Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Gatekeeper Gods: A God Game At the Crossroads between Realities (11/-1000)  (Read 6238 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Gatekeeper Gods: A God Game At the Crossroads between Realities (10/-1000)
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:42 pm »

Skills and skills are the same thing, difference was caused by my writing that out at about 7' in the morning after working overnight.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2021, 07:35:48 am »

Skills and skills are the same thing, difference was caused by my writing that out at about 7' in the morning after working overnight.

No I meant the whole point of an RPG system is to model real life. Since you're putting a model system into a system that is already modeling real life it isn't clear what it is actually supposed to accomplish.

Like what does this actually do? What is the practical difference between someone "on the system" and not on the system? The main thing would be the difference between mundane skills and system Skills. So what is the difference between a random warrior on the system and off?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2021, 07:38:30 am »

Like what does this actually do? What is the practical difference between someone "on the system" and not on the system? The main thing would be the difference between mundane skills and system Skills. So what is the difference between a random warrior on the system and off?
My impression is that the main difference is that, ON the system, you don't have to have ever done something before or have (previously had) any idea how to do it to get a Skill, you just magically know it after levelling up.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2021, 07:51:56 am »

My impression is that the main difference is that, ON the system, you don't have to have ever done something before or have (previously had) any idea how to do it to get a Skill, you just magically know it after levelling up.
Furthermore, generally in system based fiction, the system itself will prevent degradation of skillfulness, or skill levels, allow the increase in skillfulness beyond what is actually physically possible (e.g. high level woodcutting allowing you to fell a tree in one chop with a mundane flint axe), and in general allow you to increase in power beyond what is normally physically feasible by simply increasing in level and attributes, generally by killing things or doing things related to your specific class (like, a baker baking bread until he can punch out a dragon, for example)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2021, 07:57:12 am »

Furthermore, generally in system based fiction, the system itself will prevent degradation of skillfulness, or skill levels, allow the increase in skillfulness beyond what is actually physically possible (e.g. high level woodcutting allowing you to fell a tree in one chop with a mundane flint axe), and in general allow you to increase in power beyond what is normally physically feasible by simply increasing in level and attributes, generally by killing things or doing things related to your specific class (like, a baker baking bread until he can punch out a dragon, for example)

There isn't any mechanic given for leveling up or improving skills. And from the sound of it you would have to have the mundane skills to get the non-mundane skill.

for example the "Melee" is a <general> skill gained by having at least basic qualification in a truly vast number of melee weapons, and allows one to use near any weapon they encounter in melee combat to a basic qualification

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2021, 08:23:14 am »

Under the current system*, The difference between "class" skills and the naturally "trained" skills people not under the system have is that skills simply granted by a class give you the Knowledge and a bit of "auto assistance" to do the skills needed for that class that you lack up to a basic standard, basic meaning "well enough to avoid seriously injuring yourself under normal circumstances", in the future I plan to massively increase the usefulness of classes and class granted skills, possibly even adding an actual leveling mechanic rather then leaving it as a number decided by a beings level of danger and usefulness.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2021, 07:56:24 pm »

Under the current system*, The difference between "class" skills and the naturally "trained" skills people not under the system have is that skills simply granted by a class give you the Knowledge and a bit of "auto assistance" to do the skills needed for that class that you lack up to a basic standard, basic meaning "well enough to avoid seriously injuring yourself under normal circumstances", in the future I plan to massively increase the usefulness of classes and class granted skills, possibly even adding an actual leveling mechanic rather then leaving it as a number decided by a beings level of danger and usefulness.

But you need skills and abilities to get the classes in the first place? So you need skills to get skills that gives you pleb-tier knowledge?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2021, 07:27:36 pm »

I give up, even I'm starting to think I need to totally rewrite it into a more sensible form.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2021, 12:20:56 pm »

I’ll update probably tonight. I wanted to work out a version so you could see if you wanted to make it this turn or not, I’ll try to do a price check first if you get it up

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2021, 09:09:32 pm »

"THE System" - A not quite MMO Style Game lit system (rewritten outta hell)
  • Under the System, all beings and items are given a 'level' between 0 and 10.000, this 'level' is defined by their observed and theoretical combat strength, general utility, and unique abilitys.
  • Under the System, all SO beings, Non sentient beings, and objects are scanned semi invasively to determine and record their overall abilities.
  • Under the System, all SO beings are given a "status" screen they can pull up by concentrating on, that records their physical attributes, skills, and unique traits in intense detail, and displays it in whatever way the being can best comprehend it, the blind will hear it, those who lack senses can feel it with their souls.
  • Upon initialization of the System, all sentient beings currently in the world, excluding gods will have the option to "opt into" the system, beings that do not or can not "opt into" the system can only be added afterwards at the request of a god, in addition, all beings natively born (defined as hatching, or else being 'born') into the world will automatically be "opted into" the system.
  • The System uses a single rating system for determining the rank of classes, skills, and objects, it goes: [BASIC] [NOVICE] [APPRENTICE] [ADEPT] [MASTER] [GRANDMASTER] [TRANSCENDENT], [BASIC] is only applied to things that are "level 0", while [TRANSCENDENT] is only applied to things that are above the level "cap" of 10.000, or else divine in nature.
  • The System will enable those under it, who have reached biological maturity, to choose one "class" every 100 to 1000 levels, a class contains a set of skills that allow them to functionally preform a job to a class rank equivalent standard, skills that are below the class rank equivalent standard will be brought up to the standard.
  • Under the system, skills are broken up into six classifications "General" "Wide" "Narrow" "Specialized" "Utility" and "SYSTEM" these Classifications are based upon how broadly they can utilized.
  • For example the "Melee" is a <general> skill gained by having at least basic qualification in a truly vast number of melee weapons, and allows one to use near any weapon they encounter in melee combat to its rank qualification. as a further example, "Blades" is a <wide> Skill, "Swords" is a <Narrow> Skill, and "Rapiers" is a <specialized> skill. Any Trades skills such as sneaking, butchering, or blacksmithing generally falls under the <utility> category.
  • only skills that directly pull upon the System for any functionality fall under the "SYSTEM" category, an example of such is the <Inspect> skill, which allows SO beings (and gods) to directly request information about something they can see, from the system, at [BASIC] this skill only gives information about name, and level or rank, but higher ranks may give history, stats, skills, and more information.
  • SO beings "Level up" as their skills improve, but the System can be run with an alternative leveling system that MUST be individually activated on a per mortal soul basis, those under this alternative leveling system do not level up through simply improving, in fact the system actively works to keep their skills from improving naturally- instead they gather EXP(Execution points)  through killing other creatures, each time they "level up" though this method they are given Statpoints they can expend to improve their body, and Skill points they can use to forcibly improve their skills.
  • The assistance given by Skills depends upon their Rank, with higher ranks giving both more and less assistance, more through allowing SO beings to gain more information through their skills, less because the system gradually reduces how much it assists them directly until it stops assisting entirely at the [ADEPT] level.
  • all non-<SYSTEM> skills can be gained both with and without a class, as they are a reflection of ones ability to utilize their abilities in a specific way, while all SO beings have innate access to System granted <SYSTEM> skills at basic rank. Skill ranks can be improved for skills through "getting better" to the point where the system recognizes the increase in skill, by successfully completing or defeating something/one at the next rank, or through repeated use in the case of <SYSTEM> skills.
  • The classes one can take are decided based upon their own abilities, skills, and situation, higher ranked classes being more specific in requirements, with the lowest [BASIC] ranked classes being the only classes without requirements. Examples of 'basic' ranked classes are (MILITIA), (GATHERER), and (ENTERTAINER)- which in turn give two skills each, (MILITIA) gives <Poleweapons> and <Tactics(defensive)>, (GATHERER) gives <Harvestry> and <Butchery>, and (ENTERTAINER) gives <Slight_of_hand> and <Music>. each rank above [BASIC] attaches 2 more skills to the relevant class.
  • The System has been given partial sentience, and the ability to slowly adapt, change, and integrate itself in other laws and systems to better serve the purposes of the gods.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:21:36 pm by crazyabe »
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2021, 10:07:38 pm »

"THE System" - A not quite MMO Style Game lit system (rewritten outta hell)
  • Under the System, all beings are given a 'level' between 0 and 10.000, this 'level' is defined by their observed and theoretical combat strength, general utility, and unique abilitys.
  • Under the System, all SO beings, Non sentient beings, and objects are scanned semi invasively to determine and record their overall abilities.
  • Under the System, all SO beings are given a "status" screen they can pull up by concentrating on, that records their physical attributes, skills, and unique traits in intense detail, and displays it in whatever way the being can best comprehend it, the blind will see it, those who lack senses can feel it with their souls.
  • Upon initialization of the System, all sentient beings currently in the world, excluding gods will have the option to "opt into" the system, beings that do not or can not "opt into" the system can only be added afterwards at the request of a god, in addition, all beings natively born (defined as hatching, or else being 'born') into the world will automatically be "opted into" the system.
  • The System uses a single rating system for determining the rank of classes, skills, and objects, it goes: [BASIC] [NOVICE] [APPRENTICE] [ADEPT] [MASTER] [GRANDMASTER] [TRANCENDIENT], [BASIC] is only applied to things that are "level 0", while [TRANCENDIENT] is only applied to things that are above the level "cap" of 10.000, or else divine in nature.
  • The System will enable those under it, who have reached biological maturity, to choose one "class" every 100 to 1000 levels, a class contains a set of skills that allow them to functionally preform a job to a class rank equivalent standard, skills that are below the class rank equivalent standard will be brought up to the standard.
  • Under the system, skills are broken up into six classifications "General" "Wide" "Narrow" "Specialized" "Utility" and "SYSTEM" these Classifications are based upon how broadly they can utilized.
  • SO beings "Level up" as their skills improve, but the System can be run with an alternative leveling system that MUST be individually activated on a per mortal soul basis, those under this alternative leveling system do not level up through simply improving, in fact the system actively works to keep their skills from improving naturally- instead they gather EXP(Execution points)  through killing other creatures, each time they "level up" though this method they are given Statpoints they can expend to improve their body, and Skill points they can use to forcibly improve their skills.
  • For example the "Melee" is a <general> skill gained by having at least basic qualification in a truly vast number of melee weapons, and allows one to use near any weapon they encounter in melee combat to its rank qualification. as a further example, "Blades" is a <wide> Skill, "Swords" is a <Narrow> Skill, and "Rapiers" is a <specialized> skill. Any Trades skills such as sneaking, butchering, or blacksmithing generally falls under the <utility> category.
  • only skills that directly pull upon the System for any functionality fall under the "SYSTEM" category, an example of such is the <Inspect> skill, which allows SO beings (and gods) to directly request information about something they can see, from the system, at [BASIC] this skill only gives information about name, and level or rank, but higher ranks may give history, stats, skills, and more information.
  • The assistance given by Skills depends upon their Rank, with higher ranks giving both more and less assistance, more through allowing SO beings to gain more information through their skills, less because the system gradually reduces how much it assists them directly until it stops assisting entirely at the [ADEPT] level.
  • all non-<SYSTEM> skills can be gained both with and without a class, as they are a reflection of ones ability to utilize their abilities in a specific way, while all SO beings have innate access to System granted <SYSTEM> skills at basic rank. Skill ranks can be improved for skills through "getting better" to the point where the system recognizes the increase in skill, by successfully completing or defeating something/one at the next rank, or through repeated use in the case of <SYSTEM> skills.
  • The classes one can take are decided based upon their own abilities, skills, and situation, higher ranked classes being more specific in requirements, with the lowest [BASIC] ranked classes being the only classes without requirements. Examples of 'basic' ranked classes are (MILITIA), (GATHERER), and (ENTERTAINER)- which in turn give two skills each, (MILITIA) gives <Poleweapons> and <Tactics(defensive)>, (GATHERER) gives <Harvestry> and <Butchery>, and (ENTERTAINER) gives <Slight_of_hand> and <Music>. each rank above [BASIC] attaches 2 more skills to the relevant class.
  • The System has been given partial sentience, and the ability to slowly adapt, change, and integrate itself in other laws and systems to better serve the purposes of the gods.

It is still confusing. Big picture practical wise it just lets people get assistance with low-tier skills with some minor information things? And "leveling up" skills past Adept basically just lets you level up?

8II Probably.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2021, 12:02:07 am »

Outer Influence can be used to claim gates yes?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2021, 12:31:27 am »

$$$pricecheck$$$
A Generic Afterlife & reincarnation system?
A large number of Mortal souls (Not living mortals)?
Harvesting a large number of mortal souls from beyond a gate?
Pulling a gate that is already in the world through another gate?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:39:06 am by crazyabe »
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2021, 02:18:07 am »

Pricecheck: Sentient creatures which communicate by exhaling swarms of small insects which are inhaled by message recipients (of any species) and directly trigger an understanding of the message in the recipients' brains/brain analogues?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8