Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gremlins  (Read 688 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
gremlins
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

a gremlin appeared at my fort. couldn't find ANY mention of gremlins in the wiki. what are they?

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gremlins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

Hahaha... I never saw a gremlin until I was teaching my friend how to play. He had just set up the farming, and a gremlin appeared and pulled the lever, flooding his fortress. It was hilarious (to me, at least). The gremlin was killed by a cat near instantaneously, but it had done the damage.

So, to answer your question, I think that they're like kobold and goblin thieves, but rather than steal goods or children, they pull levers. At least, that was my only experience.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

Alas, an army of warcats could save the day!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:11:00 am »

Gremlins are on the Creatures page of the wiki.  I've added a redirect so that searching for Gremlin or Gremlins will take you there.  They're chasm monsters, and only appear on "evil" maps, apparently. And as has been noted, they pull levers.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:08:00 am »

neat.   :D

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

Aside from that, they are pretty weak. And do not double when they touch water.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

I've seen a gremlin on my current fort map which is most definitely /not/ evil.  The population outside consists of the occasional pack of wolves, regular herds of deer, and the odd cougar now and again -- The wildlife agree: wilderness at worst.

Worthy of note: gremlins are invisible at first, but seem to actually have a definite spawn place (perhaps the chasm) and path towards a lever.  (My dwarves discovered him most of the way towards the farm-flooding lever, just inside of the dining room which has to be pathed through to get there.)  Following that, the gremlin led a footchase straight back to the chasm.  Upon his reaching it, he promptly disappeared and has not returned.

Sadly, there were no traps guarding the chasm just yet, so I didn't get to see his slimy little head split clean open.  Then again, all he was guilty of at that point was looking strangely and scaring a couple dwarves.  Barons may order a hammering over that sort of thing, but surely us dwarfmongers are better.

Perhaps we are all in this thread guilty of worsening the plot of the merely curious gremlin.  I shall name the next gremlin I see, "George, the mostdoomed".

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

gremlins avoid traps.  they are easy pray for cats and dogs tho.   :(

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

Given a gremlin's gift for mechanical things, I wouldnt put it past them to even rework traps so that they hit dwarves instead. Now wouldnt THAT be a kick in the teeth?
ho watches those that watch us???

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

Gremlins can occur in any chasm-type environment, and they have a few additional abilities beyond those listed here.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!