Pterohawk the ability to engage at the range and even strafe enemies in flight.
Coincidentally, The boiling temperatures make a good disinfectant, allowing the Pterohawk to Bath a small section of the fungal forest in boiling Chemicals, Killing it and rendering it safe for consumption by the small and unarmoured critter.

EDIT:
Quote from: Grubbox
Centurion Legs (1):Frostgiant
Bombardiers Boiling breath(1): Frostgiant

Going for the legs instead of thermovision because the pterohawk kinda sorta stops gaps that, so I think we should turn this grubbin into a Sizzlipede to boost its mobility.
Going to vote for the CHemical steam breath, Because right now we don't have a whole lot of revisions that stand out as emergency, so I feel safe going for a harder revision that seems like a useful buff to th pterahawk line, whihc seem like they are going to be the basis for a good portion of our flyers.
Giving the birds a strafing attack would be useful, And I prefer boiling steam over acid because acid gets used a Lot for bio-units.
... plus the steam breath makes it a mini-dragonhawk, which is cool.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:16:05 pm by frostgiant »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16