Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ALCHEMY  (Read 746 times)

Quizumba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
ALCHEMY
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:49:00 pm »

I always loved occultism and alchemy, I feel sad that alchemy is disabled on DF.

my suggestion is to base alchemy on real medieval books like:

Magia Naturalis
https://holybooks-lichtenbergpress.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Natural-Magick.pdf

Academic explanation of the book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbLe1DSyGY

in-game effects the potions described in the books have a range of funny effects that can make the FUN on the game even bigger

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: ALCHEMY
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 08:08:57 pm »

Yes! Alchemy is one of the things probably coming with the myth and magic arc, probably taking random ingredients to produce potions with random effects. It's possible now, and I have done it for Spellcrafts, to just make custom reactions for different recipes for a "potion" alcohol or edible (preferably a prepared fish, I've found, as anyone can consume fish). But usually these require a different recipe for every different multi-ingredient potion or creation you want.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 03:23:50 pm »

I prefer to add experimenting into fortress and/or adventure mode. So your necromancer create powerful or just meaty pets for fort or humanoid workers that not need to eat, drink or sleep, but also breed fast.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 06:06:41 pm »

I could see applications in medicine (what if the guy your king hired really did create something able to make its drinker live forever? On the reverse, what if this potion was a maddening compound of mercury?).
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Urist mcbayblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 01:21:25 am »

It would be cool if the player could experiment with throwing together random extracts and whatnot together to make various "elixirs" (might give you brain tumors, might regenerate your leg). Testing whatever random crap you alchemist comes up with on elven "volunteers" would be fun.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 09:11:21 am »

It would be cool if the player could experiment with throwing together random extracts and whatnot together to make various "elixirs" (might give you brain tumors, might regenerate your leg). Testing whatever random crap you alchemist comes up with on elven "volunteers" would be fun.
Game already have potions-like thing, but hidden in worldgen and lore. Why night trolls grind vermins and how they mutate their spouses?