Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory  (Read 12682 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-The Heist Is Afoot.
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2021, 10:14:23 pm »

Webadict: If I was mafia, I would have done something wrong as its my first time playing this game. I wouldn't have gone without raising suspicion. What have I done that makes you suspect me?
That's not a valid way of defending yourself. What you've just postulated is called Wine In Front Of Me (WIFOM), and it's basically saying that you wouldn't do something as scum, but that's what would make it a good excuse as scum, no? It's a fallacious argument. How can anyone trust that reasoning? It can be useful, but for the most part, I'm not willing to accept it as proof.

If I'm to be fair, and I suppose I should be, I think a lot of my suspicion of you is based around those opening arguments from each player. It's something of a gut reaction, and I honestly do feel like both of those two didn't realize there were 5 players in the game. Here's the problem with that: I genuinely understand their confusion. There's no good method of divining the number of players at the start of the game or by the role PM. The remainder is you and Vector by default.

The only other logical conclusion I can come up with is that they were working together, but that fails by virtue of them still thinking there's 3 players. A 2 to 1 odds against you be catastrophic. Now, here's where my argument could fall flat: Vector had initially entered the game as a non-playing Mafia IC. That'd be the only counter to my argument, but that still fits with why I am suspicious of Vector.

Would you agree or disagree?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2021, 10:19:41 pm »

Ah, I see I also missed reads in colors. I reread the opening post to verify that I hadn't misread. Thus, my list is as follows:

Luckyowl
Rose
Secretdorf
Vector

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2021, 10:32:13 pm »

Now, here's where my argument could fall flat: Vector had initially entered the game as a non-playing Mafia IC. That'd be the only counter to my argument, but that still fits with why I am suspicious of Vector.

I appreciate your overall argument, Web, but I'm not seeing how A -> B.

You said at some point that you would argue based on behavioral cues. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm suspicious of LO because of furnishing excuses for changes in behavior before anyone asked for them. "I will lose for sure if I act like I did before" in a beginner's game (while being essentially the only trusted townie in a recent, more heavy-powered game) doesn't make a lot of sense as a thought process for a town player.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2021, 10:52:33 pm »

Luckyowl was confused about this being a 3 player setup but I don't believe Rose was. Also Webadict I wasn't using WIFOM I was just asking your reasons to suspect me. I don't care about odds because even if you manage to lynch me, we'll have more data than we have now. Though I will prefer that we lynch either Rose or Vector today.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2021, 11:00:14 pm »

Here's another question: how did you get from this:

In both of your teams, you advocate for Rose, then, yes? I'd be willing to test that out.

to this?

Rose

Webadict.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2021, 11:21:11 pm »

I'd say its {Rose, Web} with Rose being the Godfather.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:33 am »

LuckyOwl & Rose: Who do you suspect most now? LuckyOwl why aren't you hunting for scum and what is your take on Web and Vector? You said you won't be playing this game like other games. Is that because you are scum?

I still think it is either Rose/Web or Rose/Vector. Web defending Rose could mean Rose is the mafia godfather. Vector voting Web could be distancing in case they're the scumteam.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2021, 08:23:47 am »

LuckyOwl & Rose: Who do you suspect most now? LuckyOwl why aren't you hunting for scum and what is your take on Web and Vector? You said you won't be playing this game like other games. Is that because you are scum?

Well, it's mostly due to an epic scumhunting from another game that I have been absent here. My take on Vector and Web is that they are neutral. I can't really get a good read on them they always seem like wolf in sheep's clothing to me. Which is bad, but true. They are well experience to play in anyways so when they are playing I become too skeptical. Especially Webadict. So for the most part I let them interact and see if there's any slip. While I just work with the both of you. Rose and you.

Secretdorf: I think you're scum. Tell us you got bad memories yet asked me questions of my previous play? Just like Web said you're putting wine in front of me and it's not helpful if you are town. So do you think Mafia at this point is trying to act town? Do you think I'm scum, because of my absence here?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2021, 08:41:26 am »

No I think you are least likely to be scum because of some of your posts. Dunno why people keep saying I'm using WIFOM. Why am I not helpful to town when day 1is all about random voting, asking questions and collecting information to use later?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2021, 08:47:33 am »

Secretdorf: if you were to be coached by Vector or web. Who would it be?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:26 am »

I'm not sure about being coached as it would be almost the same. I don't think there will be any difference.
@Luckyowl what is your read on Rose?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2021, 09:03:55 am »

I'm not sure about being coached as it would be almost the same. I don't think there will be any difference.
@Luckyowl what is your read on Rose?

Rose is more likely town. She and thought there was only 3 players with there being only one mafia. If we were mafia we would've known that we had another team member. That's why I think you are being groomed by Vector. You asked me some questions that you would've known about. Like how I forget to read the opening post and such. Even these post you're posting is part of my web. SD do you think the mafia will slip up?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2021, 09:06:40 am »

Here's another question: how did you get from this:

In both of your teams, you advocate for Rose, then, yes? I'd be willing to test that out.

to this?

Rose

Webadict.

This is pretty weak. You're also obfuscating that Webadict is basing them according to our opening post.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:58 am »

The ICs hadn't received role PMs yet. So I can't understand how all of that makes sense. If Rose was mafia, she might have been confused about her being the only person in scumchat?

I don't think mafia will slip up. Right now a lynch would give us quite some information. I'd be fine with lynching any out of {Web, Rose, Vector}. But I don't get why Vector is more likely to be scum. So I'd prefer a Web lynch. If they are town we could lynch Vector because I am town and the 3p setup confusion thing makes me slightly rule out a Luckyowl/Rose scum team. After that it will be between us newbies though. What do you think about this plan? I see no reason to not act on it.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2021, 09:17:48 am »

We could even exchange web with vector to lynch on D1. I'm gonna do this unless there's something wrong with it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11