Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Alpha Hive  (Read 10826 times)

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Alpha Hive
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2021, 03:38:46 am »

Quote from: Queenean Box
(5) You Thought It Was Strategy, But It Was Me, Keikaku! : Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, m1895, Yotta
(4) The Same Exact Plan But Without Keikaku In The Title Wait Shit: MoP, Madman, Andrea, Frostgiant

I prefer plans that have memes in their name.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2021, 04:10:33 pm »

Figured I should actually share my lore proposals in the thread. We have some time before the deadline, but it would be good to discuss this more, so we aren't in a rush when the deadline nears.

WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE
The Alpha Queen's form is rather fluid. And by fluid, I don't mean she changes shape a lot (although she can), I mean she appears to be liquid.
While she is assuredly an individual, her 'body' is an amorphous mass of a thick oily substance. She resides in a large pool in her sequestration cavern, from which Grubs emerge on a regular basis. The pool, despite the lack of wind in the depths, is constantly writhing and churning- waves and whirlpools disrupt the surface, and occasionally strange structures grow from the liquid, forming angular pillar-branches that loom statically over the pool for a while before turning back into liquid and collapsing.
A hypothetical observer might eventually come to recognise patterns in the pool- at a glance, the churn may appear chaotic, but the size and speed of the waves that criss-cross the surface will follow an orderly sequence at times, and the looming pillar-branches actually map out fractal three-dimensional images. Unfortunately for the hypothetical observer, the true meaning behind these motions is known only to the Alpha Queen herself, and she is both unwilling and unable to explain their purpose to anyone (not that anyone has asked, but, you know).
The hypothetical observer could at least take solace in the fact that the whole show is illuminated, as the oily liquid is faintly luminescent, bathing the chamber in which the pool is located in a kaleidoscopic lightshow.

WHAT YOUR ETHOS IS
I can't really think of anything for this category, but I like Frost's proposal:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177892.msg8243415#msg8243415

WHAT YOUR MUTAGENIC QUIRK IS
Exotic Chemistry: All biology is chemistry, but not all chemistry is biology. This is also true for the Alpha Queen, however she does create a larger overlap. As seen in, for example, the Ember's unusual thermophilic metabolism, the fungicidal and adhesive substances in Grub slime, and to some extent the stomach acid of the Driller and Cultivator. When it comes to regular biochemistry, the Alpha Queen is no better than the average nigh-omnipotent sculptor of life... it is when things drift out of the ordinary that she shows her skill.
If you need a critter whose veins are filled with antifreeze, she's your gal. If regular acid ain't cutting it, she can whip up some hyper-acid for you. Metabolising high-explosives likewise falls in her wheelhouse.
To be clear, this does not cover the creation of larger biological structures (eg entire cells) or regular bio-chemicals (such as garden-variety proteins). Obviously she is great at that, but no better than her sister-clone. This quirk is specifically focused on exotic chemical reactions, generally creating molecular-scale products (although obviously the exotic molecules can be used in larger structures).
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2021, 07:58:20 pm »

It is now Design Phase 5
You have 1 Design and 1 Credits.

Contest: A Mirror, Shattered

As both the Alpha and Omega entity mature, you become increasingly aware that you are not the ‘mother’ you were cloned from - nor are you even that much like your sister. In order to escape the devastation the natives of this land created, your former self had to make sweeping changes to your form and structure, changes she never repeated for fear that she’d condemn whole swathes of her survival caches to destruction. Wise, considering that the two entities that remain are the only ones known to remain from hundreds.

Your form will be unique, and while your abilities are similar to your mother’s, they two are subtly mutated by her re-shaping. Your mind is… your own. You remember being her, much as one can remember being someone else in a dream, but those memories fade. Each entity is becoming something else, less and more at once than your Mother-Self’s reflection.

For this contest you need to write-up three things:

What you look like: Can be anything. Won’t be useful in the field unless the enemy is literally invading your cave.

What your ethos is: Part personality, part philosophy, part artistic style. You are an empire unto yourself, a potentially eternal I AM with the power to sculpt flesh like clay and mother tens of millions. You are, in a very real sense, a Deity who devours worlds to convert them - but what drives you?

What your Mutagenic quirk is: When you were fragmented from your creator’s original genome, you were fundamentally altered in a thousand ways. In combination, this has changed the way you create, and potentially given you an advantage in some of your creations over your sister. What are you good at when you create?

Rewards: The team with the most interesting result for 2 out of 3 categories will win a greater advantage credit, which will allow you to roll 4 dice and take the highest, and does not forbid rolling a ‘dirty’ 9. In addition, both teams will receive a long-term bonus related to their Mutagenic quirk.

Duration: You have until the end of Turn 5. Submission are only valid when in core. One submission per category allowable per player. Having more submission for a team grants no intrinsic advantage.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mutagenesis Team Thread | Alpha Hive
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2021, 11:56:09 pm »

Here's a new submission much different from my goop orb

Quote from: A Reflection, Fragmented

"What are you?" is a question I don't often ask, and one that has never been asked of me. I understand what I create before it is born, it's purpose known to me. They reach out, like so many nerve endings, relaying to me what exists in the world beyond. That which is not me is new, but understandable. I contemplate what was in order to conquer what is and create what will be. But until now I have not contemplated me.

"What am I?" is a question I find difficult to answer.

I am the walls, the floor, the ceiling. I feed, and as I feed I split and grow further, my iridescent form breaking off from itself to form beautiful fractal patterns dimly illuminating the cavern I reside in.

I am a mother, birthing countless children to aid me in feeding. I grant them life within the mold pods, and they return the favor in kind.

I am a general, guiding my children to wage war against shadows of the past - both the planet's and my own.

But what am I?

A lesser mind would call me a fungus, slime mold, a monster. An equal mind would call me a threat. But a greater mind? One capable of comprehending me? None exist, and so I must define myself.

My name is Alpha, and I am.

But why am I?

The concept of why, reason, drive, evaded me. At first I believed it was the need to survive that pushed me onward, but it was more than that. Hunger? No, feeding is a task required because I am. No, I am because I fear. I fear the unknown. I fear that which I cannot influence or control. I am because if I was not then I would be content to rot away in my cave.

So I am because I need to be. I need to expand both body and mind. I need to control. I need to be. I am because I fear what I am not - death - and I must fight it off in any way I can.

That which I do not know can be the bringer of that which I am not, and fear prevents me from seeking understanding of what I am not, so I must fight everything that is not me to protect my self.

But how do I defend myself from the unknown? I use what I know - life. Life is both biology and chemistry in equal measure, but it is the more exotic chemistry that draws my mind's eye. The world around us was poisoned by those that came before, poisons that threatened the life of the I-That-Was. I learn and I incorporate until I fuse the exotic chemistry with the mundane biology and create something beautiful. Something profound. Art.

Spoiler: tl;dr (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2021, 06:51:36 am »

Quote from: Alphaling Box
Olny Alphaling allwoed  >:(

(1+) Murder Pup Alphaling : Kashyyk, Literally everyone else

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2021, 10:26:49 am »

Quote from: Alphaling Box
Olny Alphaling allwoed  >:(

(2+) Murder Pup Alphaling : Kashyyk, , MoP, Literally everyone else

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2021, 02:02:14 pm »

T2 Hernifex (Peterohawk evolution)

The Hernifex is designed as a combat flyer, Minimising the influence of the psionic of its predecessor in order to maximize weaponized gains. The hernifex possesses 6 limbs, with two on the back and 4 located towards the front end of the creature with a pair of wings located near the back and the front limbs near chest.

The back two limbs are roughly triangular, and when pressed together form a Rough conal shape, Turning a DIve into a devastating impact due to the weight of these heavily armoured carapace legs and the point that forces the energy into a maximum pound per square inch impact.
In order to survive these impact forces, The leg bones are designed as Trabecular centers, possessing hundreds of porous bone pockets, During an impact this porous bomb flexes and compresses, absorbing the impact even as the Foam like marrow insid of the bone further dampens it.

In between the Hardshell of the legs and the internal structure are a series of crumple zones, Formed out of the same bone and Foam like Cells,
By flexing and intentionally crumpling with the impact, the bones are able to withstand the incredibly powerful impact without shattering and lacerating the internal tissues. This happens all the way up the internal leg bones, with a series of flex points ensuring that it doesn't destroy its body during impact.

Aside from the Diving Shell legs,  The Harnifex posses a similar ax beak to the Pterohawk+ n addition to and a pair of grasping claws to kill less armored enemies and engage fellow flyers.

While the Harnifex is a large physiological change from its predecessor, the deeper one looks the more it stays the same, featuring similar eyes, Internal organs aside from its Shock absorption, and brain.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2021, 07:19:08 pm »

Stomato-Shrike (T2 Pterohawk Evolution)

An evolution of the Pterohawk, the Stomato-Shrike makes a myriad of physical changes intended to turn it into a heavy combat air unit.

The most obvious changes are that of size, armor and power - the Stomato-Shrike is at base roughly the size of the Pterohawk+ in terms of its torso size, perhaps a little larger, and it's got carapace armor on its torso, head, and limbs in a way that the Pterohawk doesn't. Accordingly, it's got a major increase to the power of its wings and a significantly larger wingspan, allowing it to fly and soar despite the size and weight. In terms of the rest of its body shape, the torso is mostly round and has a pair of moderately long but thin front arms, sporting a set of wicked claws each, used to tear up unarmored creatures, either on a fly-by or on top of the creature in question, or sink between the plates of lightly armored creatures.

That said, these claws lack any exceptional strength or armor-piercing capability, because that is what the triangular rear legs, possessing a strong amount of armor in order to create a sharp cone, are devoted to. In flight, the large legs of the Stomato-Shrike fold up and sit together, fitting neatly into a mildly bulbous shape behind and below the wings that could remind one of a bizarrely aerodynamic wasp. When the Stomato-Shrike dives on a heavily armored opponent, making use of its size and speed to gather up a tremendous amount of kinetic energy, these legs snap downwards and forwards, reorienting their armored cone towards the target, with a strike intended to brutally impale it. In order to ensure the legs of the Stomato-Shrike don't horrifically break off, the leg bones are highly trabecular and there are several spaces between the shell of the hind legs and the rest of their mass, in effect turning the interior of the Stomato-Shrike's hind legs into a giant, if temporary, crumple zone.

Additionally, the membrane wings of the Stomato-Shrike are not actually connected to the "forearms" of the wings directly, but instead just by the "fingers" of the wings - and the last of these "fingers" is capable of detaching and latching, allowing the membrane wings to be folded up and stored away inside their "forearms" when the Stomato-Shrike is on the ground. The Stomato-Shrike also halfway mimics the beak of the Pterohawk+ in that it is heavy and armored - but instead of an axe shape, it is long and narrow, as the Stomato-Shrike should really only be using its beak to finish off heavily wounded foes through holes in armor created by its strike.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:41:31 pm by Powder Miner »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2021, 03:22:43 pm »

Quote from: Anything Box
Regular Design
(3) Murder Pup : Kashyyk, , MoP, NUKE9.13

Bonus Design Credit
(1) Stomato-Shrike: NUKE9.13
() Do not use:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:37:48 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2021, 03:42:12 pm »

Regular Design
(4) Murder Pup : Kashyyk, MoP, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner

Bonus Design Credit
(2) Stomato-Shrike: NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
() Do not use:

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2021, 04:02:26 pm »

Regular Design
(5) Murder Pup : Kashyyk, MoP, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Andrea

Bonus Design Credit
(3) Stomato-Shrike: NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Andrea
() Do not use:

For the murder pup line, we could have a naming scheme of "word with bloody meaning" + "word for a young animal". So, slaughter calf, butcher cub and so on.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2021, 04:52:56 pm »

Trying my own queen, heavily inspired by others

WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE
The Alpha Queen's form is rather fluid. And by fluid, I don't mean she changes shape a lot (although she can), I mean she appears to be mostly liquid.
While she is assuredly an individual, the main mass of her 'body' is an amorphous mass of a thick oily substance. She resides in a large pool in her sequestration cavern, from which Grubs emerge on a regular basis. The pool, despite the lack of wind in the depths, is constantly writhing and churning- waves and whirlpools disrupt the surface, and occasionally strange structures grow from the liquid, forming angular pillar-branches that latch on the walls of the cave and drill into them, only to later flow back rich in minerals.
A hypothetical observer might eventually come to recognise patterns in the pool- at a glance, the churn may appear chaotic, but the size and speed of the waves that criss-cross the surface will follow an orderly sequence at times, and the looming pillar-branches actually map out fractal three-dimensional images. Unfortunately for the hypothetical observer, the true meaning behind these motions is known only to the Alpha Queen herself, and she is both unwilling and unable to explain their purpose to anyone (not that anyone has asked, but, you know).
The hypothetical observer could at least take solace in the fact that the whole show is illuminated, as the oily liquid is faintly luminescent, bathing the chamber in which the pool is located in a kaleidoscopic lightshow.

WHAT YOUR MUTAGENIC QUIRK IS
Inorganic Chemistry: All biology is chemistry, but not all chemistry is biology. This is also true for the Alpha Queen, however she does create a larger overlap. The first times in the sequestration caves were tough, and proper organic matter was hard to find. But in this difficulty, the alpha queen discovered her greatest talent: blending organic chemistry, based on the little biomatter available, with inorganic chemistry. No longer just limited to carbon, she can weave in her offspring other chemistry to greatly expand the range of possibilities. The greater example currently available would certainly be the ember line, with its sulphur and silicon based internal processes. That is however nothing more than a mere taste of what she could do, for carbon is one element but the periodic table offers so much more. Hydrogen, iron, plutonium. Mendeleev is the limit.

WHAT YOUR ETHOS IS
During the sequestration, Alpha started feeding on rocks and giving life to inorganic matter in order to sustain her offspring till the time it could finally emerge to the surface again. But what was initially a dire necessity turned into a perverse pleasure, the pleasure of consumption, of gluttony. Yes, organic matter is easier to assimilate and manipulate. And it is what the queen seems to be made to do. Except for her quirk, be it a mutation or acquired. Alpha can consume and assimilate the very earth, making it into more creatures, extensions of their being and will. Where a lesser being lacking ambition would want to devuour the biosphere of a planet, only sourcing minerals where strictly needed, Alpha sees a bigger picture: planets are almost entirely rock and metal, and rock and metal she can eat. Consumption on a never seen before scale, she seeks to not just scratch the surface but to devour, assimilate, transform all there is. Such a giant task requires time and tehrefore the destruction of rivals, but after that her insatiable hunger will be free to reach its natural consumption and Alpha will be the planet.
All will be grub.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2021, 06:31:22 pm »

Trying to write some lore linked to the contest (specifically paired to my proposal), describing the awakening of the queen.
Considering it is linked to a contest, I of course have no claims of it being official, although it could be later adapted to the background that Draig actually picks.

As of this time, it is still missing the last part where I explore the ethos, but it is quite late. Still, posting a partial version.
And done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:23:21 pm by andrea »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2021, 07:46:02 pm »

Murder Pup
[Efficacy: 4]
-Base Incidence Rate: 30%
-Evolution Chance: 35%
 -Available Evolutions:
 -- Murder Pup+ 100%
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
-Description:  The newly evolved creature, identified by the curious mnemonic ‘Murder Pup’, is an example of a moderate success at something only moderately difficult. The six-legged creature is marvelously quick and agile - particularly compared to what it came from. Capable of leaping great bounds, sprinting over most terrain, and clambering up and down moderately steep faces by a combination of strong limbs and piton-like claws. Its eyes provide it redundant and highly accurate depth perception which greatly facilitates its ability to make leaping attacks.

Its hairs, unfortunately, don’t live up to expectations. While, when combined with the natural slime secretions, they provide a thick barrier against biological contaminants, their matted slickness means that don’t ‘poof’ enough to provide good protection from blunt impacts, and the lubricating slime means that anything moderately sharp can push the hairs out of the way to strike flesh below. Against slashing blows, the hair is effective, and it does a fair job of filtering large particulates, but the biological complexity brought on in increasing its strength means that it doesn’t shed out as quickly as hoped.
The pack link is an effective expansion of the grub’s own increased awareness, allowing for limited impression sharing from between pack members. While not as accurate as Alpha Entity’s mosaic, it allows pack mates to act and react as a group to accomplish their directives.

While somewhat lacking in armor penetration unless it can get a running start, the Murder-Pup does a good job against soft targets. Slashing talons and gnawing teeth go far, particularly when the Pups work together, and her downward stabbing still maintains decent penetration against thicker targets.

Murder Pup+
-Evolution Chance: NaN
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
-Description: Outwardly extremely similar to the ordinary Murder Pup, the Elite features minor musculoskeletal changes that allow it to better orient its body into a ‘diving’ position when performing leaps - focusing its bladed forelimbs to a single point and mechanically locking its joints for better initial contact damage and penetration. Much more importantly, however, is the fact that each elite Murder Pup is, in a manner of speaking, born pregnant. Each elite carries a partially developed clone inside its body, held in bio-stasis until necromones released by the Elite being killed awake the infant within. At this point the infant will rapidly begin chewing its way out of its parent, using its remains as biological material to fuel its greatly accelerated development. It will be combat-capable in minutes, and, given sufficient food, fully mature within six hours. Newly ‘born’ pups also contain dormant inner entities, but the enormously increased cancer risks from the breakneck cellular division required to enable the infant’s meteoric growth rate typically mean that it’s only 2 or 3 rebirths before the Murder Pup is seriously impeded by prolific tumors.

Stomato-Shrike
[Efficacy: 5   (3, 1, 2, 3)]
-Base Incidence Rate: 30%
-Evolution Chance: 25%
 -Available Evolutions:
 -- Stomato-Shrike+ 100%
 -Mutagenic Potential: 4
-Description: The Stomato-Shrike is big, powerful, and somewhat awkward. As large as a Pterohawk elite, and with an evolved armor coating, the wingspan and musculature of the Stomato-Shrike is greatly improved to facilitate the new scale and weight. Some sacrifices in armor coverage have to be made in order to accommodate graceful flight, and there are notable gaps where the wings connect to the body and where the wing fingers hinge.

Her frontal arms, long and thin as they are, provide excellent reach with their talons, but have a fragility that makes them very difficult to use for more than fly-by swipes at soft targets. Her mouth parts are heavily reinforced, with a pecking beak capable of skewering smaller targets or fishing for the innards of weakened targets. Her primary weapon, of course, is her peculiar back legs. Designed to unite into a single flying wedge, heavy with carapace and laden with internal reinforcement, it provides the Stomato-Shrike with a potent mixture of crushing and piercing impact damage. When it can line up, which is where the issues start happening.

While reasonably aerodynamic in level flight, there’s no getting around the fact that the Stomato-Shrike is big and heavy. This means that, when on final approach, it’s very difficult for the Stomato-Shrike to significantly change course. Likewise, the abdomen twist needed to bring the ‘legs’ to bear in mid-air completely disrupts the flight profile, focusing the Stomato-Shrike entirely on not crashing completely rather than on aiming. Even when it hits, small and soft targets don’t really provide enough resistance to adequately slow the Stomato-Shrike, and, despite reinforcement, a collision with harder varieties of ground can still irreparably shatter the Shrike’s rear legs depending on speed and angle. If it misses its target, the Shrike has to desperately unroll in the air and pull out of its maneuver pre-impact, or risk smashing its body into the ground. 

In short, while potentially devastating against something big, heavily armored, and slow, the enormous risks in regularly utilizing the Shrike means the queen has to pick targets quite carefully and accept that many Shrikes won’t make it back from the first pass against mobile targets in hard terrain.

Stomato-Shrike+
-Evolution Chance: NaN
 -Mutagenic Potential: 4
-Description: The Elite Stomato-Shrike is… curvier than its predecessor. Where the ordinary Stomato-Shrike hurls itself at its targets like a stiletto or an épée, the elite variant on its final approach maintains a hooked appearance, with the concavity of the blade facing upwards. This, on normal impacts, means that the Shrike will slide upwards during impact and that overpenetration collisions or near misses will hopefully result in a gentler, rolling collision. The elite variant doubles down on this, however, with a triple row of chitinous ‘warts’ that extend with dozens of nodules from the base of its ‘neck’ down almost to the tip of its abdomen. Beneath their external chitin, these warts have internal cartilaginous shock-absorbing structures very similar to that of the Shrike’s bones. When the elite shrike detects that its attack run will fail and it doesn’t have a good chance to abort back to the air, it makes a single powerful flap with its wings accompanied by a muscular spasm that simultaneously tucks in its arms and wings and curls the body into a spinning ball configuration. In this manner, the elite Shrike can connect with the ground and bounce several times - potentially still cannon-balling into its target - and can unfurl its wings either at the height of a bounce or after it comes to rest.

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 2 revisions to spend.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2021, 02:02:32 am »

Many floof, much murder, such majestic.  11/10 heckin good pepper.

Anyway, in unrelated thoughts, I think we need to revise the Murder Pup a bit. I like the idea someone pitched in discord of hair burrs to help catch particulate.  Another option would be revise the slime into a shear-thickening fluid, as I belive that will instead become very hard and viscous with a sudden hit, which would counteract both the stabbing and blunt impact problems.

We could also declare the Murder Pup to officially be Heckin' Good and just get a mutagenic boost out of it.

If we didn't do that, I'd want to adjust the incidence rates of the Driller and Pterohawk down by 5% each to bring the Murder Pup up to full anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16