Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: Competitive Evolution (Turn 18) (11/15)  (Read 35920 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution (Turn 18) (11/15)
« Reply #480 on: March 18, 2021, 09:56:18 am »

Am I allowed to form a new team? (Or to join the absent Team Pancake)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 18, 2021, 03:10:00 pm »

Am I allowed to form a new team? (Or to join the absent Team Pancake)

Naturegirl and Demonic may come back, but Kilojoule is probably gone for good. So you can be their replacement.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 18, 2021, 03:12:09 pm »

Team Pasta Vēlōcis

Vote:  A few changes.
 A number of changes occur in the Burrowing Blish. 

The first change is in the larynx.  The first pair of pharyngeal arches have been rotated up permanently against the bottom of the lower skull plate and above the mouth forming an upper mandible.  The mouth is much larger now and no longer opens and closes via a sphincter.  Instead, the second pair of pharyngeal arches have been modified so that they can be rotated via musculature into either of two positions (or anything in between)thus forming a lower mandible.  The first position is with the lower mandible rotated up against the upper mandible (thus closing the mouth).  The second position is with the lower mandible rotated down and away from the upper mandible (thus with the mouth fully open).  Naturally, the gills that were supported by these arches have been lost.  Additionally, there is a section of the pharynx behind these new jaws where additional gills and pharyngeal arches have been lost, thus forming a buccal cavity.  Additionally, the epistyle has been shortened so that it is entirely located behind the buccal cavity.  The jaws and buccal cavity work together to form a buccal pump, with the animal starting with the mouth closed, buccal cavity contracted, and the gill slits closed.  Next the mouth opens and the buccal cavity expands, drawing water (and food) into the buccal cavity.  In the final step, the mouth is closed, the gill slits opened, and the buccal cavity is contracted.  This forces the water past the epistyle (which food particles adhere to) and out through the gills.  As this increases the efficiency of the gills and epistyle, there is also a further reduction in the number of gills slits (and their accompanying  pharyngeal arches) and an accompanying reduction in the length of the epistyle.

Another change is that the animal has developed a number of fins on it’s body.  These fins (except for the tail fin) consist of a thick  cartilaginous member surrounded by flesh and followed by a number of thinner spines with the skin pulled taught over them.  None of these fins (except the tail fin) are connected to the spine.  Instead they are anchored to muscle.  These include:  a larger dorsal fin, a smaller dorsal fin (known as an adipose fin) behind the larger dorsal fin, an anal fin behind the anus, a pair of pectoral fins behind the last pai of gill slit and a set of slightly smaller pelvic fins in front of the anus.  Together, they give the animal considerably more maneuverability in the water.  In addition to the above, the animal now has a heterocercal tail fin with the vertebral column extending along the upper part of the tail fin, the animal having exchanged burrowing ability for increased speed.

Finally, the animal’s skin is covered with mucus glands, which secrete a thin coating of mucus to reduce friction with the water.  Additionally, the animal can increase the production of mucus in the event that something tries to bite it.

SS Vote:  a couple of extra things.

The animal also has the following changes.

First, a pair of primitive lungs form on either side of and connected to the esophagus. These allow the animal to gain supplemental oxygen in oxygen deprived shallow waters.

Second, the animal develops a set of interlocking and jointed bony plates covering the head and thorax, as well as the lower jaw.  The forward head and jaw plates, furthermore, come together in a way that is self-sharpening.  This gives the animal the ability to bite off chunks of flesh from other animals (although the animal is still a filter feeder, so any chunks are simply spat out with this mainly serving as a form of defense).

Third, a pair of nerve endings, reaching out from either side of the brain, have evolved into primitive eyes peering out through holes in either side of the head plate.

Edit:  added eyes to the SS Vote.
Wait, you can vote for all these unconnected things at once? If so i may have to add some more modifications to my own votes...

Wait. I just came to check things out. Curious Cat is asking for too many separate mutations.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 18, 2021, 03:57:11 pm »

Team Pasta Vēlōcis

Vote:  A few changes.
 A number of changes occur in the Burrowing Blish. 

The first change is in the larynx.  The first pair of pharyngeal arches have been rotated up permanently against the bottom of the lower skull plate and above the mouth forming an upper mandible.  The mouth is much larger now and no longer opens and closes via a sphincter.  Instead, the second pair of pharyngeal arches have been modified so that they can be rotated via musculature into either of two positions (or anything in between)thus forming a lower mandible.  The first position is with the lower mandible rotated up against the upper mandible (thus closing the mouth).  The second position is with the lower mandible rotated down and away from the upper mandible (thus with the mouth fully open).  Naturally, the gills that were supported by these arches have been lost.  Additionally, there is a section of the pharynx behind these new jaws where additional gills and pharyngeal arches have been lost, thus forming a buccal cavity.  Additionally, the epistyle has been shortened so that it is entirely located behind the buccal cavity.  The jaws and buccal cavity work together to form a buccal pump, with the animal starting with the mouth closed, buccal cavity contracted, and the gill slits closed.  Next the mouth opens and the buccal cavity expands, drawing water (and food) into the buccal cavity.  In the final step, the mouth is closed, the gill slits opened, and the buccal cavity is contracted.  This forces the water past the epistyle (which food particles adhere to) and out through the gills.  As this increases the efficiency of the gills and epistyle, there is also a further reduction in the number of gills slits (and their accompanying  pharyngeal arches) and an accompanying reduction in the length of the epistyle.

Another change is that the animal has developed a number of fins on it’s body.  These fins (except for the tail fin) consist of a thick  cartilaginous member surrounded by flesh and followed by a number of thinner spines with the skin pulled taught over them.  None of these fins (except the tail fin) are connected to the spine.  Instead they are anchored to muscle.  These include:  a larger dorsal fin, a smaller dorsal fin (known as an adipose fin) behind the larger dorsal fin, an anal fin behind the anus, a pair of pectoral fins behind the last pai of gill slit and a set of slightly smaller pelvic fins in front of the anus.  Together, they give the animal considerably more maneuverability in the water.  In addition to the above, the animal now has a heterocercal tail fin with the vertebral column extending along the upper part of the tail fin, the animal having exchanged burrowing ability for increased speed.

Finally, the animal’s skin is covered with mucus glands, which secrete a thin coating of mucus to reduce friction with the water.  Additionally, the animal can increase the production of mucus in the event that something tries to bite it.

SS Vote:  a couple of extra things.

The animal also has the following changes.

First, a pair of primitive lungs form on either side of and connected to the esophagus. These allow the animal to gain supplemental oxygen in oxygen deprived shallow waters.

Second, the animal develops a set of interlocking and jointed bony plates covering the head and thorax, as well as the lower jaw.  The forward head and jaw plates, furthermore, come together in a way that is self-sharpening.  This gives the animal the ability to bite off chunks of flesh from other animals (although the animal is still a filter feeder, so any chunks are simply spat out with this mainly serving as a form of defense).

Third, a pair of nerve endings, reaching out from either side of the brain, have evolved into primitive eyes peering out through holes in either side of the head plate.

Edit:  added eyes to the SS Vote.
Wait, you can vote for all these unconnected things at once? If so i may have to add some more modifications to my own votes...

Wait. I just came to check things out. Curious Cat is asking for too many separate mutations.

Huh?  I was under the impression that I was previously voting for too few.  How many should I cut out for later? Is it enough to get rid of the mucus glands in the skin?  Or do I need to reduce the main vote to just the jaws and buccal pump, and make the fins the ss vote?

Edit:  just removed the mucus glands because they were unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:02:51 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:19 pm »

Team Pancake

Mutation: Decomposer

These plants have mutated to be able to better break down dead animals and vegetation for nutrients. A seed can easily take root and use a dead body for a starting boost to it's initial growth. This has the added benefit of returning unneeded nutrients to the soil as it decomposes these things.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:26:37 pm by TricMagic »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 19, 2021, 07:24:53 am »

SS vote:Countershading (try to fuck this one up)

I'll just do it in reverse.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 19, 2021, 01:10:47 pm »

<snip>

[/qoute]

Huh?  I was under the impression that I was previously voting for too few.  How many should I cut out for later? Is it enough to get rid of the mucus glands in the skin?  Or do I need to reduce the main vote to just the jaws and buccal pump, and make the fins the ss vote?

(Emphasis added)

Any possibility of getting an answer to my question?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 19, 2021, 01:26:12 pm »

<snip>

[/qoute]

(Emphasis added)

Your answer is in your own question...

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 19, 2021, 01:46:10 pm »

<snip>

(Emphasis added)

Your answer is in your own question...

My question contains two possible answers.

The first (which I did anyway because King Zultan’s changes to the skin made it unnecessary) was about removing the part about the mucus glands in the skin.  This represents the minimum possible change necessary.

The second was about paring things down so that the main vote only included the first item (I.e. the jaws and buccal pump), and using the SS vote for the second item (I.e. fins).  This represents the maximum possible change necessary.

So basically what I am asking is if my vote (as currently amended) is still asking too much, and if so, how much more I need to pare things down?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:20:01 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 19, 2021, 03:03:55 pm »

"The second is to..." repair that '[/qoute]' tag that's making those pyramids ever more horrible to read?

;)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 19, 2021, 04:21:23 pm »

"The second is to..." repair that '[/qoute]' tag that's making those pyramids ever more horrible to read?

;)
[/quete]

Fuxed.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 19, 2021, 04:34:59 pm »

Think more that each vote both regular and ss trying to get too much that partily seperate(Rearanging existing stuff works).

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 19, 2021, 05:54:11 pm »

The second was about paring things down so that the main vote only included the first item (I.e. the jaws and buccal pump), and using the SS vote for the second item (I.e. fins).  This represents the maximum possible change necessary.

This. Your initial requests were too far apart.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 19, 2021, 08:57:37 pm »

I just changed my votes.  How do they look, now?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2021, 09:37:34 am »

I just changed my votes.  How do they look, now?

Yes, new fins and a set of modifications to the mouth parts, correct?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35