Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 / Game Over - Agent Eats Hot Dogs While Writing Report  (Read 39786 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2 / Day 1: Beginning of the Death Game (12 / 12)
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2021, 03:04:44 pm »

I think it is unlikely that NQT and Caz are on the same scumteam; if Wubba is scum, then NQT is probably on the same team as Web.

I'm town and I strongly urge anyone out there who can inspect me to do so. I can confirm someone and am going for one of {NQT, Caz, and Webadict}. I'm claiming in hopes that scum don't have multiple blockers, so that one of me and Secretdorf goes through.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2021, 03:09:29 pm »

From my perspective, I agree with Toaster here.

I do think SHAD0W is Town (regretably), and the Mason claim actually makes a buttload of sense, and it covers Toaster, too. If ToonyMan vouches for Luckyowl, then I will let ToonyMan cover for them. I trust TricMagic, and I trust the Miller claim more. Secretdorf is definitely TP.

I know I am Town. I am almost 100% sure on NQT. That leaves Vector, hector13, Caz, and juicebox. I can believe hector13 is Town from that list, or Vector could somehow be Town if I'm wrong (but I still believe I am right... just saying...)

So, Caz and juicebox are definitely Mafia?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 25, 2021, 03:11:38 pm »

I see. Vector, are you a Godfather?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 25, 2021, 03:34:03 pm »

I see. Vector, are you a Godfather?
Obviously, this is a rhetorical question, but I do have a real question: Do you have a targeted action? You don't need to tell me your role or action, just whether it can be targeted.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2021, 04:15:31 pm »

2. The survivor claim would explain Secredorf's actions in chat.

I want to add that I find this choice of words really weird.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2021, 04:16:19 pm »

Not much time today so just skimmed the thread.

NQT
wuba
Vector[...]Other than that, I would say to be cautious of Caz. They're active, but they don't make compelling cases on who they believe to be Town or scum.
Do you think a Vector lynch is achievable today? We've got less that 24 hours, and you're lynch-lead. If you want people to switch to her, you're going to have to make a better case than your gut. I'll take a dive back on Caz

Much buddy, wow. Why so worried about webadict getting lynched?

LuckyOwl: Wtf means 'basically' town. Why say this??

Shifts vote to Vector for reasons.

Want to share with the rest of the group?

Caz
Not sure if I am allowed to scumhunt. Lynching Caz would be better than lynching Webadict.

Lol. This dude doesn't even have a pro-town alignment, if anything them voting me is evidence of why you shouldn't.

Caz Analysis
I counted 33* posts from Caz. Looking through them, I asked myself, "Does Caz actually want to find scum?" I took a broad view approach to this by characterising the posts into the following three categories. When I was in doubt, I tried to err on the generous side.
Low effort, uninformative (commentary, jokes) [4],[5],[6],[7],[9],[11],[21],[27],[28][29],[31] = 11 posts, 33.3%
Low-medium effort, informative (replies, low-ball questions) [2],[3],[8],[10],[12],[15],[16],[17],[19],[22],[24],[25],[26],[30] = 14 posts, 42.4%
High effort, informative/accusatory (i.e. more than 3 sentences, actual questions or accusation) [1],[13],[14],[18],[20],[23],[32],[33] = 24.2%

So, one third of Caz's content is straight up chaff, and three quarters of it is low effort. Slightly less than a quarter of their game is spent doing anything that looks like developing cases or finding scum.

Is this telling? I'd need to run the same analysis on some other players to get a sense, but I would support a Caz lynch. They don't spend a lot of time actually being town.

*It's possible I missed one or two, this would have been easier with the lurkertracker.
**PPE: some interesting non-Caz revelations I will respond to shortly

That is a lot of nonsense numbers. Is that seriously how you play the game now? Add the number of posts with jokes and use it as a conclusion? Or are we not allowed to joke because it will appear scummy? But we are allowed to insult? How many townie points do you get for making posts full of insults to players instead?

I'm eager to see your numbers for literally every other player, since it's impossible to make a comparison if you only produce 'data' on one person.

So this is how the votes currently stand and I don't like the feel of it.

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

There's a majority on webadict and the rest just kind of smeared out across the board. Easy lynch = town lynch.

Man you are so worried about webadict when he has just half the votes on him needed for a lynch and he's been acting consistently scummy through the game. Maybe try to be less obsessed about numbers and do some actual scumhunting, it would be more helpful.

juicebox
Have any of your reads changed since you posted your readslist? Are you still leaning scum on Hector?

Yeah, my scumlist goes webadict, Vector, LuckyOwl. ;) Wouldn't that be fun?

hector has been alright after the early game, I got no real feelings for them either way.

Tric
At least it isn't as bad as BYOR was recently. Also, that type of explosion I see and just ignore as best I can. It doesn't really do anything productive for others.

It's a lot of crap. It puts people off playing the game, and is just a cheap emotional tactic (read: scummy as all hell). I have no idea why people in this game think that it's okay. Couple that with the laziness of wanting to policy lynch LuckyOwl (I almost typed IronyOwl here, sheesh. Whatever happened to them?) and the whole thing about wanting to wait for Vector (excuse to do nothing, then an excuse to have a pointless argument when they arrived), oof, why are you NOT voting webadict?

Yes, yes, he's a 'fruit vendor'. You ever hear of the fucking witch in storybooks giving out poisoned apples? No?

Also re: the amount of people who still want to consider my posts as lazy, passive etc I'm just going to re-remind you that my pressure on SD already got us a confirmed non-town player, while you have done... what? So vote yourselves first for laziness, thanks. (This is a joke. Do not actually vote for yourself.)

ToonyMan
Yeah I agree with this. It also really bothers me that Caz thought Web and Vector "might be masons"?

This comment really comes off odd to me, Caz?

What bothers you about it? Is it the totally spooky way that everyone started claiming masons afterwards?

Hector13
So far we have 2 claimed masons, Luckyowl and Toony, a non-SK and night only? And Shadow with Toaster.

Secretdorf has claimed survivor, Tric has claimed Miller.

Assuming everyone is being honest, and a 3-player scum team, that leaves potential scum between webadict, vector, juicebox, NQT, Caz, and me, with a side of Luckyowl and Toony.

WHY would you?!

I find it highly unlikely that there's 4 town masons, though. It's perfectly possible for them to be of different alignment.

Vector
I think it is unlikely that NQT and Caz are on the same scumteam; if Wubba is scum, then NQT is probably on the same team as Web.

I'm town and I strongly urge anyone out there who can inspect me to do so. I can confirm someone and am going for one of {NQT, Caz, and Webadict}. I'm claiming in hopes that scum don't have multiple blockers, so that one of me and Secretdorf goes through.

Cool, confirm me, but please not with a bullet -.-

We can confirm webadict too, but earlier. ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2021, 04:18:14 pm »

Oops, thought I had already posted this.

Yes, I have a targeted action.

For D1, I'm willing to trust you, Wubba. I can buy Caz and Juicebox as scum. I would guess the 3rd is LuckyOwl over Hector (and I'm town BTW 9_9). It's mod-WIFOM but if I were designing this game I would really want a townie and a member of the scumteam in the same non-SK masonchat.

Still, what this is looking like for me is a Caz or juicebox lynch by process of elimination. I prefer Caz (am only not voting due to not knowing where we are WRT hammer) because they are probably more dangerous as scum. Toony can try to confirm LO and then we can figure out what's going on with juicebox.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2021, 04:22:40 pm »

^ predictable.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 25, 2021, 04:23:45 pm »

I don't think you're lazy or passive. It's literally just process of elimination.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 25, 2021, 04:31:34 pm »

Shit, if after (I'm assuming... millions?) of games of mafia the strategy you're going on is still that unreliable we might as well just give up and start flipping coins.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2021, 04:40:10 pm »

Uh... PoE is one of the best ways of finding scum, the only issue is you need a lot of information to do it.

Usually I wouldn’t be doing it on D1, but half the town has claimed, so there’s enough to work with.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 25, 2021, 04:49:42 pm »

Caz, you're right. Maybe lazy is the wrong word for it. Perhaps the word that better fits is... unconvincing? I dunno, your arguments don't pack enough punch, and they don't feel Town-sided. Not that finding Secretdorf isn't great, but by that logic, the rest of the Town have found ~6 non-Mafia, and that sort of leaves the remaining 6 of us in a bit of a bind here.

I have a role that can be confirmed to exist. If you want, you can claim a role and that would probably keep you alive longer.

Sorry for the outburst before. You're right, it was out of line. I got irrationally angry because I saw what was probably a Town player being very scummy and unnecessarily combative, and that's my thing, and I couldn't really begin to explain where and how what they were doing was wrong, because they were also Town, but also only voting for Town. That's a dumb reason to get angry, but they were on the path to losing and leading everyone down it, and I probably should've explained that better than I did.

So, you are right. I probably deserve to be lynched. All I really wanted to do was slap SHAD0W out of imaginarylan, and to start acting Town.

So, might as well claim now. I think if you can justify your survival, that's probably all you need. juicebox will probably fall on the blade from lack of posting.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 25, 2021, 05:04:33 pm »

Pretending that roles conflate with alignment, why?

Both masons and 'fruit vendor' (now that I looked it up, appears to be very cute) aren't restricted to town alignment.

You wanting everyone to reveal their role day 1 is hilariously scummy and if the rest of the town can't see it, that's their loss.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 25, 2021, 05:54:03 pm »

I can easily see webadict as scum-ally. Then again, you are also under suspicion Caz.

What do the votes look like right now Mamobo?[Webadict, mind bringing it up]

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 25, 2021, 05:55:33 pm »

Pretending that roles conflate with alignment, why?

Both masons and 'fruit vendor' (now that I looked it up, appears to be very cute) aren't restricted to town alignment.

You wanting everyone to reveal their role day 1 is hilariously scummy and if the rest of the town can't see it, that's their loss.
It's not an alignment check, it's a role check, so you can't lie later. There are six of us that are in the same boat. Claiming now keeps you trustworthy because you are forced to keep records of your movements, and it minimizes your chances of being able to help anyone but Town. There are good reasons to claim, even if in part, during this Day.

How's about this instead: Tell everyone which of the "Town" six you think can't be trusted, and which of the "scum" five you think can be trusted. You gotta give a little bit here. If I am wrong about you being Mafia, why should I believe you? Granted, if you think I'm Mafia, I can see why you don't trust me, but if you pick someone to trust, and they tell you to do something, will you do it?

I have listed my trusts. I have listed my scums. I have claimed my role. And my vote is no longer my own. I am beholden to the trusted, for they derive their power through trust.

Still at work, Tric. Give me an hour.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57